AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-19, 11:13   Link #21
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

I can't remember ever saying it, mostly because ever since the age of four I know I would have felt like an idiot.

I really can't think of an appropriate time to say it now, and it seems weird that people say it all the time. As far as my understanding goes, love isn't really anything to crow about, as people don't really have much conscious control over it and you don't even have to like someone to love them. In that regard, it strikes me as much more meaningful to say that you enjoy talking to someone than just saying you love them.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 12:37   Link #22
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Its three words, not really hard to say, I can say it in the most serious tone with the most serious/sincere face and say "I love you" then stand up laugh and say "Just kidding"

People put too much meaning in words.
There's no big deal when you jokingly or sarcastically say it AND the other person knows that. I do that sometimes to close friends, too, and I make it perfectly clear that I'm joking. Then both of us laugh )

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2011-02-19 at 21:50.
Tenken's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 14:27   Link #23
Irkalla
I asked for this

I tend to toss it around a tad too much, my bad. But anyway, it's not like I feel a different kind of affection towards a romantic interest than to a friend, the difference is just that we are having sex.
Irkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 18:47   Link #24
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I could care less how people use the word. I usually only say it to small children I'm related to like my baby brother but to each his own. It's a really insignificant thing and not something worth investing your emotion in, especially since you can't control how others want to use it, nor should you try.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 18:53   Link #25
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Guy: Bitch, you know I hate broccoli! How can you sneak it in my food!? Gonna get you back for this!
Girl: Love you too, babe. <3

That's the only time I'd use the '(I) love you' sentence, of course used in brilliant sarcasm.

This expression carries deep weight with me, it's not something so freely used in the UK/London (reserved, I guess) either, so it's not something I can easily say even if I hear it from close family members or my best friends on occasion.
(Actions speak louder than words anyways)

It's a feeling like the Japanese 'aishiteiru', again not used lightly as it tends to carry a deeper, heavier meaning than 'suki desu'.
Takes a person who I've literally given my heart and soul to to get this phrase outta me.

Personally, I've found the 'love you' phrase overused more by Americans as a kid and in my teens, but that'd be coming from the cheesy family old sitcoms of the late 80's, 90's and so on I used to watch on TV, where I'd notice the kids and parents say this usually after some kinda conflict has been resolved or something in a show.
(As well as the hugs and kisses accompanied with it).

Perhaps a reflection of the society that the programs were created in?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 00:24   Link #26
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Being in a long-distance relationship, I find this sentence (I love you) very dear. Especially when I get a rare phone call from another country and when he says it, it always manages to feel like it's the first time around. Especially when it's in English, as we both have different native tongues. While hearing the native-equivalent of the sentence is wonderful, it tends to be more reserved as our first languages are our comfort zones or what you call it. There's something about the English-version that strikes a chord.
Old 2011-02-20, 00:54   Link #27
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I never throw around I love you. Only if I really mean it. ^^
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 00:55   Link #28
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
There's something about the English-version that strikes a chord.
because the english language is universal

but words is like most things in this world can be considered a double edged sword, so beware, do not be swayed too much by words
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 03:55   Link #29
solomon

It could very well be used too much.

I've never been with a woman before so I never used it outside of a family context. Still it seems like a word you use only after you've been with someone for a certain amount of time and are serious about. Otherwise "like" or something should work.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 07:26   Link #30
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
because the english language is universal
Yeah, but most people think the English term is overrated. XD
My guy is French and I love how he speaks it...but I still prefer when he does it in English.

Also, I have to agree with others that it's tossed around quite easily these days.
Especially by most youngsters.

You kids and your fads! *waves imaginary cane*
Old 2011-02-21, 00:39   Link #31
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
Everything said too much people stop listening to
So very true, and yet so depressing at the same time.
Old 2011-02-21, 00:46   Link #32
Asuras
Dictadere~!

It's the rule of continual conformity (pulling terms out of my ass here); as soon as someone realizes somethings been used a lot, they decide it's high time to be "individual" and reject it or say/do something else. Trends fade, and are looked back upon as dumb or whatever the kids say these days. Hip? No... Never mind. Anyways.
Old 2011-02-21, 01:30   Link #33
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i agree that this phrase is thrown around too much. it is one of two phrases i reserve for special people or things, the other being "beautiful". the only people i actively say, "i love you" to are my parents. even my other relatives are excluded from that group. it has special meaning to me and only those who deserve to hear it from me will. the other phrase is "it's/you're beautiful." hot, cute, and sexy are a dime a dozen, but for something/someone to be truly beautiful is a rarity. granted, "beautiful" is more subjective, but it carries nearly the same weight.

my friends know that i don't throw out these terms out lightly, so when they do come out, its a surprise for them.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 10:16   Link #34
chachaboru
Banned

people around me doesn't say "i love you" that much...
but that's okay because IMO these 3 words should be taken seriously.
chachaboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 10:21   Link #35
Rag

^Agreed.

That being said, I haven't said those words to anyone outside my family either.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 14:44   Link #36
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Well, it's true that people use that word too much, but there are people who really get to easly hold a great affection for other people.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 15:22   Link #37
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

I don't know, I don't really have a "ranking system" when it comes to my loved ones, so I express affection without thinking about it. (And honestly, when I notice that people I like have such a "ranking system" and I'm not very high up on that list, it makes me feel... well, it feels a lot like a stab in the gut, to be honest, even though I know people can't help the way they feel.) Saying "I love you" seriously to anyone other than my dog and maybe one or two people feels awkward to me, but that's what glomping is for.

Of course, when I'm just getting to know someone, I don't glomp them as much as I'd glomp, say, a friend I've had for five years, but that's pretty much it. I also don't like the thought of telling people how they should or shouldn't use an intimate expression, as I believe "love" is different for everyone.
Old 2011-02-21, 18:39   Link #38
Gin
*Artist

I love people like that.
Old 2011-02-22, 09:09   Link #39
Olivia_688

I am actually one of the people who dont say it unless I mean it. and i hate it when others say it to me as if it was a joke or that they really meant it when we just met 3 days ago and barely spent 1 hour of time together?
Old 2011-02-22, 09:20   Link #40
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia_688 View Post
or that they really meant it when we just met 3 days ago and barely spent 1 hour of time together?
Love at first sight? ;P