AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 22:35   Link #1
Miloch

Back In the Saddle Again

I just started watching anime again after a goodly break. Around December of 2008 I stopped watching anime due to various reasons. I'm getting back into it. Was going to ask for the dreaded anime recommendations. Mainly I'm trying to catch up on what I missed in 2009 and early 2010. Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:26   Link #2
yoropa
Director

I'd recommend Durarara!! personally.
Old 2010-05-09, 09:08   Link #3
Miloch

Thank you, Yoropa. I'll check it out.
Old 2010-05-09, 09:57   Link #4
Scorch

Any particular genres you want? I'd recommend Durarara and Bakemonogatari without knowing. Kara no Kyoukai finished (all 7 movies) - great if you like supernatural action.
Old 2010-05-09, 10:30   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If you don't mind 50 episodes, Cross Game started in April 2009 and ended in early 2010. Top contender for the best series of 09-10 to boot.
Old 2010-05-09, 11:42   Link #6
Miloch

Thank you for the recommendations. I will say I'm not a big fan of sports animes, though that one looks somewhat interesting. I'll have to watch an episode or two of it. My two favorite animes so far were Full Metal Panic and Code Geass. I prefer sci-fi to fantasy, but watch both. If I'm going to watch mecha I prefer it be somewhat serious and without the yelling of attack names you see in some gundam series. DL'n Bakemonogatari and Durarara.
Oh and I love the Darker Than Black series. I'm watching the new releases as I type this.
Old 2010-05-09, 11:53   Link #7
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'd say Gundam 00 is a 'somewhat serious' mecha, although the plot's a bit muddled by the second half of the second season. If you're familiar with the Gundam universe, you should watch Gundam Unicorn for sure, I enjoyed the first episode even though I wasn't

I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for now. A superior remake of the original, following the manga story. Fantastic animation, voicework and plot.

Also, seconding Durarara! It's brilliant.
Old 2010-05-09, 12:12   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloch View Post
I prefer sci-fi to fantasy, but watch both. If I'm going to watch mecha I prefer it be somewhat serious
Try Dennou Coil, Noein, and Planetes, all excellent science-fiction shows. Oh! Edo Rocket is something of a sci-fi show though it's set in 1843-44.
Old 2010-05-09, 14:46   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Try the ongoing Angel Beats, and I'd recommend Canaan if you want a good sci-fi action series.
Definitely try Bakemonogatari
MAL
Old 2010-05-10, 06:19   Link #10
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

Michiko to Hatchin is nice even though it's underrated.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 if you like drama. I almost shed a tear. Almost...

Spice and Wolf I and II has the sterile feel of medieval economics but after the first few episodes, it comes out well if you don't mind pausing and rewinding to read and digest the explanations.

Eve no Jikan - Outstanding ova series. This is one of my all time favorites.

Hatsukoi Limited - Romance anime without the harem even though it has a sizable female cast.

K-On - Great if you want something after a stressful day. No real story here. Just moeblob.

Hellsing Ultimate - Nah. Maybe you should wait after it finishes after a few more years. Then again, maybe not.

Zoku Natsume Yujinchou - The first season was great and the second season is almost great. Still recommended.

Toradora - If you can get stomach Taiga, then this is one of the better animes last year.

B Gata H Kei - The girl's the wolf while the dude's the sheep. Add that together and it's comedy gold.

And the other stuff recommended by the other posters with special mention to Durarara
Closed Thread