AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-27, 09:35   Link #1
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Looking for the latest.. (comedy/romance/drama)

Basically I haven't watched any new anime (aside from maybe Bleach) in the last year and while I'm quite content with my shounen anime (bleach, naruto and death note), I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to romance/comedy genre.

I'm basically looking for any (good) anime released in 07/08 that is like:
- Fruits Basket
- School Rumble
- GTO
- Ouran High Host Club
- Kare Kano
- Honey and Clover
- Genshiken
- Suzuka

So basically anything that has a combination of these things:
- Comedy
- Light drama (probably the least important aspect)
- Set in or around school (probably not that important either)
- Romance/Hint of Romance (Like Ouran, Fruits Basket and School Rumble)
- Light hearted (and if possible with a bit of a dramatic ending, i.e Ouran, FB)
- Happy/Neutral Ending (by the way if you make a suggestion based on a happy ending, PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT IT HAS ONE because I don't want a hint about the ending)

Any combination of those would be great. Also, just a reminder, only looking for 07/08 releases (because there's a good chance I've seen or at attempted to watch an anime from 06 and before). I've looked through other threads asking similar suggestions, but I'm looking specifically for 07/08 so that's why I made a new topic.

Thanks!
Old 2008-04-27, 11:55   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nodame Cantabile (winter/spring 2007) is a good place to start.
Old 2008-04-27, 22:52   Link #3
Kittay

Send a message via AIM to Kittay
ef - a tale of memories - The anime revolves around two protagonists, Hirono Hiro and Asou Renji. On Christmas Eve, Hirono Hiro meets a girl named Miyamura Miyako who was chasing a purse snatcher. Hiro later finds out that Miyako also goes to the same school as he does and they start hanging out together. This made Hiro's childhood friend, Shindou Kei, feel left out. Kei then tries to compete with Miyako for Hiro's affection and a love triangle ensues. The anime also tells the story of Asou Renji. Renji meets a girl named Shindou Chihiro at an abandoned train station. He soon learns that Chihiro suffers from a type of amnesia where her memory span only lasts for 13 hours. He also discovers Chihiro's dream of writing a novel, but she has never been able to fulfill that dream due to her condition. Renji then decides to help her fulfill that dream.

it's a year old almost but it's really good. It's a romance / drama.
Old 2008-04-27, 23:03   Link #4
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittay View Post
ef - a tale of memories - The anime revolves around two protagonists, Hirono Hiro and Asou Renji. On Christmas Eve, Hirono Hiro meets a girl named Miyamura Miyako who was chasing a purse snatcher. Hiro later finds out that Miyako also goes to the same school as he does and they start hanging out together. This made Hiro's childhood friend, Shindou Kei, feel left out. Kei then tries to compete with Miyako for Hiro's affection and a love triangle ensues. The anime also tells the story of Asou Renji. Renji meets a girl named Shindou Chihiro at an abandoned train station. He soon learns that Chihiro suffers from a type of amnesia where her memory span only lasts for 13 hours. He also discovers Chihiro's dream of writing a novel, but she has never been able to fulfill that dream due to her condition. Renji then decides to help her fulfill that dream.

it's a year old almost but it's really good. It's a romance / drama.
Eh, I don't really think ef fits. There's not much comedy, and it's not really even your usual romance/drama; a lot of it is psychological, and it's not "light drama".
It also finished not four months ago and began seven months ago, so it's not close to a year old either.

As for some romantic comedy and romance/comedy:
REC: A short romantic comedy about an older couple (compared to the rest of anime, they're in their twenties.) with light drama and is overall quite lighthearted.
Clannad: Less dramatic and such than its predecessors, it's mostly school-life comedy with a touch of romance and a few dramatic moments and backstories. I would liken it to a happier Kanon or something mildly similar to Fruits Basket with arcs instead of episodic character stories towards the end.

That's all I can get off the top of my head, so I'll be back when KholdSecks replies or when I remember something else.
Old 2008-04-28, 00:10   Link #5
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I'd try out Lovely Complex:
Quote:
Risa and Otani are always being laughed at as the comedy duo. Risa, a girl, is taller than the average girl, and Otani, a boy, is shorter than the average boy. The two are always bickering and even their teacher sees them as a comedy act. But as their friendship develops, so does Risa's feelings toward Otani.
I also highly recommend the already mentioned Nodame Cantabile

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2008-04-28, 00:10   Link #6
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Hayate No Gotoku... it doenst have much drama and it gets kinda crazy sometimes but it is a nice comedy with some romance in it too.
Clannad: although the romance / drama is stronger than the comedic part, you cant miss this anime xD

Btw since u mentioned you liked bleach, naruto and death note... i would suggest u try D Gray Man and One Piece too.
Old 2008-04-28, 02:35   Link #7
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Seirei no Moribito, this maybe 2006, i dont remember.

Kaze no Stigma
Old 2008-04-28, 07:30   Link #8
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Thanks for the responses thus far people, much appreciated. Specifically:

- Hayate no: I've seen everything up til the last episode (haven't gotten around to it yet for unknown reasons) it's a great anime, despite the lead girl being such a pain in the behind (but she grows up slightly so that's good)

- Nodame: Another I've seen (maybe I'm not so out of date ), well I should say that I've started. Really great anime, wasn't a huge fan of the art style in the beginning but it grows on you (great characters help too)

- REC: Another great suggestion, but another I've seen. I should have posted that one in my OP, since it's one of my favourites (slipped my mind). Shame it was so short though! (but they did pack in more story development then most full 26 ep series)

- Lovely Complex: Geez, so many I forgot to list up top. My bad! Also watched this one, same with Nodame, art style grew on me and it hits the right notes in terms of comedy.

For those suggestions that I didn't list above, I will definitely take a look at, thanks!

@incube: I've been recommended by a friend to watch D Grayman, so I'll take a look at it and as for One Piece, I stopped watching it and will pick it back up later on (Bleach and Naruto are keeping me occupied at the moment) but yeah One Piece > Naruto imo.

Thanks, and keep'em coming!
Old 2008-04-28, 07:54   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Welcome to the NHK? It aired in 2006 and has a mix of comedy, romance, and drama. Another show from the period with these elements is Saiunkoku Monogatari, though the romantic subplot isn't resolved at the end of the first (nor apparently the second) season.

I'd second Seirei no Moribito on the grounds that it's an excellent show, though it doesn't really meet your other criteria (especially the "light-hearted" one).

Unfortunately all these series are licensed, and the latter two are in Geneon limbo and are no longer being released in R1.

Two other comedies I might recommend are Moyashimon and Oh! Edo Rocket, both of which aired last year. The first concerns a freshman at an agricultural university who has the power to see microbes. Often very funny, and quite educational, with the cutest bunch of microbes you'll ever see. Rocket is a strange anachronistic show set in mid-19th century Japan, but the characters have TVs and blogs. These are both unlicensed.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:04   Link #10
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Yep I did check out Welcome to NHK when it was first released, it was a little bit too extreme on the otaku observation (I'd only watched the first 2 episodes though) for my tastes (where as I thought genshiken hit a good balance).

I'll add moyashimon due to the curiousity factor after seeing the picture in the profile at anidb . But Edo Rocket doesn't seem like it'd suit me, don't think I'd like comedy set in feudal japan (Though I will say that I enjoyed the light hearted parts of Samurai champloo and other anime set in or have a similar setting, where the comedy takes the backseat to action)

I should probably add, preferably set in modern day (or close to..)
Thanks!
Old 2008-04-28, 16:31   Link #11
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Two other comedies I might recommend are Moyashimon and Oh! Edo Rocket, both of which aired last year.
Ahh! Moyashimon was surprisingly entertaining and definitely worth your attentions. The art style may be strange to you at first, but it really grows on you.
Some I didn't mention before:
-Bamboo Blade Lovable main character! (Featured in my avi and sig)
-Spice and Wolf Has to be my all-time favorite of the past year
-Victorian Romance Emma: Second Act Seen the first season? Then you MUST see the second!

Airing ones to keep an eye on:
-Bus Gamer
-Kure-nai
-Wagaya no Oinari-sama Who doesn't love another deity-human? More specifically, a fox deity?
-Allison to Lillia Adventure anime
-Itazura na Kiss Also manga, J-drama, and Taiwanese-drama. Reminds me a bit of Marmalade Boy....only better

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Closed Thread