Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-12-14, 09:13   Link #441
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
Yep, and it definitely shows, the anachronisms are everywhere. I mean, humanity has extensively colonized space, but they also worship Odin and talk about going to Valhalla. It's pretty weird watching Vinland Saga and then a sci-fi show like this and they're still talking about Valhalla.

Anyway, this was a nice final episode, and that post-credits scene definitely makes it look like the plan is to continue (I wish I could say I cared about the Terraist cult subplot though). Wonder how long they'll manage to keep going with this remake.
It's not really an anachronism. Or at least, it's not one explained by the fact it was written in the 80s.

Napoleon borrowed extensively from the Roman Empire. I guess Goldenbaum was a fan of Prussia and Norse mythology.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-14, 18:57   Link #442
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well, the famous Dune, by Frank Herbert, is even more extreme in that regard. A space faring civilization where a few noble houses hold all the power and religious belief is so predominant that computers and robots are universally banned because regarded as abominations.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 07:36   Link #443
4th Dimension

Even if you consider it atheistically, no matter how much humanity develops or how it learns it will never know EVERYTHING. There will always be unkowns and more importantly RANDOMness of life. So no matter the development level, there will be those who seek refuge from uncarigness of universe into the idea that there is some sort of higher power, that lives have meanings and there is ultimate justice.

Also any absolute monarch would like religion because of the one faith/one ruler, and because often then their absolute rule is justified as them having god granted right to govern.
Then again the last actual Emperor seemed to have a more Roman outlook that the best of his general should be the one to inherit.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 07:47   Link #444
AntonKutovoi

I do admit, there's something hilarious about Christianity being dead religion, with Norse mythology becoming a main religion for a half of the universe.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 15:18   Link #445
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It seems more like a belief than a religion, subtle but relevant difference in my opinion. I haven't quite seen a priest, or any religious building to suggest a religion actually exists.

BTW, did they actually mention Odin as a deity? They sure mentioned Valhalla a lot, but the actual deity Odin?

I know Odin is the name of the capital planet of the Galactic Empire. But that doesn't mean they worship Odin any more than we worship Jupiter and Mars.

Old 2022-03-18, 14:59   Link #446
AP24

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-anime/.183740

Should this thread be moved to Current Series? Discussion of second season was done in this thread.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-18, 19:42   Link #447
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I know what I'll be watching tomorrow!

Man, has it already been two years since the last season?
Old 2022-03-19, 03:07   Link #448
AntonKutovoi

I didn't realize just how much I missed this series.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 23:25   Link #449
Hata
時の異邦人

I don't know, while I like the CG of the new series, I think the old series ship design and music/BGM are still much better.
Old 2022-03-28, 06:41   Link #450
Dextro
He Without a Title

It's great having this back but it's been so long I'm forgetting some of the details of season 2 in particular (and I both watched and read the novels). I must be getting old

Anyway, OP is not quite the same banger as last season's Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by STARSHIP Binary Star. It's also just a slideshow of scenes, I find myself skipping it almost immediately.
Old 2022-03-28, 07:18   Link #451
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
I don't know, while I like the CG of the new series, I think the old series ship design and music/BGM are still much better.
I liked the new ships, but yeah, the rest was better. I'm still enjoying this remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It's great having this back but it's been so long I'm forgetting some of the details of season 2 in particular (and I both watched and read the novels). I must be getting old

Anyway, OP is not quite the same banger as last season's Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by STARSHIP Binary Star. It's also just a slideshow of scenes, I find myself skipping it almost immediately.
I'd say it's fairly normal not to remember details of something that aired two years ago. Having watched the old OVAs actually makes it more confusing because I can't remember if this or that event has already happened in the remake or not.

Didn't spot much differences in the first two episodes of the new season.
Old 2022-04-01, 03:55   Link #452
leongsh
Daijoubu!

The new opening and ending credits show up in this 3rd episode of the season. That would make it Episode 27 for those follow the numbering from the very start of Season 1.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 16:10   Link #453
Blaat

Part of me still expects Reuenthal to be voiced by Norio Wakamoto.
Old 2022-04-01, 18:29   Link #454
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Part of me still expects Reuenthal to be voiced by Norio Wakamoto.
Not me, because he looks nothing like the old Reuenthal. The voice wouldn't suit him at all.

Speaking of character design, Muller looks like an older Julian
I really wish they had simply modernized the OVAs' designs instead of revamping them.

I didn't remember the whole bit with Mittermeyer being tortured. Him trash talking Flegel and then destroying his nose was awesome.
Old 2022-04-08, 17:00   Link #455
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was wondering where they were going with that dog... turns out this episode was the origin story of Oberstein's famous dog!
Old 2022-04-09, 08:57   Link #456
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So Reinhard is moving into his "Otto von Bismarck phase." Do you suppose he'll introduce universal healthcare?

I only started watching this a month or so ago, and I have not read through this entire thread. One thing that bothers me is that all the tactics appear to be in 2D. Hell, there's even an old original Star Trek episode where Kirk defeats an opponent by moving in the vertical plane. All the battles I've seen in LOGH so far look like they're based on armored battlefield tactics on a flat plane.

Also, watching this in the current context, there are some pretty clear rhetorical parallels to the war in Ukraine.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2022-04-09 at 09:08.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 07:25   Link #457
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I only started watching this a month or so ago, and I have not read through this entire thread. One thing that bothers me is that all the tactics appear to be in 2D. Hell, there's even an old original Star Trek episode where Kirk defeats an opponent by moving in the vertical plane. All the battles I've seen in LOGH so far look like they're based on armored battlefield tactics on a flat plane.
Let's just say the battles aren't LoGH's forte. You watch it for the characters and the politics. And it has some really great political commentaries.
Old 2022-04-10, 13:43   Link #458
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
All the battles I've seen in LOGH so far look like they're based on armored battlefield tactics on a flat plane.
AFAIK the author takes inspiration from real battle records from pre world war I times and therefore what you get is basically a space version of what was fought in real life on plains.

That kind of warfare is already anachronistic for our times, you don't really have two large armies facing in an open field anymore, even air to air combat for the most part is just shooting missiles at each others from way beyond the range where you can see the enemy.

But that just comes with the premise of the whole story, after all even clothes, houses and the general lifestyle feels like something that comes from 1800 Prussia (for the Empire) and 1970 America (for the Galactic Empire).

It is really not believable if you think deep about it, but it's not supposed to.

Old 2022-04-10, 16:59   Link #459
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Crest of the Stars justified their 2d tactics in space: their hyperspace is actually a 2d plane.

But even in 2d, I don't know how Kircheis' trick of sailing into the enemy crossfire is a winning move.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-11, 13:44   Link #460
Blaat

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's from the second Star Trek movie, still fighting being on a 2D plane has always been a big flaw of the LotGH franchise and it's something you just have to accept and roll with it.