Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-21, 21:10   Link #241
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
One of the coolest aspects of Bakuman was that we got to see inside the real Jump, real editors, as backgrounds and characters of the manga.
It made it feel authentic and exciting.
But it's not about the story, it's about the sanctity of the premise of the franchise, and our emotional attachment to it.
Said it better than I ever could. Bakuman has always been dropping real manga and magazine names left, right, and center, and this slice of realism is a big part of its allure. The "Jack" thing might seem like a small thing but it makes the entire picture somewhat ridiculous. What a letdown. I could understand it if Bakuman was not originally running in Jump, but since it came out of Jump, the editorial department there had a big part to play with getting the anime adaptation rolling - it would have been possible to negotiate this point and keep the Jump reference. I guess they can't get away with this bit of free advertising though.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 23:52   Link #242
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Said it better than I ever could. Bakuman has always been dropping real manga and magazine names left, right, and center, and this slice of realism is a big part of its allure. The "Jack" thing might seem like a small thing but it makes the entire picture somewhat ridiculous. What a letdown. I could understand it if Bakuman was not originally running in Jump, but since it came out of Jump, the editorial department there had a big part to play with getting the anime adaptation rolling - it would have been possible to negotiate this point and keep the Jump reference. I guess they can't get away with this bit of free advertising though.
As far as I know Jump isn't shy of putting their name in their own franchise.
So I assume this decision was influenced by the fact Bakuman is running on an educational NHK channel. It's like PBS in America.
I don't know about these days, but back when I was living in Japan NHK Kyouiku TV (NHK Educational TV) was ad-free channel.
That may have played a part in the decision.

Nonetheless, we as consumer and fans, of couse, don't give a flying hoot what the political or business decision made this happen.
We're just fumed that it did.
Old 2010-10-22, 00:05   Link #243
Kakkou
Tch.

Heh, not surprising considering the stuff NHK does. IIRC Tsubasa Chronicle's subpar tv anime was forced to remove all references to alcohol which ruined some of it's funnier moments.

That aside, I liked the episode. I'm glad the letter trading thing wasn't just sheer dumb coincidence and that my guess was right. The talk they had with Miho's mother's croissants was rather nice and the fact her croissants she is voiced by Inoue Kikuko was a fitting choice. She's always nice to listen to. Looking forward to them getting into the manga industry more, though an anime by 18 is quite a stretch.

I fee like eating croissants now. Haven't felt this way since Ladies vs Butlers!
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 14:21   Link #244
Xagzan

So...no new episode this week?

Edit: Never mind, I see it now.

Last edited by Xagzan; 2010-10-24 at 16:12.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 16:53   Link #245
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
so no awesome TLR references and the likes then?
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 17:00   Link #246
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
so no awesome TLR references and the likes then?
They've already mentioned quite a few manga series already (Dragon Ball, Kochikame, Ashita no Joe, etc...), so TLR references shouldn't be a problem. They've only replaced Jump with Jack. It's so weird to hear them talk about getting into Jack...
Old 2010-10-24, 18:36   Link #247
lightbringer
M9000

Death Note was also mentioned. Funny how they can advertise manga series but not the magazine they were serialized in. Bummer.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 20:58   Link #248
larethian

couldn't agree more. it's way too contradictory. i really want to know why; i'm sure the fans in Japan are raging; anyone can dig out any news on why only 'Jump' was changed??
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 21:09   Link #249
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Jacku

Jacku

Jacku

Jacku

Jacku

There's a difference between removing alcohol references and changing the name of a well known magazine from Jump to Jack despite keeping every other indicator that the magazine in question is indeed Jump.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 21:23   Link #250
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Death Note was also mentioned. Funny how they can advertise manga series but not the magazine they were serialized in. Bummer.
In france a show can reference "artistic works" but not "brands" like magasines or tv networks so for exemple a show could mention the name of another tv show but not the name of the channel it's airing on.

Wonder if Japan has similar laws?
Old 2010-10-24, 21:58   Link #251
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

dear jesus god, what the hell is wrong with Azuki's mom's hair. like, its paused right now and i'm recovering from laughing so hard.

also, who does the VA for Azuki's mom? its soooo familiar. I want to say Kikuko Inoue, but i know its not her...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-10-24 at 22:09.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 22:14   Link #252
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
also, who does the VA for Azuki's mom? its soooo familiar. I want to say Kikuko Inoue, but i know its not her...
But it is Kikuko Inoue
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 22:47   Link #253
Xagzan

TLR references don't show up til Fukuda I believe.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:11   Link #254
chaos_alfa

Why are their so few people talking about Bakuman
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:46   Link #255
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Why are their so few people talking about Bakuman
Jacku . . .

Maybe the same reasons so few talk about the manga?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:46   Link #256
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Mediocre animation, no moe, no sex, no action. Great writing - check. Great story - check.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:56   Link #257
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Jacku . . .

Maybe the same reasons so few talk about the manga?
The manga has quite the huge following you know. Maybe not on this forum, though there's still a good number of posts in the thread, so there's no problem there.

I'm just not following the adaptation because i don't like it.
Old 2010-10-29, 17:47   Link #258
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

not much to talk about. they're still developing the stuff. though i feel we're about to get to the main portion now, when they work on their manga and compete with the other mangaka.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 03:15   Link #259
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Watching Bakuman makes appreciate manga very very much, it's alot of work! O_O;;

I love the manga refrences and spend time recognizing them. Also, looking at Saiko and Azuki makes me sigh and remember old school romance. Nowadays it's all like "Wassup *unzips*". XD
Old 2010-10-30, 09:35   Link #260
blewin

Just started watching this anime. As a Bakuman manga reader, I don't have a problem with the animation. In fact, the animated version brings alive that vibrant feel of the show. The excitement of Takagi and Mashiro over this new venture, their determination to make it big, their dynamic interaction, Mashiro's innocent feelings for Miho.... Been a while since an anime grabs me like this (except for Fairy Tail). So yeah, I quite look forward to the next episode of Bakuman even though I know what's gonna happen.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comic works, coming of age, shounen