AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2016-12-02, 19:37   Link #241
testeottilio

In chapter 70, it says "But I have to say, I observed her quite a bit too. During the bird poop incident, she was smiling away."
Who was the person who observes?

– Cersei to Sansa Stark
testeottilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 21:56   Link #242
mors86

Quote:
Originally Posted by testeottilio View Post
In chapter 70, it says "But I have to say, I observed her quite a bit too. During the bird poop incident, she was smiling away."
Who was the person who observes?
I thought it was Enjou, myself.
mors86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 10:52   Link #243
kari-no-sugata II

264 is out in raw.

Imouto is in a pinch! Onii-sama to the rescue!
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 16:31   Link #244
kari-no-sugata II

Some nice fan-art here:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=60415788

I particularly like the 1st one and 4th one (Reika with short hair, using a wig)
Old 2016-12-17, 19:54   Link #245
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

I always do enjoy scenes when Reika is with her beloved oniisama since it usually turns interesting and/or amusing.
Old 2016-12-20, 10:04   Link #246
kari-no-sugata II

265 is out in raw. It's the Tanabata (Star Festival) party hosted by the Kaburagis. I've had the feeling that something major will happen. Reading now

edit Okay, nothing too substantial has happened yet. Looks like this party could take up several chapters. Highlight was some verbal sparring with another ojou-sama (the one from Sakura's school, Maihama Ema)

Last edited by kari-no-sugata II; 2016-12-20 at 10:58.
Old 2016-12-21, 15:29   Link #247
kari-no-sugata II

A thought about the latest raw...

At the end, Kaburagi went over to greet Reika, but he was tired and wanted a break at the time (and Enjou was with another group). Yet in such a state he went over to Reika. Is Reika an "oasis" for you now, Kaburagi Masaya-kun!? I think we might need to send in onii-sama's Dark Ops unit to investigate this one...
Old 2016-12-21, 16:22   Link #248
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

I guess in a way that's true.

He already knows that she isn't one of those love struck bimbo's who usually swarm around him (as dense as a manga main guy that he is), he can be pretty much just be himself around her. I guess he finds Reika as a "real" female friend who levels with him (in his own tsundere way).
Old 2016-12-21, 18:01   Link #249
kari-no-sugata II

Reika, Enjou and Kaburagi are close to being "friends" now. Obviously Enjou and Kaburagi are by themselves, but they're doing more and more things together as a trio. I've been a bit surprised recently how Reika has been more relaxed around Enjou - even sharing a smirk with him in the previous chapter. Reika isn't quite the same with Kaburagi, but the gap seems to be shrinking. She's certainly relaxed enough to argue with him over trivial stuff and is only mildly put out by having to deal with him.

I think you're right about him being able to "just be himself around her", though I don't know if he's realised that.
Old 2016-12-22, 04:53   Link #250
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

I think both of them are still not at a stage where they can fully admit that they're "technically, kinda' sorta' friends(?)".
Old 2016-12-22, 04:55   Link #251
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rue View Post
I think both of them are still not at a stage where they can fully admit that they're "technically, kinda' sorta' friends(?)".
Yeah.

266 is out in raw.

Heh, Reika's suggestion to Kaburagi (in 265) to learn from Imari wasn't a good idea
Old 2016-12-23, 10:48   Link #252
kari-no-sugata II

To give a longer answer on how I see Reika and Kaburagi's relationship right now in the raws after thinking about it for a bit...

It's a bit hard since we have no idea how Kaburagi really sees her but I think they both have a somewhat similar view of each other - ie the "zannen" (disappointing/regrettable) type, whose insides don't match their outward appearance. I suspect they both consider themselves to be the more mature one and the other to be a bit childish.

Certainly Reika thinks of Kaburagi this way, and generally considers him to be too aggressive and immature but she's also able to acknowledge his good aspects and will listen to his advice. Reika used to be quite afraid of him but this has mostly gone now. Reika considers herself to be a "faker" and Kaburagi to be the "real thing". Reika likes "soothing" types but for her Kaburagi is pretty much the opposite. If we consider Reika's female friends she has soothing types but there's also Sakurako who definitely isn't, so it's not like she can't be friends with Kaburagi - it's just harder. While she does tease him from time to time she also looks out for him and bit and can sympathise with his problems.

Since us readers have never been inside Kaburagi's head it's hard to say how he really sees things but reading between the lines and so on we can make some educated guesses. I think that, willingly or not, he has noticed her for a long time - remember how he spotted her dancing with onii-sama all those years ago and wanted to do the same with Yurie. It seems that he's also noticed that she has a thing for food (c266). Based on that pattern, maybe it's Kaburagi who's the guy that's been observing her rather than Enjou (c70). I don't think he sees Reika as "too passive" but probably more something like "too lax" (not disciplined enough) - he is quite strict with her after all. He seems to be able to be relaxed around her and though he does "tease" her from time to time (maybe he just views it as speaking his mind?), he is quite willing to listen to her advice. I can't imagine that there's too many people who he would be willing to go ask for advice from, particularly for something private like his relationship with Wakaba-chan. It would be interesting to know what he thinks of her looks - is he immune to them or like others is slightly intimidated?

Overall, he seems closer to being friends with Reika than the other way around. I suspect that Reika would be able to be a bit closer to Kaburagi if she could get over her historical fear of him - after all, in her mind he is someone who could possibly destroy her family. I don't mean that's the only thing preventing from them being real friends or that it's a necessary condition to be cleared though.
Old 2016-12-23, 14:17   Link #253
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

Don't forget that Kaburagi learned from how Reika handled letting go of her first love for the student counsel president to let go of his unrequited love for Yurie. He even called Reika his partner in unrequited love. Its pretty obvious that Kaburagi has a lot of respect in for Reika.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 10:32   Link #254
kari-no-sugata II

Heh, that scene. How Kaburagi-like. One-sidedly interpreting things a particular way and ignoring any reaction to what he's saying...

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the first time he ever says anything clearly positive about Reika. Though if what Aira said a few chapters before that scene is true then even before then Reika is one of the very few girls that Kaburagi has ever paid any attention to, outside of Yurie.

PS Lots of new translated chapters today. Yum yum...
Old 2016-12-24, 10:38   Link #255
Namorax

This kinda feels like a setup where the story progresses, both realise that they don't actually "hate" each other... and suddenly they are getting married/betrothed by their families without really realising what is going on.

Right now the three look like confidants for each other: they know the other two can more or less relate to their specific problems, they worked together to solve some of their past issues and are close enough to each other to drop the masks they carry in front of everyone else.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 11:15   Link #256
Breimn

A bunch of translated chs? Hurray! Hurray!
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 11:53   Link #257
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Heh, that scene. How Kaburagi-like. One-sidedly interpreting things a particular way and ignoring any reaction to what he's saying...

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the first time he ever says anything clearly positive about Reika. Though if what Aira said a few chapters before that scene is true then even before then Reika is one of the very few girls that Kaburagi has ever paid any attention to, outside of Yurie.

PS Lots of new translated chapters today. Yum yum...
Dont forget about Kaburagi and Enjou's reaction to Reika trying to join a sports club in chapter 77.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-27, 18:28   Link #258
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
This kinda feels like a setup where the story progresses, both realise that they don't actually "hate" each other... and suddenly they are getting married/betrothed by their families without really realising what is going on.

Right now the three look like confidants for each other: they know the other two can more or less relate to their specific problems, they worked together to solve some of their past issues and are close enough to each other to drop the masks they carry in front of everyone else.
I sort of agree and sort of disagree with this.

It's a curious series in some ways since you could say that Reika wins if she gets to the end of high school without falling into ruin. Achieving that is secondary to romance at least. It's not like there's a clearly defined male lead either.

The way you describe Reika, Kaburagi and Enjou feels somewhat off to me: it's not like they have some trauma or something in their past that they need to overcome. Their "problems" are much more current than that.

I don't know what kind of ending we'll get but Reika x Kaburagi in a real romance would probably be the most interesting, on multiple levels. I have thought of the following scenario:
  1. Nothing significant has changed compared to how things are now in the latest raws when Reika's parents tell her that they've reached an informal agreement to engage her and Kaburagi
  2. To Reika, this would be a total destruction flag, since Kaburagi would still be in love with Wakaba in this scenario, so she would massively oppose it. Even if she can't get it cancelled, Reika should at least be able to delay it being made formal / public.
  3. Reika would probably tell Kaburagi about this (if he wasn't aware of it already) and tells him to confess to Wakaba already.
  4. Kaburagi finally confesses to Wakaba but she rejects him.
  5. Kaburagi is very depressed again (though not to the extent of when Yurie rejected him). Reika feels somewhat responsible and much more sympathetic than last time and also wants to avoid angering him, so she genuinely tries to cheer him up. This somewhat works and Kaburagi starts falling in love with her as a side effect.
  6. Kaburagi uses various excuses to continue meeting Reika regularly and before long realises his feelings. He then tries to seriously woo Reika.
  7. This is where things get interesting - how would Reika respond? I think she would be very shocked at first - it's not the sort of thing she would have ever expected. I think she would also quickly come to realise that he is serious/genuine about it. Reika has generally been shown as rather weak to romance - her brain seems to turn to mush quite quickly when Imari makes a play at her, for example. So long as Kaburagi doesn't do anything too stupid I could see Reika falling for him in return relatively easily, though it's hard to be sure in advance.
  8. Under this scenario there wouldn't likely be any real opposition. Enjou seems somewhat supportive of Reika x Kaburagi, reading between the lines. I think the only possible significant obstacle would be onii-sama - I'm not saying he would definitely oppose it, more like it's not impossible and if he did then it would be a real obstacle.
  9. And they all lived happily ever after!?
Old 2017-01-03, 15:22   Link #259
kari-no-sugata II

I found these nice 70s manga style fan-art drawings:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=60733934

Hahnnn... if only there was a manga or anime version of this series...

For those two don't read Japanese, the 1st one is Reika saying (in a posh way) "Very well. If you want to fight, perhaps I shall accept?". This is from chapter 190.

2nd one is from the already translated chapter 68 with Reika saying "Well then, I suppose we truly are even now. Right, Enjou-sama?" (and Enjou nodding desperately)

3rd one is from chapter 244, Reika blowing up at Kaburagi's lack of tact etc, saying "These three things that you are missing, you must deeply engrave them into your thick-skinned head! Repeat after me! Attentiveness, common sense, delicacy!"

(side note: Reika does these things but still considers herself to be a coward, paper tiger / faker etc... Haha, if Kaburagi's mother had witnessed that scene, she'd probably want Reika to marry her stupid son no matter what!)

4th one is Reika explaining the finer details of cooking okonomiyaki
Old 2017-01-05, 06:31   Link #260
kari-no-sugata II

267 is out in raw. Surprisingly, it skips to the end of the tests. I thought it'd continue with the party...

Spoiler: