AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-08-10, 19:53   Link #81
ikaroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
Mew Mew Power makes me cry a river. :/ I don't like the anime or manga that much, but seriously... Rockbottom, 4K!ds/4Light whatever they call themselves.
If you think Mew Mew Power is bad, they almost called it Hollywood Mew Mew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Mew_Mew
ikaroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 19:23   Link #82
Snickripep
I like MUDKIPZ! :3

I'm not saying I speak Japanese, but I'm pretty sure Higurashi no Naku Koro ni translates into "When the Cicadas Cry" or "The Moment the Cicadas Cry".
So... when the U.S. licensed the show as When They Cry... the Higurashi fangirl inside of went "Wait... WUT?".
x_x
I mean... it could have been a lot worse (mourns for Karin > Chibi Vampire), but seriously... the cicadas are such an important theme throughout the series. How can you just call it When THEY Cry?

EDIT:
Orophin informed me that When They Cry has actually been used in the franchise from the very beginning. I thought that it was Geneon completely disregarding the translation. I apolgize.
Geneon, it's all good.

Last edited by Snickripep; 2009-09-18 at 14:45.
Snickripep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 23:09   Link #83
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickripep View Post
I'm not saying I speak Japanese, but I'm pretty sure Higurashi no Naku Koro ni translates into "When the Cicadas Cry" or "The Moment the Cicadas Cry".
So... when the U.S. licensed the show as When They Cry... the Higurashi fangirl inside of me threw up.
x_x
I mean... it could have been a lot worse (mourns for Karin > Chibi Vampire), but seriously... the cicadas are such an important theme throughout the series. How can you just call it When THEY Cry?
When They Cry has been used since the very beginning of the franchise. It's not something Geneon came up with.

Just look at the cover of the first Sound Novel which was released in 2002:
Spoiler for Onikakushi-hen cover:
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 01:12   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickripep View Post
So... when the U.S. licensed the show as When They Cry... the Higurashi fangirl inside of me threw up.
x_x
It pains me to even display "Chibi Vampire" on my shelves at home.... they might as well have named it "Bite Me" ... nothing chibi about Karin at all.
Old 2009-09-15, 15:24   Link #85
Snickripep
I like MUDKIPZ! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
When They Cry has been used since the very beginning of the franchise. It's not something Geneon came up with.

Just look at the cover of the first Sound Novel which was released in 2002:
Spoiler for Onikakushi-hen cover:

Oh shoot... O_O'
You're totally right.
I've seen that image before, but I thought that fans added the English text with When They Cry at the bottom after the anime was licensed.
Sorry for being ignorant.
Thanks for correcting me! At least now I know that the title has some real significance to the series.
Snickripep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:04   Link #86
velderia
Former NEET.

When I first saw the title for "Chibi Vampire" in a Barnes & Noble, I actually yelled "WHAT?!?!" by accident.
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 21:19   Link #87
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

About all the Rurouni Kenshin to Samurai X complaints in the American release, Samurai X is just the Trust & Betrayal/Reflection OVAs.

The anime series/manga is released as Rurouni Kenshin. Hell, when it aired the dub on Cartoon Network about 6 years ago, it was Rurouni Kenshin.

Edit: And it's the same with YuYu Hakusho. When the dub aired on TV, it was advertised as Yuyu Hakusho. And looking at the box right now for the Funimation complete 1st season, it says Yuyu Hakusho: Ghost Files.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-09-16 at 21:36.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 17:00   Link #88
revy07

Cowboy bebop everyone seems to like this ending but i feel like they should have explored the the villain of the story a lot more. I THINK his name was vicious or somehting but they would have been better had they explored him a bit more.
revy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 17:25   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by revy07 View Post
Cowboy bebop everyone seems to like this ending but i feel like they should have explored the the villain of the story a lot more. I THINK his name was vicious or somehting but they would have been better had they explored him a bit more.
o.O .... the subject is TITLES of anime/manga that were mangled in english or horribly chosen; not story endings.
Old 2009-09-18, 22:07   Link #90
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
When I first saw the title for "Chibi Vampire" in a Barnes & Noble, I actually yelled "WHAT?!?!" by accident.
It's like they purposely made that name as horrible as possible.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote