Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-12, 00:33   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Keep in mind that most manga series made to come out with or before an anime original show generally suck ass. Case in point, Escaflowne. Another in RahXephon. Want more? Try Code Geass 2 or 3 manga series. I expect Heroman won't be much different... and the trailer for Heroman rocks.

http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/introduction/heroman/

That's a silly thing to say, you're a tad naive if you don't think companies would be rushing to fill that hypothetical void.
Do you think they'll even be able to profit from it within a reasonable time frame though? And without the right name brand to boot? Pick the right things to adapt and maybe somebody could pick up right where they left off, but otherwise I can't see it being the kind of hand off you are suggesting. Indeed though a clamour to fill that void could result in something even more unseemly.

Sigh...even still words fail me on how else to express and clarify how unrelentingly shitty I find it that a company that embodies the lack of creativity I've come to loathe from Japanese media in this age is more or less dictating the terms for what sells and what doesn't in the animated TV series arena. Thank god the companies whose works I truly do enjoy most of all have so much extra capital that they can afford to go it alone with regular updates of standalone OVA's and Movies or even pull out their own original creation seemingly whenever they feel like it.

I basically kind of feel like giving up on expecting much from the TV side of anime for now though. The vast majority (approaching 100%) of the anime entries that I've really enjoyed in the past year or so have been either OVAs or animated movies. This means I'm looking for those to carry anime for me until something changes with what gets the green light and what doesn't in the TV arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The creativity problem comes from the industry growing perfectly comfortable with churning out the SAME OLD moe - mecha - shounen - harem shit. The industry need a sledgehammer swing in the balls, look elsewhere and give little explored genres a try. I mean, when was the last time you have seen the anime equivalent of the Godfather, a Tom Clancy-like story or the Mars trilogy?

For this season, I would likely check Night Raid, Rainbow and House of the Five Leaves.

While waiting for the Highschool of the Dead anime and Walking Dead TV series.
I've kind of just been watching Kurosawa films and reading Tezuka manga for the past month or so. Does that qualify?

Actually though when you redirect my attention to these titles the season is starting to look a lot better than the last one. Rainbow and Night Raid stand out exclusively because a) I love period stories and b) I like stories that feature some sort of struggle, be it war or what is described in Rainbow's summary.

One more general question for the gallery...how many Da Capo anime series have there been at this point? Am I imagining things or is it just like it's own time slot now?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-03-12 at 00:43.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 09:54   Link #122
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
yo dawgs, 90% of anime--90% of everything, actually, is shit, it has always been

hope that helps

For serious this time: The golden age of anime has started post-2000. We're still in it, I believe. We've only had one or two really really shitty years (2009, and maybe 2008)--but if you expect each and every one of the 30 series that come out every 6 months to be a groundbreaking masterpiece... well I don't know what to think.

(And, no, before you mention it, pre-2000 years had an equal proportion of shit series, the only difference being the amount of anime produced--which meant it was even worse since quantitatively you got even less worthwhile anime to watch).

I for one am happy to have 7 series that look interesting enough to check out this season, considering I've barely had a choice of 1 or 2 per season last year. In fact, both quantitatively and proportionally, there are notably LESS moeblob series this season than the average last year.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 10:52   Link #123
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
yo dawgs, 90% of anime--90% of everything, actually, is shit, it has always been
No it isn't and no it hasn't.
Sturgeon's law is just a load of elitist hogwash spouted by people with egos as big as the sun when they want to feel superior to the ignorant plebes because their souls have been drained of the capacity for normal joy and this is the only way they can meek out the strength to go on in their miserable little lives.

Anyway I really hate Sturgeon's law.
As for me since I'm not one of these people I'm mainly looking forward to the new season of Shin Koihime Musou. I'm currently watching it now and am finding it most enjoyable.
For me titles are subject to availability but the shows I'd really like to watch are Hakuouki and Uragiri etc. Angel Beats and Night raid are going to be interesting. I would like to see them and see if that's a good thing.
There do seem to be a lot of sequels to mostly shows I haven't watched though.
Old 2010-03-12, 10:55   Link #124
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
No it isn't and no it hasn't.
Sturgeon's law is just a load of elitist hogwash spouted by people with egos as big as the sun when they want to feel superior to the ignorant plebes because their souls have been drained of the capacity for normal joy and this is the only way they can meek out the strength to go on in their miserable little lives.
i like you too

btw, you might want to brush up on your definitions of "subjectivity" and "opinion" or either you're going to have a very hard time in your life mah boy

In other words:

Quote:
if you expect each and every one of the 30 series that come out every 6 months to be a groundbreaking masterpiece... well I don't know what to think.

Old 2010-03-15, 06:54   Link #125
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You know, I think the anti-moe/ecchi crowd needs to realize that there are non-moe, non-ecchi series being produced every single freaking season as much as the next moe fan who is tired of being ragged on for "ruining anime", but are we seriously having this debate again? I can't be the only one who is starting to feel a more than a little burnt out regarding such topics. I don't mind if someone has some well reasoned insights to post, but I don't want to hear the same old arguments repeated over and over again.
This.

I wonder how many anti-mecha fans complained in the 1990's, when that was pretty much the prevalent genre.

That people don't like moe, ecchi, etc. is fine and dandy, but do they really need to point it out to me each and every time? While I can sometimes understand why people are put off by a certain show, they're not all as 'bad' as that and just because they (or even a majority of anime watchers) hate it, doesn't mean I should too. And I think the haters are bit too focused in getting others to hate what they hate. It's like a person is not allowed to have his/her opinion anymore.

Anyway, as to what I plan to watch:
- Angel Beats
- Arakawa under the Bridge
- B Gata H Kei
- Kiss x Sis
- K-On!!
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama
- Mayoi Neko Overrun
- Working!

And perhaps more if anything interesting catches my eye.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 22:15   Link #126
DidCart

When are we going to know the premiere dates of this season?
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 23:26   Link #127
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidCart View Post
Have a look here.
Old 2010-03-19, 00:16   Link #128
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidCart View Post
The new Chartfag has most start dates listed. It also drops Iron Man, since it didn't make it into this season.

Looks like my most anticipated (Five Leaves) isn't starting until late, so I'll have plenty of time to sample random shows.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 16:51   Link #129
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

no iron man!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it actually looked promising.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 06:16   Link #130
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
no iron man!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it actually looked promising.
I know, I don't wanna wait all the way till October to see it
Old 2010-03-22, 00:09   Link #131
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

Currently interested in:
Angel Beats
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Yojo-han Shinwa Taikei
Magic Kaitou
Black Rock Shooter

Not much quantity wise for me but let's see how it goes.

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 04:51   Link #132
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I know, I don't wanna wait all the way till October to see it
Yeah but Romance of the Three Kingdoms is there! I've been wanting to watch that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 08:47   Link #133
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
The new Chartfag has most start dates listed. It also drops Iron Man, since it didn't make it into this season.
oh noes

Quote:
Looks like my most anticipated (Five Leaves) isn't starting until late, so I'll have plenty of time to sample random shows.
Same for me, both Five Leaves and Yojo-han Shinwa Taikei start pretty late... but then again I'm in Japan from the 1st till the 19th so vOv

Old 2010-03-23, 02:50   Link #134
metronome
Mad Loli

that anime series about japanese spy stuffs during world war 2 sounds interesting, but I wonder if the story will be good or it will just be another zipang story~~
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 02:59   Link #135
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hmm... I'm having a bad feeling about Black Rock Shooter not having a release date at this time. This and Ai no Kusabi are the only OVA's with no release dates. D:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 09:39   Link #136
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Date should be announced in the recent what-not event which was announced.
Old 2010-03-25, 15:03   Link #137
monir
cho~ kakkoii

There are too many I want to watch, but that always has been the case for Spring season.

Shaft, A1, Madhouse are one of the studios that are automatic must watch (at least the first couple of episode) for me.

House of Five Leaves is occupying noitamina, so need to watch this.

The shows that promise to offer something different seem to be, Yojo-han Shinwa Taikei, Rainbow - Nisha Rokubo no Shichinin, and Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wa Shitte Iru... so will watch at least a couple of episodes and then decide accordingly. The synopsis on Arakawa under the Bridge also reads interesting.

Shows that I'll be watching for the "story" ...... Ikkitousen, Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou, Kiss x Sis, Mayoi Neko Overrun, and B Gatta H Kei.

If I didn't mention it already, I'll be eagerly waiting for Ookiku Furikubutte. I don't think I need to explain myself as to why, do I? You know what.... get out of my sight.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 08:43   Link #138
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Anyone want to update the thread chartfag pic to have the newest one?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 08:57   Link #139
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Plus add Black Rock Shooter's release date period. It's June 25 to August 31.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 12:47   Link #140
kuro341
Lucky Star love anyone?

SHOWS I am watching:
Working
Heroman
Angel Beats
Black Rock Shooter
GA OVA
Yutori-chan and
K-ON Season 2