AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-16, 03:57   Link #81
Ash Masaki

Ok Al's voice wasn't that bad...

Really what bothers me the most is being cut off right in the middle of the series. Waiting to see the rest is going to be like slowly driving razor blades under my finger nails.
Old 2004-05-16, 04:18   Link #82
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

For as much as I'm against dubbing, I know I'm going to end up watching every episode in English

I'm fairly forgiving, who knows, maybe we'll be in for a surprising treat.
Old 2004-05-16, 04:26   Link #83
Iijyanaika

Send a message via AIM to Iijyanaika
funimation is a horrible company it should burn down!

blah blah blah, who cares if people are whinning about it, i buy region 1,2, and 3 dvds, but my japanese still isn't at fluent capabilities, but when watching Fruits Basket *funimation* I was soo pissed, not at the dubbing, cause listening to dubbed american voices is like listening to someone vomitting or someone who has dysentery, it's because of the translators, i'm sorry, but when someone says *subarashii* and no where in the sentence is the word *wonderful* in their, how much more stupid can you get. Don't reinterrpret what you think should be said, translate it for what it is. Morons.

Haha, this is the first time posting a complaint here, but i felt it was necessary since i really enjoy FMA and the wonderful people who translate. But i won't have to worry about subbing in a few months, soooo, screw funimation for the complete crap they are! All agree, yay, those who disagree, bie shuo le and choogalae!

Old 2004-05-16, 10:50   Link #84
Riese
Brutal Killer Math Logic

Send a message via ICQ to Riese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
English Al is so prepubescent is scary.
(
This makes perfect sense:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-17, 22:52   Link #85
Tezuka_Zone

I viewed the trailers today. I was very pleased that they are keeping the intro. Unfortunately that's all I'm happy with. It sounds like Al and Ed are going to sound like they're from Texas or something. I hope everyone doesn't sound like that when it comes out. The only thing they can do to salvage some integrity for this anime is to leave everything else as is. I know they aren't going to do that because it's going to end up on cartoon network. It's kind of sad but that's how these things go. I'll definitely be looking forward to the DVD releases.
Old 2004-05-18, 04:04   Link #86
Drake007

You`re all lucky guys over there. Gettin a series which i wanna see here in germany. Which will be in about 3 to 4 years I think.

I think i need a satellite antenna with about 3 metres to get some american stations on my TV.

Good luck for this series and i really hope that those DVDs would be uncut/unedited in some awesome quality.
Old 2004-05-18, 17:02   Link #87
GrapeSoda

bleh i had a little bit of hope for the dubbing but now its all smashed into pieces by al and the guy from the 2nd trailer's voices.
Old 2004-05-19, 00:27   Link #88
Sledeau

I really don't mind that Al's voice sounds prepubescent, but I agree using a child for the voice actor will probably limit how much emotion can be put into this.
Old 2004-05-19, 03:43   Link #89
Hunter Nin.

Just a quick question, now that it's licensed does this mean that in order to watch ep 32 i'll have to wait for cartoon network to catch up... and even then i'll have to watch it in english and not japanese (which would preferable)? Oh man, i see tough times ahead... tough times i tell ya...
Old 2004-05-19, 05:12   Link #90
koreanbboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iijyanaika

blah blah blah, who cares if people are whinning about it, i buy region 1,2, and 3 dvds, but my japanese still isn't at fluent capabilities, but when watching Fruits Basket *funimation* I was soo pissed, not at the dubbing, cause listening to dubbed american voices is like listening to someone vomitting or someone who has dysentery, it's because of the translators, i'm sorry, but when someone says *subarashii* and no where in the sentence is the word *wonderful* in their, how much more stupid can you get. Don't reinterrpret what you think should be said, translate it for what it is. Morons.

Haha, this is the first time posting a complaint here, but i felt it was necessary since i really enjoy FMA and the wonderful people who translate. But i won't have to worry about subbing in a few months, soooo, screw funimation for the complete crap they are! All agree, yay, those who disagree, bie shuo le and choogalae!

I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU MAN!!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

THE VOICE OF THE YOUNG ED in the AMerican Version... ARGHGHGAH~!!! MAKES ME WANNA THROW UP!!!

BURN CARTOON NETWORK!!! BURN!!!

BTW.. do you guys think that Cartoon Network knows about how "we" hate it when they dub stuff?

im just curious.. do you think they know about our hatred toward dubbing series?

are they completely oblivious to this, and are they just doing it anyways, wanting to make some $$$???

just curious...
Old 2004-05-19, 05:47   Link #91
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanbboy

THE VOICE OF THE YOUNG ED in the AMerican Version... ARGHGHGAH~!!! MAKES ME WANNA THROW UP!!!

BTW.. do you guys think that Cartoon Network knows about how "we" hate it when they dub stuff?

im just curious.. do you think they know about our hatred toward dubbing series?

are they completely oblivious to this, and are they just doing it anyways, wanting to make some $$$???

just curious...
Quit your bitching, and please do not envoke your sort of narutardism towards the fact about FUNimation's licensing. Get over it, it's old news now. Kr0ean.
Old 2004-05-19, 05:59   Link #92
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanbboy

just curious...
As much as I dislike the idea of subbed version of FMA, I certainly do not wish any ill feeling toward CN or FUNimation. Why? Because between them these two companies have brought quality anime to the living rooms of the west, creating the millions of anime fans and followers.

These companies do not deserve this kind of abuse. It's wrong and it's immature.

Of course they want to make money, they're businesses and as businesses their revenue is reliant on the success or failure of their latest acquisition. This doesn't make them faceless evil corporations, it makes them smart businesses in a niche market which they have helped to build.

As big as our fansub community is, it is only a small fraction of the viewing public that deserve to see FMA. Come October, FMA will be seen by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of new and eager anime viewers each week - a large percentage of which will buy the dvds or watch the original subtitled versions.

A small percentage of those will realise just how much better the original Japanese language version is and will never watch dubbed versions of any anime again. These people will be the die hard anime fans of the future, people like you and I.

The way I see it that can only be a good thing.

Sonhex
Old 2004-05-19, 17:33   Link #93
Suikun

I really didn't have a problem with it - I think Al's voice suited his appearance and did a decent job of conveying his character. It was a very short clip, so I'm having a difficult job judging it... but then, nobody here should have an easy time of judging whether something is good or bad from that trailer alone, anyway.

You people who are complaining need to realize something - if Al sounds like "your average American boy" or the narrator sounds like everyother narrator with the standard, scratchy voice, then guess what?

FUNimation has done their job damn well.

The entire point of an English dub is to adapt and localize a story into something that a wide range of audiences who speak English can understand. This means making the character who sounds like a typical Japanese boy in the Japanese version sound like a typical American boy in the English version. This means taking the narrator and changing his voice into what most every American is used to hearing whenever there is a narration. This is how something foreign becomes acceptable to the uncultured, close-minded people of this country. And once this has been acheived, FUNimation has done exactly what they've set out to do by dubbing it. They don't dub something into English for the fans because no matter how close to the Japanese version an English dub is, it is still, by it's very nature, not going to be the original, but rather a localization of the original. Therefore, anyone concerned with faithfulness to the original is going to be put off by any English dub, and therefore making a dub for fans is... well, just stupid. That's not why dubs exist - they exist to localize foreign material into something that the native people will accept.

Having said that, I think, from the perspective of a typical American, that this dub is going to be pretty damn good. I don't have much to judge by, but from what I've heard, nothing didn't fit.

The fan in me knows that I'll probably never watch any more of the English dub than what I saw in that trailer - come January 2005, I'll be buying those DVDs and turning the subtitled version on immediately, never stopping to watch the Cartoon Network broadcast. Why? Because I'm a fan and I don't care to see a localization of something that's already perfectly acceptable in it's original form. But, putting myself into the mindset of a typical, average, Hollywood-movie loving American, I see nothing wrong or out of place with what I've seen. That's how I judge English dubs because it is THE ONLY FAIR WAY to judge English dubs.

You wouldn't expect someone who has a hatred of dogs to have a valuable or just opinion about the greatness of dogs in a dog show, would you? So why would a fan such as myself have an opinion that's at all valid if I'm of the "dub hating" mindset when the dub is meant for those of the "average American" mindset?
Old 2004-05-19, 20:14   Link #94
DEEBEE_

So many words to describe both of those trailers and FUNimations license for it to aire on Cartoon FAGwork...

It's horrible, ENGLISH DUBS, are horrible. I know for a fact I'll be buying the DVDs but not to support FUNimation, but to see the series in Japanese VAs.

Good luck on being able to withstand stupid english dubs on CN.
Old 2004-05-19, 22:21   Link #95
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Its not like I expected anything good from Funimation but I was truly disgusted with Al's voice and when the guy in the 2nd clip said "coming to CN in October"...sigh...why Funimation....WHY...why couldnt it be ADV..then I would have bought the entire DVD set...

Suikun- you must understand that what these fans want is not a "localization" of FMA, but the true Japanese nature of the anime. I wont go too much into this as i do not have time but my theory is, Disney movies sound whack in Japanese and Japanese anime sound whack in English and dats that end of story.
Old 2004-05-20, 01:52   Link #96
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I think it's just the dialect and style of the Japanese language that allows for almost perfect expression of emotion that the VAs wish to portray, and just the way japanese people talk in general already sounds far less forced especially when acting. They will never be surpassed in terms of quality of voice actors. Like if I was ever frightened about my brother being randomly attacked by a ferocious gorilla, it would sound really stupid of me to yell BROTHER!!!! GASP!!!! Nii-san just sounds so much better
Old 2004-05-20, 08:51   Link #97
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Its not like I expected anything good from Funimation but I was truly disgusted with Al's voice and when the guy in the 2nd clip said "coming to CN in October"...sigh...why Funimation....WHY...why couldnt it be ADV..then I would have bought the entire DVD set...

Suikun- you must understand that what these fans want is not a "localization" of FMA, but the true Japanese nature of the anime. I wont go too much into this as i do not have time but my theory is, Disney movies sound whack in Japanese and Japanese anime sound whack in English and dats that end of story.
Exactly - which is why nobody here should be watching, complaining about, or passing any real judgment on this or any dub because it's not what we want - we all clearly want the real deal, which is something an English dub, no matter how good it is, cannot give us.

That's why I said the only people here who should even consider criticizing the dub are those who can completely throw their otakuism out the window while watching it, and judge soley from the mindset of the average American who isn't an anime fan in the sense that we are. That's what my little review was based on. I felt, trying to put myself in a position of someone who's never seen the show and isn't at all familiar with subtitled anime, that nothing so far in the English dub was out of place and everything fit what you would expect from an American show - thus FUNimation has done their job very well.

The only thing that has me pissed right now is how all the dubbies out there who likely haven't even heard of FMA get to start seeing this on TV (for free, basically) in just a few months, meanwhile the fans like myself who have been following this for a while now have to wait until next year before we even get to start seeing the series - let alone catch up to where we were. I have no problems buying the DVDs and supporting it, but why can't FUNimation at least do something for the fans by releasing the DVDs at least around the same time that the broadcast starts (if not much earlier).
Old 2004-05-20, 09:13   Link #98
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
No, a dub should be judged by those who watch dubs regularly, like the people on "The English Track" forum at animeondvd.com. I don't browse there cause I don't watch dubs. I don't hate 'em or anything (in fact I hope they're accurate to the story for my friends that DO watch dubs) but I simply don't listen to them.

The average fansub downloading twit on this board who swears up and down that dubs are a "curse" and are horrible "just because they're not Japanese, thus unfaithful to the show" can't speak at all, since their bias is more likely because of the language (whether or not they understand it without subs) and loss of "elitism" they feel comes with watching it in a language that they and others understand inherently. It's the whole "new toy" thing, you don't feel special when other people have the same toys.

Visit the forum mentioned above once the show starts airing to get some REAL opinions on the FMA dub. All you'll get here is grousing and whining from fanboys.

Quote:
The only thing that has me pissed right now is how all the dubbies out there who likely haven't even heard of FMA get to start seeing this on TV (for free, basically) in just a few months, meanwhile the fans like myself who have been following this for a while now have to wait until next year before we even get to start seeing the series - let alone catch up to where we were.
Wah. Damn those dubbies getting stuff on TV! This is a pointless complaint, really. You're no more a fan than they are just cause you watched it as a fansub.

Quote:
I have no problems buying the DVDs and supporting it, but why can't FUNimation at least do something for the fans by releasing the DVDs at least around the same time that the broadcast starts (if not much earlier).
Because by releasing the DVDs after the show has started on CN, they get a MUCH larger audience out there looking for them. They can also advertise it during the show and sell many more. If they do this, the discs may very well end up cheaper. If they rushed ahead, they would have stuff out on the shelves for too long, and earlier discs would be cycled off the shelves with fans left searching for it.

Just noticed this:

Quote:
They do what they need to. They're not 4kids, butchering series and never releasing an unedited, subtitled version.

Quote:
but my japanese still isn't at fluent capabilities ... it's because of the translators, i'm sorry, but when someone says *subarashii* and no where in the sentence is the word *wonderful* in there, how much more stupid can you get. Don't reinterrpret what you think should be said, translate it for what it is. Morons.
So what is it?

COURTESY OF EDICT, and my own experience:

素晴らしい 【すばらしい】 [subarashii] (adj) wonderful, splendid, magnificent, (P)

So yeah, FUNimation got it right.
Old 2004-05-21, 01:55   Link #99
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Holy shit... I didn't want to believe that Al's voice could possibly be as gay as everyone described it but, its worse. Well I guess I shouldn't care too much since I never watch dubbing in the first place but it does suck big time.
Old 2004-05-21, 06:34   Link #100
Umbrae
Generic Human

Did they change the trailer? When I go and watch it, there is no voice but the narrator.

although it did say it would be airing on Cartoon network october 2004.

Personaly for a show that will be on cartoon network it will have to be dubed. case closed. CN does not play any thing that is subtitled that I know of, and I watch it almost every night (3 people watch anime on the night shift where I work ). Now what concerns me is the DVD release. As long as the DVD has a sub titled track with the origonal audio (preferably no edits as well) I am a happy customer.

Also thier is still a subing group that is doing this show if you belive in downloading licensed anime. I myself plan to purchase the DVDs when they are released just because I love this series. Of course assuming thier is a sub track, and it is not terribly edited. Same with Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex. GItS:SAC is my favorite animation of all time, FMA quickly moved to #2. I want to keep watching the show (subed first) all the way through, then start showin it to my friends, who usualy prefer a dubed track. (azamunga Daiho did not go over well when they watched the dubed, although I can kind of see why. Osaka drive my nuts in the dub)
Funmation I belive has been trying to get a bolder audiance as of late. This could be one of the first shows they have picked up with intenet to grab the attention of the older crowd that is much more critical of what happens to shows.
Closed Thread