Notices

Old 2009-07-09, 00:56   Link #801
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr3adst0ne View Post
As for giant robots? Well, as long as they don't do choreography like Michael Bay's then I'm all game.
If you remember the initial Knightmare battles throughout season one, up until the point that Lancelot received a float unit... they were fairly interesting and unique. The machines had a good blend of quasi-realistic BattleTech-alike movements, but with a uniquely Japanese mecha flair (especially concerning the slash harkens).

I sometimes wonder if the landskimmer system is a shout out to Heavy Gear. The Heavy Gear PC games were awesome and I saw a lot more Japanese mecha influence in them than I ever did in MechWarrior.

This is getting so off-topic, if you want to reply to me do it in the CG technology thread.
Old 2009-07-09, 01:10   Link #802
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is getting so off-topic, if you want to reply to me do it in the CG technology thread.
Not if we change the subject just a little

So do you think Shirley had the capacity to pilot a KMF unit? I'm not talking about whether she could have become a full-fledged soldier, but do you think she could decently pilot a KMF if she got a few lessons?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 01:11   Link #803
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
So do you think Shirley had the capacity to pilot a KMF unit? I'm not talking about whether she could have become a full-fledged soldier, but do you think she could decently pilot a KMF if she got a few lessons?
If Euphie could...
Old 2009-07-09, 01:16   Link #804
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

There seems to be civilian-use Knightmare Frames in the series, so training her wouldn't be too far-fetched to me...
Old 2009-07-09, 01:16   Link #805
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
If Euphie could...
When did she......oh right, the massacre. Well, if memory serves, I recall that KMFs aren't exactly too difficult to pilot in the CG universe. So yeah, I suppose Shirley could. I guess a better question would be if Shirley was a KMF pilot, what rank would she be?

For example we've got Kallen and Suzaku who are S rank. Gino, Anya, and Jeremiah I guess would be A rank. Lelouch would probably be something like C. And Tamaki...well, if you can't say something nice...
Old 2009-07-09, 01:22   Link #806
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
When did she......oh right, the massacre. Well, if memory serves, I recall that KMFs aren't exactly too difficult to pilot in the CG universe. So yeah, I suppose Shirley could. I guess a better question would be if Shirley was a KMF pilot, what rank would she be?

For example we've got Kallen and Suzaku who are S rank. Gino, Anya, and Jeremiah I guess would be A rank. Lelouch would probably be something like C. And Tamaki...well, if you can't say something nice...
Not just the massacre, but when Suzaku was going to be sacrificed as well.
Old 2009-07-09, 01:29   Link #807
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Even though it's not touched upon often in canon, most Real Robot settings have the mecha used for various mundane tasks outside of combat. Patlabor is based upon this idea, and there are construction wanzers in Front Mission.

We've seen in R2 the folding utility Knightmare, so we know that there are support and noncombat frames in use. It's possible and probably pretty likely that they're in common use and a lot of people know how to operate them.

That is not to say that they'd be skilled enough to fight using one, however. Even if Shirley knew how to pilot a Knightmare, she has no military training and would likely be about as bad at it as Lelouch is!

Yes, I know Lelouch holds his own in quite a few battles, but it's important to remember that he has the use of the Gawain and Shinkirou in most of those fights. If you think back to the beginning, where he was in a Sutherland or a Burai, it didn't take much to kick him to the ground if he got into a scrap with someone.

He's a good example of someone who knows how to pilot a Knightmare but was never trained on how to fight with one.
Old 2009-07-09, 01:33   Link #808
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Not just the massacre, but when Suzaku was going to be sacrificed as well.
Oy, my memory of the first season is so hazy

@synae: Good analysis. And you raise a good point about Shirley having no military training. So yeah, she'd probably be as good as Lelouch at best. Maybe a little better since she's more physically capable.
Old 2009-07-09, 01:58   Link #809
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
We've seen in R2 the folding utility Knightmare, so we know that there are support and noncombat frames in use. It's possible and probably pretty likely that they're in common use and a lot of people know how to operate them.
We see that in R1, too, when Suzaku is saved from execution.

Quote:
That is not to say that they'd be skilled enough to fight using one, however. Even if Shirley knew how to pilot a Knightmare, she has no military training and would likely be about as bad at it as Lelouch is!

Yes, I know Lelouch holds his own in quite a few battles, but it's important to remember that he has the use of the Gawain and Shinkirou in most of those fights. If you think back to the beginning, where he was in a Sutherland or a Burai, it didn't take much to kick him to the ground if he got into a scrap with someone.

He's a good example of someone who knows how to pilot a Knightmare but was never trained on how to fight with one.
Lelouch is not bad at it, he's competent, at least as much as your average military pilot. In comparison to seasoned pilots he sucks, but to say he's bad at it is an overstatement.

Citing his battles in the Sutherland and Burai against the Lancelot and Cornelia's Gloucester is not a fair assessment of his abilities. Kallen got her ass kicked too when she faced the Lancelot in her one-armed Glasgow. Against ordinary pilots, Lelouch is shown to know what he's doing. He fucked Jeremiah up, after all, albeit by surprise, and was holding his own against the Sutherlands at Narita.

To at least be somewhat on topic, Shirley would probably be on par or lower than your average grunt when it comes to skill. She doesn't have the right attitude for it.
Old 2009-07-09, 02:19   Link #810
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Concerning super prototypes, only other super prototypes can fight on equal terms with them. Lelouch's piloting skills are obviously lacking for combat.

Concerning utility frames, who knows? Most Britannians may know how to pilot one, the story never goes into detail about that. The controls probably are simpler than a full blown combat model, so yeah.

I don't see Shirley ever becoming a Knightmare pilot. Siding with Lelouch, yes. Maybe even joining the Black Knights much in the same way C.C. and Rolo did (simply by being close to Zero). But you know, I'm not sure what role she'd really fill other than Lelouch's Morality Pet.

Additionally, according to the story there are no "average grunt" Knightmare pilots. Like the real world, only savvy and ranking officers can pilot fighter planes and command tanks. So even the lowest ranking Sutherland pilot in the Britannian military would be a warrant officer at worst.
Old 2009-07-09, 02:37   Link #811
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Concerning super prototypes, only other super prototypes can fight on equal terms with them. Lelouch's piloting skills are obviously lacking for combat.
Again, no they're not. You're using clearly stacked odds as a point against Lelouch. Lelouch is just as good a pilot as your standard Britannian, and rare though it may be, the few times where he's actually fighting equal frames show it.

Quote:
Concerning utility frames, who knows? Most Britannians may know how to pilot one, the story never goes into detail about that. The controls probably are simpler than a full blown combat model, so yeah.
Knightmare controls are standardized, at least where mass-production is concerned.

Quote:
Additionally, according to the story there are no "average grunt" Knightmare pilots. Like the real world, only savvy and ranking officers can pilot fighter planes and command tanks. So even the lowest ranking Sutherland pilot in the Britannian military would be a warrant officer at worst.
Missing the point. It's not grunt as a rank, it's grunt as a matter of skill. They don't stick top-tier pilots in crap Sutherlands (usually). Better pilots get promotions and better machines.
Old 2009-07-09, 02:45   Link #812
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I never said he was a horrible pilot--obviously he's better than Tamaki... >.>;

He hasn't had any military training in a Knightmare. The fact that he's managed to hold his own so well in many fights is mostly due to the offensive power (Gawain) or defensive power (Shinkirou) of his personal Knightmare Frame. And really, the Gawain was piloted by C.C., not him (he controlled the guns) and C.C. is a fairly competent pilot.

He did well in the Sutherland he stole from Viletta, but then again who did he go against? Suzaku in the Lancelot. So it wasn't an accurate measure of his abilities as a pilot since the difference in machines was so enormous.

The fight against Orange-kun is a better comparison but I'm pretty sure Lelouch getting the jump on him is what really tilted the battle in his favor. When Jeremiah got serious, Kallen took him on while Lelouch got out of the way.

It's established that Lelouch kind of fails at Knightmare combat (if he was good at it he'd be nearing Marty Stu proportions). I don't think Shirley would be any better than him, especially since he had more practice using the Ganymede at Ashford to make giant pizzas.
Old 2009-07-09, 04:19   Link #813
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
not that i mind
but why is this debate going on in the sheirly thread ?
Old 2009-07-09, 04:20   Link #814
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
not that i mind
but why is this debate going on in the sheirly thread ?
Someone saying that Shirley would be at Lelouch's level as a pilot despite her inexperience I guess?
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 04:26   Link #815
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

putting aside her inexperience
she'd get killed her first time out for hesitating to take a life against an opponent who has no such problems (any britannian pilot)
Old 2009-07-09, 04:35   Link #816
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
putting aside her inexperience
she'd get killed her first time out for hesitating to take a life against an opponent who has no such problems (any britannian pilot)
Except that's not how this discussion was originally about, really. Nobodyman9 asked if Shirley would be a decent pilot (not a full-fledged soldier) with a few lessons in KMF training. The idea is plausible, as Knightmare Frames do not seem to be a solely military vehicle.
Old 2009-07-09, 04:55   Link #817
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

if she joins the OOBK and gets something like a vincent or akatsuki that can actually move around WELL
i'd expect her to have the potential to become a great pilot BECAUSE of her in experiance

you'll notice that there is a specific trend with the professional britannian pilots where after getting handed 7th and 8th gen machines, they still act like they are a faster stronger satherlands and glochtters
i think its has to do with fixed mindset that comes from years of using a machine that is very limited in what it can do
the 7th gens are capable of doing much more, but the pilot doenst THINK about using them
and the same goes with toudo and the swords, they got machines that can do much more then just swing swords around, but they never use it for anything but

contrast with suzaku and kallen, and later on in season 2 rolo
none of whom have any "classic" training and therefor isnt limited in their thinking
jumps, flips, punches, kicks, throwing close range weapons to hit long range targets,etc

rolo demonstrates what a vincent is capable of in ep 2, it can match the lancelot for speed and agility, and yet every single pilot who uses one other then him, uses it as if its a mook machine (valkyria squad, im looking at you)

suzaku gets the lancelot in ep 2 and awesomeness results, using harkens as close range weapons, jumping and flipping to avoid gunfire, and of course the spinkicks

kallen takes it even farther
she cant fly and fights an opponent who can while she needs to be at close range ?
"no problem"
jumping off buildings, skating on wires, whatever it takes
and in the final fight between them, both suzaku and kallen run out of weapons.
"so what"
if they dont have weapons, they just keep going WITHOUT them

now notice that all three of them have no formal training and experiance, and you'll notice that this is effected in their piloting skill as an advantage
sheirly has no experiance either, but if she joins the OOBK and gets some training from kallen for example (i'd expect lelouch to want her trained by the best)
she'd have the potential to be a great pilot
Old 2009-07-09, 05:44   Link #818
azul120

Wait, didn't Rolo take advantage of his Geass in Turn 2?
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 05:48   Link #819
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

watch how he pilots it against some of the burai
jumps, flips
he makes it move like suzaku moves the lancelot
Old 2009-07-09, 09:02   Link #820
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Shame on you guys, today is Shirley's b-day {coincidentally today is the b-day of one of my sisters as well, lol}, and no one remembered, then again, not even Sunrise remembered to put her off that chara chart, so, ah. DD8

Anyway, some graphics linked from the Shirlulu comm and haine::

Spoiler for spoiler for graphics:
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote