AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-07-30, 17:06   Link #14881
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
He's been jealous of Battler since he was young.

He revealed in Episode 6 that he hated women before he found love through Shannon. And Battler left him alone with 3 women for 6 years. He could be completely bitter towards him because of that. [30]

As shown above he has certain occult beliefs or at least a basic understanding of them that's enough to manipulate certain people and has a certain ability to direct groups.
Now THIS is a theory. 8)

Just to expand a bit on what you said there, I remember George saying that he was jealous of Battler because he could so easily speak to Shannon and Jessica.

And maybe that's why he dabbled in magic; to give him success with the opposite sex. And that's why it's proper for the fanartists to draw him like a perverted otaku-ish onii-chan who goes around naked all the time.

Quote:
So these are my 30 pieces of evidence suggesting the George is the culprit
Maybe his full name is Ushiromiya Jyuudasu Jyoji. 8) EDIT: Apparently it's just 'Yuda' in Japanese. (ユダ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh
With the meta world stuff in the background it looks like the Guy in blue is definitely a meta world character....

If he's not Van Dine I'm betting he's the 45th demon Vine.
Or maybe Ryuukishi will be clever and shorten the name down.
After all, Van Dine.
Or maybe Ryuukishi will be clever and shorten the name down.
After all, Van Dine.
I think you guys may have called it exactly...
"He can tell present, past and future, discover witches and hidden things, create storms and make the water rough by means of them, bring down walls and build towers."

Last edited by Kylon99; 2010-07-30 at 17:26.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:06   Link #14882
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Wow Judoh... wow. Even if someone doesn't agree with you on George being the culprit, anyone's got to give you credit for all this work, marking your evidence and organizing it very well.
It's also excellent support for the George Culprit Theory. I love it.
Yeah it took me two days to finish it. I was worried that way I presented might be a bit blaring, but it's not?

Thanks by the way.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:11   Link #14883
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Yeah it took me two days to finish it. I was worried that way I presented might be a bit blaring, but it's not?

Thanks by the way.
It is a bit, but that's not bad... unless what seems to be the most popular culprit theory in the fanbase is wrong.
If by some stretch of cruel logic, Ryuukishi ends up writing someone completely unexpected as the culprit, then the blaring evidence you presented is only proof you fell for a cleverly designed troll he made.
However, if you are correct, which most people agree with, then the fact that you could provide evidence for your claims like you did is proof the information was right there, out in the open, and that people who couldn't see it were just looking the wrong way.
So since I'm confident the George Culprit Theory is correct, I find the blaring presentation good.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:36   Link #14884
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

About the only people left as dark horse culprit candidates at this point are Hideyoshi and Gohda, which is why I proposed the "Hideyoshi and Gohda are secret lovers committed to murdering those who would not understand their love" theory.

Very non-seriously.

Or... did I?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:43   Link #14886
Judoh
Mystery buff

I'm not looking for the Dark horse I'm looking for the Pale horse
Old 2010-07-30, 17:44   Link #14887
Phasoms

I think I may have some ideas to add into the mix. I've been lurking on these forums for a long time now, but never felt I had anything too compelling to contribute -- at least, nothing that hadn't already been theorized or thrown about.

In general, there seems to be a strong divide in what people believe to be the 'solution' or 'truth' behind Umineko. There are those that believe Shkanon to be the most fitting solution, and those that find it to be quite illogical and unreasonable, or even lazy or too obvious of Ryukishi. I was somewhere in the middle of those two factions for a long time. After reading Episode 6 I felt more inclined to believe the Shkanon explanation of things, but here's where I became stuck in my thinking.

If Shannon and Kanon are the same person, then some bizarre and illogical inconsistencies arise in the story. I went back and tried to explain each game with a single Sayo acting and fooling everyone that she was two different servants. It just doesn’t fit. Nearly all of these inconsistencies have been debated over here, so I’ll assume everyone is fairly familiar with the failings of the Shkanon theory. My problem is that, thematically, it fits quite well, and there are a large number of hints provided throughout the story to support it. I cannot find any other culprit theory that seems to fit the core themes of the story nearly as well as Shkanon. So I came up with the following explanation which I haven’t seen mentioned. If this has been brought up before, I apologize for rehashing it. I follow the discussion fairly closely, so hopefully I haven’t overlooked it.

Let me first say that I am not convinced this is the answer, nor will I claim to have found the truth. This is only an idea, a possibility. I put it out there in hopes that others may see something in it, or shoot it down and propose something more fitting. I will be the first to admit that Shkanon may very well skillful misdirection.

Spoiler for Beatrice's Heart:

All of that aside, there are a few other things I have noticed but not seen pointed out on these boards. They are:

Spoiler for Tomitake Flash:

Spoiler for Why is Genji furniture?:
Phasoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:46   Link #14888
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
About the only people left as dark horse culprit candidates at this point are Hideyoshi and Gohda, which is why I proposed the "Hideyoshi and Gohda are secret lovers committed to murdering those who would not understand their love" theory.

Very non-seriously.

Or... did I?
Oddly enough, awhile back-probably hundreds of pages ago now- somebody pointed out that, going by a theory that escapes me, Hideyoshi and Kyrie were the most likely candidates to plant a bomb. I ended building a "Kyrie and Hideyoshi are jealous of not being able to wear the eagle and are going to set off a bomb so everyone can get along" theory from it.

Looking at the fourth through sixth twilights of EP3, it becomes...slighty plausible. Slightly.
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 17:52   Link #14889
Phasoms

Quote:
So I guess I'm going to put together my George culprit theory now. I'm not going to spend my time on the how for the murders because getting around the red and explaining things away is pretty easy (and something Battler says in game 5 [1] gives me an excuse to not worry about it) So I'm going to focus on hints that make him capable of being the culprit as a narrative and a person instead. So rather than a theory to get around the red think of this as a character analysis.

The first part is George's interest in the occult/magic.

Spoiler for space:

The second is George is the only person explicitly shown to be capable of Familicide.
Spoiler for space:

Third he has tons of motive.
Spoiler for space:

So these are my 30 pieces of evidence suggesting the George is the culprit

<So long have a nice day>
I think some of the best evidence that George may be the culprit is the fact that he's Eva's son. It's mentioned quite a few times in the story that he was raised and molded to be the Ushiromiya head. It's quite possible he developed a severe entitlement complex, maybe even mixed with some resentment for how he was raised.
Phasoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 18:01   Link #14890
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasoms View Post
I think some of the best evidence that George may be the culprit is the fact that he's Eva's son. It's mentioned quite a few times in the story that he was raised and molded to be the Ushiromiya head. It's quite possible he developed a severe entitlement complex, maybe even mixed with some resentment for how he was raised.
Actually I don't doubt that. Episode 6 makes it pretty clear that he expected a lot of things to go his way when they didn't. Like he expected to be the person who was popular with girls because he was gentlemanly while Battler wasn't. It didn't turn out to be true and he realized that he was wrong, but that doesn't mean he won't make the same type of mistake about other things with an entitlement complex.

He makes it pretty clear in this episode that he doesn't want to be the Ushiromiya family head if he can help it though and he has a grudge against his mother for pushing him to grow up for that. So I've crossed that out as a motive.
Old 2010-07-30, 18:09   Link #14891
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, if he gets rid of the family he's essentially creating a new family in his own image, as Kinzo did. If he looks up to the fortunate circumstances that put Kinzo in a position of such great power, he might be willing to engineer a scenario in which he (and maybe Shannon) is the sole survivor of another family-erasing disaster.

However, as George has yet to survive as far as we know, it would appear his plan to that effect never works out.

Old 2010-07-30, 18:09   Link #14892
UsagiTenpura
Artist

The problem with George culprit theory is... arc 1.
He could've done the first twilight, and we could stretch things so that he also could've done the second one.

But for him to have possibly done the second one he would've needed some of the servants as accomplices.

As for twilight 4-5-6-7-8 + Natsuhi's death, they're completely impossible for him... unless he knows magic lol...
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 18:10   Link #14893
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
He could've done the first twilight, and we could stretch things so that he also could've done the second one.

But for him to have possibly done the second one he would've needed some of the servants as accomplices.

As for twilight 4-5-6-7-8 + Natsuhi's death, they're completely impossible for him... unless he knows magic lol...
If Shannon is Beatrice and manipulated by him, it's pretty easy. Shannon/Kanon are the most suspicious people in ep1 to begin with, and both wind up "dead."

Old 2010-07-30, 18:16   Link #14894
UsagiTenpura
Artist

A "George is the culprit but Shannontrice is the killer" theory, that could work but I somehow doubt it. If George was "in" on the plan there's absolutely no reason to make him "unable to watch the possibly nonexistant corpse of Shannon" in twilight 1, arc 1.

I'd expect anyway something better then "Beato is the weapon and thus free of real guilt" while throwing all the hatred on a single character. Mind you I really don't like George and wouldn't mind if all these vices fell on him, but I think that's a wrong way to think about it.

After all this is a work of the creator of Higurashi, who's "lesson" was to teach us it's wrong to "blame all the sins" on a single person. Miss culprit wasn't responsible for half the bad things that happened in any given arcs anyway.

The worst character with the worst personality in Higurashi was probably Houjou Teppei. I think most of the "that person is a bad person and thus could be the culprit" theories I read makes me feel like we're all trying to find the Teppei of Umineko. The problem is even if we do, Teppei didn't kill anyone in Higurashi.

Edit Add : Also what? Battler's sin is being envied by George? How is that even a sin. That's George's sin.
Old 2010-07-30, 18:32   Link #14895
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Edit Add : Also what? Battler's sin is being envied by George? How is that even a sin. That's George's sin.
Nobody is saying that. But it's one of George's motives.

EDIT: And the reason I pin him as a culprit is not because he's easily blamed or easy to hate. If you read my theory I think it's possible for him to control a lot of things that happen and set up a lot of the early mysteries, and be a murderer in some instances but that's it. I don't hate George nobody does it's exactly because he's easily liked by everyone that makes him unexpected.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-07-30 at 18:45.
Old 2010-07-30, 18:36   Link #14896
Kylon99

Quote:
EDIT: Need to quote the right person.. this thread moves too fast for me while I'm at work. 8)

Wait... just because George is the culprit does not mean he has responsible for all the killings. We know there are other killers out there, specifically Eva in EP3. There's also the Midnight Bomber and possibly Kanon, who may or may not be manipulated by George.

(Kanon seems to be rebelling against something; so it feels like he's rejecting some kind of coercion or manipulation instead.)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 18:38   Link #14897
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
A "George is the culprit but Shannontrice is the killer" theory, that could work but I somehow doubt it. If George was "in" on the plan there's absolutely no reason to make him "unable to watch the possibly nonexistant corpse of Shannon" in twilight 1, arc 1.
Pretending, in order to avoid suspicion?
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 18:46   Link #14898
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Nontheless...
Ushiromiya Battler has a sin
Because of your sin, people die.
Due to your sin, a great many humans on this island die.
No one escapes, all die.

I don't think I'm willing to accept a theory not directly related to that.

Adding stuff....
Kyrie, Rosa, Natsuhi, George are people who said they'd be ready to kill in different circumstances.
Hideyoshi said he fired a gun lately and it seemingly wasn't in a firing range.

I like the idea that many people can kill and depending on the atmosphere/situation created in various arcs they do various of the murders.
However the atmosphere that causes all this to be possible in the first place is due to Beatrice's return, which would be related to Battler's return.

For instance something like...
Beato awakens because Battler returns, for a set of possible reasons decides to send the letter at the dinner concerning the epitaph. The situations that occurs afterward culminate in the fake or not fake first twilights, and from that point the results guides any of the possible killer to kill any of the others.
Old 2010-07-30, 18:48   Link #14899
Judoh
Mystery buff

It is related I gave some possibilities previously, but I don't know exactly who it's against.

Where does it say the sin has to be against the culprit? Why can't the culprit be affected by a sin against someone he cares about like Shannon or Maria? Where does it say the person he sinned against even remembers the sin?
Old 2010-07-30, 18:49   Link #14900
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Well, the whole "Battler never comes back to Shannon = Battler's sin" theory seems relatively well-accepted. Riffing on that, if Shannon is the killer and being manipulated by George, then if Battler had stayed around, he could have prevented this from happening.

Just a possible way to connect these issues.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote