AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-13, 16:13   Link #1
heavensgatekeeper7

Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer

i know this had probably been asked alot but i searched and really didnt find anything. so my question which one is better or which one do u prefer to use. im still using internet explorer and there are somethings a that are starting to get annoying and was wondering if firefox has certain problems to. most recently my IE will say error and close itself right after u open it and will do it like 5 or 6 times if u were just using it and closed it for some reason or another. any help is greatly appreciated and if there is other threads protaining to this topic please let me know and i will kindly remove this post.
heavensgatekeeper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 16:32   Link #2
leetdood

Switch to firefox. You'll never go back.
leetdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 17:46   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Your use of web browser is a personal choice. When you initially switch, you'll need to get used to some new quirks and you'll discover features that make your life easier. Firefox is free, so download it and force yourself to use it for a week. At the end of that period, decide which you prefer. I'd recommend making it at least a week and putting some effort into discovering the new features, just to make it fair. We'd all default back to what is familiar to us otherwise.

I use Opera, which is also free. I prefer it to Firefox for a number of reasons. While it's better for me, Firefox may be better for some other people. You'll have a better feel for your browsing habits and for what fits you best.
Old 2008-02-14, 00:32   Link #4
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I personally use all 3. I use FF loaded up with security addons such as noscript, ad-block, petname, spoofstick and a few others to browse the wild. For sites I am used to I use Opera (apart from this site as I like bazakuda to grab images) and finally if I am forced to I use IE6 for example work OWA doesn't work properly with FF and Opera. Before anyone points out how as I use ubuntu, I use IE6 with ie4linux
Old 2008-02-14, 03:26   Link #5
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I used Opera myself, but I used FF strictly to download stuff from mega upload for their MU plugin ^^ (Malaysian have those annoying download slot limit and their toolbar is nothing but a spyware )

I didnt even have adblock plugin for FF, so I need to run virus/spyware checker after every use.

I dont even remember the last time I used IE for surfing. I do fired up IE7 to see how my website showed up in IE, other then that.. no IE use.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 04:02   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yet another Opera aficionado here. I do use Firefox for certain purposes, but mostly Opera is the browser that saves me he most time and is the most comfortable for me.

We might disagree over Firefox or Opera being the best, but so far everyone responding certainly seem to agree that IE is the worst out there.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 04:28   Link #7
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

I use FF, occasionally Opera. I do believe FF has better browsing features and I got very used to it quickly. FF won for me when I first discovered it had the 'tabs' feature. Oh boy, how I use that alot. (I just discovered - Click on the scroll button to open a new tab to whatever...XD)

I was trying out the latest version of IE a couple of days ago, seemed alright...but yeah, Opera or FF is the way to go.
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 04:45   Link #8
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Firefox, definitely. But I sometimes uses Opera for time-saving comfort.

The problem with IE (which most of cyber cafe operators here overlook) is that IE tends to go unstable and frequently causes the PC (and, to some extent, the Internet line) to slow down (even when we're doing nothing). And I always distrust IE (no offense here) for its security loophole, despite its continuous update service.

So yeah, unless if you're forced to, use alternative Internet browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
I used Opera myself, but I used FF strictly to download stuff from mega upload for their MU plugin ^^ (Malaysian have those annoying download slot limit and their toolbar is nothing but a spyware )
I agree. and what's worse, if you're unlucky, the download keeps cutting off at critical moments.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 04:51   Link #9
Phantasmagoria
*Author

I use all 3.

IE for websites that are not compatible with Opera and Firefox.

Opera for multi-tasking 15 sites at once.

Firefox for websites that are not compatible with IE or Opera.
Old 2008-02-14, 06:00   Link #10
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I use Opera too. Here's another reasons :
- It can easily saves web pages as a .mht archives (single files).
- Nice highlighting feature, try highlight a checkbox / radiobox.
- Download window are in a tab instead in another window.
- I can see my current transfer speed, loaded page size, loaded image number, images count in a page. So i can easily say wether it's still loading the page or not.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 07:29   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Here you go I need to use that because 1) I refuse to install a fucking toolbar, and 2) that toolbar doesn't work on Linux anyways.

I use Firefox. I've tried Opera many many times in the past, but I could never get used to its quirks and its website rendering, plus I've been too spoiled by Adblock. FF has the advantage of being open source, and with extensions like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock, Noscript and many others, browsing is much, much comfortable.

Being a Linux user, IE is out of the question (well, I could technically use it under WINE but there's no way in hell I'm setting it up).

PS: For us Linux users (and soon for Windows users, too, now that Qt4 is going multiplatform), there is another popular browser, Konqueror, which uses the same rendering engine as Safari (well, it's rather the other way around ).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 08:16   Link #12
EXEs
Hallelujah...

No Internet Exploder for me. IE7 is a bastardisation of Firefox. And my internet hates it, won't load IE.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 22:07   Link #13
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I use firefox i also dual boot xp and fedora core 7.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:33   Link #14
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Here you go I need to use that because 1) I refuse to install a fucking toolbar, and 2) that toolbar doesn't work on Linux anyways.
My only use for FF is for their MegaUpload plugin which allow me to download already.. Unless the site works for Opera, which I didnt test yet, that site is redundant.. Still, its a good backup in case the plugin I used failed ^^

Thanks anyway
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 23:25   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensgatekeeper7 View Post
i know this had probably been asked alot but i searched and really didnt find anything.
(didn't find anything?) I created a thread a long time ago; it has a poll. Creating a new poll would get the same results IMO. Opinions have hardly changed. A lot of what is important about the browsers was said there already.
Old 2008-02-15, 02:50   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Either Opera or Firefox is a much *safer* browsing experience. IE still has so many holes in it some of the security journals have stopped listing them.... they just say "Stop Using The Damn Thing.".

I now refuse to visit sites that are "IE-crippled" and simply write them to tell them why I won't do business with a company that doesn't take security seriously.
Old 2008-02-15, 04:18   Link #17
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Excellent. Thanks.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 16:58   Link #18
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I now refuse to visit sites that are "IE-crippled" and simply write them to tell them why I won't do business with a company that doesn't take security seriously.
Seconded, although I typically tell them that I masked as Internet Explorer and used their site just fine, so remove your IE garbage message. So far I've gotten two websites to remove it...
Old 2008-02-15, 18:15   Link #19
Ending

Did you know that beta 3 of Firefox 3 is already out? It has some new, neat features in it. And once the finished version comes out, you can update straight from the browser.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 21:39   Link #20
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I use Safari as my main browser. It integrates nicely with OS X (something Firefox and Opera do not... at all). Uses the keychain, built-in spell checker, etc. I also enjoy the ability to tear tabs out of a window to create a separate window. Text input areas are resizable which is cool. That and http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/ makes browsing more bearable.

Firefox sucks on OS X IMO. They're making an effort with FF3 to have it suck less so now it looks like an OS X app but it still doesn't act like one. Opera doesn't feel native on any platform but on OS X it seems to make an effort to stand out.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browsers, software