AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-30, 10:01   Link #1
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Printer trouble

I have an HP DeskJet 1280 inkjet printer and currently if I print anything in colour it only comes out in shades of magenta. I've tried replacing the print cartridges and doing the software-controlled head cleaning procedure several times but it hasn't helped. I asked around a bit and some people suggested trying to clean the print heads manually.

What I need to know is, what should I clean them with? Rubbing alcohol was suggested, but apparently we can't get that over here in the UK, presumably due to alcohol abuse or whatever. Also, how do I actually go about cleaning them?
Old 2008-08-30, 10:51   Link #2
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj View Post
I have an HP DeskJet 1280 inkjet printer and currently if I print anything in colour it only comes out in shades of magenta. I've tried replacing the print cartridges and doing the software-controlled head cleaning procedure several times but it hasn't helped. I asked around a bit and some people suggested trying to clean the print heads manually.

What I need to know is, what should I clean them with? Rubbing alcohol was suggested, but apparently we can't get that over here in the UK, presumably due to alcohol abuse or whatever. Also, how do I actually go about cleaning them?
That's very odd...I googled and I see nothing about a rubbing alcohol ban. You can't drink it - it's intentionally poisoned to prevent that.

[EDIT]: Oh wow...apparently in the UK they actually used drinkable alcohol to make it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 12:19   Link #3
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
The printheads are built into the ink cartridges. If you replace the cartridge, you replace the printhead along with it, which would mean it would be unnecessary to clean them. But, if you want to try, get a damp rag, and slide the ink cartridges' heads (tips) across it in a straight line as if you're feeding paper underneath it.

For printers (the Deskjet 1280 isn't one of them) with a separate printhead, you just replace the printheads because "cleaning" them will only ruin them further.

Two other things I'd suggest you look into are the contacts between the cartridges and the tray (for the ink cartridges), and try to see if there's a short in the cables. Since the cartridge is brand new and it's still happening, check the tray specifically. It could be that the contact is damaged, thus not sending all the signals. As for the cables, it could be the USB/parallel cables or it could be the power cables. Any kinks could indicate that there's a possible short. It happens.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 13:23   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Have you verified that the issue isn't due to drivers?
Old 2008-09-01, 06:46   Link #5
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

This is very ungreen advice, but if you need to replace any parts consider getting a new one as they are so darn cheap nowadays...
Old 2008-09-01, 13:41   Link #6
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Have you verified that the issue isn't due to drivers?
Yes, we tried doing the printer's inbuilt test page with the printer completely disconnected from the computer.
Old 2008-09-02, 17:11   Link #7
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
This is very ungreen advice, but if you need to replace any parts consider getting a new one as they are so darn cheap nowadays...
Actually, although you are right about it being an ungreen advice, that is actually the best choice they would have if it comes down to parts. Replacing the ink cartridge station is usually in the $150 or more range, and that's -if- you can find one available. And that doesn't include approximately 2 hours of labor. Even HP realizes that it's much more cost effective to buy a new printer that if you try to order the part directly from them, they would indicate that they don't have it.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote