AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 43 13.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 6.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 8.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 6.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 12 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 135 42.45%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-17, 01:09   Link #321
nj21
萌え...

10/10 for most trolltastic episode yet.

Koizumi should be careful with the way he flails his arms about, someone could get hurt.
Apparently the animators are getting bored to, as they decided to rush most of the episode so they could repeat Haruhi walking away 3 times and animate a clock going round and round.

Btw, was Kyon drawing infinity or 8?
Old 2009-07-17, 01:24   Link #322
Hedd
Random Object

You notice that they never show Kyon's reaction when Koizumi muses about himself saying "I love you" to Haruhi? Koizumi always gets a defensive look after saying it but they never show Kyon. I keep looking for it too.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:25   Link #323
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
10/10 for most trolltastic episode yet.

Koizumi should be careful with the way he flails his arms about, someone could get hurt.
Apparently the animators are getting bored to, as they decided to rush most of the episode so they could repeat Haruhi walking away 3 times and animate a clock going round and round.

I'm surprised you felt the animation was rushed. It struck me as some of the best in Endless Eight, certainly better than Endless Eight III, which so far has been the low point of the series for me.

It's funny you mention that clock, though. That clock... It was two static sets of drawings, one for the light and one for the dark, and animated entirely in software. But they were precise enough to make the minute hand move realistically as the seconds ticked by, which was very cool. I thought the clock was a nice touch.

Kyon was actually drawing a pair of aviator goggles that had no relation to the plot whatsoever, but Haruhi went all tsuntsun and didn't let him finish.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:27   Link #324
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonomi View Post
I'm surprised you felt the animation was rushed. It struck me as some of the best in Endless Eight, certainly better than Endless Eight III, which so far has been the low point of the series for me.

It's funny you mention that clock, though. That clock... It was two static sets of drawings, one for the light and one for the dark, and animated entirely in software. But they were precise enough to make the minute hand move realistically as the seconds ticked by, which was very cool. I thought the clock was a nice touch.

Kyon was actually drawing a pair of aviator goggles that had no relation to the plot whatsoever, but Haruhi went all tsuntsun and didn't let him finish.
i thought it was the best. Even better than EE II which was my previous favorite.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:27   Link #325
sacundim

Quote:
Actually, I don't think they're rushing through the episodes. I can almost swear they're doing something more perverse: cut out earlier scenes in later repetitions to make you think that they're making space for the resolution at the end of the episode.

Last time around, they cut out Asahina's "classified information" speech; this time they cut out the yukata shopping and the batting center.

At the very least, each one of the last three episodes has done that to me: "Oh, they left out/rushed through X, that must mean it's going to end today." (And also, a lot of people here are just watching the episodes after reading the spoilers: ur doin it wrong, kids.)

Quote:
Yes, he was...
Old 2009-07-17, 01:35   Link #326
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's more distributed the way an infomercial is distributed, with distributors buying airtime on various stations and the "sponsors" being the various companies selling merchandise related to the show. For example, I think the main sponsors for Haruhi are Kadokawa (novel/manga/anime publisher) and Lantis (music publisher). In some cases a TV station may pitch in some money in the production in exchange for having air exclusively/first on their network (TBS, TV Tokyo, WOWOW, some others do this), but this is just a UHF broadcast. This is not a syndicated show, and it doesn't make its primary money by advertising on the air (because, let's face it, what's the viewership like at 1am?).
Hm...since Haruhi seems to be very popular, why isn't it in prime time when viewership is high? Then they could make money from ads and DVDs. Or is there something I'm not seeing here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Personally, I think they could have accomplished the same thing in 3 episodes and wait to see how the DVD version of this season plays out.... I'm still wondering if they plan to re-release the entire series as a SHnY 2.0 (including the first season eps again).
I agree 100% on the three episodes thing. The rule of three is a rule for a reason---because it tends to work.

You know, when this is over, someone with a bit of knowledge about editing should take all these episodes and edit them in a three-episode arc. If this can be successfully done, it would put to rest any arguments (and I know there are some hold outs out there, quiet though you may be) that six or more episodes were really necessary to make us feel Yuki's pain and Kyon's helplessness.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:42   Link #327
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
Hm...since Haruhi seems to be very popular, why isn't it in prime time when viewership is high? Then they could make money from ads and DVDs. Or is there something I'm not seeing here?
It's popular in its target demographic, but is it really a "family show"? Plus that would generally require it to be picked up by one of the major networks, and so far Kadokawa has been publishing it on their own. I guess it could have been an option at some point, but maybe this is just what works best for the partners involved; they take more of a risk, but get a bitter chunk of the profits. In any case, it's pretty rare that you see any anime that isn't either well-established or from a super popular shounen manga franchise make it to prime time.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:52   Link #328
Jiggy

With how well-animated and detailed this episode was--lots of actual new scenes here and there--I'm not sure that some of the material here, like Haruhi's great march, shouldn't have been in the second Endless Eight when full desperation hadn't set in thematically yet. This episode actually felt new to me in a sense, and I don't know whether things are better or worse off this way; even if the slice-of-life scenes had looked more similar to the other EE episodes--this one would still have thrived just with some of its new material like the guys showing up at night, Itsuki's amazing watch, the equally-amazing clock ending, the merry-go-round, the super multi-loop in the restaurant, and that march I mentioned.

Still, I gave a 9/10. I didn't rate the previous two weeks because I couldn't evaluate them independently of KyoAni's artistry, boldness, stupidity, trolling, or whatever else anyone might consider the loops to be (I like it all, myself), but here I honestly enjoyed all the new stuff enough that it enabled me to put aside everything else.

I also don't mind things feeling lighter and more optimistic as we (maybe?) approach the end. After all, as far as I can tell, it's not like the characters themselves (sans Yuki) aren't still having fun despite being aware of the recursion. I'm hoping the final loop will also be fairly light since it'll be the lasting memory for everyone except Yuki.

Edit: I neglected to mention it, but I loved the little detail of Kyon using the calculator on his phone to figure out how many years they'd been repeating. For someone who complains in his mind about Haruhi being so smart, it would be one thing if he managed to work out an estimate like "over 500 years," but figuring out such specificity as 594 or 595 years so quickly when he's the same guy who says things like "how many negatives did I just string together?" always stuck out for me.

Last edited by Jiggy; 2009-07-17 at 03:13.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:09   Link #329
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think you guys are worrying way too much about the art for the future works. Just let is come. The plots will be more than enough to deal with any art deviations..
Old 2009-07-17, 02:10   Link #330
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Let's say KyoAni intentionally wants Haruhi, for whatever reason, to gradually switch over to the K-ON art style. Well, I think that even most fans of that art style will admit that it's an art style that works best with slice of life/comedy scenes... and not, say, scenes like Yuki Nagato vs. Ryoko Asakura in Season 1. Or Day of Sagittarius. It's hard to imagine the K-ON art style effectively conveying sci-fi action scenes, in short.
Funny Nagato vs. Asakura and Day of Sagittarius were picked. The former was done by the animator those who don't like KyoAni's current art style hate most. The latter's animation director was the very character designer of K-ON. And also, in the episode, the characters were the most off through the series. I love it best though.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:19   Link #331
Launch
Bug Catcher

This is definitely my favourite episode so far (Though, I said that about the last episode xD).

How do they create the feeling that the episode is going a lot faster than usual.. but it mostly takes the same time to meet up with the end? I thought the way they executed that was amazing. The way they cut out some scenes (most notably the yukata shopping) was great.

I did have it in the back of my mind that this episode wouldn't end Endless Eight, but this episode did a damn good job of creating enough suspense that by the end (when Haruhi kept getting repeated) I wasn't sure what to expect.

This episode was great in my opinion, and I see a few people are agreeing from the last couple of pages.
I really don't see a reason to rate this episode itself as a 1, to be honest, but I guess people are entitled to their own opinion. I get the feeling that a lot of people automatically voted a 1 just because it didn't finish with this episode... oh well. ^^;

Some great moments in this episode nonetheless. Koizumi's choice of swimwear this episode... I was almost on the floor laughing. xD Can't wait until next week.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:21   Link #332
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The bets are still 6 episodes, though some have bets on 8 episodes
(some cynical people project 13 episodes)
Old 2009-07-17, 02:21   Link #333
kniteowl

Out of all of the E8 Eps We've seen so far, this is my favourite E8 Ep.

Kyon really needs to ask Nagato more questions...
Old 2009-07-17, 02:26   Link #334
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Episode 6: Endless Eight V: "How I learned to stop worrying and love the summer"

Anyhow, ah whatever. I'll follow this series because the discussions are pretty funny. I suppose I have to be here to witness the greatest troll in anime history for better or for worse. Who knows how many new memes will be unleashed on the internets
Old 2009-07-17, 02:30   Link #335
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Out of all of the E8 Eps We've seen so far, this is my favourite E8 Ep.

Kyon really needs to ask Nagato more questions...
I wonder how Yuki would react if you just follow her around all day. xD
Old 2009-07-17, 02:33   Link #336
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

So whatever they are trying to with this better amazing because 5episodes of this getting ridiculous.
And while this episode might have looked nice it was still the most boring one out of all imo, nothing was really done to get attention and the last scene...well it just made me laugh out of pure ridiculousness of it.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:34   Link #337
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

OMG THE ENDLESS EIGHT LOOPED AGAIN!?!?!

AS IF...... it gonna surprise me this time, muhahahahahaha ^____^

It was promising when they skipped out some screens (Yukata, some fireworks...etc....) and have my hope go high. The ending even seems to be later than usual, give some hope that no ED this time to end the whole E8. Too bad, try again next time =))

Some camera angle is great. Several small detail also makes the ep looks quite unique. I don't know if Nagato feel boring with all those loops, but for sure, seeing Kyon asked a similar question over and over again, then react the same way each time surely irritated

The bloody "loops within a loop" really got me rewinding to see if it was the video player's fault. Then the clock was quite an interesting thing to star at

Some1 was wondering what it likes as 11:59:59 turned to 12:00:00 in 31st August? this time they animated it for you.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:35   Link #338
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Episode 6: Endless Eight V: "How I learned to stop worrying and love the summer"

Anyhow, ah whatever. I'll follow this series because the discussions are pretty funny. I suppose I have to be here to witness the greatest troll in anime history for better or for worse. Who knows how many new memes will be unleashed on the internets
I really am starting to see looping gags xD
Old 2009-07-17, 02:35   Link #339
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's popular in its target demographic, but is it really a "family show"? Plus that would generally require it to be picked up by one of the major networks, and so far Kadokawa has been publishing it on their own. I guess it could have been an option at some point, but maybe this is just what works best for the partners involved; they take more of a risk, but get a bitter chunk of the profits. In any case, it's pretty rare that you see any anime that isn't either well-established or from a super popular shounen manga franchise make it to prime time.
Maybe I'm just using American standards, but in terms of profanity, sex, and violence, Haruhi doesn't seem unfit for a prime time slot. And to be honest, aside from Haruhi's initial encounter with the Computer Society, I'm not sure there's been anything more risque in Haruhi than there's been in, say, Bleach or Naruto.

I understand that it started out as a very under the radar thing, but given how apparently mainstream Haruhi has become in Japan, you would think the major networks would be clamoring to get it on the air. Or am I overestimating the show's popularity because of it's prevalence in various internet...ugh..."memes" (I hate that word)?
Old 2009-07-17, 02:38   Link #340
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacundim View Post
Actually, I don't think they're rushing through the episodes. I can almost swear they're doing something more perverse: cut out earlier scenes in later repetitions to make you think that they're making space for the resolution at the end of the episode.

Last time around, they cut out Asahina's "classified information" speech; this time they cut out the yukata shopping and the batting center.

At the very least, each one of the last three episodes has done that to me: "Oh, they left out/rushed through X, that must mean it's going to end today." (And also, a lot of people here are just watching the episodes after reading the spoilers: ur doin it wrong, kids.)

Yes, he was...

Yep, I totally thought they were gonna end it. By rushing through all the scenes and then the triple take at the end.

It was so intense, I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation. They really did a good job on this EP
Closed Thread