AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 14:06   Link #3801
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Since it is very normal in the light-novel industry, it is not strange at all. This isn't new.
evidence?

also noted that i am okay if they have 10a and 10b sharing same story.

however, it will be strange if they called it 10a, 10b AND 9 if they share same story.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 17:34   Link #3802
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Amazon has created their listing for the tenth volume. It has no details other than the release date. The title of the listing translates to The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya (First Part・Final Part Simultaneous Release) so it's highly probable that they will be sold as a set (or at least by retailers) instead of separating the books.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 02:09   Link #3803
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
evidence?

also noted that i am okay if they have 10a and 10b sharing same story.

however, it will be strange if they called it 10a, 10b AND 9 if they share same story.
Evidence? 10 year old books on my shelf.
Old 2011-01-06, 19:35   Link #3804
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Evidence? 10 year old books on my shelf.
ok what is the name of the book?

if you can a picture.

Old 2011-01-07, 09:08   Link #3805
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
ok what is the name of the book?

if you can a picture.
A Taiwanese edition of the Count of Monte Cristo, split into two books because otherwise it would fall apart from the weight.

And I am also not the only person on this board who say this is common. So you are outnumbered here. And what is the purpose of you thinking it is "strange" for a long book to split into two parts? In the extreme example, there is a reason Encyclopaedias are split into multiple volumes instead of being one giant book, you know.

What, you think I would lie to you? For what? Some kind of ancient conspiracy? Or to make fun of you? If you somehow think it is impossible that one books can be released in two parts for technical reasons, then keep believing that. No skin off my nose.

EDIT: Haven't got a camera, but here is a more recent edition of Taiwanese Count of Monte Cristo. This time in FOUR separate volumes rather than one. One book, in four parts. Good enough?
Old 2011-01-07, 10:02   Link #3806
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
A Taiwanese edition of the Count of Monte Cristo, split into two books because otherwise it would fall apart from the weight.

And I am also not the only person on this board who say this is common. So you are outnumbered here. And what is the purpose of you thinking it is "strange" for a long book to split into two parts? In the extreme example, there is a reason Encyclopaedias are split into multiple volumes instead of being one giant book, you know.

What, you think I would lie to you? For what? Some kind of ancient conspiracy? Or to make fun of you? If you somehow think it is impossible that one books can be released in two parts for technical reasons, then keep believing that. No skin off my nose.

EDIT: Haven't got a camera, but here is a more recent edition of Taiwanese Count of Monte Cristo. This time in FOUR separate volumes rather than one. One book, in four parts. Good enough?
not saying you lie thought just want the evidence.

The Count of Monte Cristo was a big book and i understand that it need to be split.

but i have no complain with that since they technically one story and they named they book part 1, part 2 etc . no complain

but this haruhi is different. both Dissociation and Surprised share same story. it will very awkward if they put they story on vol 9 , 10a and 10b. instead of 9, 10, and 11

oh well if that they decision. just be it. i just feel it a bit awkward

sorry to drag you for long debate about personal taste

either way i still interested on next haruhi story and wondering what happend

Last edited by RRW; 2011-01-07 at 10:23.
Old 2011-01-07, 13:16   Link #3807
assirra

Hello there.
I watched the anime a year or so ago and was interested in getting more of it.
The thing is, after searching for the whole day i noticed there are both a novel and manga series.
are there any differences or how exactly is the adeption and if so, wich is the one to go for?
assirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 15:14   Link #3808
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by assirra View Post
Hello there.
The thing is, after searching for the whole day i noticed there are both a novel and manga series.
are there any differences or how exactly is the adeption and if so, wich is the one to go for?
From what I understand, both the anime and manga are based on the novels, which are the original work. The anime adaptation is pretty spot on, but the studio does take some liberties in order to smooth out the rough spots.
Old 2011-01-07, 16:51   Link #3809
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by assirra View Post
Hello there.
The manga follows the novels in terms of canon but has additional chapters that aren't in either the novels or anime.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 18:09   Link #3810
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Just finished the Disappearance novel.

Spoiler for just in case....:

Downloading the movie now. Can't wait to see it in a visual form since this is the first of the series where I've read the novel before seeing the manga/anime adaptation.
Old 2011-01-07, 18:16   Link #3811
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

TL;DR:

Novels: 100% Canon
Anime: ~95% Canon
Manga: ~85-90% Canon

For all three, overall plot is the same...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2011-01-08 at 03:12.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 19:00   Link #3812
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post

Thanks for the heads-up even though I've tons of reading to catch up on! At least now I don't have to watch Chizuru on Squid Girl for my Asakura buzz anymore! . I hope there's a lot more background on the hyper-entities too. But I find it funny some that the manga should be seen as even more "canon" than the anime, being spun right off the novel I suppose.
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 03:33   Link #3813
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
Thanks for the heads-up even though I've tons of reading to catch up on! At least now I don't have to watch Chizuru on Squid Girl for my Asakura buzz anymore! . I hope there's a lot more background on the hyper-entities too. But I find it funny some that the manga should be seen as even more "canon" than the anime, being spun right off the novel I suppose.
Well, the only blatant things that aren't really canon in the anime are the events at the Lone Island and the change on the number of iterations of E8. Day of Sagittarius and Live Alive seem quite different than in the novel, but that's due to embellishments (the "game world" in DoS and the songs in LA) that are glossed over in the novels and don't really affect canon. Someday in the Rain is a murky area, as it was scripted by Tanigawa and eventually published in The Sneaker (and is not a clear omake, like the Haruhi Theater shorts), so even though it never made it into a novel, many consider it canon.

The manga, however, can play a little more fast and loose with canon, mostly in the area of glossing over and embellishment, pretty much at the whim of the mangaka. I admit that I don't know how much of that is at the direction of the original author.

It should be noted that both are far closer to the source material than most adaptations. We're talking non-filler episodes of Bleach level here...
Old 2011-01-09, 02:18   Link #3814
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Off-topic (somewhat), but this is pissing me off.

Can someone find a way to get people to stop editing the Kyon page on Haruhi Wiki to say "ZOMFG KYON'S REAL NAME IS KENGO SHIGEMURA" (okay it's not exactly written like that, but most people who edit it have no sense of grammar). This is getting ridiculous.

The anime, which isn't even the original (everyone forgets the novels apparently), apparently listed one of the KyoAni editors in the credits for Episode 00 and now everyone thinks that KyoAni would be so stupid to "hide" Kyon's "real name" in said credits, and now this is apparently truth? Seriously, people should be smarter than this.
It's a wiki. Any idiot with a lick of free time can edit it, so that's who usually ends up doing it.

Personally, I'm usually more worried about the people who insert fanon into the wikis, since it usually doesn't stick out as much as the idiocy you're referring to, but is just as wrong.
Old 2011-01-13, 05:17   Link #3815
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
The anime, which isn't even the original (everyone forgets the novels apparently), apparently listed one of the KyoAni editors in the credits for Episode 00 and now everyone thinks that KyoAni would be so stupid to "hide" Kyon's "real name" in said credits, and now this is apparently truth? Seriously, people should be smarter than this.
Adaptation Displacement
Old 2011-01-13, 08:43   Link #3816
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post

Maybe it's just me -- and I haven't read it yet, but I'd like it better if it were the same Asakura who got beamed up after the battle, returned and repentent and maybe a little more mysterious or otherwise any story with "her" in it is just a story with a different girl with her face. I think the author could've run miles with Asakura (maybe even a spin-off of a soul-searching alien), especially what all the wasted space of Boring Eight.
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 06:02   Link #3817
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
Maybe it's just me -- and I haven't read it yet, but I'd like it better if it were the same Asakura who got beamed up after the battle, returned and repentent and maybe a little more mysterious or otherwise any story with "her" in it is just a story with a different girl with her face. I think the author could've run miles with Asakura (maybe even a spin-off of a soul-searching alien), especially what all the wasted space of Boring Eight.
Ya know, considering she's just a cold calculating machine with a friendly exterior as a farce, being Yuki's sidekick is just about as far as she will go story wise. I mean, she's attractive and all, but she's like a damn TERMINATOR for goodness sakes. If I need a weird cyborg alien in my story, i'll go with Yuki any day.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 09:13   Link #3818
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Ya know, considering she's just a cold calculating machine with a friendly exterior as a farce, being Yuki's sidekick is just about as far as she will go story wise. I mean, she's attractive and all, but she's like a damn TERMINATOR for goodness sakes. If I need a weird cyborg alien in my story, i'll go with Yuki any day.
I think the poster is wishing that Asakura was more than a terminator. We know she's capble of opinions, at least, and the author wanted Asakura fleshed out instead of being left as a plot device.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 09:34   Link #3819
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
TL;DR:

Novels: 100% Canon

For all three, overall plot is the same...
Am I ok for chuckling at this??
Old 2011-01-26, 11:21   Link #3820
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Two points of interest for the thread:

1. On this Saturday in Japan, more information will be revealed about The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya, likely finishing the conversation about volume numbers and perhaps providing details about plot summary, page totals, cover art, etc. I will be monitoring all official pages and will update with news.

2. The cover characters for the 13th manga volume have been revealed in this month's Shounen Ace:

On the right is Kyon's sister and on the left is Miyokichi since this volume contains the part of Editor in Chief★Straight ahead! where she is featured.

Edit: I had "left" before re-typing Miyokichi's description. Thanks Crowkenobi!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2011-01-26 at 12:02.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga