AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-05-15, 15:59   Link #24901
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Fear can make people do stupid things; but it's an individual choice on whether we want to live in fear of what could be. It takes a unique strength to counter.

Anyway, on to the reason for my posting:

Unexpected Expectations

Chapter 13: Two Roads Diverged

Previous parts can be found here.

Spoiler for Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 13: Two Roads Diverged:
Awesome, I'll have to read the rest of that when I wake up tommorrow.

And here's the revised edition of my earlier post, incorperating. the edits made by Jokulhaup, and an ending that seemed more satisfying to me. (Still haven't come up with a name for it though.)

Spoiler for space once again:
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 20:54   Link #24902
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokulhaup View Post
There are parts of that fic that are superfluous to its meaning.

Spoiler for ASDF Mk. II:
But what did you interpret it as? I'm interested in knowing whether I communicated my intent right.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 21:08   Link #24903
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post

These two statements broke my heart, as they really show how Megane doesn't actually know her own daughter well after all, both from her coma and also from Lutecia's Shadow life. Great job there!

And small tidbits like that really show how much Lutecia's grown . And like the two quotes above, it also shows how little Lutecia communicates about her feelings in general, and with her own mother .

Nice little short, it tells of tragedy in a comedic way. That's great writing there, RB .
It irks me that I missed these things the first time through! You're right--it really does tell the story, in between the smiles, of the ongoing separation between Megane and Lutecia. I feel really silly for missing it, too, because, RadiantBeam's worked with those concepts before, in the way that Megane and Lutecia don't really interact as "mother and daughter" but more as close adult friends (with Lutecia's experiences with Jail and later the Shadows, plus the Nanohaverse's hyper-acceleration of what "adult" means, plus their complete separation since Lutecia was two pretty much meaning that Lutecia's idea of "Megane-as-mother" was an intellectual construct based on her, Lutecia's emotional needs than anything actually resembling a relationship) and the vague mist of tragedy that underlies that.

Quote:
My sympathies . Although I wonder, depending on how internet-safe you are, would hate crime even be a problem in your Real Life? Feeling confident and proud enough of yourself to openly express your sexuality is a great and rare thing, and I hope you can get the freedom to do that on your own terms someday.
Complete agreement here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's almost done; I should have it ready and posted within the next 24 hours.
I, quite clearly, live right.

Quote:
I have been somewhat distracted, though, as I have fairly recently gone from a netbook with GMA915 graphics to a Mobility Radeon 5650... so I have been basking in the joy of a real GPU... My new Gateway NV5925u has arrived and I'm loving the ability to game again.

Currently plowing my way through Half-Life 2 again. Great game.
As do you! Glad you're having fun!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 21:41   Link #24904
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
It irks me that I missed these things the first time through! You're right--it really does tell the story, in between the smiles, of the ongoing separation between Megane and Lutecia. I feel really silly for missing it, too, because, RadiantBeam's worked with those concepts before, in the way that Megane and Lutecia don't really interact as "mother and daughter" but more as close adult friends (with Lutecia's experiences with Jail and later the Shadows, plus the Nanohaverse's hyper-acceleration of what "adult" means, plus their complete separation since Lutecia was two pretty much meaning that Lutecia's idea of "Megane-as-mother" was an intellectual construct based on her, Lutecia's emotional needs than anything actually resembling a relationship) and the vague mist of tragedy that underlies that.
It's always fun to play around with the concept, even when I do it without realizing! But it's a constant struggle of balance, with how I've developed Lutecia's character in my universe. On one hand, she genuinely loves Megane, and when she calls her "Mom" she means it as much as she can; but on the other hand, she was way past the point of ever actually considering Megane a mother figure, and even now she keeps a certain amount of distance between them. On the good side of the coin, it's because she doesn't want to hurt Megane or cause her to feel guilty, but on the bad side of the coin, Lutecia just can't bring herself to completely view Megane as "mother" and not "older sister" or "close confidente".
Old 2010-05-15, 22:46   Link #24905
Jokulhaup
Like a flood, but worse.

Send a message via AIM to Jokulhaup Send a message via MSN to Jokulhaup
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
But what did you interpret it as? I'm interested in knowing whether I communicated my intent right.
orz
I realized my version could be interpreted as Yuuno or Vita being without regret.

As it is, I interpreted it as a Yuuno/Vita, which made me lol.

MSLN StrikerS: More than you expected.

My writing can be found here.
Jokulhaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 23:25   Link #24906
Nijiru

@Kaijo: Nice ending to a very good work.
Old 2010-05-16, 00:27   Link #24907
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Spoiler for Innocent Question:
I do love the details you add to the story, it makes the characters and the setting come alive. Also, I'm a sucker for stories where the parent or sibling teases one of the characters, it helps keep 'em grounded and human.

Quote:
Fear can make people do stupid things; but it's an individual choice on whether we want to live in fear of what could be. It takes a unique strength to counter.

Anyway, on to the reason for my posting:

Unexpected Expectations

Chapter 13: Two Roads Diverged

Previous parts can be found here.

Spoiler for Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 13: Two Roads Diverged:

This is an interesting divergence, for one thing, Yuuno here seemed to finally get some sense [metaphorically] knocked into him and by a more tough love version of himself. Good work!

-----

So… I promised a few people I would be posting something but… uh, I felt like the other stories felt somewhat lacking. I chose to post this story instead. It's also a work-in-progress and something I've been working on for a long time now…

The Arrows Fall Backwards

Part 1: Brave New World

Spoiler for The Arrows Fall Backwards -- Part I: Brave New World:

Spoiler for Author's Note:

Last edited by isagrimorie; 2010-05-16 at 01:39. Reason: format reasons
isagrimorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 00:57   Link #24908
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
So… I promised a few people I would be posting something but… uh, I felt like the other stories felt somewhat lacking. I chose to post this story instead. It's also a work-in-progress and something I've been working on for a long time now…

Hm, an interesting premise. I wonder if you're going to explore how things before the disaster played out in the changed set up. I'm also curious as to who that boy was supposed to be.

In other news, posted my Signum short to FF.net.
Old 2010-05-16, 05:07   Link #24909
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokulhaup View Post
orz
I realized my version could be interpreted as Yuuno or Vita being without regret.

As it is, I interpreted it as a Yuuno/Vita, which made me lol.
Yeah, you got it right. That was indeed more-or-less the intent.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 12:17   Link #24910
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
I do love the details you add to the story, it makes the characters and the setting come alive. Also, I'm a sucker for stories where the parent or sibling teases one of the characters, it helps keep 'em grounded and human.

This is an interesting divergence, for one thing, Yuuno here seemed to finally get some sense [metaphorically] knocked into him and by a more tough love version of himself. Good work!

-----

Considering all of this, we're going to be getting the explaination of how this happened, right? Please? Pretty please?

On that hand, very nice! Just the right amount of angst (), and it's interesting to see a darker, nastier take on what could have happened if Nanoha had never met Yuuno and thus, had never gotten through to Fate and saved her. I'm personally still optimistic enough to think this can end at least semi-happily, but I'll have to wait and see what you do.

Update soon!
Old 2010-05-16, 13:36   Link #24911
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Because I was bored...probably been done before, but I've never seen it. More for RB though since she likes this sort of thing...I think

Spoiler for Well done...my daughter...:

*runs before she gets skewered by bullets*

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 13:53   Link #24912
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well I should have expected that after "*runs before she gets skewered by bullets*" but no, I had to keep reading and see it for myself.

Fate was a bit too snarky there, since I can't really envision her acting so cocky, but hey, I guess that's what fanfics are for. Also, what was the jewel shard for? I guess it was to make her stronger, but it's never really explained...Since the reason Fate won so easily just seemed like it was because Fate was holding back during their first final battle.
Old 2010-05-16, 14:26   Link #24913
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

It was a little thingy done at 322am, I wasn't really thinking...just staring blankly at the screen while words just miraculously formed because of my fingers typing...boy do I need some sleep XD

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 16:51   Link #24914
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It was still a pretty good read for people into that depressing kind of stuff.
Old 2010-05-16, 17:29   Link #24915
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Last chapter of Unexpected Expectations is up on ff.net here.

With that out of the way, I should have Dragon Quest done in less than a week, then there is only a single chapter remaining. I may or may not be able to finish "Perils of Lost Logia II" as I need to be in a certain mood to write that kind of fic, so it may take longer (although I only envision it being about another 4 chapters or so).
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 22:10   Link #24916
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Hm, an interesting premise. I wonder if you're going to explore how things before the disaster played out in the changed set up. I'm also curious as to who that boy was supposed to be.

In other news, posted my Signum short to FF.net.
Thanks! I will touch on a few things about the disaster but not really play out in detail what happenedand leave some for the imagination. Sometimes the imagination does a better job than the writers

Quote:

Considering all of this, we're going to be getting the explaination of how this happened, right? Please? Pretty please?
Yep Like, I've said above, there will be some explanation but not in detail

Quote:
On that hand, very nice! Just the right amount of angst (), and it's interesting to see a darker, nastier take on what could have happened if Nanoha had never met Yuuno and thus, had never gotten through to Fate and saved her. I'm personally still optimistic enough to think this can end at least semi-happily, but I'll have to wait and see what you do.

Update soon!

Thanks! I'm glad the chapter just had the right amount of angst, since I don't want this to be about the angst. I've always been fascinated with the fork in the road sort of AUs and wanted to try my hand at it.

And, if you're familiar with the type of stories I like (and I think you are) you'll get the hint how this might end Other than that I'm keeping mum!

There's going to be an update coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Because I was bored...probably been done before, but I've never seen it. More for RB though since she likes this sort of thing...I think

Spoiler for Well done...my daughter...:

*runs before she gets skewered by bullets*
Heh. That'll learn me to be worried about Darker and Edgier, this was certainly a lot darker and edgier! And, boy did Fate commit to the role... although, I'm not too sure about Fate snarking and smirking like that. That felt too... mustache twirling villain than Fate at her worst.

Quote:
Last chapter of Unexpected Expectations is up on ff.net here.

With that out of the way, I should have Dragon Quest done in less than a week, then there is only a single chapter remaining. I may or may not be able to finish "Perils of Lost Logia II" as I need to be in a certain mood to write that kind of fic, so it may take longer (although I only envision it being about another 4 chapters or so).
Okay, this might bein the backlog... but I don't think I've read Dragon Quest? Is that a Nanoha story?
Old 2010-05-16, 23:43   Link #24917
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Kaijo is refering to a fic he's writing that shares the title.
Old 2010-05-17, 00:37   Link #24918
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:

Update soon!
This AU reminds me of my back-burnered AU where Alicia never died and ended up becoming a rather implacable villain, and Yuuno never turned into a ferret, and Miyuki found a magical sword and... yeah I think I should probably try to work on that one again at some point.
Old 2010-05-17, 06:58   Link #24919
Arkeus

MMh, new fall of Belka time fic on ffnet .

So far, not looking too bad.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 07:07   Link #24920
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This AU reminds me of my back-burnered AU where Alicia never died and ended up becoming a rather implacable villain, and Yuuno never turned into a ferret, and Miyuki found a magical sword and... yeah I think I should probably try to work on that one again at some point.
Yes, you should! I've been waiting for more of that one!

Page claim for waiting!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha