AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-11, 02:12   Link #1
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Question Characters with different classes and skills?

Okay. I'm essentially referring to a certain aspect of Kanokon. (Because I've just finished watching it.)

First thing first. I dislike big breasts. So that part of Kanokon is really a no-no for me. And talk about fanservice... Somehow the more I watch Kanokon, the more I find its fanservice ridiculous. Well maybe (for me) the fanservice was destroyed by big boobs. Small breasts are fine, but not big ones. (That naturally makes me prefer Nozomu more than Chizuru.)

But that's not my main point here.

In Kanokon, though it's clearly made for its fanservice (in fact, the fanservice in it is so heavy that everything else, including the romance between the characters, doesn't seem important anymore -- just look at the ending), I find the clans and the power of different types of spirit thingy more interesting. That's why I start this thread.

May I know some other good anime that have different classes of people with different skills and abilities (I mean supernatural skills and abilities)?

I remember the first anime that I took seriously was Ragnarok the Animation (though this anime failed terribly). In fact, I used to be a player of Ragnarok Online. Anyway, there are different classes in Ragnarok, right? That's the kind of thing I want for now. But I realize that this sort of anime are very sensitive, as in they can get screwed up pretty easily if the script writer writes a bad story. So a good story is important.

Oh... and I don't mind if there is some ecchiness too. Just not as ridiculous as in Kanokon. Romance is also fine.

So could someone please recommend to me some anime of this sort?
Thanks a bunch.
Old 2009-11-11, 02:22   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

How about Kannagi? The series is based on a world where magic is more or less common place, with the most powerful mages being the elemental ones (wind, earth, water, fire), and certain clans being prominent above others in production of skilled mages. Though I guess in this series everyone is a mage and they just differ in their magic speciality.

Kekkaishi also falls in this schema, not to mention that it is one of the few series where the main characters are barrier users who use their art in an offensive way. (offensive defense!). It got other cool aspects like the importance of teamwork in team battles (against one man army protagonists) and multiple factions with not so clear cut morality. The anime ends short though, so you'd have to follow the manga after you are done with it.
Old 2009-11-11, 03:12   Link #3
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I'd recommend Kaze no Stigma. There are classes based on the type of elemental magic.
Old 2009-11-11, 03:52   Link #4
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
yeah Kaze No Stigma is a good recomendation
some others are
Zero no Tsukaima
Darker Than Black
Sekirei could classify but it has big boobs and fan service
Fate/Stay Night
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Old 2009-11-11, 06:02   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
How about Kannagi? The series is based on a world where magic is more or less common place, with the most powerful mages being the elemental ones (wind, earth, water, fire), and certain clans being prominent above others in production of skilled mages. Though I guess in this series everyone is a mage and they just differ in their magic speciality.
Are you talking about this Kannagi?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9295

Or perhaps you meant another show and are using Kannagi as a short term for it?
Old 2009-11-11, 09:02   Link #6
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Before I say anything, note that every time after I get a recommendation, I would go check it out on Wikipedia, MAL, and the like first. (I do spend like 10 to 30 minutes for each anime carefully reading the plot and character descriptions.) So if I say an opinion of mine about an anime recommended by someone here, I pretty much know what I'm talking about.

Quote:

Kekkaishi also falls in this schema, not to mention that it is one of the few series where the main characters are barrier users who use their art in an offensive way. (offensive defense!). It got other cool aspects like the importance of teamwork in team battles (against one man army protagonists) and multiple factions with not so clear cut morality. The anime ends short though, so you'd have to follow the manga after you are done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Are you talking about this Kannagi?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9295

Or perhaps you meant another show and are using Kannagi as a short term for it?
No. I think Proto wasn't talking about that Kannagi but Kaze no Stigma. From his description it really sounded like Kaze no Stigma, with "Kannagi" being one of the families' names. I've watched Kannagi before. It's nothing like what Proto described, and I also don't really like it. Lol.

Kekkaishi is quite cool, but it's rather long. I know the manga is even longer, but 50+ episodes is somewhat discouraging, especially when I'm lacking hard disk space. Oh, and one of the characters inside could get on my nerves. So I'll pass this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaChaz View Post
I'd recommend Kaze no Stigma. There are classes based on the type of elemental magic.
Thanks. I've checked Kaze no Stigma out and it seems good. I'll be hunting for it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
yeah Kaze No Stigma is a good recomendation
some others are
Zero no Tsukaima
Darker Than Black
Sekirei could classify but it has big boobs and fan service
Fate/Stay Night
Toaru Majutsu no Index
I've already mentioned Kaze no Stigma above, so I'll skip it here.
Zero no Tsukaima... no way. There is something in this anime that I really HATE (until into the bones).
I've heard about Darker Than Black before, and even after looking it up for the second time now, I still don't think it's my cup of tea.
Sekirei is...... Gosh. It reminds me of F/SN. But while F/SN isn't really silly, Sekirei is pretty silly. And well, there's the big boobs as you said, so I'll stay away from this one too.
As for F/SN, I've watched it a few years ago.
Toaru Majutsu no Index... ahh...... It's the second time someone recommends this to me. The first time I didn't take it, but now somehow I'm going to take it. Its story sounds wonderful.

Thanks to all of you. Keep it coming. I can still use more recommendations.
Old 2009-11-11, 09:27   Link #7
npcomplete

Rental Magica
(and the US dvd comes with "a book with more than 100 pages of background information about the series and its mythology." btw)
Old 2009-11-11, 09:35   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well it's not technically an anime but Avatar: The Last Airbender is perfect for what you're looking for. It takes place in a world where there are four great nations. The Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Air Nomads, and the Fire Nation. Each nation has its own natural element, on which it bases its society on, and people that can control that element. The Bending types are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending.
Old 2009-11-11, 09:52   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Huh? Yeah, I was referring about Kaze no Stigma. I'm starting to get all my names mixed, as Genstone pointed out. Sorry for the hiccup. About Kekkaishi, you should give it a chance, as I consider it to be one of the best shounen series out there (+ the manga) but it's your prerrogative.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-11-11 at 10:30.
Old 2009-11-11, 10:49   Link #10
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Rental Magica
(and the US dvd comes with "a book with more than 100 pages of background information about the series and its mythology." btw)
Thanks. I'll consider it. Currently I've found something I don't like in this anime but... I shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well it's not technically an anime but Avatar: The Last Airbender is perfect for what you're looking for. It takes place in a world where there are four great nations. The Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Air Nomads, and the Fire Nation. Each nation has its own natural element, on which it bases its society on, and people that can control that element. The Bending types are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending.
Thanks but I'd already watched this, chasing after each episode (especially Book 3) when it was still being aired some time ago.

Quote:
Huh? Yeah, I was referring about Kaze no Stigma. I'm starting to get all my names mixed, as Genstone pointed out. Sorry for the hiccup. About Kekkaishi, you should give it a chance, as I consider it to be one of the best shounen series out there (+ the manga) but it's your prerrogative.
I get what you mean and I do like the concept of the story and what the characters do, but there are other anime in my priority list. So I'll reconsider it some time later.
Old 2009-11-11, 16:25   Link #11
Rahan

The Tower of Druaga (first season : the aegis of Uruk, second season : the sword of Uruk) has classic RPG classes.

First episode is among my favorite episodes ever. It's an hilarious parody of every fantasy / RPG cliché. The rest is serious, but it's worth watching.
Old 2009-11-12, 11:16   Link #12
Qwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
This might not be the best place to look but is the ending to the show conclusive or is it an up in the air, incomplete ending? Thanks.
Old 2009-11-12, 14:03   Link #13
d3ad3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewq View Post
This might not be the best place to look but is the ending to the show conclusive or is it an up in the air, incomplete ending? Thanks.
Conclusive ending.
Old 2009-11-13, 20:22   Link #14
blewin

Getbacker
Law of Ueki
Shounen onmyouji
Any of the "Tales" series.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-11-13, 22:59   Link #15
Haladflire65
*Artist

What about Soul Eater? There's technicians and weapons... Also there's scythe-wielders, shinigamis, ninja assassins, kishins (demon gods)... Some of the abilities are really wicked, animated. I suggest reading the manga also.

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-11-14 at 21:37.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:04   Link #16
Albafica
Pisces no saint

There is MAR but it's not really good for me .
Old 2009-11-14, 20:08   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Scrapped Princess
Darker than Black

oh yeah and... Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Trust me. ^^;
Old 2009-11-14, 23:45   Link #18
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Thanks.

I've checked out all the anime suggested above and so far, The Law of Ueki and Scrapped Princess are what caught my attention a little. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't like the others recommended here, but I need more time to look into them first. Thanks again.

Oh... I've already watched Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha before. All 3 seasons. Lol.

More suggestions are welcome though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewq View Post
The ending is quite complete I would say, with the main bad guy defeated and pretty much no one died. Though, some things are purposely left unanswered like the whereabouts of Zuko's mother.
Closed Thread