Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-11-12, 12:41   Link #1
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking (Movie) Snow White and the Huntsman

~~~~ ~~~~

So... can I expect to see the seven Dwarves smashing faces with their warhammers?

Natch.
Old 2011-11-12, 13:01   Link #2
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

I saw the preview for this, and i had no idea what to make of it. Charlize Theron, good. Chris Hemsworth, good. Kristen Stewart, /wrists. See the difference there?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 17:08   Link #3
james0246

^LOL, Kristen Stewart doesn't even really do anything in the trailer (besides look befuddled ). Still, Theron looked hot (and she seemed to dig the ridiculousness of the part), Hemsworth looked droolworthy, and some of the special effects and potential battles looked cool. It was a cookie-cutter/by-the-number trailer, but I didn't walk away uninterested.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 17:12   Link #4
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I like how (at least judging from the trailer) they have a focus on the evil witch.
The evil characters are always more interesting.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:22   Link #5
subwaygyal

now they just destroying children's novels
subwaygyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 05:46   Link #6
Graskell
invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwaygyal View Post
now they just destroying children's novels
Snow White wasn't a novel. It was a orally transmitted folk tale collected by the brothers Grimm. Furthermore, like most fairy tales, the original versions weren't aimed primarily at children (except in a "scare 'em straight" sort of way) and tended to be quite dark with plenty of subtext that would fly over the heads of young folk.

That said, the trailer seems promising but the casting of Kristen Stewart in a major role does little to inspire confidence.
Old 2011-11-27, 10:59   Link #7
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This has some fantastic visual concepts behind it. I especially like the look of the magic mirror. I like the apparent focus on the queen (she looks like she could be a good villain), and there's a possibility of the huntsman being Snow White's love interest, which I much prefer to see rather than some random prince out of nowhere.

But really, just from seeing the trailer, this looks like it is headed in the wrong direction. What's up with the big armies going to battle? What's up with the huge monsters? That stuff is unnecessary and inappropriate for the tale of Snow White. It just pointlessly cranks up the budget and stretches out the film longer than it should be. I don't want every other Hollywood fantasy film to be an epic war tale.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 14:15   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

My question is, why Hollywood suddenly go crazy over the fairy tail adaptations? Earlier we got Red Riding Hood then Beastly that comes from Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty by director Julia Leigh (good movie, btw) and another adaptation of Snow White (forgot the title) other than the one mentioned in this thread. Not to mention movies like Clash of the Titans and Immortals. Why the sudden fever?

Also, Kristen Stewart actually CAN act if she really try like what she has done in Adventureland. And no, I'm NOT twihards. If a guy like me became twihards, that would be the 8th wonder of the world.
Old 2011-11-28, 00:36   Link #9
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
My question is, why Hollywood suddenly go crazy over the fairy tail adaptations? Earlier we got Red Riding Hood then Beastly that comes from Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty by director Julia Leigh (good movie, btw) and another adaptation of Snow White (forgot the title) other than the one mentioned in this thread. Not to mention movies like Clash of the Titans and Immortals. Why the sudden fever?
Perhaps they're running out of TV shows to turn into movies.
Old 2011-11-28, 02:32   Link #10
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Also, Kristen Stewart actually CAN act if she really try like what she has done in Adventureland. And no, I'm NOT twihards. If a guy like me became twihards, that would be the 8th wonder of the world.
I don't think its that hard to imagine. Manly men can become Twilight fans.

In regards to the trailer, that's a whole lot of action for Snow White and the queen is so evil. She makes me wanna go out and lift weights. OMG,I'M SO MAD NOW!!!

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 03:36   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Invader View Post
I don't think its that hard to imagine. Manly men can become Twilight fans.
Yes, any man has the possibility to become twihards, but when you consider my personallity traits which is: not a Twilight fan at all, that became near impossible . I do said "a guy like me" in my previous post, not just any other guy, right?

And yeah. Hollywood definitely lacking in original ideas or they're just afraid of the possiblity of wasting money for original movies. In that case, why not properly adapt some fine comic books out there so that in 10 years or so, we can have a Justice League Unlimited or any other BIG cross-over movies like that? Some of those comic-book heroes don't need hundreds of millions of dollars to be made into movies. Just a decent story/plot and little memorable action will do the job. And please don't ruin more anime franchises.
Old 2011-11-28, 04:12   Link #12
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Yes, any man has the possibility to become twihards, but when you consider my personallity traits which is: not a Twilight fan at all, that became near impossible . I do said "a guy like me" in my previous post, not just any other guy, right?
I bet you haven't even given Twilight a chance yet. You could stab someone in the eye with a ballpen if they insult Twilight and you'll be perfectly excused. I don't think its impossible either since you like Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh has Zombie Werewolf and Vampire Lord plus the numerous Earth-attributed female warrior cards who could all replace Bella.

I certainly do hope they plan for a Justice League movie. That would be so exciting but I might not watch it depending on the actors/actresses they'll star.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 04:44   Link #13
Samari
World's Greatest

This movie looks cool. I don't like the casting of Stewart as Snow White from a "looks" standpoint, but I do like Theron and Hemsworth as performers. I'll probably check it out.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 06:12   Link #14
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Invader View Post
I bet you haven't even given Twilight a chance yet. You could stab someone in the eye with a ballpen if they insult Twilight and you'll be perfectly excused. I don't think its impossible either since you like Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh has Zombie Werewolf and Vampire Lord plus the numerous Earth-attributed female warrior cards who could all replace Bella.
I talked like that because I actually gave the movies a chance coz saying you hate something without knowing it, is stupid. Yes, I've seen them. The first is okay for a low-budget teenage drama with mithycal spices (if not boring). The second one is atrocious. Watching it is a torture (for me). The third is the best of the bunch which is not saying so much, but this time, I can actually enjoy watching it. I haven't seen the newest yet.

So, why do I like Yu-Gi-Oh! but hate Twilight? Yes, both has cheesy & campy concept but in Yu-Gi-Oh!, the main characters do not brood, flirt and being melancholic most of the time and actually DO some action.

To be honest, I don't want to debate about Twilight vs Yu-Gi-Oh! in this thread since this is a thread for Snow White.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this Snow White adaptation.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-11-28 at 22:45. Reason: lotsa typo
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 08:14   Link #15
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Yep, it's quite evident.

Hollywood is running out of creative juice.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 18:33   Link #16
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hollywood running out of original ideas came to me quite some time ago. The moment I saw Beastly's preview. I knew at that moment they are just going to revamp many of the children stories to get more money without risking the money on anything original like Obelisk ze Tormentor said.
Old 2011-11-29, 18:51   Link #17
Alchemist007
*Author

The acting from the first Twilight film was so atrocious, I had to assume Stewart and Pattinson were playing their own sort of joke because they didn't care for script.
Old 2011-11-29, 22:50   Link #18
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
I'm cautiously looking forward to this movie, actually. I love fairy tales, I love people fighting in armour and killing each other, and I love evil queens with power...so if the movie is even remotely "decent" I think I'll enjoy it .

I'm also quite curious as to where they're tweaking the classic "Snow White" story to make this one. I wonder where they're going to subvert and where they're going to play the story straight.

Quote:
Also, Kristen Stewart actually CAN act if she really try like what she has done in Adventureland.
Agreed, I've seen her in Panic Room and Speak, and she's actually really good. Her acting in Twilight (and Robert Pattinson's acting too) was brilliant...for a comedy. Which is how I'm viewing the entire movie series .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 00:14   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It *looks* like they're dropping the royalty angle on Snow so she can flirt with the Huntsman... and that the Queen is sucking the lives out young women to stay beautiful - unclear why Snow wouldn't just be her next victim.

That's just reading cold off of the trailer.
Old 2011-11-30, 00:54   Link #20
HasuMasu
*Artist

Running out of ideas? Hey hey, the number of things we can come up with aren't infinite, despite what they would have you believe.