AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-09-27, 18:51   Link #21
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Since my memory only lingers upon the fact that G Gundam featured Cantonese pop, then yes, it goes without saying that there is something fundamentally wrong with it. Its more of an abomination than Macross 7.
No way. Sentou Danji is easily the best piece of music in G Gundam - it could only have been better if it used a more traditional Cantonese Opera-based tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
I've only watched the SEED series all my life :P
So my preference would be Kira/Lacus... though I would think that there isn't much passion showed between them.

I guess it's awesome that they both kinda know what each other is thinking about most of the time, but in the eyes of the audience.. it can get pretty boring.
I think that that's part and parcel of the reason why it's not all that interesting even though it isn't exactly bad either. It really only adds to the characterization of one of the characters, and the fact that Kira was her partner doesn't make all that much difference.

Quote:
The problem with G Gundam for me is that, it felt like an exercise specifically directed at parodying Hong Kong Kung Fu cinema of the time period, except with Gundams. Hell, the entire set up looks like something ripped from a typical HK Kung Fu movie, never mind the fact that Mr. Asia is known as "The East never fails" (name for an actual HK movie character) and represents Neo HK.
Although how the heck they went from the original character to how Master Asia turned out is anybody's guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
Gundam Wing: Zechs and Noin
Again, it's hard for me to explain what it is I like about this relationship, it just works for me. It also helps that Zechs and Noin (along with Treize) are my favorite characters in Wing, and probably some of my favorite Gundam characters ever.
I don't mind your other examples, but this is one that I take exception to. While I wouldn't rate any of the romances in Gundam Wing very highly, the Noin-Zechs relationship is the only one that I'd consider poor. Not only is it underwritten to the point where they don't feel like people any more, but her infatuation ends up being one of the sole defining characteristics of Noin. To make matters worse, we never get to see the kind of introspection that you'd expect from her character.
Old 2009-09-27, 20:48   Link #22
GundamFan

Well the Patrick and Kati, Murrue and Mwu type relationships are definetly make for better tv but the Kira, Lacus relationships is alot more healthy probably will last long. As far as Zechs and Noin goes I don't maybe it's just me be but Noin gave off a crazy vibe acouple of times you know it seemed like she'd start stalking Zechs if he ever broke things off with her.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 17:01   Link #23
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

surprised there is not any kira x cagalli in here... I mean look at seed episodes 1-40 is that isn't a clue then I don't know what is...
Really if the sibling thing did not happen nothing would have changed plot wise and the option would still be open XD
Though I would not be that big of a fan of incest, they do not even look related and they have never called each other siblings anyways. It seems like something that was not thought about by the writers until that time.
Old 2009-09-29, 03:51   Link #24
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyeggs View Post
surprised there is not any kira x cagalli in here... I mean look at seed episodes 1-40 is that isn't a clue then I don't know what is...
Really if the sibling thing did not happen nothing would have changed plot wise and the option would still be open XD
Though I would not be that big of a fan of incest, they do not even look related and they have never called each other siblings anyways. It seems like something that was not thought about by the writers until that time.
Yeah, that would've been my second favorite CE pairing after Kira and Fllay had it not been for the sibling issue. I even thought they were going to have some sort of love triangle for a while there. Although with Kira's gene having modified, and they weren't raised as siblings, there might've still been something there if the truth was kept hidden from them even just a little longer.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:23   Link #25
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyeggs View Post
For some reason, the relationship of Kira and Cagalli never looked so lovey-dovey to me. Kira acted like what he is to Cagalli, an older brother. He protected her, teased her around, and comforted her when she needs it. Perhaps it can go both ways...but I dunno, for me, they never seemed like bf-gf material.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:43   Link #26
wingzerosnuggles

For me, it's always been Heero/Relena. I do enjoy the bad boy/good girl dynamic though she's not as much of a good girl as she appears to be. Also, she got him to change dramatically from Episode 1 to the end of Endless Waltz. He started off by giving her a death threat then, by Blind Target (the manga set between GW and EW), he can't help himself and kisses her. It's a bit iffy and implausible but I just love the way it played out. The creators set up this couple in the first episode and stuck with it until the end.

My other favorite couples are also Gundam Wing related. I enjoy Duo/Hilde since that's pretty much canon. They were living together and, if the end of EW is any indication, still are.

Since Trowa/Catherine is incest (really wish it wasn't!), I ship Trowa with Midii from Episode Zero. My other Episode Zero ship is Wufei/Meiran. You can't get any more canon than marriage.

The there's my crack...

Quatre/Dorothy has always appealed to me because of the sadomasochistic dynamic. Calling a girl who just stabbed you "kind?" Come on! I don't think Quatre has a thing for her in canon but I do like how they bounce off each other in fan fic. Besides, Dorothy pretty much flirted with anything that moved. She's shippable with almost everyone. I do like that Quatre wanted to save her life once he realized her motivations and even after she stabbed him. Seriously, that boy is waaay too nice. And I'm willing to bet that Dorothy doesn't like owing anybody anything...

Well, that's enough of my rambling. Shameless plug over here. I just finished and AMV featuring my favorite ship. Heero/Relena, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwfMXRUwU5U
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 02:50   Link #27
picomagic

Smile Gundam Seed/Destiny: Cagalli and Athrun

AC is the reason for me to finish Gundam Seed.

but later in Destiny Luna and her sister really made the relationship between Cagalli and Athrun embarrassing.

however they have a good result finally and that's great
picomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 14:15   Link #28
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

turn A gundam is the most romantic, Loran and Diana always capture my heart
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 19:30   Link #29
Lugia_Tsuyu
Damn, I'm good!

Mine have to me Heero x Relena. I LOVE how they are together.

First she stalked him around...now he's stalking her instead LOL (Just kidding)

I love how understanding they are to each other. She knows he likes to be independent, so she let him no matter how much she wants him by her side. And he's never afraid to give his life for her...sooooo romantic >_<

Can anyone recommand me good fanfics of these two???
Lugia_Tsuyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 20:50   Link #30
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Although some say its not really an official pairing, I'd gotta hand it to Setsuna x Marina.

Bottom line is, this guy is fighting to change the world, he's been fighting all his life and endures some heavy burdens and pays some heavy dues. There were at least two people who affected him internally to have driven him to change, and one of them is dead.

There might not be anything romantic implied, but their relationship was appealing to me due to a number of factors.

The age gap between the two is (to me) unconventional and I like unconventional. I like uniqueness and the whole young guy getting a mature woman seemed like a really cool gimmick to me.

I also like the shy quiet housewifey sort of appeal with Marina. The whole motherly complex how she is worried about Setsuna and even cries for him after being rescued, just because he was still fighting. The scene where Setsuna watching her play with the kids was kinda cool. Simple, but communicates quite a message. Children (at least in OO) seemed to be the symbol of the future, and having a person like Marina lead them seemed like it would lead to a world or society that Setsuna probably longs for.

Setsuna is fighting to change and create a world of understanding, and he and Marina seemed to have developed this 'understanding' that he's been fighting for - so this kinda creates the first ripple. An indication of his battle paying off.
Even to the end, Marina was praying for his happiness despite all the fighting and pain.

In a way to me, it seemed kinda reminiscent of the Heero x Relena with the theme of soldier with a Gundam paired with a symbolic, royal or political icon, but the difference is Setsuna to a poin was able to be open with Marina, where Heero x Relena seemed to be a bit one-sided (most of the time, anyway).

Also, I like Marina's character design. More the Season 2 Marina rather than the Season 1, because those princess garments were a bit over the top. But the white dress she wore for majority of the series - it makes her like rather simple, but something about the white makes it a bit motherly or angelic or whatever. Simple long black hair with bangs. Nothing too fancy unlike pink hair with gold hairpin or whatever.
Very simple design, but still prestige.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 04:38   Link #31
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Domon/Rain is superior IMO. Also a fan of the Kira/Lacus, even though lots of people on here complain about it.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 17:10   Link #32
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
Also a fan of the Kira/Lacus, even though lots of people on here complain about it.
Thats also because a lot of people here simply don't understand it.

Lacus and Kira's relationship is held on a pedestal in Japan, since culturally, their relationship is an ideal one.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 17:46   Link #33
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't see people here, in this thread, complaining about the pairing. Personally, I'm a Kira/Flay fan, but I have nothing against Kira/Lacus and in fact have about as many Kira/Lacus images saved onto my computer as I do Kira/Flay.

Its just that, for some of us, Kira/Lacus just isn't all that interesting to us. It honestly doesn't give us a whole lot to talk about for an actual discussion.
Old 2009-10-08, 17:57   Link #34
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Its just that, for some of us, Kira/Lacus just isn't all that interesting to us. It honestly doesn't give us a whole lot to talk about for an actual discussion.
True, and it's because the relationship is too stagnant at this point. For a relationship to be fully realized, it must be tested. Kira and Lacus never had that test during Destiny. And it was still not clear, even at this point that Kira would've ended up with her without Fllay dying.

Forging a romantic relationship is like forging a sword, for it must be tempered and strengthened so that it has longetivity.
Old 2009-10-08, 18:18   Link #35
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
True, and it's because the relationship is too stagnant at this point. For a relationship to be fully realized, it must be tested. Kira and Lacus never had that test during Destiny. And it was still not clear, even at this point that Kira would've ended up with her without Fllay dying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
See, this is precisely it. Some of us want action, like an actual kissing scene... etc.

But for its primary audience, their relationship itself was fulfilling enough.

Moreover, to say that Lacus and Kira had not been tested is not something I will agree with. They have been tested, but those tests don't seem like tests because they fell apart when put against Kira & Lacus, but will definitely wreck any lesser pairing. The mutual understanding of that pair is so great that it simply cannot be tested.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-10-08, 18:34   Link #36
kakakka

^Maybe some people are more of in the middle. Too perfect can sometimes interpret to 'being boring'. :s
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 18:39   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
See, this is precisely it. Some of us want action, like an actual kissing scene... etc.

But for its primary audience, their relationship itself was fulfilling enough.

Moreover, to say that Lacus and Kira had not been tested is not something I will agree with. They have been tested, but those tests don't seem like tests because they fell apart when put against Kira & Lacus, but will definitely wreck any lesser pairing. The mutual understanding of that pair is so great that it simply cannot be tested.

- Tak
I wouldn't say that the pairing can't be tested. I mean, any relationship can and will have its challenges, its just that the Kira/Lacus one hasn't been given a proper testing. In SEED's romantic aspect, most of it was focused on Flay, right up until the end and his relationship with Lacus didn't really start until the end, so there wasn't time to give it any sort of challenge. And SEED Destiny focused on other things; Kira's love life wasn't a major point of the story, so it still went largely untested.

Personally, I'd be happy if there WAS some sort of test in the SEED movie for them. That'd give us some development, something to talk about, something to make it more interesting to the rest of us who aren't just content to worship them on their pedestal. =/
Old 2009-10-08, 18:48   Link #38
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Personally, I'd be happy if there WAS some sort of test in the SEED movie for them. That'd give us some development, something to talk about, something to make it more interesting to the rest of us who aren't just content to worship them on their pedestal.
Seriously, this is what I want to happen. While it's good to have them sailing in clear waters, having them tested would definitely help their relationship, especially on Lacus' part. Kira, I know will automatically do anything to keep her well, especially when he doesn't want to lose 2/2(or should it be 2/3?) here.

To delve with something else: I'd like to know which romantic relationship with Amuro really worked?
Old 2009-10-08, 20:43   Link #39
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

KIRA X LACUS!!!! WOOOOOOOO...

words do not describe how much i ship for these two. yes, their relationship is completely one dimensional (at least its portrayed that way to viewers) but beneath that is a foundation so strong that pretty much nothing can come between them. add to the fact that clearly japan loves this pairing and Sunrise is a moneygrabbing whore, and we'll get Gundam SEED: Eternity soon enough. i mean, the two of them are pretty much still on the top 10 favorite characters list.

and yeah, when i saw Destiny Final Complete Super Edition added scene at the end, i pretty much jumped up and cheered because that's the one scene fans like me have been waiting for through 100 episodes.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:05   Link #40
Tak

Yeah, I agree. The foundation of Lacus and Kira's relationship is beyond any other pairing in Gundam franchise history.

Certainly, it can be tested, but the effort will be much like hoping to move a mountain by splashing water. Needless to say, the attempt will not be very effective and the end result would be failure. Moreover, it is unfair to say that they have not been tested. Fact is, they have been tested, but the foundation of their relationship remained unshaken. Kira & Lacus value their relationship to the point that should any matter come in between them and threaten to separate them forever, they'd more likely rather commit suicide together than give in.

- Tak