Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-01, 04:11   Link #901
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Whoa, you want an Arms Race?
How does upgrading a service rifle from a platform that's well over 40 years old constitute an arms race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hell. Imagine if NASA had 5% of the military's budget...
Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, but in all likelyhood you'll have the same amount of waste and corruption, just with a different name on the receipt. NASA is subject to the same politics and deals with the same companies.

NASA did an internal study on the Falcon 9, and estimated that it would've costed them approx. $4bil to create something similiar - It took SpaceX less than a bil to develop the Falcon 1, the Falcon 9, and the Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
The US military is a terrorist organization, a racist colonial front that needs to be shut down. Right wing war criminals need to be put in jail, the foreign bases closed.
Why, hello there left-wing internet rush limbaugh
Old 2013-05-01, 04:40   Link #902
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
NASA is still needed, though. The private sector isn't all that interested in space development because there's no safe profit in it. We need an agency not concerned with profit to figure out enough stuff so that someone can come along later and then use that stuff to make a profit.

Then the space industry will mirror the computer/smartphone industry and the gains and advancements will be ludicrous.

wtb orbital elevators plzkthx
Old 2013-05-01, 12:16   Link #903
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Cruz 2016
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/347052/cruz-2016

A guy born in Canada thinking of being elected to the White House on the Republican Party.
Is it me or something isn't supposed to work here ?
Old 2013-05-01, 12:29   Link #904
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Cruz 2016
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/347052/cruz-2016

A guy born in Canada thinking of being elected to the White House on the Republican Party.
Is it me or something isn't supposed to work here ?
he is a Canadian Manchurian candidate.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:31   Link #905
GDB

Quote:
Quote:
Behind the scenes, there is a palpable fear on the right that the GOP will nominate a moderate Republican in 2016.
My god, what a horrible thought!

Quote:
“We all see a path, and he does, too,” says a former Cruz colleague. “This isn’t someone who needs to be told the obvious. He didn’t run for the Senate to get cozy, so no one who knows him is surprised that he’s at least looking at it.”
Uhm, apparently he does. Not born in US, and not born to 2 US citizens abroad = not eligible. His Mother may be a natural born US citizen, but his father is a Cuban immigrant who didn't become a US citizen until 35 years after Ted Cruz was born. Unless they're such diehard birthers that they intend to play some weird "Obama got away with it!" card.

Quote:
Cruz isn’t worried that his birth certificate will be a problem. Though he was born in Canada, he and his advisers are confident that they could win any legal battle over his eligibility. Cruz’s mother was a U.S. citizen when he was born, and he considers himself to be a natural-born citizen.
Leave it to the GOP to put what they consider above the actual law.

Seriously, this article makes me wonder if the GOP intends to go even further radical in 2016. Are they really that stupid?
Old 2013-05-01, 12:31   Link #906
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends on how he fits into the whole "natural born citizen" section when it comes to the office of President of the United States of America.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:32   Link #907
Destined_Fate

Yeah...

I don't see how that would work out.

Was he born on American soil at least? I mean, I was born in the Philippines but it was on US soil(Military stuff) as my father was in the Navy so he made sure that was the case as he wanted me to be an American.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:32   Link #908
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Leave it to the GOP to put what they consider above the actual law.

Seriously, this article makes me wonder if the GOP intends to go even further radical in 2016. Are they really that stupid?
they are blaming the pass 2 loss on the GOP running RINOs. They want a real conservative this time.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:34   Link #909
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Yeah...

I don't see how that would work out.

Was he born on American soil at least? I mean, I was born in the Philippines but it was on US soil(Military stuff) as my father was in the Navy.
Not unless Calgary, Canada is US soil now.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:36   Link #910
Destined_Fate

I see, so he doesn't even have that...

I honestly don't see what they're doing. Especially over how much of a **** storm they caused with Obama and whether he was a US citizen or not. If they pull through with this than the Democrates will rightly point out this huge contradiction and the Republicans will be starting up another race war of their own doing.
Old 2013-05-01, 12:36   Link #911
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The most recent take on it is as follows:

Quote:
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural...citizen_clause
Old 2013-05-01, 12:38   Link #912
GDB

What does that third one even mean? I assume that's his only possible recourse, but it's so... wtf?
Old 2013-05-01, 12:42   Link #913
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Pork barreling aside, one of the main reasons the EU can get away with so little military is because American tax dollars pay for so much military.
The military expenditures of the EU as a whole are 25% higher than those of China and more than 100% higher than those of Russia. There is a lot of room for more efficient use of those funds, but outside of global ambitions that is plenty to support a credible defense.

Quote:
NASA is still needed, though. The private sector isn't all that interested in space development because there's no safe profit in it. We need an agency not concerned with profit to figure out enough stuff so that someone can come along later and then use that stuff to make a profit.

Then the space industry will mirror the computer/smartphone industry and the gains and advancements will be ludicrous.

agree 100%
Old 2013-05-01, 12:44   Link #914
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Untill they get than the country isn't as conservative as the most radical of them are, I think than the answer is yes. Some of them belive than Romney didn't win because he wasn't conservative enough and unless the even of a ultra-conservative losing badly in 2016 there's probably little chance of real change inside the GOP .
Old 2013-05-01, 13:03   Link #915
Bri

Quote:
Untill they get than the country isn't as conservative as the most radical of them are, I think than the answer is yes. Some of them belive than Romney didn't win because he wasn't conservative enough and unless the even of a ultra-conservative losing badly in 2016 there's probably little chance of real change inside the GOP .
Makes me wonder what the balance is these days between moderates and ultra conservatives among GOP voters. If my colleagues are any indication I think a lot must have gone independent.
Old 2013-05-01, 13:35   Link #916
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
How does upgrading a service rifle from a platform that's well over 40 years old constitute an arms race?

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, but in all likelyhood you'll have the same amount of waste and corruption, just with a different name on the receipt. NASA is subject to the same politics and deals with the same companies.

NASA did an internal study on the Falcon 9, and estimated that it would've costed them approx. $4bil to create something similiar - It took SpaceX less than a bil to develop the Falcon 1, the Falcon 9, and the Dragon.

Why, hello there left-wing internet rush limbaugh
There is a difference between corruption and Congressional stupidity. A lot of NSAS's facilities/research are under the control of congress. Like Armies who are stuffed with Tanks they don't want, NASA is stuffed with equipment they don't need.

In contrast, Falcon 9 are not burdened with the U.S Congress's political agenda to support their district, and they also benefit from years of research done by NASA. Of course, don't let the free marketeers know about that.
Old 2013-05-01, 14:32   Link #917
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The most recent take on it is as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural...citizen_clause
So is one parent enough or not? And if so, why did Obama come into question at all? Nobody's denied his mother was American, right?
Old 2013-05-01, 14:54   Link #918
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And if so, why did Obama come into question at all?
Hypocracy at its finest.
Old 2013-05-01, 15:13   Link #919
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that definition was from 2011.
Old 2013-05-01, 16:09   Link #920
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

The basic philosophy of business:

If there's nothing there for me, why bother invest in it?

However, a future space industry? If mankind ever manages to expand in space and reap the resources out there -- today's oil industries would be worth pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin
NASA is stuffed with equipment they don't need.
Unlike the military, NASA has much greater freedom to divert resources away from unneeded things - like... the Space Shuttle. Oh, how sad it was for that program to go away, but it was absolutely not feasible to keep the Space Shuttle running any longer.
Closed Thread