Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-22, 08:19   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Display of ban reason

Actually, I've been thinking of this for a while now.

Lately, another user of AnimeSuki has faced the banhammer and for some reason, I wanted to know why. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no feature for a list of banned people in this forums (it is understandable that you just wanted make banning less noticeable (for lack of better term)).

I'd like to request a way on how to check what offense a certain user has committed to have a ban issued to them. That way, the user, and all the others, can at least know what to avoid next time.

What do you think?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-04-22, 08:35   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Someone who was banned for a while might not want to come back with everyone knowing why he got banned. It could be embarrasing.
Old 2010-04-22, 08:41   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'd like to request a way on how to check what offense a certain user has committed to have a ban issued to them. That way, the user, and all the others, can at least know what to avoid next time.

What do you think?
This feature is already implemented.
Old 2010-04-22, 08:47   Link #4
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's the list of rules. I think my request is a different thing.
As for being an embarrassing experience... not to be too extreme, but I think it's part of the sanctions.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-04-22, 08:54   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I think he's implying that if people read the rules, they'd know why they got banned, and what to avoid next time. And I agree. I find it hard to believe that people really need it specifically spelled out to them unless they're choosing to remain willfully ignorant that they broke the rules.
Old 2010-04-22, 09:02   Link #6
LynnieS

There are only so many rules here that if broken, will get someone banned. I don't see how knowing which one(s) got broken will help someone "learn" from that person's mistake - unless perhaps a person is trying to game the system or something.

If it was for something like being rude to someone else in posts, then the admins would likely delete the entire conversation as well, so there won't be records there either.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-04-22, 09:13   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You were asking "the user, and all the others, can at least know what to avoid next time". So yes the rules are there for you for that purpose. As for the "part of the sanctions" its obviously not part of the sanction (currently) given how you are asking for it, and also a lot of the time we only get a clue as to what it was we were sanctioned for anyway.

See for yourself,

You'll also get a pm but the links are almost always broken if the either the thread was moved or posts deleted.

On other forums I've seen moderators just maintain a thread where they post why X was banned but that's not gonna happen here for several reasons. First of all each time I've seen such threads they have only proven to be a huge waste of time with 0 return. Secondly the forums here work on a infraction system, why you got banned is usually never because of any particular reason, meaning keeping such a list would be a even bigger hassle.

Also something else I don't understand. If someone you know got banned why don't you just ask them why they got banned?
Old 2010-04-22, 09:21   Link #8
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

What, and get dissed at for asking? No way.

Old 2010-04-22, 09:36   Link #9
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

So, you're essentially requesting a large change in the way the forum works because you don't want to ask someone you know why they got banned? That seems, uh, counter-intuitive, to put it very mildly. (Not to mention slightly underhanded if this person really doesn't want you to know to the point where they'd "diss" you for asking).
Old 2010-04-22, 09:44   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Why so shy? What are you some kind of stalker?
Old 2010-04-22, 11:33   Link #11
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I dont see a reason for other forum members to know why someone got banned in the first place. Honestly its none of anyone else's business. The person who was banned knows via pm and like felix showed on their user page. Thats good enough. If you know the person well enough you might ask but again its up to them to answer you. I dont think everyone in the forum needs to know why someone was banned.

Again if you want to avoid getting warned/banned simply follow the forum rules, thats the easiest thing to do.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-22, 12:01   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

What is this infractions tab? I can't find it anywhere, though that might be because I've never had one, lol.
Old 2010-04-22, 12:32   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
What is this infractions tab? I can't find it anywhere, though that might be because I've never had one, lol.
Its on the profile page, if you didn't get any infractions you probably don't have one. It used to be it showed all infractions but now (as you can see above) it just displays the first page.
Old 2010-04-22, 13:57   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Its on the profile page, if you didn't get any infractions you probably don't have one.
Actually, it's on the User Control Panel ("User CP") above the list of recent reputation messages received. Only you can see this page. The Profile page is publicly visible unless you've disabled it via the Options page.

I think publicizing the reasons for someone being banned is a terrible idea. As Bun-Bun said, it's a private matter between the moderator(s) and the member.
Old 2010-04-22, 14:39   Link #15
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Closing thread. I think the reasons have been addressed in the above replies. If you had searched this forum you would have also found this thread, Question on bans, the answer from 4 years ago still applies.

Quote:
Lately, another user of AnimeSuki has faced the banhammer and for some reason, I wanted to know why.
Quote:
From these two posts I can't help but think that the reason you want to know is so you can rubberneck the scene of the accident.
Quote:
That way, the user, and all the others, can at least know what to avoid next time.
As has been pointed out, we have the forum rules for this.

Unless we are talking about a true spammer, posters here do not get permanently banned for no reason or without plenty of warning. Initial bans are short temporary bans anyway, you really have to work at being permanently banned. I would suggest having a read of the Infraction FAQ to start with.

As for finding out the reason why someone else was banned, we are not going to announce or post the reasons why. That is a private issue between the users and the Mods.
Old 2010-04-22, 18:09   Link #16
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

For the avoidance of doubt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Actually, it's on the User Control Panel ("User CP") above the list of recent reputation messages received. Only you can see this page.
felix's example image was from the User Profile, but there is indeed also a list found on the User Control Panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Profile page is publicly visible unless you've disabled it via the Options page.
In fact neither list is visible to regular users, regardless of privacy settings. Indeed, there is no privacy setting for infractions. Your User Control Panel (and hence any information on it) is only visible to you. The infraction list on your profile is only visible to you and those who can issue/rescind infractions (i.e. the forum moderation staff).
Closed Thread