AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-24, 02:13   Link #161
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariko View Post
The lyrics for Brave Song seem to suggest a possible (sad) ending for this series. Foreshadowing anyone?
We kinda discussed about that on IRC (that the lyrics suggests the possible ending). It's Maeda Jun, so I don't think it will be a sad ending. Bittersweet at worst.
Old 2010-05-24, 04:11   Link #162
Equidistant

Just looking at the lyrics it seems like the ED fits Yuri's character and the OP fits Tenshi's.
Old 2010-05-24, 08:27   Link #163
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
I believe the "all" should include "Tori no Uta", but how about "Natsukage" (vocal version), "Light colors", "will", or even TV CLANNAD AS OP "Toki wo Kizamu Uta"? To be honest, to me, "My Soul, Your Beats!" ranks pretty low comparing to those songs.

As for Tada Aoi, there is a good comparison. Listen to GUNSLINGER GIRL -IL TEATRINO- ED "doll", there are versions of both Lia and Tada Aoi. I have to say, both have their merits. By the way, that song was also written by Maeda Jun.
I also enjoy those songs a lot but I don't really know why but My Soul, Your Beats just clicked. At first I was a bit put back by the song but it really grew on me, I really enjoy it. It's all a matter of tastes anyways and even those change over time
Old 2010-05-24, 15:46   Link #164
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

hmm, the slightly syncopated guitar strums at around 1:30 in My Soul, Your beats gives a great effect. especially since each ear gets its own line.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-24, 21:27   Link #165
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

While My Soul, Your Beats! sounded good, it fell a bit short as the lyrics aren't there as with the other openings that Lia performed such as Tori no Uta, Light colors (still remains my #1 favorite) and Toki wo Kizamu Uta. It's the composition that might be at fault, but still remains a good listen.

Honestly, it took a few listens of Brave Song to make it click with me. Now I like it because it has the emotional value that was present in some of the songs from Key I listen to. Pretty close to the feel of Chiisana Tenohira. A feeling of heartwarming...
Old 2010-05-25, 11:11   Link #166
Regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
As expected, the ED "Brave Song" is much preferred. The lyrics is also very interesting. Basically, the whole song is about how the singer keeps walking forward by herself, seemingly being strong (in heart), sniffing at all kinds of reasons why she shouldn't do so, but when it comes to the last 3 lines:

"いつかみんなと過ごした日々も忘れてどこかで生きてるよ
その時はもう強くなんかないよ
普通の女の子の弱さで涙を零すよ"

"Someday I will be living somewhere, with the memories of days spent with everyone left behind
At that time I won't be strong anymore
I will just be sobbing like a weak normal girl"

That reminds me of "hope", the title background music of Tomoyo After (also written by Maeda Jun), except that bgm sounded opposite to the title right from the beginning, while in this one, the protagonist does try to pretend to be strong through the majority of the song, only spilling her true feelings at the very end. Marvellous song, just marvellous. As much as I hate to translate lyrics, I'm quite tempted to do so for this song.
Did you translate that? Its so beautiful! I hope you'll continue translating, this amazing song deserves an amazing translation
Old 2010-05-25, 18:38   Link #167
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I also enjoy those songs a lot but I don't really know why but My Soul, Your Beats just clicked. At first I was a bit put back by the song but it really grew on me, I really enjoy it. It's all a matter of tastes anyways and even those change over time
Ah, I see. Maybe I just got spoiled by Maeda Jun. For a random song, it's pretty ok, but for a song from him, I'd expect better. I do enjoy the first 12 seconds of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regret View Post
Did you translate that? Its so beautiful! I hope you'll continue translating, this amazing song deserves an amazing translation
Yes, I did. The reason I dislike translating lyrics is because more than often it's hard to translate it into a sensible different language that has a huge culture difference. For the case of "Brave Song", it's not quite so, but still, trying to retain the meaning as much as possible while not sounding too literal hence weird is a challenging task, especially for someone lazy like me. Honya already did a full literal translation though, so I will consider it only if mine is still desired.
Old 2010-05-26, 22:40   Link #168
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

I love the ED lyrics so much that I did end up translating the whole thing. Click me to view.

A few notes on the translation based on the original terms used and my feeling/image/understanding of the song:

1. In 1st line of the first verse, I used "looked back" instead of something like "turned around" to put across the point that the singer really wanted to turn back and look at everyone (again);
2. In last line of the first verse, "I won't show my tears" implies it's not that she doesn't feel like crying; she just doesn't want to show it. Technically it doesn't matter anyway even if she does since she was "walking alone", but she's mainly doing it for herself, to prove that she's strong and fighting (as stated in previous lines);
3. In 2nd line of the third verse, "nani ka attakke" is like "Was there something?" I put "What was that?" to facilitate the flow to next line.
Old 2010-05-27, 01:27   Link #169
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Reading the lyrics for the song, makes it feel even more emotional, and makes me like it more. Really the song is really has grown on me since the series started.
MAL
Old 2010-05-27, 21:50   Link #170
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Full version of "My Soul Your Beats" is pretty awesome, and the 2nd half is quite difference. Lyrics are interesting too.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-27, 23:13   Link #171
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Yet another translation of the OP/ED songs. On the more literal side.

Spoiler for My Soul, Your Beats!:

Spoiler for Brave Song:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2010-05-28, 06:20   Link #172
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Just looking at the lyrics it seems like the ED fits Yuri's character and the OP fits Tenshi's.
That seems to be the take of most people, but when I was rewatching some of the episodes earlier, I noticed something: in the OP lyrics, it mentions the singer tightens up (her) necktie. Tenshi wears a ribbon, while Yuri is the one who wears a necktie. Besides, in episode 6, Otonashi realized that Tenshi's friends all disappeared one after another, and therefore she ended up alone. There was even a scene of her walking alone at the end of his realization. And didn't Tenshi appear to be a strong-willed girl at the beginning, but starting to show her emotions in later episodes, little by little? Well, consider the following lines from the ED lyrics:

"I have always walked alone. When I looked back, everyone was faraway"

When she said this the first time...

"Everyone will be alone someday, living on in memories only"

She then said:

"I fight so that I will be able to love and laugh despite of the loneliness"

But after next time she said this...

"Everyone will be alone someday, living on in memories only
At that time I won't be strong anymore
I will just be sobbing like a weak ordinary girl"

I can't help but think the ED lyrics describe Tenshi. Anyone else agrees?
Old 2010-05-28, 09:08   Link #173
zette

Yeah there are indeed varying opinions on who the OP/ED are meant to describe, but I personally subscribe to the opinion that the OP describes Yuri while the ED describes Kanade, for reasons pointed out by guuchan in the above post.

As for the songs themselves, I really cannot decide which I like more as they're both wonderful in their own right. Lia is awesome as usual in My Soul, Your Beats! but I also like the whole melancholic feel of Brave Song.

Also, I'd just like to thank the people here who have taken the effort to translate the lyrics; every translation, while different, is useful, and very much appreciated by those of us who don't understand Japanese.
Old 2010-05-29, 06:33   Link #174
Ooyama

Does anyone know the name of the ost that plays in episode 8 when the Battlefront members keep sacrificing themselves? I really hope that ost will be released.
Old 2010-05-29, 06:57   Link #175
Westlo
Lets be reality

No one knows the names of those tracks because the OST hasn't been released yet.
Old 2010-05-30, 16:34   Link #176
Mikoto Misaka
Made in Japan

I like the backgroud music used in the scene that Otonashi wakes up from his retrospection and begins to talk with Kanade in Episode 9
I watched the scene again and again, and the beautiful song moved me each time.

Isn't the song used in other episodes? I feel that this is the first time that I listen to it.

Last edited by Mikoto Misaka; 2010-05-30 at 16:57.
Old 2010-06-02, 06:38   Link #177
BryanW

Please subscribe me @ YT for more ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiHCgNgh78c

Old 2010-06-04, 16:23   Link #178
Daydreamer Rumi-chan
is perfectly unique 100%!

Both the OP and ED are amazing. But I just have to say, if the full version of Brave Song plays in the last episode, that would be perfect. I think.
Old 2010-06-04, 23:26   Link #179
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer Rumi-chan View Post
Both the OP and ED are amazing. But I just have to say, if the full version of Brave Song plays in the last episode, that would be perfect. I think.
That would imply Tenshi ending up all by herself again, so I sure hope not.
Old 2010-06-05, 02:34   Link #180
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I want the full, and instrumental versions of Shine Days now ; the version used in episode 10 was great.

Edit: They better make an instrumental version of it D:.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-06-05 at 11:57.
Closed Thread