Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 12:05   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnymX View Post
Aniplex is production, distribution company of Rurouni Kenshin anime. They also are one of copyright owners together with Fuji TV and Shueisha. So they will definitely be involved. Rurouni Kenshins 15th Anniversary website is lunched by them.

Also Tokyo Mx started rebroadcasting Rurouni Kenshin Tv anime on April 7 so I doubt that this will be complete remake.
It's funny you should mention that... That was the night I arrived in Tokyo from Hiroshima, and the night of that 7.1 aftershock. I had the TV on and was a little wired from the adrenaline, and was surfing around for something other than news I couldn't understand the details of... As I recall, "Dog Days" aired that night, and then I was surprised to see the first ep of RK!
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 12:47   Link #42
canza

I'm actually hoping for the same composers of the OVA's and the original series to do the music. Same with the artists for the OP and ED, especially "It's Gonna Rain".

And anyone who supports this has to have a sig or avy of anything Kenshin Related. I need to find one.
Old 2011-04-18, 12:56   Link #43
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's funny you should mention that... That was the night I arrived in Tokyo from Hiroshima, and the night of that 7.1 aftershock. I had the TV on and was a little wired from the adrenaline, and was surfing around for something other than news I couldn't understand the details of... As I recall, "Dog Days" aired that night, and then I was surprised to see the first ep of RK!
The rebroadcast was based on the original series or the HD airing of the original series ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 13:02   Link #44
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

This means if its a complete reboot which Im hoping it is, epi 30 will be redone....this makes my year!!

Jinchuu arc finally properly animated? I can die happy.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 13:05   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
The rebroadcast was based on the original series or the HD airing of the original series ?
I believe it was HD but I wouldn't swear to it. It was 1 AM and I was pretty geeked on adrenaline and Pocari Sweat.

I wonder if this will provide incentive for Watsuki-sama to finally write the manga he originally planned - the tale of Yahiko, Tsubame and their son?
Old 2011-04-18, 13:10   Link #46
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by canza View Post
And anyone who supports this has to have a sig or avy of anything Kenshin Related. I need to find one.
Way ahead of you there.

I'm with Enzo regarding my sentiments on this matter. Rurouni Kenshin was a defining series in my fandom of anime. While it may not occupy any spot on my current Top 5, it is nonetheless an all-time favorite of mine and the only series I have read the manga for entirely in Japanese (I acquired most of the series while living in Japan and finished it out years ago via a Christmas gift from my wife.)

The Kyoto Arc is, to this day, one of the most perfect stories ever told from beginning to end and is one of best animated adaptations of a manga story ever made. The first time I ever watched it I remember being moved to tears when Kenshin left Kaoru for the road to Kyoto. It is one of the most moving moments in any story I have ever seen, animated or not. Almost as moving is the moment when, upon their return, Kaoru turns to him and says, "Okaerinasai."

You simply do not find such depth or complexity of story or characters in all but a scant few anime or manga anymore, or even beforehand. Rurouni Kenshin is one of those series that - despite its many Shounen trappings - proves itself to be something far more than simply an exceptional example of the genre. This isn't just another series about beating the bad guy of the moment or overcoming seemingly impossible odds. There is real drama here. There is romance, friendship, and possibly the greatest story ever told about the search for redemption and the bloody and rocky road that must be traveled in order to find it.

Whatever this new project turns out to be, I was on board to watch it from the moment I read the announcement. And if, all things willing, we do end up getting a series reboot I predict epic things will be coming our way.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 13:13   Link #47
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

.... I..... eh...... what...... when..... how.....

What gloriously delicious madness is this announcement?!?!?!?!

inb4 we're suddenly trolled by it being the adventures of Kenji >.>

*CLEAVED*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 13:52   Link #48
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
You simply do not find such depth or complexity of story or characters in all but a scant few anime or manga anymore, or even beforehand.
Sounds like someone needs to read One Piece.
Old 2011-04-18, 14:05   Link #49
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sounds like someone needs to read One Piece.
I've been told as much by other anime fan friends of mine, but admittedly trying to get into such a long and huge series is daunting to say the least.

Nonetheless, I've never ruled out there being other series with similar qualities to RK. Just that there are not many that match it for what it accomplishes.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 14:22   Link #50
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I dont know how i feel about this. Im a firm believer in "if it aint broke dont fix it" looking forward to more details
Old 2011-04-18, 14:28   Link #51
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

best news ever!

Hopefully Jinchu arc included in whatever they decide to do. This has completely made my day.
Old 2011-04-18, 14:39   Link #52
Vicious108

Quote:
A given - Mayo Suzukaze-done must be back as Himura. No reason to think she won't, but she damn well better be. I'm quite happy with all the surviving originals for the rest of the core cast - Kaoru, Yahiko, Sano, etc. - though it's been so long that I'm sure we'll see some changes. Any thoughts for Enishi?

My hope for this would be a "Brotherhood" type of deal - a condensed retelling of the first two seasons, with a full adaptation of the Jinchu Arc. I think it's unlikely we'd see only the Jinchu animated at this point - though Inuyasha went that route, they hadn't been gone nearly as long. I sincerely hope whatever route they take, Jinchu gets two cours - it needs 26 episodes to be done right.
I forgot about Enishi. Man I hope they get someone else to voice him, Nozomu Sasaki was terrible as him in that (equally bad) OVA. But seeing as he was recast for the PSP game too, they probably won't. *sigh*

And no thanks to any "condensed retelling". If it's gonna tell a story half-assedly, then it's better not to tell it at all.

As for the comparison to Inuyasha not being enough, how about an even older fighting shounen, Saint Seiya, which got 31 OVA episodes released thirteen years after the original series ended. I guess the series might be more popular than Kenshin, but it should still be feasible for the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnymX View Post
Aniplex is production, distribution company of Rurouni Kenshin anime. They also are one of copyright owners together with Fuji TV and Shueisha. So they will definitely be involved. Rurouni Kenshins 15th Anniversary website is lunched by them.

Also Tokyo Mx started rebroadcasting Rurouni Kenshin Tv anime on April 7 so I doubt that this will be complete remake.
Oh, wasn't aware of that. Pretty interesting, that definitely increases the chance of it being Jinchu rather than a full reboot.

Quote:
I believe it was HD but I wouldn't swear to it. It was 1 AM and I was pretty geeked on adrenaline and Pocari Sweat.

I wonder if this will provide incentive for Watsuki-sama to finally write the manga he originally planned - the tale of Yahiko, Tsubame and their son?
I'd rather see a Rurouni Sojiro tbqh. Or maybe a series of the younger generation in general, with Yahiko, Sojiro, Kenji and Yutaro.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 14:48   Link #53
Psycho_Kenshin

Great news!

Gotta say, there's really no need to redo the first two arcs. Plus it's not really financially feasible, most manga have a hard time getting more than 26 episodes these days, and even classics like Saint Seiya get sequels instead of reboots. This reboot talk is, well, crazy talk.

Now, bring on the Jinchuu arc baby! That's the holy grail of anime!
Old 2011-04-18, 14:50   Link #54
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This is the best news I've heard in years, relating to anime, anyway. Rurouni Kenshin never did get the justice it should have received in a TV animated adaptation.

The OVA was fucking awesome though... so yeah.

Do want. Full reboot, with the fat cut out and higher production values!
Old 2011-04-18, 14:50   Link #55
tyciol
*Artist

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Is it by default considered licensed since the original anime is?

I'm wondering if this is a continuation like a fourth season (like maybe properly doing the Revenge arc to replace those crammed-together OVAs) or if they're remaking the anime.

Any idea how many episodes are slotted?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 14:52   Link #56
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Kenshin View Post
Gotta say, there's really no need to redo the first two arcs. Plus it's not really financially feasible, most manga have a hard time getting more than 26 episodes these days, and even classics like Saint Seiya get sequels instead of reboots. This reboot talk is, well, crazy talk.

Now, bring on the Jinchuu arc baby! That's the holy grail of anime!
Problem: the original TV anime has not aged well. They look fucking horrible by today's standards.

I'm hoping for an Adaptation Distillation, removing the anime-filler completely and cutting down on Watsuki's long-windedness in the original story. Rurouni Kenshin's entire plot can be told in 26 episodes (though, 39 episodes would honestly be easier).
Old 2011-04-18, 14:57   Link #57
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
I wrote a little piece a few weeks ago about why RK is the greatest shounen ever, speculating on a 4th season as well.
Does FMA count as a seinen and thus not holder of that position?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 15:02   Link #58
Psycho_Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Problem: the original TV anime has not aged well. They look fucking horrible by today's standards.

I'm hoping for an Adaptation Distillation, removing the anime-filler completely and cutting down on Watsuki's long-windedness in the original story. Rurouni Kenshin's entire plot can be told in 26 episodes (though, 39 episodes would honestly be easier).
While I disagree with everything you just said, luckily I know what you're looking for is very unlikely to happen. They started airing the original series again in Japan on April 7th, as has been mentioned.

And, shockingly enough above poster, many people consider Rurouni Kenshin to be about 10,000 times better than FMA. I know I do.

Bring on the Kenshin, baby!!
Old 2011-04-18, 15:04   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I hope people understand that the OVAs have no connection to Rurouni Kenshin other than shared character names. They're not canon, Watsuki had no input and in fact has specifically repudiated their faithfulness to the manga - especially the ending. Their interest can be debated on its own merits, but isn't really relevant here.

The only reason I think a reboot is possible is because Brotherhood set a precedent for it - it has been done. I don't think there's any way the RK manga can be retold in less than 78 episodes if you really want to go the whole route - the Kyoto and Jinchu arcs each need a minimum of 26 episodes (the original Kyoto Arc was 34 episodes and note-perfect). FMA got 64 eps for it's reboot and I could see a way to make that work for RK - condense the first season into 12 or 13 eps, Kyoto into 25 or so and the last two cours for Jinchu. Whatever they decide, the most important thing in Jinchu must get at least two cours. It can't be told effectively in less than that. I can live with seeing the first two seasons condensed down - at least we've already got an extended version. I just can't bear the thought of that happening with Jinchu.

Besides FMA, the Inuyasha comparison is apt as well. They chose to pretend the pause had never happened and simply picked up where they left off, which is a possibility I could live with here. Problem with Inuyasha was, there was so much manga left unadapted that 26 eps was far, far too few to do it justice. I was grateful to have them, mind you, but it was still a shame. I'll be grateful to have whatever we get here, too, as long as we get Jinchu - it's been far longer than Inuyasha or FMA and RK is a better series than either - but it sure would be a shame if it wasn't done thoroughly after all that waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I've never seen FMA characterized as anything but shounen. But for me, RK is absolutely the better work. FMA is damn good, but RK has more drama, emotion, pathos and the best central character in anime or manga. It's not about bashing FMA, which I love - that's just how much respect I have for RK.
Old 2011-04-18, 15:07   Link #60
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
FMA isn't seinen, but shonen.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen