AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-25, 20:57   Link #19701
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Oh, I shall, I shall.

It may be a bit more realistic, and people may actually die when they get killed befriended, but that doesn't mean it won't be awesome.

Currently plotting just how much of Yomi Isayama I want Miyuki to channel... *grin*
Old 2009-11-25, 21:00   Link #19702
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Except in MGLN, magic isn't magic, it's technology. Magic A is Magic A.

Setting phasers Devices to stun shouldn't raze the cityscape as a result.
They'd call it technology then. :P

But if you wanna go there, then the skilled high rank mages can reprogram their magic on the fly, or set various parameters for different types of the same spells. Science is full of stuff that reacts differently to different substances.

In a sense, if you have a high enough technology base to where you can modify individual atoms or particles of a wave, you can program how they react. I can program a whole wide range of If/then statements, full of variables to be filled upon the activation of a spell! =)

But this is all just fun theorycrafting.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:02   Link #19703
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Except in MGLN, magic isn't magic, it's technology. Magic A is Magic A.

Setting phasers Devices to stun shouldn't raze the cityscape as a result.
I wonder if it was just this one article or if it was really how it is, but I recall reading somewhere in the local paper that Magic in the Nanoverse was supposed to be non-lethal? That's why they banned Physical weapons in order to just "knock out" the enemy. I do understand though...doesn't quite make sense when the same spell made to "knock your opponent out" can be used to "level 3 city blocks" lol

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:02   Link #19704
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

"I totally did not understand that. But what the heck, I'll do things how I've always done; ZENRYOKU ZENKAI! "

~~ Every Shounen Blockhead Hero since ever.

Old 2009-11-25, 21:16   Link #19705
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

*pokes head into discussion* Out of curiosity, do you think edged weapons are more lethal than the beam spam magics? We know it can be lethal, witness Signum and Zest and the numerous times Signum and Fate cut each other using their respective swords.

Does it mean the sword users have to be extra in control to prevent themselves from killing the other person?

(And, boy, do I really, really want the manga to 'illustrate' a full scale Signum vs. Fate battle. I bet its a different type of battle from the Signum vs. Nanoha one we saw in the Striker S manga but no less intense.)
isagrimorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:17   Link #19706
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I wonder if it was just this one article or if it was really how it is, but I recall reading somewhere in the local paper that Magic in the Nanoverse was supposed to be non-lethal? That's why they banned Physical weapons in order to just "knock out" the enemy. I do understand though...doesn't quite make sense when the same spell made to "knock your opponent out" can be used to "level 3 city blocks" lol
@Thunder: That's an old theory in the tech thread. It's been changed it's wording slightly:

Scientific conventional weapons only kill. Not only that, conventional weapons (I prefer this nomenclature rather than "scientific", especially when magic is a science) have dramatically higher yields but are capable of only indiscriminate death and destruction.

Magic was allowed because it has a stun setting, is lower in damage yield (3 blocks versus cities or planets) and is much more easily regulated. It also allows the ones in power (the Bureau) to retain their power projection abilities while appeasing the people's great wariness for war, which had lasted millenia before TSAB came to power.

There are still some exceptions to the rule though. TSAB ships are still armed with conventional weapons as evidenced by the Arc. It's quite possible that TSAB vehicles are except since the number of mages needed to power them is not sufficient.
Old 2009-11-25, 21:23   Link #19707
DKN117

...Yeah, it's me again. After storming out of the forum last week, I actually went back and looked at my older posts and... well, shame has filled me. Not just at my replies to people's criticisms, but also that, now that I'm not in Defensive Fanboy Mode, I can see just how much suckage (ESPECIALLY the Nanoha/Negima fic) my ideas really had - I fell victim to these two Tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldShame
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...n.SturgeonsLaw

Now that I've calmed down, I wish to sincerely apologize for my previous conduct. I was way outta line back there (I also have a bad habit of taking EVERYTHING personally; just ask my mother, my sister, my friends, my college professors, my driving instructor...). And I probably... okay, definitely didn't think before I spoke... er, "typed". I'm not going to try posting any full-fledged new ideas, since I don't want you all to suffer from my poorer ones while I slowly, painstakingly learn how to do it right.

I will now post the rest of my fic ideas that I am now abandoning as lost causes; feel free to make comments as you wish, and I'll spend five minutes thinking after I read each one before I even THINK of posting a reply. Fire away; I can take it!

Spoiler for Teana & Modern Warfare 2:

Spoiler for NanoHalo:

Spoiler for Fate vs. Precia:

Spoiler for Nanoha's New Technique:

Lastly, though this isn't a fic idea, I wanted to explain my personal view on ki/chakra and magic, and their relation to each other.

Spoiler for Relation of Ki and Magic:

Again, I DEEPLY apologize for all my previous conduct here. The fic ideas mentioned above have all been dropped for fear of falling victim again to Sturgeon's Law. That being said, I have no problems with you all critiquing them and picking out every single flaw, and will actually THINK before responding to anything said in reply to this all. Go ahead.
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:27   Link #19708
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
@Thunder: That's an old theory in the tech thread. It's been changed it's wording slightly:

Scientific conventional weapons only kill. Not only that, conventional weapons (I prefer this nomenclature rather than "scientific", especially when magic is a science) have dramatically higher yields but are capable of only indiscriminate death and destruction.

Magic was allowed because it has a stun setting, is lower in damage yield (3 blocks versus cities or planets) and is much more easily regulated. It also allows the ones in power (the Bureau) to retain their power projection abilities while appeasing the people's great wariness for war, which had lasted millenia before TSAB came to power.

There are still some exceptions to the rule though. TSAB ships are still armed with conventional weapons as evidenced by the Arc. It's quite possible that TSAB vehicles are except since the number of mages needed to power them is not sufficient.
Ah thanks for the clarification, saves me the trouble of having to go through all my old magazines to find that exact post (seeing as its been going since 2004 that's a lot of digging T.T)

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:36   Link #19709
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
My understanding was that the Arc is a magical cannon and the TSAB doesn't maintain kinetic or conventional energy weapons at all, since their entire tech base is built on magic as a power source (rather than solar/nuclear/petrochemical).

This is kind of offtopic though.
Old 2009-11-25, 21:58   Link #19710
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
There are still some exceptions to the rule though. TSAB ships are still armed with conventional weapons as evidenced by the Arc.
The Arc-En-Ciel is classed as a "Magic Cannon" though. Just that unlike most other magic spells, the Arc does not have a "stun" setting, being a space-time distortion weapon And yes, this is going off-topic

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 22:45   Link #19711
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Right guys, he's made the first move towards reconciliation, so it's up to us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
...Yeah, it's me again. After storming out of the forum last week, I actually went back and looked at my older posts and... well, shame has filled me. Not just at my replies to people's criticisms, but also that, now that I'm not in Defensive Fanboy Mode, I can see just how much suckage (ESPECIALLY the Nanoha/Negima fic) my ideas really had - I fell victim to these two Tropes:

Now that I've calmed down, I wish to sincerely apologize for my previous conduct. I was way outta line back there (I also have a bad habit of taking EVERYTHING personally; just ask my mother, my sister, my friends, my college professors, my driving instructor...). And I probably... okay, definitely didn't think before I spoke... er, "typed". I'm not going to try posting any full-fledged new ideas, since I don't want you all to suffer from my poorer ones while I slowly, painstakingly learn how to do it right.

I will now post the rest of my fic ideas that I am now abandoning as lost causes; feel free to make comments as you wish, and I'll spend five minutes thinking after I read each one before I even THINK of posting a reply. Fire away; I can take it!
While I'm not too sure about the others here, I would like to give you credit for finally admitting your short-comings. Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything like that - I know what it's like, especially after a two-year stint in the military. I'm still not proud of what I did back in July 2008 - what I did was mainly driven by rage that was similar to yours, but it didn't excuse what I did, and I was lucky enough to escape with a "If I see you in life-threatening trouble outside in the civilian world, I'll just sit back and watch you get killed" warning.

Seriously. But that's a story that I'll never give the full details of, not even in PMs.

Back on topic now. The best way to go about writing a story and making it better is to actually go out there and write a story. Just giving the plot bunnies is not enough. Sure, you'll have some idea of what people would really like to see and what they don't want to see, but it doesn't exactly help in your writing abilities. Just write. If you're feeling unconfident about something, send a PM to someone for advice on how to carry out a particular plot. If you're doing any cross-overs, find someone with a working knowledge on the other franchise/series. My best bet? Look for JimmyC. Not that I've actually talked to him myself, but he does know a thing or two about whether particular parts of a story make sense or not.

Quote:

Spoiler for NanoHalo:

These are pretty decent ideas, but yeah, I suppose the reason why the others didn't really seem to like the ones with Teana was because she probably was OOC. Yes, she was, and still is, determined to redeem the Lanster name, but I just can't see her doing the things in your fic ideas, as cool as it may seem in your mind. The first one in particular is definitely a huge no-no; you're practically wiping out the Lanster family from the MGLN universe. The Halo-crossover works best if Teana actually came to accept her magical shortcomings BEFORE StrikerS.

I did find the ideas involving Precia Testarossa to be pretty decent. My only advice? Just write something. It doesn't matter whether you write a full chapter, an one-shot, or a snippet like what Satashi usually does when he/she is feeling mischievous, just write something as long as it's not in an idea format.

I'd pay to see Raising Heart in a broadsword form, though.

Quote:
Lastly, though this isn't a fic idea, I wanted to explain my personal view on ki/chakra and magic, and their relation to each other.

It's a pretty interesting theory. I'd like to see something come out of this.

Quote:
Again, I DEEPLY apologize for all my previous conduct here. The fic ideas mentioned above have all been dropped for fear of falling victim again to Sturgeon's Law. That being said, I have no problems with you all critiquing them and picking out every single flaw, and will actually THINK before responding to anything said in reply to this all. Go ahead.
Once again, while I'm not too sure about the others, I accept your apology. If you are honestly sincere about thinking things through before responding, then I can only say that I anticipate some of your stories in the near future. If you need some assistance in writing something, send me a PM.

One final note: sometimes, crazy works. While I haven't really received that many in-thread responses, my MGLN/Pride & Prejudice crossover generally has been turning heads in a positive manner.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 23:59   Link #19712
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
My understanding was that the Arc is a magical cannon and the TSAB doesn't maintain kinetic or conventional energy weapons at all, since their entire tech base is built on magic as a power source (rather than solar/nuclear/petrochemical).

This is kind of offtopic though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The Arc-En-Ciel is classed as a "Magic Cannon" though. Just that unlike most other magic spells, the Arc does not have a "stun" setting, being a space-time distortion weapon And yes, this is going off-topic
Oops...

Okay I'll revise:

The TSAB used to have a purely-magical arsenal, with some individuals (like Runessa) allowed conventional weapons after making said operative jump through loads of loops.

But the Jail Incident (and the fanon civil war that followed) exposed a flaw in that idealistic thinking. Amongst the many revisions of the armed forces thereafter were the relaxing of conventional weapons rules and the wider adoption of advanced moderate yield conventional weapons similar to the pulse weapons and concussion missile pods the Gadgets were armed with.

This however paved the way for more hawkish Bureaucrats to push their pet projects, like walking elephant tanks and orbital Einherjars (more accurately called Ion Cannons)...

<All these are fanon extension though. Pardon if it's a bit off-topic; since it's relevant to most of my fics set after StrikerS, I thought it would go here. >
Old 2009-11-26, 00:01   Link #19713
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Don't forget our high performance fighters and awesome powered armor exoskeletons!
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 00:12   Link #19714
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...yes I never forgot the Barracudas, Tigersharks, and Crisis battlesuits piloted by cyborg warriors.
Old 2009-11-26, 00:36   Link #19715
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:

I'm glad you calmed down.

Quote:

Spoiler for NanoHalo:

I have to agree with 0Z7UP; Teana seems a little too OOC. But it's a start.

Now the Precia and Fate fic; THAT looks promising and it would be great if you could give us more shorts/snippets or anything that is from the fic so we can see more of your characters in action and not as "ideas". I'm really interested to see where that story goes.

SIDE NOTE: I am STILL a HUGE fan of G-Gundam...but I never bought the anime series, only the manga... >.>
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 00:50   Link #19716
DKN117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
I'm glad you calmed down.

I have to agree with 0Z7UP; Teana seems a little too OOC. But it's a start.

Now the Precia and Fate fic; THAT looks promising and it would be great if you could give us more shorts/snippets or anything that is from the fic so we can see more of your characters in action and not as "ideas". I'm really interested to see where that story goes.

SIDE NOTE: I am STILL a HUGE fan of G-Gundam...but I never bought the anime series, only the manga... >.>
Due to fear of being ridiculed / picked apart, I never developed any of the ideas beyond what was posted above, and have no idea where to start. Those were just single scenes with no real background plot, because I never bothered to MAKE a background plot after my... previous experiences in this forum have left me convinced that my story-writing skills are abysmal beyond the capability of being saved.

Last edited by DKN117; 2009-11-26 at 00:55. Reason: minor spelling correction
Old 2009-11-26, 01:09   Link #19717
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Due to fear of being ridiculed / picked apart, I never developed any of the ideas beyond what was posted above, and have no idea where to start.
Don't be afraid. Being picked apart is a good thing; regardless of how you see the situation, people want to see you become a good writer, so just post whatever story that you have. If they keep pointing out mistakes, so what? Just take note of whatever they've said, use that, and make your story better. Satashi has said that he/she has constantly rewritten some of his/her stories to make them better.

Quote:
Those were just single scenes with no real background plot, because I never bothered to MAKE a background plot after my... previous experiences in this forum have left me convinved that my story-writing skills are abysmal beyond the capability of being saved.
Heh, I don't think I'm that good at writing stories, but hey, I've finally found a plot that I can work on, and I'm working on it slowly. Write something, and PM me.

* looks back at all related posts *

Personally, I think you've got a bit of a self-esteem problem. If you want to avoid all further problems, just be confident, post something, and use the feedback to improve yourself. If you want to degrade yourself, just do so in an amusing manner to show that you've acknowledged your faults, and that you're willing to do something about them.

To everyone else: Guys, whatever problems that you might still hold against DKN117, just drop them, and try to be supportive.
Old 2009-11-26, 01:17   Link #19718
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Due to fear of being ridiculed / picked apart, I never developed any of the ideas beyond what was posted above, and have no idea where to start. Those were just single scenes with no real background plot, because I never bothered to MAKE a background plot after my... previous experiences in this forum have left me convinced that my story-writing skills are abysmal beyond the capability of being saved.
You could start now and write because you want to. Hearing people reply to your ideas is great but in the end, it's your decision; either you write or you don't.
Try and post a fic, a chapter or something; write it as a draft so that later, you have at least a solid foundation to which you can build your final story. I know the fear; Hell! I even stopped posting Animal Instincts here because of my fear.

Many and I mean MANY of my stories have been ignored but like Satashi has said before, you can't force people to read your fics or comment them; it's a huge downer. Animal Instincts, my longest and most popular story I've written so far, has only gotten 26 reviews in f.f.net but as of 11/25/09, I've gotten 1,802 Hits and that is the most out of all my stories I've written in just two months of its release. Now, many of my reviewers are different people along with old ones which to me is a huge accomplishment! XD

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: Write, write and write some more. It's hard but write anyway.

And that Precia fic looks promising; it would be great if you can write more. If you have problems coming up with a plot, then do what you did before; write snippets so that you can get more ideas for later.

And when people give you advice on your story, listen; you'll be surprise what they can do to help you (a scene in Animal Instincts did not make sense whatsoever and I was very glad when a few people pointed it out to me and thus, I was able to fix it).

But if you need any help, PM me; I'll listen.
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 01:26   Link #19719
DKN117

So... I seem to be getting the best reactions with the Fate vs. Precia plot-bunny. The problem is... I simply don't have any other ideas. I'm ESPECIALLY stumped on where Precia's thoughts would go regarding the revelation that Fate was actually trying to kill her and came within centimeters/seconds of succeeding in this. I also can't think of any other meat for that particular story-skeleton; nature of the Lost Logia in question, the others' reactions to the whole thing, whether or not to put the above-shown G-Gundam reference scene in this fic or have it separate; what kind of people Precia's "allies" would be and what they'd be capable of; and whether or not to have Precia succeed in reviving Alicia (it would of course become an AU fic if this happened), and how Alicia would react to what her mother has become and what she'd done to Alicia's "sister".

...Ideas?
Old 2009-11-26, 01:32   Link #19720
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
So... I seem to be getting the best reactions with the Fate vs. Precia plot-bunny. The problem is... I simply don't have any other ideas. I'm ESPECIALLY stumped on where Precia's thoughts would go regarding the revelation that Fate was actually trying to kill her and came within centimeters/seconds of succeeding in this. I also can't think of any other meat for that particular story-skeleton; nature of the Lost Logia in question, the others' reactions to the whole thing, whether or not to put the above-shown G-Gundam reference scene in this fic or have it separate; what kind of people Precia's "allies" would be and what they'd be capable of; and whether or not to have Precia succeed in reviving Alicia (it would of course become an AU fic if this happened), and how Alicia would react to what her mother has become and what she'd done to Alicia's "sister".

...Ideas?
Try going along the lines of how Precia realised that Fate spared her despite having every right to do so, and go for a partial heel/face turn.

If you're having problems, just leave the story aside first and work on something else. When you have the time, just keep adding on to the basic skeletal frame that you have. As for the "something else", just write anything. Remember what I said: "Crazy works". Don't just focus on action - a good writer should be able to write other things as well. Besides, the more you write other things, the better idea you'll have on how to write the Precia/Fate story that's currently in your head.

We really could use more crack around here...

Edit: Page claim for "Crazy Works!".

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha