AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 15:35   Link #921
justavisitor

I don't think Ranka really looks that young tho

Normally I avoid watching anime that draws the female too young...I think characters in kanon look a bit too young...but Ranka Lee looks okay in macross

And Sheryl actually looks a bit too old there, sometimes (okay I open a can of worms here XD)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-05-21, 15:42   Link #922
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Now, now, let's not drag poor Taiga into this, shall we?
I just used her to state that there isn't really a problem with looking younger than their actual age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sure, Taiga looks like a child... that I won't deny, because it was intentional in the character design. Hell, its the running gag throughout the entire show, novel and drama CDs.

But the difference? She was entertaining.

And while I won't exaggerate Ranka's age, she does look pretty damn young for her stated age regardless of any way I look at her.

- Tak
But it's not like Ranka's character design was unintentional. Saying that Taiga was entertaining might be falling into subjectivity as well. I agree that she was entertaining in a comical sense though, I found Ranka entertaining for reasons that you probably hate/dislike her for.

Whether or not she looks younger than her age is not a problem when she is proven as a 16 year old.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-21, 16:06   Link #923
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

I dont dislike ranka because of her appearance alone, first few episodes into the anime I honestly thought ranka was quite cute in comparison to Sheryl who was portrayed as good for nothing but all full of herself type. Then she gradually developed into a very lovable and entertaining character with all the qualities of a real woman (yes in a physical sense as well ). Ranka on the other hand spent 3 quarter of her air time clinging onto others for both emotional and physical supports yet she got all the attention and care which made me thinking "Oh its orihime and her Ichigo kun jutsu all over again."
Old 2009-05-21, 16:13   Link #924
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaxxmintpie View Post
I dont dislike ranka because of her appearance alone, first few episodes into the anime I honestly thought ranka was quite cute in comparison to Sheryl who was portrayed as good for nothing but all full of herself type. Then she gradually developed into a very lovable and entertaining character with all the qualities of a real woman (yes in a physical sense as well ). Ranka on the other hand spent 3 quarter of her air time clinging onto others for both emotional and physical supports yet she got all the attention and care which made me thinking "Oh its orihime and her Ichigo kun jutsu all over again."
Deja vu? Yeah I've heard that opinion plenty of times, just enough for it to be engraved on my mind. I've been into plenty of arguments about that as well so I'll leave it at that. You have your opinion and I have mine

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-21, 16:20   Link #925
justavisitor

not to say that I like orihime as well XD

while I am at it:

Shuffle--Kaede
Ichigo 100%--aya
I''s--the main heroine
Naruto--Sakura (is there any other female XD??)
To-love-ru--All girls
A town where you live (manga)--Eba

and the main heroine from cyber formula is also one of my favorite
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-05-21, 16:34   Link #926
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
The thing I disliked about Ranka her lack of responsibility(and that actually they rarely scolded her for her wrong doings...) and her weak character development. They could make Ranka to a decent characters but the Moe and directorial spoiling dug her grave for me. I hope she'll have a better development in the movie. With that i don't mind a proper Ranka X Alto end.(despite the fact that i am a Sheryl fan and Sherly X Alto supporter)

Last edited by willyvereb; 2009-05-21 at 17:10.
Old 2009-05-21, 16:39   Link #927
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Naruto--Sakura (is there any other female XD??)
I like sakura too xD if i have to list my fav female characters:

Motoko Kusanagi (ghost in the shell), Real Mayer <3 (Ergo Proxy), Sabre (fate/stay night), Cz (scrapped princess), Shana (shakugan no shana), Lennert (Valkyrie profile), Shinku (rozen maiden), Astharoshe Asran (trinity blood), Sumeragi Lee Noriega (gundam 00) (the sexah woman, love her soooooo much), Soma Peries/Marie Perfacy (gundam 00), Misato (Neon genesis), Clare (claymore), Robin Sena (witch hunter robin), Sheryl (macross F)

can anyone spot similarities between those characters?

CC would have been in that list if I didnt stop watching code geass after first few episodes, can't stand the main lead at all.
Old 2009-05-21, 16:53   Link #928
xxangelchanxx
>:3

Send a message via MSN to xxangelchanxx
Quote:
I like sakura too xD if i have to list my fav female characters:

Motoko Kusanagi (ghost in the shell)
, Real Mayer <3 (Ergo Proxy), Saber (fate/stay night), Cz (scrapped princess), Shana (shakugan no shana), Lennert (Valkyrie profile), Shinku (rozen maiden), Astharoshe Asran (trinity blood), Sumeragi Lee Noriega (gundam 00) (the sexah woman, love her soooooo much), Soma Peries/Marie Perfacy (gundam 00), Misato (Neon genesis), Clare (claymore), Robin Sena (witch hunter robin), Sheryl (macross F)

can anyone spot similarities between those characters?

CC would have been in that list if I didnt stop watching code geass after first few episodes, can't stand the main lead at all.
You're list is epic >: 3
Old 2009-05-21, 20:16   Link #929
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Ah, the dreaded Ranka-looks-too-young-for-her-age-topic resurfaces.
And here I am joining in, lol.
Personally, the only beef I had with Ranka's character design when I first saw the series was how they were, IMHO, shoving a fruitcake on us (I mean loli body, flat-chested, green moving hair, fang, green cellphone mascot, cutesy nyan nyan dance, etc...) Thank God they didn't hire someone with one of those high-pitched loli voices... >.>
If she wasn't too much of a fruitcake, I prolly wouldn't mind if she looked 13-14 for her age. There's also the aspect of personality....coughMarySuecough...

Of course, Sheryl wasn't spared from me, too. XD
I mean when I saw her suspenders outfits. It was all tits and asses. XD
I labeled her as a prima donna bitch whore right away at the start of the series. :P

At the start, I supported Ranka (because if you were going to choose between a bitch and a sweet girl )...but then, I dunno...her personality just gradually grated on me. I won't go to the reasons as to why because I've posted it a lot of times in the Ranka thread. Then I find out that Sheryl isn't that a bitch, then that tender scene in episode 6...and the rest is as they say, history.
Old 2009-05-21, 21:14   Link #930
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
"Oh its orihime and her Ichigo kun jutsu all over again."
I laughed so much at that. It should be 'Kurosaki-kun', by the way.

I honestly have nothing against Ranka's design at all, with the exception of her hair, as I'd like to see long, glorious green mane. Alas, Kawamori-san doesn't seem to agree, oh well.
Old 2009-05-21, 21:37   Link #931
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
I laughed so much at that. It should be 'Kurosaki-kun', by the way.

I honestly have nothing against Ranka's design at all, with the exception of her hair, as I'd like to see long, glorious green mane. Alas, Kawamori-san doesn't seem to agree, oh well.
Actually, I remember seeing a fan made pic of Ranka having long hair but her long hair was actually drawn pretty good (meaning, without the ear-shaped sides) Longer hair does look good on her, if it's drawn right that is

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-21, 21:50   Link #932
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Actually, I remember seeing a fan made pic of Ranka having long hair but her long hair was actually drawn pretty good (meaning, without the ear-shaped sides) Longer hair does look good on her, if it's drawn right that is
Yes, it was I who posted that picture.

A more grown up, mature Ranka that does not arouse my suspicion and de-rouse my appetite.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-21, 22:05   Link #933
DeX-kun

Quote:
Yes, it was I who posted that picture.

A more grown up, mature Ranka that does not arouse my suspicion and de-rouse my appetite.

- Tak
Hmmm, do you mind posting the pic again on my visitor page? Because the picture I'm referring to was found somewhere else. That is if you still know where it is, otherwise never mind. I'm just curious to see if it's the same one that I saw.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-21, 22:33   Link #934
justavisitor

I actually just like Ranka the way it is (look and other things altogether)

for those who say Ranka looks too young, just take a look at my avatar, she has a very mature look right there!!

Ranka can be drawn very beautifully in the series...if anything, I blame the inconsistent artwork..most of the time the character drawing is 70/100, sometimes the qualities are even lower, but when the staff draws it right, wow, a very beautiful looking Ranka appears in the tv screen
just my opinion
Old 2009-05-21, 22:47   Link #935
Tak

Quote:
for those who say Ranka looks too young, just take a look at my avatar, she has a very mature look right there!!
Uh... ... ...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-21, 22:54   Link #936
justavisitor

well, Tak, that was my opinion...but seriously tho, if you still think that look in my avatar looks way too young then I don't know how to convince you ...at least in my opinion, Ranka looks older than characters in kanon and clannad...
Old 2009-05-21, 23:02   Link #937
Tak

Quote:
Ranka looks older than characters in kanon and clannad...
Uh... ... ... x2

You know, your avatar shows her with a washboard... its not exactly convincing. On the other hand, Clannad characters have... er... bust. Of course it also helps tremendously that they act as if they got a pair.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-21, 23:08   Link #938
justavisitor

I thought i said her look lol

so if you see a "washboard" in any anime, or well, real life, you will treat her as a loli regardless of her age??

you are quite dangerous indeed XD
Old 2009-05-21, 23:10   Link #939
Tak

Quote:
so if you see a "washboard" in any anime, or well, real life, you will treat her as a loli regardless of her age??

you are quite dangerous indeed XD
Hi, I think you just failed reading comprehension. Please try again.

And don't drag other series in because you can't convince a majority of us. Thats just pathetic.

- Tak (but yes, I am dangerous...)

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-21 at 23:30.
Old 2009-05-21, 23:33   Link #940
DeX-kun

Quote:
Hi, I think you just failed reading comprehension. Please try again.

And don't drag other series in because you can't convince a majority of us. Thats just pathetic.

- Tak (but yes, I am dangerous...)
Tak likes big...um, melons? Well either way, I don't mind size so much as long as there is something Although in that pic she looks like she's flat, she's really not

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite