AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 69 24.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 93 32.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 19.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 13.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.35%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 2.83%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-06, 00:17   Link #181
crow-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
also is it me or was the ED just awesome?
It was great. The 4-koma was nice. I wonder if there is going to be one every ending.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:21   Link #182
Nosauz

i wouldn't mind but as the show gets progressively darker I would prefer OP/ED that match the shows over arching themes and mood.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:36   Link #183
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a total remake, and they made up the Ice Alchemist episode as a vehicle to get the first ~9 episodes of the first season (first volume of the manga) done with in two, so they can get on with the rest of the manga. If they're going to take the time to tear through most of the 23+ volumes they'll have to hurry.
Ah, beat me to it.

Let me explain what Claies is getting at.

If they were making a fully manga-faithful adaptation, they'd need to rehash about 20 episodes worth of information we'd already seen (with a few changes between the way the first anime did it and the the way the manga did) and give us a handful of episodes' worth of new, manga-faithful adaptation more, until they got to the point of where the first anime and the manga broke off. Obviously they are not, to a point.

With the current manga storyline apparently approaching its end, I'm sure Arakawa-sensei is involved enough with this new anime project to have the anime ending mapped out in a compatible way with the manga (she wrote this episode, after all), but they're going to be hard pressed to fit the 93 chapters already released into the anime, much less whatever remains of the manga storyline. The best way to cut corners is to gloss over what has already been animated, and so that's what they're doing.

This first episode is filler so that they can fit several episodes worth of plot points
Spoiler for manga plot points in Episode 1:
into a much shorter period so they can be as faithful as possible with the manga storyline over the rest of their limited run (51 episodes total, if I have heard correctly).

Don't worry. This is going to be a manga-faithful adaptation. But not until after the point where the manga and first anime diverged.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:41   Link #184
crow-kun

Quote:
i wouldn't mind but as the show gets progressively darker I would prefer OP/ED that match the shows over arching themes and mood.
Sort of like Winry parading around in hot pants?
Old 2009-04-06, 00:43   Link #185
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
The best way to cut corners is to gloss over what has already been animated, and so that's what they're doing.
Really? It seems like its just a teaser ep to get the audience excited. If they do gloss over a lot of the old stuff, it'd be nice.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:48   Link #186
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
(she wrote this episode, after all)
Bones wrote the episode. She only designed the character for the episode and he's a straight knock off of the guy from the train.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:52   Link #187
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Ah, beat me to it.

Let me explain what Claies is getting at.

If they were making a fully manga-faithful adaptation, they'd need to rehash about 20 episodes worth of information we'd already seen (with a few changes between the way the first anime did it and the the way the manga did) and give us a handful of episodes' worth of new, manga-faithful adaptation more, until they got to the point of where the first anime and the manga broke off. Obviously they are not, to a point.

With the current manga storyline apparently approaching its end, I'm sure Arakawa-sensei is involved enough with this new anime project to have the anime ending mapped out in a compatible way with the manga (she wrote this episode, after all), but they're going to be hard pressed to fit the 93 chapters already released into the anime, much less whatever remains of the manga storyline. The best way to cut corners is to gloss over what has already been animated, and so that's what they're doing.

This first episode is filler so that they can fit several episodes worth of plot points
Spoiler for manga plot points in Episode 1:
into a much shorter period so they can be as faithful as possible with the manga storyline over the rest of their limited run (51 episodes total, if I have heard correctly).

Don't worry. This is going to be a manga-faithful adaptation. But not until after the point where the manga and first anime diverged.
Do you think 51 episodes will be enough to do the manga justice?
Old 2009-04-06, 00:53   Link #188
NakedAngelX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazex View Post
yess was looking forward to this. only disappointing part for me was the halfway point when they said "fullmetal alchemist" in english...twice.
Lol at that cut scene part! Felt like some sort of Horrible English Dub.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:10   Link #189
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

lol same here. when I heard that, I was like.... huh? wtf? It was pretty bad too, the way they said it. Anyhow, this wasn't a bad episode. I wonder how fast they are going to get to the part where anime diverged from manga..
Old 2009-04-06, 01:21   Link #190
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Spoiler for Isaac's rank:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-04-06, 01:37   Link #191
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Avatar View Post
Do you think 51 episodes will be enough to do the manga justice?
They'll probably have to disregard a lot of things to make enough time, such as:
Spoiler for Plot:

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with how much introduction they took care of in one episode with filler that's easily stuck into the timeline. It looks like they'll also finish off Lior and the Human Transmutation in the second, so the pacing looks great so far.

Of course, I can't speak for people who haven't seen FMA before. I feel like what's seen so far requires knowledge of at least the first 4 episodes.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:38   Link #192
crow-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Spoiler for Isaac's rank:
Being a state alchemist automatically makes you a major. So it's not really a spoiler.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:57   Link #193
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Wow FMA is back with a bang!
A great episode if you've seen the series before, highly entertaining.
People seeing this series for the first time though would have been really confused though as they don't explain anything at all.
Looks like next episode should be flashback though and maybe the one after that is Lior?

Spoiler for Minor character:

Quote:
also is it me or was the ED just awesome?
Yeah that ED was really awesome. Looked pretty high production values actually XD
Old 2009-04-06, 02:01   Link #194
Jays

Even if it's a new series I can't help but be overwhelmed with nostalgia and what not, feels like 2004 all over for me again... wish I was as young back as I was back then.

What can I say? I mean this episode clearly looks like it was made to be some sort of intro for those who don't know about the basic characters from the get go, seeing as the pace was so sporadic, even so it was entertaining, and as always incredably humerous. The OP and ED were awesome, though I find it interesting how Edward's dad makes a full faced appearance this early compared to the last one - I've only seen the previous anime.

I felt right at home with Hughes, Armstrong, and even King Bradley; I definaly think that Miki as Mustang is something that has to grow on me, as I assume according to many manga readers it fits him more than Okawa, but even still I wasn't able to get a good gist of his character. It some what struck me odd as to how Mustang had lost that intimidating and imposing character that just breathed hell down your kneck, but then again I'm open to anything.

Finally, I am so, so glad that Hiroyuki Yoshino is Kimblee. Anyone who's watched Gundam 00 has to be extatic, I mean what a match made in heaven, just hearing him get me all excited.

Now you know what would be a match made in heaven? Something that has happened, was awesome, and should happen? Junichi Suwabe as Greed 'nuff said.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:10   Link #195
crow-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Finally, I am so, so glad that Hiroyuki Yoshino is Kimblee. Anyone who's watched Gundam 00 has to be extatic, I mean what a match made in heaven, just hearing him get me all excited.
This is the only thing I disagree with. He sucks as Kimbley.

Last edited by crow-kun; 2009-04-06 at 02:32.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:15   Link #196
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow-kun View Post
This is the only thing I disagree with. He sucks a Kimbley.
Really? I feel confident he can pull off insane evil guy after his portrayal of Hallelujah in 00
Old 2009-04-06, 02:19   Link #197
crow-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamchan View Post
Really? I feel confident he can pull off insane evil guy after his portrayal of Hallelujah in 00
It's his voice. It's too high pitched and annoying. It may work for some lanky pretty boy nut job. But not a smooth criminal psycho.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:23   Link #198
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow-kun View Post
It's his voice. It's too high pitched and annoying. It may work for some lanky pretty boy nut job. But not a smooth criminal psycho.
Maybe I'm just right at home with it? I don't want to say "just wait!" because that would be unfair to you, but at the same time, I loved his portrayal of Allelujah/Hallelujah, specially when he went completely blood thirsty and insane.

The way I look at it, if they casted this guy, then perhaps this Kimblee is one fucked up guy.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:31   Link #199
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamchan View Post
Spoiler for Minor character:
That should be happening even if they adapted the manga panel by panel. It really isn't that long until those events. There was a ton of filler added to the first series which basically doubled how long it took to get there. There are a couple other oddities in the OP however which are "Aren't you jumping the gun a little on those?"
Old 2009-04-06, 02:32   Link #200
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Maybe I'm just right at home with it? I don't want to say "just wait!" because that would be unfair to you, but at the same time, I loved his portrayal of Allelujah/Hallelujah, specially when he went completely blood thirsty and insane.

The way I look at it, if they casted this guy, then perhaps this Kimblee is one fucked up guy.
His saying that Kimblee should have a deeper voice.

I wouldn't know since I haven't watched it yet since I am waiting for Funi to stream it.
Closed Thread