Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 15:57   Link #1201
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol, I couldn't even finish Clannad, so I'll give you that this show wasn't the worst of it. A comparison that something was worse doesn't quite make this good though. Ah, but I am honestly representing my opinion, here: when I call myself a troll that just means I feel like stating the most inflammatory parts of my opinion in strong language because I want people to feel bad about theirs (lol it's still pretty mild though this time right? Please don't mod me mods ).

Anyway, I think I randomly set up a decent personal scale here, somehow. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: mediocre, wouldn't watch again. Clannad: graceless crap, didn't even finish. Agree? (lol, Umi is still better though. If you can't access the magnitudes better done emotion there but can for the contrived drama here, I think you're letting some preconcieved ideas of fantasy=fluff or something prevent you from truly getting into the show there).

Take Mirai's 'oh boohoo, Yuuki wanted to do this and this and that' speech in the hospital room. What exactly is the motivation for that? Why exactly would Mirai tell that to her parents? What grieving function does that achieve?

:P Nothing, really. It doesn't make sense for the characters: all it does it make Mirai's parents cry more, and there's no reason why Mirai would want that (such an assumption would also require Mirai to have dissociated herself enough from those memories to use them manipulatively too). No, the only reason that speech was put in there was to make the audience cry: oh, what a courageous boy Yuuki was, he had such nice dreams, etc. etc. etc. The slideshow is like that, but worse. In the first place, what's this anime about? At the most basic level: an earthquake, right? And the characters only become relevant to us through experiencing the earthquake. In that case, what the fuck is a slideshow about some kid's beautiful life in pre-earthquake Japan doing there? Why do we care how happy and innocent and young that brat was, when we've already seen that via the story and further--he's already dead (i.e. he has no further role to play)? Does that scene achieve anything but try to make us cry? No, that is blatantly obvious. That's how it is clumsy.

As for context, you didn't quite understand. Context refers to the universe within the story. It seems to me Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was attempting to be a narrative, not a slideshow of emotionally charged pictures of a kid who later died in an earthquake. Those weren't the family's memories of Yuuki growing up--there was nothing to trigger them (i.e. a photo album or something--that would be (still poorly done, though) context). Rather, they were a non-sequitur series of images inserted for no (in-universe) identifiable reasons.

Ah, this is a pretty long spewage of words. I don't think I'm up for doing it again.
You know I guess all of this sort of works if you are willing to take the most cynical and dismissive view possible of all the episode and shows events, but it stops well short of getting me to feel bad about the manner in which I chose to view it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case for other viewers.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 16:06   Link #1202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In rather typical japanese fashion, they've left the "ghost or grief shock?" ambivalent so people can draw their own conclusions.
Old 2009-09-19, 17:11   Link #1203
velderia
Former NEET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Probably the most intentionally emotionally manipulative final episode ever and yet...... I didn't cry. I was sad and I came close once or twice but I definitely feel they blew their load too soon with everything (Pardon the expression). Having Yuuki die so many episodes back but not having her deal with the aftermath until the final episode was a huuuuge mistake, and even in this episode we wasted nearly a third of the episode with her continued bizarre delusions. Most of the stuff after they stopped doing the hallucinations were good but it felt like another case of "Too little, too late"..... or am I just heartless?
Eh... I cried. At the same time I don't think you're really that heartless. Maybe you've seen this type of drama more than I have. Maybe it affects me more because I have an older brother and we argue over the most stupid things. If I had gone through this type of tragedy with him, I would probably go through the same whirlwind of emotions.
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:51   Link #1204
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In rather typical japanese fashion, they've left the "ghost or grief shock?" ambivalent so people can draw their own conclusions.
More like so the anti-ghost crowd can lick their wounds.

Spoiler for Ghost:

Last edited by orion; 2009-09-19 at 18:02.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 18:20   Link #1205
blewin

I rather like the Yuuki ghost thing. The scene when the sunlight retreats outside the door, sweeping away Yuuki's image with it is quite powerful for me. To me, it's like the use of symbolism in how Yuuki symbolises Mirai's ordeal from the robot show to home, and that includes her physical journey as well as her mental journey of mental maturity.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 19:02   Link #1206
Dop
Mmmm....

At one point I had this horrible feeling that the reason Mirai had said Yuuki's bag was heavy was because they'd put his ashes in there, but that would have been too Grave of the Fireflies and fortunately wasn't the case.

I did wonder why it took Mari so long to appear, but then again she had an injured mother to look after as well as her daughter so perhaps couldn't make it, or maybe wanted to give Mirai and her parents some time to grieve among themselves.

I think one of the most hard-hitting scenes in the last episode was when Mirai went back to school, and we got all those shots of empty desks with vases of flowers on them, one for each kid in the class who had died in the earthquake.

I'm not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes in this episode.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 01:32   Link #1207
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
A powerful and moving drama.
A triumph of the human spirit.
I cried like a baby.
Old 2009-09-20, 08:12   Link #1208
Molenir

Quote:
I think one of the most hard-hitting scenes in the last episode was when Mirai went back to school, and we got all those shots of empty desks with vases of flowers on them, one for each kid in the class who had died in the earthquake.
Looking at how many of the kids were killed, I thought was overdone. 5 in one class? Hard to believe really, especially if you look at it statistically. That class must have been hammered. Much more likely for there to be 1 dead, 2 would be statistically unlikely, and very unusual. More then that puts it at the very limit of probability. How do I figure? Estimate Tokyo's Population, estimate potential number of casualties, arrive at a percentage. Compress that for a class of 40 students. It wouldn't be unusual for there to be classes with none killed. Some of the students may well have lost family members, but none of the kids themselves. Other classes as I mentioned before maybe 1 or 2 if unlucky. Meh, anyway, like I said, overdone.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 09:38   Link #1209
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Looking at how many of the kids were killed, I thought was overdone. 5 in one class? Hard to believe really, especially if you look at it statistically. That class must have been hammered. Much more likely for there to be 1 dead, 2 would be statistically unlikely, and very unusual. More then that puts it at the very limit of probability. How do I figure? Estimate Tokyo's Population, estimate potential number of casualties, arrive at a percentage. Compress that for a class of 40 students. It wouldn't be unusual for there to be classes with none killed. Some of the students may well have lost family members, but none of the kids themselves. Other classes as I mentioned before maybe 1 or 2 if unlucky. Meh, anyway, like I said, overdone.
Why do people get statistical with this show? Its an emotional journey, not a frickin documentary. How is it hard to believe that five kids from one class could die? Did you think that maybe they were having a get together and the building fell and crushed them all or perhaps its just a little thing called coincidence. Where someone goes to school doesn't effect their possibility for death. In an earthquake of that magnitude anybody can die and if that anybody happens to be five kids from the same class, then it so happens to be five kids from the same class. Earthquakes aren't exactly particular, they aren't going around and saying, "Oh, I've already killed 2 kids from that class, I better not kill anymore!" Good grief, people are overly and unrealistically analytical about this show.

Anyway, on to my thoughts, this was a great show. It was an absolutely beautiful emotional journey and I cried at the end. There is one thing that I haven't noticed anyone talking about, or perhaps I just missed it, if the cause of Yuuki's death was the incident with Tokyo Tower, then that boy sacrificed his life to save his sister. If he didn't throw her out of the way and instead run away, himself, she would be the one dead and not he. If that is the case, you have to give him major points for sacrificing his life to save his sister, it just shows how much that boy loved his family. You also have to wonder if Mirai will ever come to the realization that he sacrificed himself for her and how she would cope with that fact.

Last edited by saravis; 2009-09-20 at 09:47. Reason: reword
saravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 09:51   Link #1210
Theowne
耳をすませば

So with this final episode, while TM8 isn't all that I hoped it would be, it didn't go on a downward spiral until the end as I felt there were some good moments in this final episode. Eg, I thought the talk between Mari and Mirai was well-done, though I still feel like Mari's being "written out" of the show wasn't really justified.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 21:42   Link #1211
xKeen

Overall,great show as it is packed with emotions.Mari arriving at Mirai's house was unexpected,for me.Seems like Mari keeps her promises and she's a really good person.I've never cried(sounds gay) so much since Clannad AS.The final episode was hard to watch,as I keep crying and couldn't breathe.
This may be one of the best anime I've watch this season.Sorry for the shitty post as I am not good in english...

Last edited by xKeen; 2009-09-21 at 09:03.
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 01:46   Link #1212
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_ED View Post
The ending was great but it didn't really explain how Yuuki died, They said something about his head but it doesn't explain much.
Yuuki died from the latent head injury that he incurred in episode 4 when he pushed Marai out of the way when Tokyo Tower fell. That is why Marai said in episode 11 that Yuuki didn't complain the whole time even though his head must have caused him so much pain. There have been many instances in real life where people incur head injuries and go on with their days only to suddenly die later from the injury.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 13:51   Link #1213
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
Yuuki died from the latent head injury that he incurred in episode 4 when he pushed Marai out of the way when Tokyo Tower fell. That is why Marai said in episode 11 that Yuuki didn't complain the whole time even though his head must have caused him so much pain. There have been many instances in real life where people incur head injuries and go on with their days only to suddenly die later from the injury.
Thanks dude, now I finally understood what injuried him in the head. I didn't really remember that scene. To think it happened at that time!
Anyway they screw up Yuuki's death with all those visions... I thought Mirai inhaled some toxic substance...
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 17:53   Link #1214
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Thanks dude, now I finally understood what injuried him in the head. I didn't really remember that scene. To think it happened at that time!
Anyway they screw up Yuuki's death with all those visions... I thought Mirai inhaled some toxic substance...
Haha, no problem. I didn't catch the cause of death until I was rewatching it with someone who hadn't seen the show yet. It really was her Marai's fault. If she hadn't gone off her him for no reason, he wouldn't have gone over to the tower. She's such a prick, I wouldn't have cared if she was the one to go.

Yeah, I view her visions as a psychological breakdown. It's sad how it takes such a monumental tragedy for her to realize how effed up she was. As for the toxic substances, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what she turns to now for solace. Second season: Marai battles her problems with drugs. Hah.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 22:36   Link #1215
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, just watched episode three. i've pretty much refused to read any spoilers, since in this type of show, people WILL get axed along the way. i just hope Mari stays alright, though all my anime watching instinct tells me her flags are already waving... I could care less about Mirai since she's pretty much the type of person i hate the most, and Yuki is a good character, though he's in the middle of the spectrum.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 01:37   Link #1216
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Yuki's death was really sad, especially when he appeared between the walls for the last time. I respect Mirai for how much she loved her brother and was able to endure all of this.

I thought we would get a time skip in the end and we could get a view of Mirai as an older woman but....I loved it.
Old 2009-09-22, 01:56   Link #1217
SkoolRumble4Ya

Man this series is so sad, I almost cried because something like this can happen.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 02:44   Link #1218
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Final review of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 on The Nihon Review is up:

[NHRV] Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 04:46   Link #1219
arkxkra
全力全開

the last episode is so sudden (never thought Yuki will be dead, no wonder the bag will be left in hospital). Overall is good series, and the last episode impact is so big to me:'(.
Old 2009-09-22, 07:02   Link #1220
Blitzfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I rather like the Yuuki ghost thing. The scene when the sunlight retreats outside the door, sweeping away Yuuki's image with it is quite powerful for me. To me, it's like the use of symbolism in how Yuuki symbolises Mirai's ordeal from the robot show to home, and that includes her physical journey as well as her mental journey of mental maturity.
I think that was the selling point of the entire episode. Made us think about what happened in their entire journey and especially how mirai had changed.
Blitzfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy