AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: WHat do you think of this "Mortal Kombat movie preview"?
Damn, this looks really good, very promissing 13 39.39%
Looks good, but I dunno, don't trust trailer too much 15 45.45%
Meh, another videogame movie that will probably suck 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-06-09, 17:14   Link #21
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Spoiler for snip:
Correct for certain games, they may be. But with regards to Johnny Cage, I think it would have been a lot better if he could play a much more active part in the story rather than some undercover agent who gets killed off at the beginning of the movie. I always thought him way too good a character for him to go to waste. And considering they'd already done just that in the second movie, killing him off that easily on the third doesn't really suit well with me.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:15   Link #22
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Hmmm... I noticed something at the vid.

Doesn't the actor playing Scorpion looks like Christian Bale? His voice was a bit similar too. Of course, I could be wrong. :/
A little but not the same, Bale's bone structure in cheeks and jawline is different it wouldn't look as "puffy" like Scorpion's =)

Back to general discussion: movie is set to come out in 2013

However:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/

Quote:
Warner Bros. looking to reboot franchise, but Threshold Entertainment filed new breach of contract lawsuit to prevent it from moving forward.
I hope that doesn't cause a problem
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:31   Link #23
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Can't say I'm not interested, but I won't get my hopes up...I don't mind a black Jax, but instead of bald, pale Baraka with razor teeth, I just saw a pierced black rastafari with claws o_0
Oh, and Sonia looks old :P Scorpion's looking good, if I watch this movie, it will be just for him.
Once I saw Barbie of Borg was playing Sonia, I was disappointed...

I can't stand her rofl, haven't been able to since she was cast on Voyager...

but I'll give it a shot once it comes out on video

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:46   Link #24
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

damn i was just a few mins off before posting this -_- damn my work.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2010-06-09 at 18:01.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:58   Link #25
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
I am surprised to see this becoming popular. Well, maybe I shouldn't be.

If they can't make a good movie without butchering and ignoring the source material then don't make one at all. They could've changed the characters' names and no one would've ever made the connection to Mortal Kombat and I wouldn't be rotating in my bed at night.

I hate it, I absolutely hate it. I pray to the flying spaghetti monster WB doesn't buy this.

The poll is lacking an "I don't like it without saying every video game movie made so far sucks" option.
yea yea yea, we've heard these rants before, where? oh yea of course, every time theres a movie made from a game/anime/book.

"Its not like the game" of course its not, its not a video game.
"its not like the book" of course its not, its not a book
"Its not like the anime" of course its not, its not the anime
Old 2010-06-09, 23:32   Link #26
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Kyero just pointed and important detail, what makes a game good is veru diferent from what makes a movie good. Now, games can have fantasious, even ridiculous plots lacking all type of logical scense and can be really good. (Supermario Brothers, Ninja Gaiden, Banjo Kazooie, etc...). Why? Very simple, cause the main importance on a videogame is gameplay, being original and bring the player lot of fun when playing in this "crasy world". But in a movie what one seek is a good story, good and logical plot among manu tother things diferent from a videogame, now tell me, an Italian Plumper who jumps over mushroms to rescue a princess from a gian turtle sounds like good material for a movie? I don't think so.

Okay, let's analyse the diferences between this preview and the Mortal Kombat universe. Let's point out Baraka and Reptile. If you ha dplayed the Mortal Kombat games you probably know that Baraka iand Reptile are inhabitants from the Outworld, that Baraka is the leader of the barbarian Tarkatan Hordes and Reptile is the last one of the Zatherrans... You think that explaining all of this at the movie would be a good idea? Wouldn't it sound a bit odd? A bit absurd? Have in mind, the Mortal Kombat movie could be seen by both fans of the Mortal Kombat franchside and people who don't know anything of the Mortal Kombat universe but want to see the movie, so maybe we can leave Reptile as the prehistoric warrior who eats heads and Baraka as the barbarian fighter with blades on his arms but we could make them phsycotics instead of inhabitans from another world... in my opinions this gives enough explanation and logic sence for people not familiarisated with the Mortal Kombat universe and the fans will still see their well known characters having the same powers and personalities but just with a slighty different background history. In my opinion, it do works fine.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was really good yes, but it was mostly another funny kung-fu movie who sticked away from the dark and gory Mortal Kombat games we had seen, much eople is liking this trailer because it shows a dark Mortal Kombat, the Mortal Kombat games are dark, that's why they caused so much polemic when released, that's why they're rated M (With the only exeption of MK-vs-DC) and that's why it was a big hit in its times and keeps being a hit on these days since everytime a Mortal Kombat game is released, it is top on sales.

Movies like Supermario Brothers, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat anihilation tried to stuck too much in Canon and that's why they ended spoiling the films. But of course, jumping too much out of canon ends in movies like Dragon Ball evolution or H-MAN, the movie wich is terrible, when making an adaptation, is important to make it balanced, taking the important from the Canon but giving it a logical set-up and a proper story.
Old 2010-06-10, 00:07   Link #27
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Here is an interview with the man behind the video.

http://www.collider.com/2010/06/09/k...-feature-film/
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 00:35   Link #28
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post

That interview answers lots of the questions we had here, good to know this has high posibilities of be made into an actual movie.

Thanks a lot for the source GuidoHunter_Toki!
Old 2010-06-10, 01:22   Link #29
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post

Hmm interesting interview.
This guy really knew Mortal Combat.

I really want to see how he directs a Mortal Combat movie.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 08:00   Link #30
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
yea yea yea, we've heard these rants before, where? oh yea of course, every time theres a movie made from a game/anime/book.

"Its not like the game" of course its not, its not a video game.
"its not like the book" of course its not, its not a book
"Its not like the anime" of course its not, its not the anime
Taking note of what Evil Rick said about the balance of original material and movie adaptation, we're in cinematic history where we can create fantasy with a touch of reality as to not make it absurd. (see the matrix series)
It truly is generic, and has nothing to link or bring to the table as something that truly marks it as a merchandise of MK, rather it's completely stripped of any suspense of disbelief that as someone said, makes MK so popular and stuck in some kinda modern/futuristic American city with a generic 'I want the bad guys off my streets', here are reports of strange phenomenon and ooh, there's some kinda underground fight to the death tourney.

Come on, since when did we need to cross the X-files with Fight club? x.x;;
If this movie had another title, methinks I wouldn't be so bugged.
'Adaptation loosely based off the MK series':
Deathmatch!
But with that name 'Mortal Kombat' does come a set of pre-set connotations and references (beyond the personal history of two characters) and as Yoko mentioned, there was the unique personality, traits and personal history of all the characters as well as fighting moves and style and the world.
It’s in another realm for crying out loud, to include that much matching the style of the movie, wouldn’t be totally absurd.

That's totally been stripped off in here, there's sticking too much to the original to make it seem too absurd and then there's stripping away too much of the beloved elements of what gained the fanbase in the freaking first place and then still adding the same name to it.
At least 'the dark knight' was correct in that aspect. You hear it and don't think so much of 'batman' but can mentally envision a broader scope for what this movie is to be and how it pans out.

But MK... ugh, that trailer did nothing for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel
Can't say I'm not interested, but I won't get my hopes up...I don't mind a black Jax, but instead of bald, pale Baraka with razor teeth, I just saw a pierced black rastafari with claws o_0
Oh, and Sonia looks old :P Scorpion's looking good, if I watch this movie, it will be just for him.
Thank you Kafriel!! Truly, now i do remember Baraka from the games, the loss of reference is disorientating, lol.
Halfway during the trailer, I actually glanced at the title a few times just to reinforce what exactly I’m meant to be watching again?
And is anyone else noticing this:
'It looks cool!' auto response that I'm seeing here a fair bit? :\
Kinda curious to see more of ‘how’ it looks cool that you ‘definitely wanna watch it!’

I'm curious about it all in a 'casting a wary eye' on it sense, but will catch on DVD. Wouldn't pay for a cinema ticket for it though.
And Toki, thanks for the link, will check it out later

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 09:18   Link #31
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Since I got negrepped about it, I just HAVE to ask, was Jax originally black, because I remember him being tanned in the movies and white in the video games.
Quote:
'Adaptation loosely based off the MK series':
Deathmatch!
But with that name 'Mortal Kombat' does come a set of pre-set connotations and references (beyond the personal history of two characters) and as Yoko mentioned, there was the unique personality, traits and personal history of all the characters as well as fighting moves and style and the world.
It’s in another realm for crying out loud, to include that much matching the style of the movie, wouldn’t be totally absurd.
I will agree that giving them the names and having a deathmatch doesn't really make it a Mortal Kombat, but I expect Shang Tsung to have some sort of greater plan, besides drug dealing or whatever he's supposed to be doing in this movie, and involve Raiden or Liu Kang at the very least, even as other participants that Scorpion will help. Not saying that an MK from a certain character's POV is impossible (Sub-zero mythologies was great), but some elements should always be around (kinda like how most FFs involve world destruction and a balance of crystals).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 10:05   Link #32
Theowne
耳をすませば

Mystery Solved

Quote:
There we have it, folks. It's neither a game trailer or a movie trailer, it's an expensive "proof of concept" video from director Kevin Tancharoen, who hoped to get a new film off the ground.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 11:20   Link #33
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

btw I actually thought the old Mortal Kombat movies were good, prob one of the few good cross overs.
Old 2010-06-10, 12:02   Link #34
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Since I got negrepped about it, I just HAVE to ask, was Jax originally black, because I remember him being tanned in the movies and white in the video games.
Quote:
Jax was the first African-American character in the Mortal Kombat series and made his debut in Mortal Kombat II.
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Jax_Briggs

And both the movies and the games portrayed him as such. I'll agree that he looks a bit tanned more than black, but the entire term 'black' is kind of a misnomer for most African-Americans as it is.
Old 2010-06-10, 12:04   Link #35
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Still looks tanned to me...
Old 2010-06-10, 12:38   Link #36
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

excuse me while i change my pants.

that's a pretty solid concept video. especially if they keep it rated R and aimed towards its original audience (that is, those who played the games in the early 90s), it could be a mild success.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 12:53   Link #37
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
white in the video games
.....are we talking about the same guy?

^The original Jax. Well, that's....an interesting perspective.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 12:59   Link #38
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Uhm, yeah?
Old 2010-06-10, 13:24   Link #39
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Good news people, the New Morta Kombat game has been anounced!

Check all information here.
Old 2010-06-10, 15:44   Link #40
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Jax_Briggs

And both the movies and the games portrayed him as such. I'll agree that he looks a bit tanned more than black, but the entire term 'black' is kind of a misnomer for most African-Americans as it is.
Tell me about it. Black American's need to chill more on that
(As we politically use the term 'black british', coming from Africa or the Carribean doesn't matter much, given that we know where our ethnicity originated from hundreds of years ago.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
.....are we talking about the same guy?

^The original Jax. Well, that's....an interesting perspective.
Looks black to me given the gif and the original old games too.
Eitherway, doesn't seem to completely be a new movie then?
What's a 'proof of concept'? I know that it's a clip i order to try to get a movid studio to fund it, but is there another meaning that I'm missing?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote