AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-07-12, 22:23   Link #32801
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
A new Shadowverse short, inspired by some of the recent discussion we had in the FFT. Lutecia is 14, Vivio is 10, in terms of age, mostly because I wanted to get them at an age where romance wasn't an issue for either of them.

Spoiler for Pillow Talk:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

D'awww. It was rather short and very sweet! It definitely shows Vivio as a child that admires the Cool Older Girl that Lulu is to her. I find it funny that she deflated a bit when she realized "whoops, woke her up!".

Also, love the pillow gag. *snicker* Though the fact that Miranda is included in here makes me want to grab you and shake you hard for killing her off when she has so much potential, grr. *shakes fist* I like the fact that Lulu is able to see Nanoha's point of view concerning Vivio getting a device, and shares it, showing that before she and Vi got into a relationship, Lu just wanted what was best for her.

By the way: The "Dezo-mentioned-in-one-of-his-stories-that-Vi-got-Burning Glory-at-ten" story is Actually One of the Better Excuses.

Again, cute short! Keep 'em coming!
Old 2011-07-12, 22:44   Link #32802
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
A new Shadowverse short, inspired by some of the recent discussion we had in the FFT. Lutecia is 14, Vivio is 10, in terms of age, mostly because I wanted to get them at an age where romance wasn't an issue for either of them.

Spoiler for Pillow Talk:

No real time for a proper review (too many other things to respond to in messages and e-mails), but I note that it's Corona who's the scholastic genius (straight 100s on her tests in ViVid!) while Rio is the one who's tops in magic. And I nearly spat pomegranate soda all over the computer when I got to the part about Miranda. (I note though...um...it totally reads wrong without the Author's Note )
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 22:56   Link #32803
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
No real time for a proper review (too many other things to respond to in messages and e-mails), but I note that it's Corona who's the scholastic genius (straight 100s on her tests in ViVid!) while Rio is the one who's tops in magic. And I nearly spat pomegranate soda all over the computer when I got to the part about Miranda. (I note though...um...it totally reads wrong without the Author's Note )
Ah, shoot, I thought it was Rio. I'll have to go back and edit that later at some point, that's what I get for not reading Vivid anymore. And blah, that was not what I intended! I guess I'll have to make it more clear in the one-shot that Lutecia and Miranda sleeping together like that is something they're doing because they have to, and not for any other reason.
Old 2011-07-12, 23:10   Link #32804
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDragon View Post
Well, this is my first publishing of a fic in years...

Oh, and even if this was my idea...I blame Nanya for convincing me to write it out.

Spoiler for Vita's capture:

Oh, and Raiser...a pear necklace....
Did the Harry and David catalog add a new item since I last looked?
Interesting, to say the least. I never really though out how the Wolkies became part of the TotNS, but this can turn to fit very well. Keep at it.

Quote:

Spoiler for Pillow Talk:

I didn't get the pillow gag (maybe because it came from another fic/short and I haven't read it yet) Anyway, the conversation between the two seemed normal, maybe a little too normal, in a way that I can't really place it. Maybe it's because you set it up way when they were younger that I didn't got the feeling of anything much. If the thought was to get across that Vivio looked up to Lutecia in a 'cool older girl' I hate to say but it came off as rather mild. But the content was interesting enough to get a few grins from me, so in the end I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Just to get my quota for the day...

And, I told you guys, these mini-arcs aren't going to be very long.

Red

Yagami Start

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Yagami End:
Ohoho... Reinforce is resembling more and more the Okami figure on Hanasaku Iroha, on the tough-love part.
Zafira playing the protective older brother? Want!
Shamal... Binds... S&M... Too many unclean toughts to write it up.
I couldn't stop laughing at Vita's scrambling and could almost picture Signum sweating cold. Nice.
Poor Hayate tough. After going through rehab once, having to go again sure sounds tough.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 00:50   Link #32805
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Just to get my quota for the day...

And, I told you guys, these mini-arcs aren't going to be very long.

Red

Yagami Start

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Yagami End:
Everybody's overprotective here it seems, maybe it's a family trait.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 01:41   Link #32806
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDragon View Post
Well, this is my first publishing of a fic in years...

Oh, and even if this was my idea...I blame Nanya for convincing me to write it out.

Spoiler for Vita's capture:
Interesting idea. Signum, Shamal and Zafira's almost brainwashed responses have me wondering if they are faking enthusiasm because it's safer that way, or if there are nastier things going on.

I was puzzled as well at the "unknown scene here" part though .

Quote:

Spoiler for Pillow Talk:

The title....I love it . Loaded phrase, yet knowing that this is pre-ViCia immediately had me thinking about what the title could mean, and so I laughed in delight when I saw why .

I liked the bit about Lutecia considering blocking the call anyway even though she knew it was from Vivio--I'm sure anyone can relate to the experience of debating being a jerk when they really don't want to talk . It was a nice character moment for Lutecia there, and also when she eventually decides to take the call after all .

The whole scene of Miranda and Lutecia smacking each other around while half-asleep had me giggling . You can really see that they've been spending too much time with each other .

I found that Vivio's reactions and speaking with Lutecia made me think more of two good friends, and not as much about admiration. I'd imagine that if Vivio admired Lutecia she'd really care about Lutecia's reactions and praise, and yet you jumped past moments where you could have showed that (for instance, when Lutecia congratulates Vivio for doing well on a test Vivio's next reaction isn't blushing or being pleased that Lutecia praised her, but instead jumped to being happy that her parents were proud). So while I definitely got a great friendship feel between them (hey, actually waking up to pick up a call that wasn't urgent really shows friendship! ) I didn't quite get as much of the "admiring my older friend" feel you were trying for .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Sometimes its the little things that inspire a fic... like a lesbian's training wheels.
LOL, yes . Yuuno sure is a woman's best friend .

Quote:
I guess I'll have to make it more clear in the one-shot that Lutecia and Miranda sleeping together like that is something they're doing because they have to, and not for any other reason.
I personally got that it was platonic. It was actually kind of funny/cute in my opinion , imagining the two of them as such good friends/comrades that they can collapse into bed together after a long mission and smack each other around while half-asleep without feel guilty about it .

But a bit of extra description setting up why they were in bed in the first place and how they got there together, wouldn't be amiss ^^.

Last edited by deathcurse; 2011-07-13 at 01:52.
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 02:02   Link #32807
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Also, I love your avatar. From where is it?
Hmm, the double-griffin? Dragon Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
LOL, sorry . Not saying it won't ever happen, but I really don't need another plot-bunny right now .
Nonsense. You can never have enough bunnies.

'Tis fine. I can wait for the return of Our Dark Mistress of Tragedy in patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Spoiler for Desperate Measures:
Yipes.

Sometimes people must be reminded of all the midnight calls, wiretapping and every other form of privacy-intrusion before they realize that stalking is not romantic.

That goes for you too, sparkly! Especially you!!
Old 2011-07-13, 04:38   Link #32808
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So I don't sound like I'm only picking on yuri, Warp Obscura's Reinforce/Yuuno stories have the same problem. The first one he did had them married so it was rather confusing. I've told him a few times he needs to go back to the beginning and show just how they got to that point.
I freely admit to leaping headlong into the pairing with only the flimsiest NSFW reasons for it.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 07:42   Link #32809
Eagle8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Don't apologize. I just finished and it was an amazing piece. My ff.net review goes more into detail.

... though I can't help but say, the warning to put away the yuri goggles made me laugh in hindsight, because I found the LesYay so thick no goggles were needed to spot it. XD
Weeeell....that suggestion was because I usually make the LesYay stuff a lot more...explicit. On the other hand, it's hardly even any close to anything like that here. (I would also say it's a well-placed warning, because a friend threw an internet pebble at me and made D: faces when she read and found out there's no real NF scenes that went beyond what was there... )

And while I decided that romance simply had no place in the story, well, that didn't mean I would do away with 7 Arcs shipteasing-style completely.

Quote:
You set-up the entire scene of the short to get a single pillow-fight gag out?

... ... ...

I approve.
Seconded!

Last edited by Eagle8819; 2011-07-13 at 09:29.
Eagle8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 09:27   Link #32810
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
I found that Vivio's reactions and speaking with Lutecia made me think more of two good friends, and not as much about admiration. I'd imagine that if Vivio admired Lutecia she'd really care about Lutecia's reactions and praise, and yet you jumped past moments where you could have showed that (for instance, when Lutecia congratulates Vivio for doing well on a test Vivio's next reaction isn't blushing or being pleased that Lutecia praised her, but instead jumped to being happy that her parents were proud). So while I definitely got a great friendship feel between them (hey, actually waking up to pick up a call that wasn't urgent really shows friendship! ) I didn't quite get as much of the "admiring my older friend" feel you were trying for .
Yeah, when I went back and reread it I figured I probably missed that intention by like a mile. Mostly because I'm not completely sure if I want to sort of show a younger Vivio as looking up to Lutecia, or if I want to show it as a more "equal" good friendship where they get along well together in spite of the age difference.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:58   Link #32811
GonzoTheAnimeFan
Meh....

Don't mind me if you don't need to. But I needed to make sure I'm on the right track with a Nanoha fanfic I'm writing. It's kinda dark, but it's about Lindy finding out how a sudden rapist might be trying to abuse Fate and she devise a way to kill him. In it, I'm also trying to put pressure on her by being compared in motherly duties as Precia.

Spoiler for The Snippet of the Fanfic in Question:

Creative and positive comments welcomed. Thanks!
GonzoTheAnimeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 11:25   Link #32812
blissfullyunaware

I finally got around to reading Circuit Clout. Full review on FF.net.

Random question about fan fiction in general. Do you guys know of any particular phase that gets so overused it actually makes you cringe when you read it? Mine happens to "he/she/ they couldn't help but..."
I read part of a really bad story that had that phase in every other paragraph...scarred me for life. If it only occurs a few times in a piece than that is fine (for example, Eagle uses it several time in Circuit Clout and it is a wonderfully written story, the phrase doesn't hinder the emotion), but the more I read it the more I am reminded of nails on a chalk board. Ever experience anything like that?

Last edited by blissfullyunaware; 2011-07-13 at 11:36.
blissfullyunaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 11:39   Link #32813
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

I can't say that I have a specific phrase or snippet, but one thing that I definetelly don't like, (specially when I'm writing) is reading the names of the character over and over again. Things such "Nanoha did <something>" and then in the next phrase, still refering to 'Nanoha' it starts "Nanoha looked at <something>". If it one or two times it's okay and all, but when it's used several times in the same paragraph, it get's annoying as hell.

When writing, I like to used descriptions and pronoums as much as possible (tough sometimes people call me on it because of the sheer vagueness that they don't know who I'm talking about), and when reading a fic that rely solely on the character name without describing him/her at all, I get the feeling that I'm reading something out of RPG or Visual Novel.

It doesn't need to be all the time too, but the repeating of the character name is my main gripe when reading. But in my case, as in yours, there's exceptions.

Last edited by sniperk; 2011-07-13 at 11:51.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 12:36   Link #32814
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Yeah, when I went back and reread it I figured I probably missed that intention by like a mile. Mostly because I'm not completely sure if I want to sort of show a younger Vivio as looking up to Lutecia, or if I want to show it as a more "equal" good friendship where they get along well together in spite of the age difference.
Actually, for your purposes (the friendship growing into a relationship as they get older), the 'equal friendship' might work better. Or at least, it seems to me that Vivio looking up to Cia as the 'cool older girl' is behavior that would make Lutecia see her as more of a surrogate baby sister than a friend. 'Friend' can turn into lover pretty naturally; 'surrogate family' not as much. Does this make sense?
Old 2011-07-13, 12:56   Link #32815
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
I finally got around to reading Circuit Clout. Full review on FF.net.

Random question about fan fiction in general. Do you guys know of any particular phase that gets so overused it actually makes you cringe when you read it? Mine happens to "he/she/ they couldn't help but..."
I read part of a really bad story that had that phase in every other paragraph...scarred me for life. If it only occurs a few times in a piece than that is fine (for example, Eagle uses it several time in Circuit Clout and it is a wonderfully written story, the phrase doesn't hinder the emotion), but the more I read it the more I am reminded of nails on a chalk board. Ever experience anything like that?
Not exactly a phrase per se, but any pseudo-Japanese phrases (other than actual speech in Japanese by a character that legitimately has a reason to speak Japanese) raises my hackles faster than a turtle strapped to a burning rocket.
Old 2011-07-13, 13:53   Link #32816
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Actually, for your purposes (the friendship growing into a relationship as they get older), the 'equal friendship' might work better. Or at least, it seems to me that Vivio looking up to Cia as the 'cool older girl' is behavior that would make Lutecia see her as more of a surrogate baby sister than a friend. 'Friend' can turn into lover pretty naturally; 'surrogate family' not as much. Does this make sense?
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. I originally sort of batted around the idea of 'cool older girl' because I liked the thought of it being a sort of small, nagging guilt in the back of Lutecia's mind, that Vivio looked up to her so much when she did so many not so nice things. But going that angle would probably make the family bond stronger between them and make Lutecia less inclined to view Vivio as a romantic partner, compared to them just being good friends who happen to have an age difference.

EDIT: @Dezo: I noted your comments and edited the short, replacing Rio with Corona since I managed to mix that up. I also added an additional line to show why Miranda and Lutecia were sleeping together, but I don't know if it adds to the flow of the one-shot or hinders it.
Old 2011-07-13, 14:06   Link #32817
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. I originally sort of batted around the idea of 'cool older girl' because I liked the thought of it being a sort of small, nagging guilt in the back of Lutecia's mind, that Vivio looked up to her so much when she did so many not so nice things. But going that angle would probably make the family bond stronger between them and make Lutecia less inclined to view Vivio as a romantic partner, compared to them just being good friends who happen to have an age difference.

EDIT: @Dezo: I noted your comments and edited the short, replacing Rio with Corona since I managed to mix that up. I also added an additional line to show why Miranda and Lutecia were sleeping together, but I don't know if it adds to the flow of the one-shot or hinders it.
Good, good. I was worried for a second there because I'm not 100% sure how you wanted their early relationship to have developed. But it seems poor Cia has enough issues to overcome without making her romance faux-incestuous.
Old 2011-07-13, 14:15   Link #32818
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Good, good. I was worried for a second there because I'm not 100% sure how you wanted their early relationship to have developed. But it seems poor Cia has enough issues to overcome without making her romance faux-incestuous.
Heh, I agree . Poor Lutecia!

It's neat to see them as equal friends despite the age-gap too, since it both shows Vivio's maturity and also shows Lutecia's character in how she clearly respects people based on their personality and thoughts, rather than their age or rank .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 14:45   Link #32819
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
But it seems poor Cia has enough issues to overcome without making her romance faux-incestuous.
Oh yes, I have no intention of touching that particular issue with a ten foot pole. It's bad enough that I already have Rain dealing with true sister incest between Rin and Sakura, I don't need to worry about emotional incest in Shadowverse.
Old 2011-07-13, 15:23   Link #32820
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Oh yes, I have no intention of touching that particular issue with a ten foot pole. It's bad enough that I already have Rain dealing with true sister incest between Rin and Sakura, I don't need to worry about emotional incest in Shadowverse.
Cia has enough emotional scars without it, I think.

Plus, it saves you an extensive rewrite of this story, which is not bad perk on its own. XD

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha