AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-19, 05:05   Link #1
Hustla

e GADS!!!! Please help me find something awesome to watch!

I need help finding a good or two anime to watch - please forgive me if this isn't the right thread or something and I'd imagine it gets posted like every other day, I literally just joined as this site kept coming up on my google searches- I couldn't say what I'am looking for in particular, but I can tell you some of the stuff I have watched plus some of my opinion to try get some suggestions flowing.

Heres what I can recall just off the top of my head, most of it was on the advice of friends who were fans or teh wunderful interweb:

- Yu Yu hakusho (loved it)

-Rurouni kenshin(Solid)

-Bleach(meh)

-Naruto(meh)

-One Piece (haven't watched those last 3 in their entirety just cause it gets to be like zzzzzz so I kinda jump around arcs and watch 50 here and there)

-Black Lagoon(Very good, wished the dude had learned to shot people though)

-Full Metal Alchemist(funny and actiony=good)

-Gurren Lagann(probly the only anime with mechs I'd ever liked)

-Code Geass (hated that ending)

-Hajime no ippo(Fighting+wimp who becomes badass-Two tumbs up in my book)

-Kenichi the mightiest disciple (see above)

-Afro samurai(meh)

-Trigun(good)

-Death Note (first and last time I'll ever wikipedia an anime, was all like so thats how it ends.... well forget that.... 20 episodes in)

-Claymore(action was good, wasn't a fan of the look and found it slowish)

-Hellsing (good)

-Blood+(didn't finish it, wasn't that good)

-Inuyasha(not the whole freaking thing but enough, enjoyable)

-Samurai Champloo

-Cowboy Bebop

-Dbz (not a huge fan but I see some of the appeal)

Anyway that’s all I can think of, I know it’s not exactly a particularly long list but if I can get a few suggestions to add to it, well that'd be great. I like martial artsy types (both bloody and violent or not), guns (though haven't found many good ones), haven't really watched any anime featuring "magic" as their main stick, I'd prefer the main character to start of kinda week and grow into a total badass but starting out as a total boss is acceptable, character growth in general is cool and some humor (light or dark) is appreciated, not really into anything with like mechs but futuristic is fine. I know that this doesn't narrow it down THAT much or at all really however I hope it provides some ideas. Thank for your time and suggestions O mighty anime masters.

Last edited by Hustla; 2010-09-19 at 05:10. Reason: Just thought of some more to add to the list
Old 2010-09-19, 09:52   Link #2
Shinjite

Berserk. Check this one out, its brutal.

Fullmetal Alchemist the Brotherhood. You will like this.

Code Geass season 2?

Hajima No Ippo, boxing anime, i love this one. Really nice fights, good humor and story.
Edit (you have already seen this one, have you seen Season 2?)

Eyeshield one, a American Football serie. Also very nice.
Old 2010-09-19, 10:12   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla View Post
Anyway that’s all I can think of, I know it’s not exactly a particularly long list but if I can get a few suggestions to add to it, well that'd be great. I like martial artsy types (both bloody and violent or not), guns (though haven't found many good ones), haven't really watched any anime featuring "magic" as their main stick, I'd prefer the main character to start of kinda week and grow into a total badass but starting out as a total boss is acceptable, character growth in general is cool and some humor (light or dark) is appreciated, not really into anything with like mechs but futuristic is fine. I know that this doesn't narrow it down THAT much or at all really however I hope it provides some ideas. Thank for your time and suggestions O mighty anime masters.
It seems you're only interested in action. Well I can recommend:

Kara no Kyoukai - Urban Fantasy. Supernatural horror. Bloody violence, some martial arts, magic but no guns. Main character starts out like a total boss. Only humor in 6th film.

Canaan - Action and guns. Some martial arts and magic. Main character starts out like a total boss. Some humor but not a lot.

Darker Than Black - Action and Sci-Fi powers. Some martial arts, some guns. Main character starts out like a total boss. Some humor but not a lot.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - All gun action. No martial arts. Main character goes from weak to total badass. No humor - all drama.

To Aru Majutsu no Index - All magical and Sci-Fi powers. No martial arts. Futuristic but no mecha. Main character starts out weak but goes to badass very quickly. Lots of light hearted humor.

Sword of the Stranger - Samurai martial arts action. No magic and main character starts out like a total boss. No humor - all drama.

Angel Beats - Lots of guns and magic. Takes place in the afterlife. No martial arts. Main character remains average (action isn't actually the main focus). Lots and lots of slapstick humor and jokes revolving around not being able to die.
Old 2010-09-19, 10:15   Link #4
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

Definitely give Basilisk a try, at the very least, I urge that you watch the first episode. Chances are that you'll be hooked straight away, it has sort of Kenshin-like atmosphere to it.
Old 2010-09-19, 14:18   Link #5
Tomislav

Sword of the Stranger - Samurai martial arts action. No magic and main character starts out like a total boss. No humor - all drama.

I second this movie, it's worth watching it, very good animation, a solid plot and a true big badass... also moving, though.

I second Basilisk as well, I'm watching it right now, and the first episode is seriously something everybody should regret not seeing it.

Last edited by Tomislav; 2010-09-19 at 14:21. Reason: baka me... I answered without reading all the posts:-P
Old 2010-09-22, 16:29   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Bee Train's "girls with guns" trilogy might work for you. It sure worked for me!

Noir
Madlax
El Cazador de la Bruja
Old 2010-09-22, 18:17   Link #7
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - All gun action. No martial arts. Main character goes from weak to total badass. No humor - all drama.
Seconded - watch this, it's awesome.

Others I suggest are;

- Chrome Shelled Regios - Lots of action and has a post apocalyptic/fantasy genre to it. Highly enjoyable with some great characters.
- Shikabane Hime: Aka - Again, lots of action, and again has a fantasy genre. This is set is modern times however. Guns, martial arts, and hot living corpses are a great mix. Also has a second season.
- Busou Renkin - Quite similar to CSR, however set in modern times. Action, drama, fantasy and some hilarious characters.
Closed Thread