AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 24.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 17.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 5.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 7.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-10, 19:04   Link #141
com_gwp

^Why do I have the complete opposite view of you.

12 was the lowest point of the entire series for me, ending what was an extremely underwhelming first cour. I hoestly think that the show has been getting more and more fun to watch since the start of the 2nd cour, with s*** hitting the fan every single episode up till now. The cast shifting character, and the autocratic little empire Shu's built himself is a lot more interesting to watch compared to the freedom fight of the first cour. Doesn't hurt that I like post-apocalyptic and lockdown settings. Sure, the plot holes and jumps in logic still remain, but its being directed in a gloriously enjoyable trainwreck.

(Clone Gai haha. Although I was calling him to somehow comeback into the series by the end)

Edit: Hey, that end card, is that the Durarara/Yozakura Quartet artist? Faces sure looks like his style.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-02-10 at 19:39.
Old 2012-02-10, 19:13   Link #142
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
yeah the shows been on a steady decline since ep 12. Characters how no rhyme or reason, its just all chaos.
It wasn't that way before?

Anyways, I have my own theories on the "government" established by the school. Honestly, I wish the entire anime was built around this, as that would have been much more interesting. Is it flawed? Yes, but these are kids we're talking about. Episode 15 did point out that it's how you use the voids (which is weird, considering that when he's holding a void, Shu gets incredibly adept at using it for some reason), but you got to establish a hierarchy somehow.

The one problem I have (besides the fact that it's surprisingly boring) is that it happened way too fast. While Shu's change is only slightly unbelievable for me, I can't believe these students (where are the teachers) can do all this crap in only a few days. Lelouch had an entire government and weeks/months when he took over. Shu? How is he so smart all of a sudden?

And again, why is a government ruled by voids a bad thing? It's not like those things break all that easily, especially compared to the human body. And of course, why do the void rules keep changing? But that's unrelated.

Edit: Something I noticed is that the general anime community seems to think this episode was pretty good. The bloggers? Not so much.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-02-10 at 20:03.
Old 2012-02-10, 21:19   Link #143
Makall

Is anyone else glad that this Argo fellow got what he deserved?

He always looked down on Shu and stepped all over him like the bully he was. In a case like this, the cover is very representative of the book. If he looks like a thug bully, walks like a thug bully and talks like a thug bully, then he must be a thug bully.

When Shu first joined their group, Argo was such a jackass towards Shu because Shu didn't worship the ground that Gai walked on and licked his boots like Argo does.

Now because Shu wanted to save his fellow schoolmates and take leadership into his own hands, Argo yet again has to act like a condescending asshole towards Shu. Gai wanted to be like Shu, not the other way around.

Saying stuff like "He's just a Shu, how dare he try to act like a leader!?". Classic bully talk when the bullied has surpassed them. Or "You're just Shu, you don't get to order me around!" shows that Argo never even considered Shu a comrade (implying that he's weak and will always be weak).

Well Argo, a single cell in Shu's body has more worth than all of your fodder buddies combined. Has he forgotten that in all their operations, Shu does like 90% of the work? Without Shu, they were bound for failure. Yet how does he keep getting away with all this disrespect towards him?

It's funny cause Argo stood out as the classic thug-like bully in the group. The big fat guy is pretty non-chalant about everything. Ayase's a bitch of course but she's in a wheelchair so the pent up stress must have accumulated.

Argo's worship of Gai is almost cult-like in a way. Gai's #1 fanboy (Ayase #1 fangirl).
Old 2012-02-10, 21:38   Link #144
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I barely remember Argo. He was so minor a character and did so little that I could care less what he did in this episode (beyond his role as outsider looking at current school situation). That serial killer (who I notice has never been important since he got introduced) was more memorable.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-02-10, 22:03   Link #145
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

4. I think that the scene where Shu denies Souta the needed oxygen tank is not to display the Void ranking system in action, per se, but rather to show how Shu has become a bit of a vindictive bastard. If it was anybody other than Souta down there, I think Shu would have allowed the oxygen tank to be used.

Why do I think that? Because none of Shu's immediate entourage (most notably his two Secret Service girls, including one who even idolizes him) took action to stop Argo there, and only Yahiro bothered to even verbally defend Shu. That tells me that even they couldn't pretend that Shu's BS excuse made sense here (so Shu wouldn't use it unless it served an ulterior motive). Just because you have a hierarchy doesn't mean you take leave of common sense. Who's more likely to need an oxygen tank: F-rank divers scavenging for you, or A/S-ranks who likely never need to go underwater for long periods of time? The answer is obvious.

Yahiro backed Shu up here because I think Yahiro was simply thrilled at seeing Shu be a bastard for any reason whatsoever. Yahiro desperately wants Shu to be a totally cold, heartless Dictator. Even now Yahiro still considers Shu soft. Yahiro's overall philosophy is basically that of a Dr. Doom or a Lex Luthor. Yahiro is either that far over the moral event horizon, or he's a mole working for GHQ.
I think we all want Souta to die but that aside, did you not see Yahiro's void?

That guy's a psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpax View Post
Inori should be renamed Instant Plot-Device, because she seems to just do whatever the hell the plot calls for her to do. She apparently is now Shu’s C.C. (though she obviously isn’t as cool) and is going to do whatever she can to help him with his plan of world domination or whatever. Also can someone explain to me what’s the deal with the Schuhrer’s mom? Or any of the character?! Their interactions and motifs just don’t make any kind of sense… And suddenly GAI O SENGEN:
You win the thread sir...
Old 2012-02-10, 22:04   Link #146
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Guilty Crown does not care about any of this.
I agree, GC operates under rule of drama and rule of cool. Everything else can be thrown out the window...
Old 2012-02-10, 22:20   Link #147
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Shu is become a good and evil
Old 2012-02-10, 23:38   Link #148
Xeones

I think Lelouch should make a guest-appearance in GC, bitchslap Shu a couple of times, take over the control of the school and then say something like:

"Okay Kid... now watch and learn how this s*** is done."

Next thing we know, GHQ is defeated in a couple of weeks...
Old 2012-02-10, 23:54   Link #149
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Kingdom, Tyrant

I can't believe myself after watching this episode. School became a dangerous kingdom once Shu turned into a tyrant King, albeit a good-and-evil one throughout most of the episode.

Spoiler:

Yahiro and Argo make their opposing points valid to Shu about the use of Voids, but I'm inclining with Argo's because in all honestly Yahiro might believe the more they make use of Voids, then the more knowledge they gather about them.
Of course doing so, comes at hundreds or thousands of lives lost in the open, if they start an all-out war against GHQ.

Spoiler:

The voids are pretty much a double-edge weapon....
Spoiler:

Now bringing the darkest element of all....
Spoiler:

As for the last cliffhanger twist at the end of the episode.....
Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-11, 01:06   Link #150
Crontica

Next episode prediction: Gai has fused with Mana!
Old 2012-02-11, 01:14   Link #151
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^Ew, I really hope not. D:
Old 2012-02-11, 02:10   Link #152
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
I'm imaginng Gai's body and Mana's face. Do not want.
Old 2012-02-11, 07:18   Link #153
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
I don't really think this. But he will probally something like her. Wich mean...o boy
He gonna be the new one that controls the virus>_>At least that seem to be the case from that scene and how the bring him back.
Old 2012-02-11, 07:58   Link #154
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I don't think I can agree with Shu's logic. As we've seen in the past, he simply doesn't possess the maturity to wield this power, and Yahiro is just manipulating him to whatever means he intends to accomplish. We know Shu bends under pressure, but Hare's death broke him, or at least that's my impression.

Oh and hats off to Klashikari and Triple R in this thread, really well thought out posts and point/counterpoint.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:01   Link #155
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Gai has infinite re-spawns turned on.

It is the only explanation.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:10   Link #156
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I still don't like the ranking system, I still don't like that they've put known treacherous thugs in positions of trust, but I can't say I have much sympathy for Argo's POV, either.

He's been fed and sheltered for weeks while kids were scrabbling for food and medicine, he comes to rescue one rich kid, and he wants to give morality lessons to the guy trying to save as many people as possible? And, risk or no risk, the voids are still their biggest weapon. Whether they die of the virus, of getting shot, or having the voids broken matters little. He asked Shu how many people would die if he started his war. A hard question to answer, unlike the question of how many would die if Shu didn't go to war: all of them. So, really, what was his point?
Old 2012-02-11, 12:23   Link #157
Tenza-Zangetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Gai has infinite re-spawns turned on.

It is the only explanation.
does kinda explain him surviving a "nuke"
Old 2012-02-11, 13:28   Link #158
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

I really wanted to punch Shu ... hard ... several times. I know it's been hard on him and that times are tough, but to actually go and become such an asshole is just ...

I also have to question the usefulness of the Void ranking system. It's so unstable and pathetic it ain't even funny. I mean, all you have to do is to take out Shu and the entire system comes tumbling down.

I would also think twice about bullying the lower ranks if I was a high ranker. Shu won't be around all the time and the only thing that differentiates a top rank from a bottom rank is something that matters only when Shu is around. Once he's gone the top ranker is no different from anyone else.

How the hell did they even accept that system in the first place? Are they really that submissive? Are they really that weak? Sure, order is needed, but when you implement such a crappy system that pushes people around it's only a matter of time before things fall apart.

With such assholes running the school the low ranks should have gone Pitchforks and Torches long time ago and then I would like to see how much your S rank will save your life...

And it seems that Inori has also started going insane ... nice.
Old 2012-02-11, 13:57   Link #159
Arya

Really enjoyed this episode.
I hope that the Gai resurrection is made to use him as a trojan horse and not as the Gai we all knew.

And I have to say that I agree with Triple R and his points.

The situation they are in is a live or die one, and no one but Shu can take the lead. Shu know that, schoolmates too. Not by merits, not by election, but by necessity.
So even the F-rankers had to agree with him and with his ranking system. Because there are no alternatives. Argo was talking about nonsense back there.

Talking about the hierarchy, in each system founded on hierarchies the discrimination is how good you are in that application field. So they are using the more effective one, giving the short time they have. I agree, and I wrote about it before, with who sees the void ranking as not the smartest way to structure a hierarchy, but ... the easier, the faster. They need efficiency first, not a stable hierarchy, just the time to break-through the walls. I don't see a GHQ hunting in Shu agenda right now. But only a way to free his *friends* at the expence of everything. Do I like it? Not at all, but it is not done to be liked.
I add that it seems that they do not rank only about numbers. Shu examined the girl's void before ranking her. So they are putting some efforts *to give credits* to their system. This is not a strategy game/anime, so it is understandable that they don't focus too much on these things. (Even if I know that it has flaws).

They don't have any Leoluches, only Yahiro, scheming all around. So they have to deal with what they have. Not to mention that the main aim of GHQ is to make Shu go insane. Many events and accidents are controlled by Segai to that aim. And GHQ are doing good so far.

Thinking about GHQ, could it be that they are trying to break him down as they did with Mana before and cause a second lost christmas? Finally they both are Haruka's sons.

Focusing on Shu behavior, it is not like he has really switched personality, he decided to act like that. He said that speaking with Inori. So right now, don't know how it will last, he is acting like that, but under his mask he still has some humanity. Not for Souta, as Triple R has well pointed out.
He is still looking for his balance and probably he need to hit the bottom, dig and then come back, if he could.
And from a character progression is not so wrong instead of having that trigger pulling him out as a shining and rightful king.

And for Inori, how glad I would be if she was a yandere, just a bit, not too much. But it seems that Mana is taking over her when she need to. So everything is going against Shu. The two most closed people to him, in different ways, will lead him to the darkest side of the force. Yahiro and Manori. I at least hope that that lie will hint Shu on how Yahiro is not so right in his strategies.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-02-11, 14:31   Link #160
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, they made it so you're supposed to hate what Shu is dong. and they've done a very good job at that. everything else is barely understandable, but w/e..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Closed Thread