AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-04, 00:26   Link #3041
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Civilization eh...

... Maybe I should reinstall Civ IV and make a civ with "Cranagan" as capital...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-08-04, 00:29   Link #3042
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

C&C4 is something to look forward to. As to Starcraft 2. And I think RA3 was e best thing since Westwood began.

It does look somewhat disappointing. So was Strikers; but somehow we've come to like it warts and all. Someday u might just find that u were tsundere for Force. I know I was for Empress Vivio n Keroko...
Old 2009-08-04, 00:41   Link #3043
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Possibly. I really disliked StrikerS at first, but it's grown on me. It didn't have the same love-at-first-viewing quality that the first two seasons had, though.
Old 2009-08-04, 00:56   Link #3044
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

In the end, this is the direction the series' mastermind wants it to go, and all the argument in the world - on both sides of the fence - won't change it.

On the bright side, the creator doesn't decide review scores. It's too early to start bringing down the hammer just yet. Kick back, pour a good drink...and wait.
Old 2009-08-04, 03:37   Link #3045
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is a case of Misaimed Author rather than Misaimed Fandom--those of us who liked the magical-girl elements could do without that variety of fanservice. Fanservice is all well and good--who doesn't like seeing cute girls, after all? But this is too much.

You have to leave room for plot after all. ^^;
Well, the vocal minority that said StrikerS was fail due to the de-lolifying loves this kind of stuff. I do hope Tsuzuki will pull his act together and get on with the real meat next chapter.

Quote:
It makes sense, yes, but for me it was the combination that was the most tasty and delicious. A's isn't my favorite season for no reason. It had the perfect, most light and fluffy mixture of magical-girl, paramilitary, mecha, sci-fantasy and action tropes.
Heh. Opinions vary once again. I liked A's because of the action and characters, but found the setting lacking. Too little of the military setting. Hardly more than the first season, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Woo! Thanks for the translation, this reads so much easier.

Heh. Page 21 had me cracking up in so many ways. Shamal's :3 when running by Fate what was about to happen, Fate going "You two better not stress yourself!" towards both Nanoha and Signum, Signum's worrywart reaction, and 'that thing.'

Hehe, that thing.

Also, can I say it? Can I? Can I? Ah, screw it, I can't hold back anymore.

Ability to dodge supersonic attack confirmed!

Ahh, that felt great.

...You know, if tournaments in a shounen-fied Nanoha all turn out like this, I wouldn't mind Nanoha getting shounen-fied some more.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Nagihiko is a whole 'nother level of awesome. :3

Quote:
Everything seems to be going in directions I don't like. PC gaming has fallen on its ass, far from the glories of the late 90s and early 2000s, dominated by grindfest MMORPGs and console ports. Space sims are all but gone, so are adventure games.
There's two space sims in the works. Only downside... they're both MMO's.

Quote:
One of the few remaining things I fangirl over has turned into just another generic boys' action story.
And that's what we -or at least I- are trying to clear up: That Nanoha hasn't turned into a generic boys action story. Like I said, there's always at least one kickass guy in a magical girl series. This time that guy is Thoma. It's not as if Force will suddenly revolve around Thoma and abandon Nanoha and the rest.
Old 2009-08-04, 03:53   Link #3046
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
But yes, I do think he intends to please both sides of his audience. Vivid for the more traditional magical girl fans, Force for the more military magical girl fans.

I personal pet-theory of mine is that these two manga are also to test the waters to see which of the two settings is more popular, in order to get a clear direction for a possible new anime season.
I remember this being discussed here back when Force and ViVid were announced and then when ch0 of Force came out. I thought that while Force will continue the StrikerS route ViVid will go back to A's style. But from what we saw up to now ViVid is nothing like A's. It has many times more fanservice than even S1 and it's main story revolve around martial arts. It feels more like magical Street Fighter with lolis.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:06   Link #3047
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well yes, it does have many times the fanservice, but it does follow the A's line. Not exactly, but then it would be boring if they did that. What they are following from the A's line is a more casual slice-of-life setting in which problems arise which the heroine must solve.

Then just replace swords and hammers with hand to had combat and you're all set.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:11   Link #3048
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iromaru View Post
It feels more like magical Street Fighter with lolis.
Someone ought to make a doujin fighting game with the Vivid cast. Vivio as the main character, the Numbers working for the TSAB, the Wolkies and the Forwards in the default character cast. Ingsvalt as final boss. And the Aces as unlockable secret characters. Fighting engine should be something between Touhou fighters and Arc Systems fighters to conciliate melee and ranged style.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:11   Link #3049
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It would help if they'd ditch the Scrappy Vivio and get someone else if they want to spin off a more traditional magical-girl story from the end of StrikerS.

Burning Arisa anyone? ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Someone ought to make a doujin fighting game with the Vivid cast. Vivio as the main character, the Numbers working for the TSAB, the Wolkies and the Forwards in the default character cast. Ingsvalt as final boss. And the Aces as unlockable secret characters. Fighting engine should be something between Touhou fighters and Arc Systems fighters to conciliate melee and ranged style.
Considering that some Spanish group has made a very professional-looking fighter (the name eludes me, something about Card Battles?) using MUGEN's engine, this could be done.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:42   Link #3050
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
It would help if they'd ditch the Scrappy Vivio and get someone else if they want to spin off a more traditional magical-girl story from the end of StrikerS.
*Reflexive Vivio fanboy reaction* Hell no! Don't touch my delicious hand-to-hand Vivio here.

I'm all up for Burning Arisa joining the fun though.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:53   Link #3051
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Considering that some Spanish group has made a very professional-looking fighter (the name eludes me, something about Card Battles?) using MUGEN's engine, this could be done.
As a old fighting game player, I REFUSE to acknowledge Mugen as a fighting game's engine. Fighter Maker, thanks to Vanguard Princess, and the engines of Melty Blood and Tasofro's productions are those I would like more for this.
Old 2009-08-04, 08:10   Link #3052
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riika View Post
Yo! Figured I'd de-lurk and start meddling in the conversation a bit
And about damn time. Where the heck were you hiding?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riika View Post
Yeaaaaahhhhh, not to be mean or anything here, but it's just like TK said a few pages back: Basically you're just whining 'cause the franchise's moving on to something different than your tastes. While understandable, it's not exactly the best for a discussion, 'specially since the topic's been so thoroughly talked for the last 10 pages or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It's quite sad, but the world doesn't always move in the direction that you want it to unless you really work hard for it, though even then shit happens - frustration is a best friend of mine when it comes to things I like and don't like. Also, a personal sob story isn't going to make your argument more right or wrong: I sympathize with how you feel, since I know the feeling quite well of wanting the "old golden days" back (I myself am a nostalgia freak), but couldn't you find new good things to like? Or at the least, enjoy new things for their own merits instead of comparing them to what has gone before?

And I do find that whining for the sake of whining isn't going to get you anywhere around these parts - if I hate something, I might say a word out or two, then move on and ignore it, it's that simple really. No one's saying you can't dislike Force or ViviD, just that this discussion's been going on in circles for so long that people are tired of it. Like I said, it's pointless to whine whether you or I like or hate something, because someone else with hate or like said thing as well.
Ouch....

I understand where you're both coming from, but that was a bit harsh...

Quote:
Er, MQ-ish thing of the StrikerS chapter thing.

Would do the first 2/3 with the HQ scans [and a better job at cleaning], but understaffed at work + me getting = I can't afford to get sick and need to rest more. OTL
Though I'll re-do it if no one else does when I can....
Spoiler:
I guess I really have to read the latest Force and Vivid chapters now with all this talk. >>;
Hey, thank you very much! I'll read it right away!

Quote:
Well yes, it does have many times the fanservice, but it does follow the A's line. Not exactly, but then it would be boring if they did that. What they are following from the A's line is a more casual slice-of-life setting in which problems arise which the heroine must solve.

Then just replace swords and hammers with hand to had combat and you're all set.
*Fuyu approves of all the above*

I'm rather happy that they've decided to develop Vivio into a useful character instead of just having her there for the purposes of giving the NanoFate shippers more reasons to roar. I loved her in Sankt Kaiser mode and I hope we'll get to see her going badass. Sure, she was powered by a relic and whatnot, but I was glad to see a boss that made trouble for Nanoha in StrikerS rather than the useless Book of Darkness in A's.

Although that last line reminds me of one of DezoPenguin's fics in which Vivio cringes from Vita's training "With giant hammers!" xD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
COMPUTES!

Do want! I think it would make an awesome game !

Quote:
*Reflexive Vivio fanboy reaction* Hell no! Don't touch my delicious hand-to-hand Vivio here.

I'm all up for Burning Arisa joining the fun though.
Lolll... Hand-to-hand Vivio... would really make for an interesting game if it was well developed. Especially if she pulls a Starlight Breaker-like move as a secret technique !

As for Burning Arisa...would that mean she'd have Engineer!Suzuka as backup?
Old 2009-08-04, 08:31   Link #3053
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Arisa = pyro
Suzuka = engineer
Nanoha = sniper
Fate = scout
Chrono = soldier
Hayate = heavy
Signum = spy
Vita = demoman
Shamal = medic

BRILLIANT. Someone with artistic talent must draw this!

Edit: I am totally picturing Fate running around whacking people with the baseball bat and shouting "BOINK!" And I am giggling.

Edit 2: ... aaaaand now I'm picturing Hayate with a minigun screaming "CRY SOME MORE!" while laughing maniacally. And giggling harder.
Old 2009-08-04, 09:09   Link #3054
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Team Fortress Midchilda Edition? COUNT ME IN

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-08-04, 09:28   Link #3055
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Although that last line reminds me of one of DezoPenguin's fics in which Vivio cringes from Vita's training "With giant hammers!" xD!
Giant hammers! 8D

I have to say that so far I like the direction Vivid is going. Even the fanservice doesn't make me squirm all that much. It has a lot of that "slice of life" feel from the first two seasons, but it's different because 1.) it's set on a magical world and 2.) it explores more of the Belkan history and society, which I've been curious about since A's rolled around.

Haven't checked out the raws of Force yet because my computer acts weird with manga downloads and doesn't show them right, but I've seen some scans on other websites and I have to admit, I like the feel of it; it's different, but it still has that Nanoha touch to it, at least in my opinion.
Old 2009-08-04, 09:31   Link #3056
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Team Fortress Midchilda Edition? COUNT ME IN
Ah ha ha ha ha, how typical

On another note, I've read the special chapter for After Days, and I've gotta say...

WHY DON'T THEY MAKE US A SPECIAL WITH THIS FIGHT ANIMATED?!!!

It would be SO awesome, I'm sure some people here would cry manly tears (). I'm seriously reconsidering making that joke (signed petition anyone?) a reality right now

And I agree with Keroko-kun, if they're going to make more fights like this one, I wouldn't mind it if Nanoha were to become more shounen

Also: Am I the only one who thinks Signum is a bit mean for calling Nanoha "That thing" and "You monster"? Especially since she's the scary one when she was firing that Sturm Falken

@RadiantBeam: LOL at giant hammers xD
Old 2009-08-04, 10:00   Link #3057
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Just read the scans om you know where.
- so we have the name of the person Vivio was clone form, Regina Olive.
- i got the feeling that in the future the Numbers are going to ask to be Vivio's personal bodyguards. Like the wolkies with Hayate.
Old 2009-08-04, 10:18   Link #3058
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Does anyone have a translation to Force yet?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2009-08-04, 10:29   Link #3059
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Just read the scans om you know where.
- so we have the name of the person Vivio was clone form, Regina Olive.
- i got the feeling that in the future the Numbers are going to ask to be Vivio's personal bodyguards. Like the wolkies with Hayate.
I like this name thing, it's very nice to have one. But... Regina? (Reggy for short)

BTW: page 21, Nanoha's "that Thing" Expression is the cutest thing I've seen in a while. Makes me really wanna "take her home"

BTW BTW: DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT HUMAN ZAFFY ON THE LAST PAGE WAS IN NEW CLOTHES! *Dies happy*
Old 2009-08-04, 10:54   Link #3060
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

another thought, it is usually a cliche of scifi that clones had residual memories of the original. So how much of Regina's memories does Vivio have and when does she get access to it?

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen