AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-06-11, 20:59   Link #1
Yakult

Am I the only one that gets sad?

It's kind of weird but whenever I watch anime, I end up becoming all emotional and sad. I don't know why but I think the main reason is that somehow I get a bit emotionally attached with the characters and then sooner or later I figure out that the series will eventually come to an end so I stop watching it altogether. For example, I'm currently watching Fate/Stay Night and I've become totally attached to Saber. Whenever she strikes a blow or takes one, sometimes I can kind of feel it in my mind? In addition, I'm only on the 4th episode yet I'm already sad that the series will come to an end soon. I have all these imaginations as to how the series will end and the fact that it will end in 24 episodes makes me real gloomy It's even worse because the fact that I hate series endings that I can never get myself to finish one! I stopped watching Fruits Basket and a few other animes two episodes before their finales. Why can't they make the good anime shows longer and the crappy ones shorter? Does anyone get the same feeling? I kind of feel weird because of the fact that I get, as some people would say, all emotional over "a cartoon show". However, I've never in my life gotten gloomy over American television sitcoms, dramas, or cartoons. It seems that I only feel this way when I watch anime.
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:28   Link #2
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

Weird? I doubt it. I'm sure that creators are pleased that their audience has an emotional reaction to their stories. There are stories that I just can't be happy while watching/reading and others that make me feel like I'm on top of the world. I swear there's a scene in Higurashi that enrages me so bad that I want to jump into the picture a wail on somebody.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 23:29   Link #3
overthere!

Send a message via AIM to overthere! Send a message via MSN to overthere! Send a message via Yahoo to overthere!
Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean you can't get emotional over it. I get emotional over anime just like I'd get emotional over a drama or an episode of heroes.

Quote:
Why can't they make the good anime shows longer and the crappy ones shorter?
I feel the same way about some shows (*cough* Gundam Seed). However, sometimes it's best to let the show just end. If not, the show might go downhill and lose its credibility.
overthere! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 23:55   Link #4
Yakult

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthere! View Post
Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean you can't get emotional over it. I get emotional over anime just like I'd get emotional over a drama or an episode of heroes.

I feel the same way about some shows (*cough* Gundam Seed). However, sometimes it's best to let the show just end. If not, the show might go downhill and lose its credibility.
I guess lengthening it would indeed make it lose its credibility. But still, I wish it would be a wee-bit longer Ugh I was watching Silent Hill on TV just now and during the entire movie (including the ripping of skin scene by the triangle-head guy) all I could think was about Fate/Stay Night and Saber

I think it was a bad idea that I YouTube/Veoh'ed Fate/Stay Night as well as Lucky Star. Last summer, I got into this state where I would watch anime non-stop which in turn made me pretty anti-social. I got extremely depressed by animes such as Kiminozo and Iriya No Sora UFO No Natsu. Worse than regular animes are OVA's! When they're really good it impacts me even harder than regular series

Something that extremely bothers me however is that at times, I don't know what makes me feel so emotional. I can pretty much see that anime makes me feel different, but I'm not sure what it exactly is that makes me feel this way. Is it the female heroine? If so, I feel like such a dork :\ It makes me feel extremely lame but I have to admit that I feel more sympathetic and passionate for female heroines such as Saber. Not sure if it's because I'm a male viewer or if female viewers also feel the same way heightened emotions towards female characters?
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 00:09   Link #5
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I have a few series that bring a tear to my eye for various reasons, though not always because they're sad. Sometimes the sheer awesomeness of certain events is overwhelming. ^^;;

I stopped trying to predict how series will end a long time ago, though. Due to the sheer amount of stuff I watch, it's often impossible. Sometimes you think some chars will live happily ever after, but they're suddenly killed off. On the other side of the coin, you're expecting them to die, but they live on.

That's one of the main reasons I love anime, and Japanese cinema and stories in general. Not all happily ending Hollywood tripe. People die. It's not by any means uncommon for major characters to be killed off off unexpectedly, when you're certain they're gonna go on for ages yet.

Really, you shouldn't get so caught up in how a series is going to end while you're watching it. Take it one episode at a time and enjoy it. There are quite a few stories that end very well in their allotted episode count. There are others that end abruptly, but continue on in manga if you care to get in to that side.

But all in all, it's not unusual to be emotionally touched by a good story. It's a sign of skilled writing (and also excellent storyboarding/directing for conversions from manga/novels/games.) so it's a bit silly to stop watching a series because of how you think it may end, or because you're caught up in some single episode and can't fathom how it can continue on.

Been more than a few events in series where I've thought, "Well, how the hell are they gonna fix that?" but they almost always do. There has been a few flops where they have ended very badly, but they're quite rare.

Personally, I think Fate/Stay Night ended quite well. I watched the entire series in one sitting, as it's one I somehow missed while it was airing and I got it after it was complete. But after watching the first three episodes, I couldn't stop. Had to finish the entire series that day. Great story, excellent music and voice casting. Gorgeous animation. All added up to be a riveting series. So I can understand how such can have an effect on you, but to get gloomy over the fact the series is only 24 episodes long is a bit... daft. Just watch and enjoy it. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 00:41   Link #6
Jordus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
It's kind of weird but whenever I watch anime, I end up becoming all emotional and sad. I don't know why but I think the main reason is that somehow I get a bit emotionally attached with the characters and then sooner or later I figure out that the series will eventually come to an end so I stop watching it altogether. For example, I'm currently watching Fate/Stay Night and I've become totally attached to Saber. Whenever she strikes a blow or takes one, sometimes I can kind of feel it in my mind? In addition, I'm only on the 4th episode yet I'm already sad that the series will come to an end soon. I have all these imaginations as to how the series will end and the fact that it will end in 24 episodes makes me real gloomy It's even worse because the fact that I hate series endings that I can never get myself to finish one! I stopped watching Fruits Basket and a few other animes two episodes before their finales. Why can't they make the good anime shows longer and the crappy ones shorter? Does anyone get the same feeling? I kind of feel weird because of the fact that I get, as some people would say, all emotional over "a cartoon show". However, I've never in my life gotten gloomy over American television sitcoms, dramas, or cartoons. It seems that I only feel this way when I watch anime.
Heck no. I do it all the time. I cry when watching naruto. When watching that anime I get so freakin emotional its insane......Now some of you may make fun of me because its naruto.....but it really is one hell of an anime.....NARUTO 4EVER!!!
Old 2007-06-12, 00:43   Link #7
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well i do feel sad for some anime when they ends. But it doesn't included for anime which have a "stories". I just feel sad when "there's nothing happen but happy" anime comes to an end. For example, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. I don't really sure either but when the i watch the last episode and see the ending i just feel kinda sad. But pleased.

Anyway, i think this is better rather than prolonging the story only for that reason. You know, anything started has to be ended...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 03:26   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its storytelling..... (I get so tired of the "its just a cartoon" bullcrap)

A good story might bring a tear to your eye whether its a $300 million live-action trilogy of movies or a guy sitting at a campfire telliing tall tales.
Animated drawings can create particularly compelling stories since they aren't constrained by mundane reality (and are a hell of a lot cheaper than a Beowulf cluster of CGI-rendering chaos).

Good stories *should* make you sad (or happy).... or at least bittersweet.

Otherwise, I'd have to ask - why watch/listen to something that doesn't move you.
Old 2007-06-12, 05:01   Link #9
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
Yeah I know how you feel, it kind of leaves you lusting for more, wondering what will happen afterwards, it kind of wrecks you. I was like that after watching Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid I spent hours on end trying to find the translated novels, which I did find, but they arn't all translated so Im kind of dying inside waiting for the next part to come out

What it is though is story telling. I find that anime have the best stories of any video media, better then Drama shows and movies etc, they are also done better story wise. It is kind of why I dont watch much TV at all and mainly stick to anime, cause of the better stories and characters you can kind of relate to in some form or another.
krysinello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 05:33   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
If it was intentional, then they're good. If not, you're just emotional.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 08:22   Link #11
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

It really makes me sad reading this topic.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 09:23   Link #12
Ibuki

Quote:
For example, I'm currently watching Fate/Stay Night and I've become totally attached to Saber. Whenever she strikes a blow or takes one, sometimes I can kind of feel it in my mind? In addition, I'm only on the 4th episode yet I'm already sad that the series will come to an end soon. I have all these imaginations as to how the series will end and the fact that it will end in 24 episodes makes me real gloomy

Not gonna spoil it for you but all I gotta say to you is "Prepare yourself"
Ibuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 11:05   Link #13
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Quote:
I think it was a bad idea that I YouTube/Veoh'ed Fate/Stay Night as well as Lucky Star. Last summer, I got into this state where I would watch anime non-stop which in turn made me pretty anti-social.
Omg I know excactly what you mean! I was like that with, yes you guessed it, Elfen Lied for a while. Also I was desperately searching the internet for a while for a second series.

But whenever I feel really really sad (like now) listening to Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd helps. Also sharing it with other people helps too.... which is why I wrote a review for Elfen Lied when I first joined.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 11:29   Link #14
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its storytelling..... (I get so tired of the "its just a cartoon" bullcrap)
/agree
american cartoons is just cartoons...anime is life!

it quite amazing how sometimes you are able to draw similarities from anime into real life...and that make it all the more emotional to see characters who you are attached to saying goodbye...i mean i was rewatching air today and after the first ep i remember all the past emotions that had flowed into me the first time round...its great and brings a tear to my eyes knowing how its going to end already ;_;

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 11:36   Link #15
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

I have had similar experiences in getting all emotional while watching a certain anime series. That series is called Kimi ga Nozoumu Eien. A really emotional series because of how a 3 friends who were really best friends got involved in a love triangle which results in the destruction of their friendship. I shed a few tears when the main character dumped Haruka because he could not wait for her to wake up from the accident. And also, the ending did not leave me with a happy face.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 15:55   Link #16
Manifold

I became very emotionally attached to Clare and Raki in Claymore. In some scenes, especially between Teresa and Clare.. I could feel myself crying inside.

Whilst I was watching Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid, I was having some relationship problems with a girl, and the relational (Chidori's soliloquys, in particular) dynamic between Chidori and Sousuke struck a particular strong note within me.

In varying degrees, most of the anime I have watched have twinged something emotional within me, especially Studio Ghibli's movies, with their unusual story lines.

I could go on with the series.

I have no shame in having these feelings towards something that is 'just drawn'. A friend of mine thinks that anime is for little kids. I don't agree with him at all. I'd oppose anyone saying that without watching a few Studio Ghibli films, or, say Bartender of Mushishi.

The lack of shame stems from my passion of reading books. Japanese animation is literally like an exciting visual novel for me. I have some books I can pick up and talk about, as if I were the character inside it It sometimes feels like I have mental scars from the trauma of the fictional characters in the books, and that I have learnt lessons and valuable advice from these books.

The same applies to watching anime, for me, but in a more intense visual way.
Manifold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 16:11   Link #17
DarkT
Banned

Yup, totally weird .

Meow, just kidding - what IS weird though is stopping to watch it just coz' you know it'll end - 's like, "it was nice while it lasted" and all that, ya know? .

I don't get sad on animes, neither do I cry on any...

>.>
<.<

(Men's laws prohibit me from admitting any of those ).
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 16:16   Link #18
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
/agree
american cartoons is just cartoons...anime is life!

it quite amazing how sometimes you are able to draw similarities from anime into real life...and that make it all the more emotional to see characters who you are attached to saying goodbye...i mean i was rewatching air today and after the first ep i remember all the past emotions that had flowed into me the first time round...its great and brings a tear to my eyes knowing how its going to end already ;_;
i gave up convincing my NA friends to watch anime long ago...i'm not trying to be racist here, but most (not ALL) white north americans see anime as "cartoon" and regard it as kid's TV, while some just rides on stupid critics opinion that anime are "nothing but sex and violence". Either way it leads to them reject anime before they even try watching it, missing out on all the wonders of anime...I myself am Chinese, but 90% of my friends are white, but only 3 of those watches anime, and wanting more!

Nowadays whenever they ask y i'm watching cartoon i just simply say "its an asian thing, u'll never get it nor do i wanna waste 30mins of my time explaining it to u."

EDIT: o ya, btw to answer OP, i do get emotional over anime, but not often. It requires a very compelling story to get to me, so far, these are the most memorable ones for me:

Fate/Stay Night (Reason is obvious to any that watched it)

Full Moon Wo Sagashite (Amazing character development and plot twist, and Full Moon (myco) is a wonderful singer, even if u dont watch the anime i suggest getting "Full Moon Wo Sagashite Final Live", yes its that good!)

Kanon 2006 (again reason is obvious to anyone who watched pass ep 11)

Elfen Lied (Despite the needless nudity and violence, the story itself is amazing)

Tsukihime (Same reason as FSN rly....damn u typemoon)

Chobits (Dunno how to explain it, this one just caught me)
Old 2007-06-12, 17:23   Link #19
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
i gave up convincing my NA friends to watch anime long ago...i'm not trying to be racist here, but most (not ALL) white north americans see anime as "cartoon" and regard it as kid's TV, while some just rides on stupid critics opinion that anime are "nothing but sex and violence". Either way it leads to them reject anime before they even try watching it, missing out on all the wonders of anime...I myself am Chinese, but 90% of my friends are white, but only 3 of those watches anime, and wanting more!

Nowadays whenever they ask y i'm watching cartoon i just simply say "its an asian thing, u'll never get it nor do i wanna waste 30mins of my time explaining it to u."
there has been a thread about this topic (which is burried deep down somewhere ) ~ but yea stereotyping is such a screwed up thing...i get so pissed when all my friends just class anime as hentai (like they know any other words)...everytime they use that word next to me im sure to blow a fuse...dam ignorant fools but i guess thats how most white people are (being chinese myself ) ~ but heck at least you have someone around you who knows the joys...im just stuck talking on the net

/offtopic

and talking about emotional...the first series that made me cry is called mahou sensei negima...and dam was it unexpecting

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 20:44   Link #20
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Hmmm....I guess we're all different, but no matter how much I am enjoying an anme show or movie, I cannot fathom not watching the end!!!! Some endings are good, some not so good, but if I start watching a show, I want to see how it ends, the resolution(or lack of) for characters...wrap it up and let it be, or prepare myself for a sequel...lol.
I think I've shed a tear once or twice, and iv'e seen some situations that I consider sad, that I feel bad for what happened, but not enough to cry. If it draws a tear then it's really done something...hehe.

I haven't gotten around to watching Kanon 2006 yet, maybe I should start soon..hehe.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote