AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-09-24, 16:37   Link #401
Kazu-kun

Well, while they left a lot of loose ends (hook for a potential second season I guess) they did resolve most of the character beats that were introduced in previous episodes. Like Ange being a loner and not trusting her friends and such. They also explained Princess' goals and motivations a little more clearly, and she gained more validation as future queen. Also Princess and Ange became closer to each other and understand each other better now.

If they do a second season, I'll definitely watch it. But I don't really need it. I'm fine with this ending.
Old 2017-09-24, 16:41   Link #402
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The series had a nice tune, and ended on a good note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Really enjoyed the series, but I don't feel a single plot point brought up in the first 80% of the series was resolved. Hell, thinking about it, I don't think a single one of those plot points progressed at all; they only got further explanation. Even the plot point that DID get resolved (this revolution) was only partially resolved.

If this doesn't get continued it's going to leave a really bad taste in my mouth.
Think you're looking at it wrong.

The way I would describe the series is as having a lot of present-tense backstory. (the episode chronology pretty much works to that end too)

One way to see the structured is that there are a lot of pieces, but many of the pieces serve only to illustrate other pieces. Why do the common wealth and empire hate each other, because of the various politics that were brought up. Why is the princess in the position she's in, because of the various politics. Why is Cise there, because of the politics. It's unfortunate but the so called "unresolved mysteries" are simply required one way or another due to the nature of the main elements. Or else it's all very empty and hand wavy. It's similar to how say in a more what-you-would-expect series you would have character with shitty parenting or some form of relationship with another as his motivation for his personality but it never gets particularly resolved. In this case they just shine the spotlight on that kind of thing a lot more (but still dont resolve it).

Does this mean the series can get revisited and have those plot points tied up? Of course. Likely their intention. But I think it works great standalone as well, at least the way it was done here.

I personally think the ending is quite genius. By having so many little ends you never really know how it's exactly going to end. Here are a few other outcomes for example,
  • the revolution plot works
  • the conflict is resolved but the girls die
  • the wall is brought down, but its war

On the other hand, if EVERYTHING got resolved (and we have plenty of series where that happens) then it's a bit of a wash. Personally everything getting scrubbed clean is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth, since it's a betrayal of one of the premises of the tension: the situation is mostly unsolvable with out major sacrifices, and the characters are in the middle but have very limited influence.

However I'll concede that this is very much a matter of taste, rather then analytical. Just like with the somewhat recent sherlock series you either thought it was great re-imagining or you thought "What? Did he just pull that impossible to guess piece of info out of his ass?" depending on where your sensibilities and expectations are. Neither are wrong. It's just like a magic trick, it works and you're amazed, or it doesn't work and everyone's embarrassed.
Old 2017-09-24, 17:58   Link #403
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Really enjoyed the series, but I don't feel a single plot point brought up in the first 80% of the series was resolved. Hell, thinking about it, I don't think a single one of those plot points progressed at all; they only got further explanation. Even the plot point that DID get resolved (this revolution) was only partially resolved.

If this doesn't get continued it's going to leave a really bad taste in my mouth.
Not everything needs to be answered. Ask for too much, and you get Darker than Black S2.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 18:20   Link #404
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, the final episode was fine, though for me personally I kinda felt it was a little "less" than the other 11 before it. No biggee, but noticeable nonetheless.

Overall I would give this series a 8.75/10, and largely for the engagement factor - it remained one of the series I most anticipated each week, and absolutely LOVED the episode where Chise faced off with Jubei.

I would really like a second season as well, but once again am not getting my hopes up.
Old 2017-09-24, 21:36   Link #405
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Darker than Black S2.
No!
Nooo!
NOOOOOO!!!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 22:07   Link #406
Wandering Soul

Enjoyed the series, but it feels like the plot really went nowhere. Nothing about the setting is really resolved, but I guess in the end this was a series that was supposed to be more about the main girls and their relationships than those plot points. If this gets at season 2, that will hopefully change. I'm also wondering what was the point of messing with the chronological order of the episodes.
Old 2017-09-25, 01:14   Link #407
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I really enjoyed this series overall. My only critique is that I wish it were longer so that we could've have more time to dig deeper into all of the characters. (And if I were to nitpick, I'd say that only a couple of the episodes being aired out of sequence really offered anything. I think most of them should've been kept in order.) It's actually one of the best anime originals I can recall watching and loving in a long time.

A solid 8.5/10 from me.
Old 2017-09-25, 03:02   Link #408
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Soooo, basically sequel bait ending that resolves NOTHING? Well it was obvious they won't resolve everything because of quite a bit of a season being wasted, but this literally set up more things than it concluded.

Let's hope their hopes in it selling well to get another season pay off, because there's literally no ending as of now.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 05:56   Link #409
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Not everything needs to be answered. Ask for too much, and you get Darker than Black S2.
Asking for something = asking for everything?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 17:03   Link #410
James Rye

This kinda show would have needed more episodes with more of them focusing on the whole taking over a queen arc like the other siblings or on weakening the Uncle, etc. So it sort of remains status quo, nothing really changed in the world, expect the relationship between Ange and Charlotte and their other friends which got a lot more honest than before. Still liked it a lot, Beato was my surprise fav girl of the cast and there were plenty of sad and cruel moments happening that you'd really think even one of the main girls might bite the dust in the final episode. Which didn't happen, Major nice Eyes bite the dust but that's it. Even Zelda got away, probably a rogue spy now given she was working for the War-crazy General.
Old 2017-09-25, 23:00   Link #411
IceHism

so uh, they just leave Britain and chill in casablanca?

ok.

So no idea whether the revolution even succeeded or not. Which is fine, im quite content in not knowing. But i'm hoping for a second season.

good show though.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 06:33   Link #412
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 12:

Princess really is a nice person... shared the food with hungry soldier boys, and she even manage to win the respect of the rebel soldier with the key.. too bad he died.

Had a good smile when Dorothy played a joke on Ange about not helping her, because helping Ange is not part of Dorothy's job.

Why is the fat general afraid of L? Did the general get killed?

Everyone reach Casablanca alive... which means they all be alive for a season 2!! ^__^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 14:48   Link #413
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the series never quite lived up to the premise of the first episode. i was expecting darker than what we ended up getting. that said, i still enjoyed it immensely and will be waiting for a second season.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 12:13   Link #414
Kurapica

After the first few eps i thought this was going to be mindblowingly good. I couldn't tell where this was going and i loved the curveballs. Now after the last ep aired i feel underwelmed. The main plot is not nearly as interesting as it initially seemed and things ended up being convoluted and pretty straightforward. Nothing really got resolved in the end. Just put on hold.

I feel that some of the standalone characterbuilding eps were far better than the main plot. The interaction between characters and the colourfulness of the world was still pretty decent so ill give this anime 7+ overall.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 12:23   Link #415
Darthtabby

This is another show that seemed like it should have been two cours. Particularly given the "Case Numbers" that were given to some of the episodes. The second to last episode was "Case 23" yet there's only twelve episodes in total?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 09:18   Link #416
4th Dimension

Yeah, I'm also one of those that are kinda disappointing with this. The characters and how they work together to solve issues was FUN, but I kept expecting them to get back to the plot which ep1 promised. Proper spy story of lying and hidden motives.
Hell I thought "Princess" was angling to play "Ange" to the max and given Beato's professions of eternal loyalty that she would get captured or something, and the entire thing to end in a kinda bitter sweet way, because well, they are spies. If captured it's gallows for them unless KIngdom wants to exchange them.
And I'm someone who prefers bright stories of good triumphing over evil, rather than edge shows where bad guy is annoying psycho that is invunerable to consequences intill the very last possible moment.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 20:03   Link #417
Applehell

Well, uh so I guess this ended without much of a resolution to anything. The plot hadn't advanced beyond Chise joining the team and show didn't even attempt to answer any of the question it proposed aside from Ange's identity. Kinda of funny how the Big Bad and his assistant where just sort sidelined too for an entirely new plot that just sprung up at last minute based around a character that was only here for 2 episodes. Even if we assume a sequel is coming I don't feel the first season did enough what it had so it just ended up largely falling short. Honestly at this point they could just drop the whole "change the country plot" and I wouldn't care since it like an afterthought and none of character have any plans on how to do it anyway.

However, still this show pretty sold as far MCs went with addition to a cool setting and snazzy soundtrack if nothing else. So on a whole I'm left mixed on experience. I will say as a character focused action flick somewhat in the vain of Gunslinger Girl I think it is a good recommendation for anyone look for kind of show.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-04, 10:58   Link #418
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Best anime of the season for me...

I don't know how to wrap up this show properly but I just felt so tense and emotional when watching this.. lots of ruthless deaths, sad death, close mission, and lovely interactions
They knew how to mix the show with slice-of-life part... watching everyone is so much fun

My final thought is probably... when it is time for Princess to face her guillotine, I'm expecting Principal Team to save her... don't you dare to fail or we won't forgive you
Still pissed off that Zelda is running away though
I don't really wish for Season 2 since I think we could conclude the rest by ourselves... I think I'm just afraid of tragedy ending... I mean.. there is no way Ange will finally smile when she stood in front of Princess' grave, right?
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 11:37   Link #419
magnuskn

On a technical level, this was probably the best anime of the season. A solid 9/10 from me. I somehow liked Knights & Magic a bit more for just personal reasons (robots are a man's romance! ^^), but this was clearly the superior show.
Old 2017-10-07, 12:43   Link #420
ScrewySquirrel

well, the first week's Blu Ray sales were good. It ranked #10 in overall anime Blu Ray sales with 5466. 3000 is considered a hit.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, alternate history, anime original, kajiura yuki, spy thriller, steampunk, tachibana masaki