AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-07, 07:59   Link #181
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Looking at the way the launch was done, I think back to the old days of Thunderbirds.

But I noticed something; that they deliberately portray the transformation as one long sequence from the ground launch. The Earth engine essentially detaches bits off the rocket, and then put bits of the giant robot on. It is clearly meant to portray a type of symmetry. It is like detaching boosters in reverse.
Old 2014-04-07, 10:44   Link #182
dmaxzero

I am a mech hardcore, but this is not my show.
My silly wish is to have a Mechwarrior story type of show... Is not gonna happen, but I can hope.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 11:34   Link #183
Irenesharda

As my first series of the new season, I'm not sure about this series.

I like mecha, it's one of my favorite genres, but Captain Earth is not meeting my expectations.

The animation is beautiful, the music is nice and it has its good moments, but that's it.
I was extremely confused by this first episode. I can't tell who the good guys are or the bad guys. I don't have a clue what's going on. New characters just show up without introduction and the MC acts like this is the first time he's meeting them and yet somehow he knew them all his life. People don't act naturally and events are disjointed. The main thing I got the entire time here was confusion.

I will give it a few more episodes, but I expect some explanations and exposition, and soon.

As for the mech, it was okay. I'm not a fan of the giant arms, and I've never really liked the combining-in-mid-air mechas. I always saw them as inefficient as in all that time you're trying to combine, your enemy could easily strike you down. I really hope they keep the transformation sequences to a minimum.

All in all, I give this episode a 5.97/10. It needs work, but it has potential.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 12:28   Link #184
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I was extremely confused by this first episode. I can't tell who the good guys are or the bad guys. I don't have a clue what's going on.
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the point...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 12:30   Link #185
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

no way, 1 ep in and things aren't clear? what a terrible show.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 12:40   Link #186
Frontier

Suffice to say I've seen more confusing mecha premiers. By Bones standards, I don't think Captain Earth's was that bad .
Old 2014-04-07, 12:48   Link #187
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Looks like fighting pollution is no longer enough for Captain Planet...I mean Captain Earth

Images
GO PLANET
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 12:50   Link #188
Frontier

I've been wondering... Is the main mecha actually called Captain Earth, or is it just the "Earth Engine?"
Old 2014-04-07, 12:53   Link #189
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I've been wondering... Is the main mecha actually called Captain Earth, or is it just the "Earth Engine?"
I thought Captain Earth was the pilot's nickname
Old 2014-04-07, 13:02   Link #190
Death Usagi
Banned

The series looks interesting. I am looking forward to more.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 13:06   Link #191
klare

looking at the promo pic, there should be 4 pilots so maybe the others are called captain water, captain fire, captain air
Old 2014-04-07, 13:16   Link #192
Key Board
Carbon

Everything will be obvious soon
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 13:54   Link #193
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Looks like fighting pollution is no longer enough for Captain Planet...I mean Captain Earth

Images
GO PLANET
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
The pilot suits resemble the one from Evangelion greatly(Rei's white, Kaworu's dark blue-ish and Mari's pink) and why beside Daichi, every bodies else have such a fawned face?
Old 2014-04-07, 14:08   Link #194
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

*Reads pre-release info
*Watches first ep.
*Piecing things together

....So, I assume Teppei is the last TKG member? But there is still that 1% possibility he is just a red herring, with his aurora being round shape, not gear like.
If Teppei is not, that mysterious loli would be the next candidate considering her mini dimension is filled with gear like aesthetic. (I want to say she is Setsuna, but the hair style is clearly different)

Either way, if Teppei do turn out to be the last TKG member, PLEASE avoid the best friend treachery turn rival scenario that I hate with passion.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 14:10   Link #195
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While plenty is unexplained in this first episode (obviously), I thought they did alright in getting the basic plot threads going. We know who our main character is, we know his father's dead, we know that either Teppei and that girl they met are aliens or at the very least not normal humans, we know the girl in that mech probably isn't coming to have a pizza party with the people of Earth, etc .

There is plenty we need to find out about, but it's not like it was an episode that just flashed random images without any ability for us to interpret them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
The pilot suits resemble the one from Evangelion greatly(Rei's white, Kaworu's dark blue-ish and Mari's pink) and why beside Daichi, every bodies else have such a fawned face?
Seems like they all have a resolute expression on their face including Daichi. Somewhat acceptable consdiering they are seemingly the best line of defense for a planet of 6 billion people. A bit of pressure there .
Old 2014-04-07, 15:45   Link #196
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
no way, 1 ep in and things aren't clear? what a terrible show.
I expect there to at least be a coherent story plot line for me to follow in the first episode. It's pretty important. You know, first impressions and all that? However, I'm going to wait for a few episodes to see if it becomes better for me. I mean, Baccano is one of my favorite series, but if I had ever seen it episodically (instead of altogether) I would have gone crazy with it's disjointed story-telling, so I'm going to give this one a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Suffice to say I've seen more confusing mecha premiers. By Bones standards, I don't think Captain Earth's was that bad .
I guess, I'm not used to Bones? What are some examples of other Bones' series?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:52   Link #197
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Eureka Seven, Wolf's Rain, Darker than Black, Star Driver... Yhep, almost all of them started with people scratching their heads over what the heck was happening. Seems to be a Bones specialty
Old 2014-04-07, 15:53   Link #198
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Eureka 7
Darker than BLACK
Star Driver
Rahxephon
Angelic Layer
Fullmetal Alchemist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_(studio)
Old 2014-04-07, 15:56   Link #199
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
looking at the promo pic, there should be 4 pilots so maybe the others are called captain water, captain fire, captain air
Who's going to be Captain Heart then?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 16:10   Link #200
kuromitsu

Quote:
I expect there to at least be a coherent story plot line for me to follow in the first episode.
There was a coherent plot line. Daichi lives an empty life after his father's death, until he sees a mysterious "rainbow" on TV that awakens memories in him and jolts him into action. He goes back to Tanegashima to visit his father's grave and the facility that was his workplace, and gets some exposition on his father who was a great "captain". The audience learns that Daichi's dad died fighting some kind of enemy. Daichi goes on to relive memories of a decisive incident in his childhood which is connected to the mysterious rainbow (meeting Teppei and the mysterious girl). Meanwhile, a mysterious organization launches Sakamoto Maaya's character into space who apparently attacks Earth. Daichi, now inside the seemingly abandoned facility, starts following a mysterious girl who shows him/makes him see a vision of Sakamoto's character attacking Earth. Daichi decides he wants to do something about it, so he basically plops into a mecha and is launched to meet the enemy. The end, be sure to tune in next week!

Just because there was lots of lingo and unexplained things and mysterious characters doesn't mean the episode didn't make any sense whatsoever... You're supposed to follow the show to find out what's going on.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-04-07 at 16:40.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action