Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 11:14   Link #3081
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkette View Post
Has Sousuke Smiled And Laughed In The Novels??,.. When Will It Happen???.. Heeheehee..

When Will Chidori And Sousuke's First Kiss Happen???... Cant Wait!!!...

Xd
Most likely right before one of them dies, which sucks.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 15:17   Link #3082
AndreiBurnside
Underachieving Gator

Gatoh went way to heavy on the sexual tension between Kurz and Melissa for them
Spoiler:
. End of Day by Day strongly suggested the possibility, what with that part in Sicily.

Huzzah to that I say, huzzah.

Don't mean to be contrary or anything, but while dave-d has the slickest stories, and some pretty decent plots, his characterization has major issues. Sousuke hates history, they've mentioned that in the novels, but Dave-d makes him a history freak. His Sousuke is too rigid. And he really sucks at characterizing Kurz and Melissa (that's my biggest issue with him).
AndreiBurnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 18:27   Link #3083
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiBurnside View Post
Don't mean to be contrary or anything, but while dave-d has the slickest stories, and some pretty decent plots, his characterization has major issues. Sousuke hates history, they've mentioned that in the novels, but Dave-d makes him a history freak. His Sousuke is too rigid. And he really sucks at characterizing Kurz and Melissa (that's my biggest issue with him).
That was kind of a random interjection no? I think Dave-d writes pretty well for a fanfic writer. They remind me a lot of episodes from Fumoffu. I don't think my FMP fics can even shake a stick at his - different styles though I guess so I dunno.

But isn't Sousuke kind of a know it all when it comes to military history? I was always under that impression. Maybe it's wrong though.
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 11:44   Link #3084
AndreiBurnside
Underachieving Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
That was kind of a random interjection no? I think Dave-d writes pretty well for a fanfic writer. They remind me a lot of episodes from Fumoffu. I don't think my FMP fics can even shake a stick at his - different styles though I guess so I dunno.

But isn't Sousuke kind of a know it all when it comes to military history? I was always under that impression. Maybe it's wrong though.
Somebody recommended him to somebody else who asked about fanfics, and I was too lazy to quote either of them.

Military History is still history. Interesting sub-genre, but in the novels Sousuke flat out says/thinks/implies that he doesn't enjoy studying history. I'm pretty sure of that. I think it may have been in Continuing on my Own. Weapons specs, on the other hand, are an entirely different animal.

He writes pretty well, I suppose. I think his Kurz and Melissa aren't really accurate, unless you only consider Fumoffu. But whatever.

On a completely unrelated note, what do people think of Gatoh's explanation of the whispered? I expected something crazier than what was revealed...
AndreiBurnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 13:28   Link #3085
Hussar67
Old school NES

Quote:
On a completely unrelated note, what do people think of Gatoh's explanation of the whispered? I expected something crazier than what was revealed...
I was pleasantly surprised by Gatoh's revelation -- it was simple to comprehend, didn't leave too-large plot holes, and kept it in within the "acceptable" limit of science fiction (IMO).

Spoiler for revelation of Whispereds' origin:
Hussar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 18:43   Link #3086
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Somebody recommended him to somebody else who asked about fanfics, and I was too lazy to quote either of them.
Hahaha that was totally me...

Quote:
I am so utterly confused as to what is going on right now. I think it's because I've just been reading summarized translations but as of now I am completely lost. I haven't a clue what's going on or why all I know is that the Whispered are connected to each other, they are somehow (it's implied) connected to Sousuke, and

Spoiler for FMP books:

Ugh...can't wait for a full blown translation though I'm pretty sure it'll be a good 5 years before I can get my hands on one
Old 2008-04-18, 18:44   Link #3087
Titania

Do you know where I could get the FMP novels as BOMF in raw? I mean, scans of the original novels.
I know someone who would like to continue Ravyn's work.
Titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 00:58   Link #3088
Kai Yukari

Quote:

Spoiler for FMP books:

Ugh...can't wait for a full blown translation though I'm pretty sure it'll be a good 5 years before I can get my hands on one
That was just an illusion injected to her head by another whispered ~ more like mentally breaking her down so that whispered (Sophia) can overtake her body.
Kai Yukari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 02:09   Link #3089
Langus
Optimus Prime

Okay...so who is this Sophia person? I've heard she's like THE Whispered, the big head honcho who kind of lords it over the rest of them but do we know anything else about her? Like why possess Kaname of all people?
Old 2008-04-19, 02:50   Link #3090
lilien
fuzzy strawberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Most likely right before one of them dies, which sucks.
that's exactly what i was thinking =P that would be so drama
lilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 09:11   Link #3091
animonzta

hi guys. long time no see. its almost 1 year since I leave this thread 8D I thought ravyn stop translates fmp novels. I can't wait for the next novel..
animonzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 09:24   Link #3092
Kai Yukari

Quote:
Originally Posted by animonzta View Post
hi guys. long time no see. its almost 1 year since I leave this thread 8D I thought ravyn stop translates fmp novels. I can't wait for the next novel..
It's hard to be gone from this thread for so long, I'm currently reading all those pages I haven't read yet and I already spoiled myself regarding the new developments!
Old 2008-04-20, 05:32   Link #3093
Otakon
True Hero Saves The Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilien View Post
that's exactly what i was thinking =P that would be so drama
dont say junk like that, plus gatoh doesnt seem like the person to give a bad ending. he likes to tease but not disapoint.

plus it would kill his image also. the japanese hate those endings as much as we do. he is sort of a fairly new story/manga writer. his only story out is full metal panic.

look at any bad ending anime and find the author and see if he made it big after a bad ending. not what he is working on but what he has created and made it work. most of them FAILED!
Otakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 10:26   Link #3094
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakon View Post
dont say junk like that, plus gatoh doesnt seem like the person to give a bad ending. he likes to tease but not disapoint.

plus it would kill his image also. the japanese hate those endings as much as we do. he is sort of a fairly new story/manga writer. his only story out is full metal panic.

look at any bad ending anime and find the author and see if he made it big after a bad ending. not what he is working on but what he has created and made it work. most of them FAILED!
Quite the contrary, I'm pretty much expecting (and prepared for) a bad ending. For some short works for fan-service, band endings may ruin the whole thing. But given by the long-time, epic storyline of FMP, a bad ending may leave it a mark in Anime history, if he wrote it well, that is.

ps.Chapter 2 Translation received. Start working in a few days.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 10:44   Link #3095
Kai Yukari

Well, let's hope its not a bad ending but rather a sad/bittersweet one with the 2 main characters remaining alive, of course. Gambatte HunterSeeker!!! ^______^
Old 2008-04-20, 10:50   Link #3096
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Eh it is a personal thing. Bad ending for me would leave a bad mark. But I have said why many times. If this ends bad, I will just try to forget about this story.

^^ and one getting killed is a bad ending. To me anyways.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 12:12   Link #3097
Langus
Optimus Prime

I'm wagering that neither Sousuke or Chidori will die but
Spoiler for spoiler for FMP:
Old 2008-04-20, 12:21   Link #3098
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Well......The first part comes, folks.
(As always, Chinese translation made by cnfmp and Working House)
Spoiler for the first part of the exciting NOT:
Oh come on why's it fail, I think its awesome that they finally went at it. They were meant for eachother. But wait didnt Kurz (my mentor) have a girl back home he was sending his money to or something?

On another note I think many people would be disappointed by a tragic ending where either chidori or sousuke dies, as I can't really see the other going on without them. Even if it was well written I don't think I would be satisfied with the death of Mao, Kurz, Sousuke, or Chidori. If you want to be tragic kill Tessa or the whole freaking submarine.

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 14:32   Link #3099
Teh2ndrunner
History Fanatic

Hmm , the idea isn't a fail ofc but I think when he says 'a fail' he means the writing in which the scene was portrayed - maybe it was too vivid 0_0 It's annoying that it's just some accident which builds up to the 'kiss' and that Mao is thinkin' o Sousuke for a bit of it ( she really should be thinking of Kurtz if she actually cares about him). The way it seems it was more a relieving of sexual tension and not lovers showing their true feelings' is prolly why I dnt like the scene as much as I should.

Quote:
Quite the contrary, I'm pretty much expecting (and prepared for) a bad ending. For some short works for fan-service, band endings may ruin the whole thing. But given by the long-time, epic storyline of FMP, a bad ending may leave it a mark in Anime history, if he wrote it well, that is.

ps.Chapter 2 Translation received. Start working in a few days.
Its sweet tht ur continuing Hunter , thx again. Now then I dunno who said a bad ending was usually a fail , but in my mind neon genesis evangelion wasn't a fail and the creator has even started to remake the series as a tribute to its fans! ( a way of saying thx for all the cash - here's the one of the best animes using the newest animation technology). This one example proves that sad endings , although not all that popular still don't reck a storyline. I totally agree with Hunterseeker on that issue. Yeah some short animes which have sad endings suck , but longer , more in depth ones can can on to make a place in the History books - back to NGE again!
Teh2ndrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 00:22   Link #3100
Kai Yukari

IMO, I didn't think NGE had a bad/sad ending (assuming if you add the END of Eva), I wasn't pulling my hair so.... Shinji was alive, Asuka came back from that sea of LCL and the rest you could philosophize.

NGE had a story as deep as the Mariana Trench and I don't think you could say the same for FMP. If Gatoh suddenly transforms into an Anno >_< oh God forbid!!! A sad ending is forgivable, a bad ending is unforgivable.

I like Langus' idea though:

Quote:
I'm wagering that neither Sousuke or Chidori will die but
Spoiler for spoiler for FMP:

Tags
light novels, mecha, shounen