Spoiler for Death of a Character:
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 19:28   Link #2
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Spoiler for Death of a Character:

Depressing... I'm glad I don't have to rely on Cartoon Network / YTV / some other american channel.

Spoiler:

N E WayZ, hopefully those watching SeeD on TV will eventually encounter the fansubs / DVD's.

Cuz the dubs really don't do the show any justice at all. (hmm...is that the correct saying? oh well... back onto GSD 4.)
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 19:41   Link #3
ultrabot

The whole show was most likely pre-edited, and once thats done CN (or maybe bandai?) wouldnt want to re-do it to account for a timeslot change..
ultrabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 20:19   Link #4
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy265
Depressing... I'm glad I don't have to rely on Cartoon Network / YTV / some other american channel.

Spoiler:

N E WayZ, hopefully those watching SeeD on TV will eventually encounter the fansubs / DVD's.

Cuz the dubs really don't do the show any justice at all. (hmm...is that the correct saying? oh well... back onto GSD 4.)

I watch it for the sole purpose of seeing how badly the fscked over each episode.
Old 2004-11-06, 20:20   Link #5
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy265
Actually, YTV's version has been pretty much uncut so far.
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 22:34   Link #6
Keppers

If Cartoon Network had originally given SEED to Adult Swim instead of that damn Toonami, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

but I'm getting the DVDs as they release, so its all good. So far I've thought the English dubs have been tolerable, though not near as good as other recent releases in the US. The only thing I haven't been able to tolerate so far has been Lacus' first song. I'm SO glad all I have to do is push the language button on the remote twice to instantly switch it back to the original Japanese audio. Thats why the DVDs rock
Keppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 22:55   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Lacus in hte original Japanese sings so beautifully.

Its like being embraced in the feathered warmth of an angels wings.
Old 2004-11-06, 23:39   Link #8
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppers
If Cartoon Network had originally given SEED to Adult Swim instead of that damn Toonami, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

but I'm getting the DVDs as they release, so its all good. So far I've thought the English dubs have been tolerable, though not near as good as other recent releases in the US. The only thing I haven't been able to tolerate so far has been Lacus' first song. I'm SO glad all I have to do is push the language button on the remote twice to instantly switch it back to the original Japanese audio. Thats why the DVDs rock
So, when you switch English "mode", it doesn't have Lacus' song? (Japanes audio song) That's why I hated English version. They (the companies or TV staff) always warp the original anime. At that part, what did English version's Lacus sing? English version song or sing nothing? I forget to watch that episode on Cartoon Network, so I wonder what happened.
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 05:31   Link #9
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabot
The whole show was most likely pre-edited, and once thats done CN (or maybe bandai?) wouldnt want to re-do it to account for a timeslot change..
Exactly. We'd all like it to happen but it won't. Cartoon Network is apparantly disappointed in the ratings the series has gotten them so even if they could push for it, it's hardly a priority.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 12:24   Link #10
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'9999
So, when you switch English "mode", it doesn't have Lacus' song? (Japanes audio song) That's why I hated English version. They (the companies or TV staff) always warp the original anime. At that part, what did English version's Lacus sing? English version song or sing nothing? I forget to watch that episode on Cartoon Network, so I wonder what happened.
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with how the singer in English sings Lacus' song. She does sound alot older when she's singing, so I'm thinking that they use two different voice actors for the singing and the acting. I love the way Lacus sings in the original Japanese, so whenever I'm watching the DVD's in English, and Lacus starts singing I switch to Japanese.

Anyways I'm not surprised that CN edited Nicols death. A lot of other things were edited, such as the way Murrue shoots at the ZAFT soldiers in episode 1, so this doesn't surprise me. YTV has hardly done any editing, although they do cut out the scenes in episodes 3 & 5 when Mwu and Yzak yell out "Oh shit!" which is understandable. Judging that YTV hasn't edited anything in terms of violence in SEED, it's safe to assume that Nicols death scene will be left intact.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 13:32   Link #11
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Scorcher
Anyways I'm not surprised that CN edited Nicols death. A lot of other things were edited, such as the way Murrue shoots at the ZAFT soldiers in episode 1, so this doesn't surprise me. YTV has hardly done any editing, although they do cut out the scenes in episodes 3 & 5 when Mwu and Yzak yell out "Oh shit!" which is understandable. Judging that YTV hasn't edited anything in terms of violence in SEED, it's safe to assume that Nicols death scene will be left intact.
The most hilarious thing is the fact that the show airs an hour earlier in Canada than it does in the States.

How did they edit the "oh shits" out anyway? I forgot to tape those episodes when they aired for later reference, and I was going through the DVDs and couldn't think of any way they could've snipped the footage without completely disrupting the show, which I don't remember happening.
Old 2004-11-07, 13:41   Link #12
method

As said earlier, Seed was edited for toonami. So the hour it doesn't really matter. As for the Adult Swim comment. Bandai is trying to reach the younger demographic which is the same demographic as Toonami. Also gundam has been a intergal part of toonami since Wing aired. So it would stand to reason that Seed would end up on Toonami. Unediting is not exactly an easy process either.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 14:05   Link #13
Keppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
As said earlier, Seed was edited for toonami. So the hour it doesn't really matter. As for the Adult Swim comment. Bandai is trying to reach the younger demographic which is the same demographic as Toonami. Also gundam has been a intergal part of toonami since Wing aired. So it would stand to reason that Seed would end up on Toonami. Unediting is not exactly an easy process either.
Yup, I fully expected SEED to be shown on Toonami, but I was soooo hoping they'd change their mind and let Adult Swim have it.... I'm not really sure, but I think Adult Swim had 0083... no.. no that was the Saturdays thing. Think they might have had 0080 as well... I can't remember. But yeah, Wing, MSG, and I think 08th MS team were all on Toonami. Things just end up pretty close to the original on Adult Swim

Oh yeah about the English version of Lacus' song. It was translated to English, and it was sooooo obvious that a different voice actor was singing. And it just wasn't even close to as good as the original Japanese version. Its not that the person singing in English didn't do a good job, but the fact that it was English lyrics ruined the original feel for the song in the first place and on top of that the remixing wasn't that great. It just ruined it for me... but I heard the better version first too, so maybe that has something to do with it
Keppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 14:48   Link #14
method

0083 did premiere on Adult Swim when it first started its Saturday run. The thing is that 0083 was suppose to be aired on toonami which explains the edits that were placed on it. 0080 aired as part of Toonami midnight run and then aired on Adult Swim. Editing doesn't really bother me much since I grew up in the editted for tv era.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 15:05   Link #15
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
The most hilarious thing is the fact that the show airs an hour earlier in Canada than it does in the States.

How did they edit the "oh shits" out anyway? I forgot to tape those episodes when they aired for later reference, and I was going through the DVDs and couldn't think of any way they could've snipped the footage without completely disrupting the show, which I don't remember happening.
All they did was cut out the scene. Mwu is supposed to say "oh shit!" after the Archangel fires its canon and it unintentionally hits the colony. They simply don't show him saying anything at all after that. The same thing in Yzak's case. YTV has gotten the completely uncut version, and has probably done there own editing. In the CN version, for those two scenes, Mwu and Yzak yell out "oh no!". YTV will let them get away with saying damn and hell, but anything beyond that they'll edit.
Old 2004-11-07, 15:14   Link #16
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Also, since they edited the shortened intro into episodes 4 and 5 part way into the full length intro (but stopped after that, probably because of the audio blips), it seems obvious that they have all of the original openings as well. I hope they show them all.

Oh, and apparently Lacus' speaking and singing voices are both done by the same person.
Old 2004-11-07, 19:52   Link #17
Silver_Scorcher

Well, on the part of Lacus' voice actor (forgot her name at the moment), I gotta say she has great range. YTV will probably show the 2nd and 3rd openings in there entirety once they come along, unless they have a problem with showing Flay's naked shoulders in the 2nd one. Since the 4th one shows Flay's breasts, I doubt that they'll show it. As for CN's SEED, Tohru's decapitation will be edited, as will the exploding people shown in the end of operation Spit Break. I wouldn't be surprised if they edited the scene with Cagalli putting a gun to Athrun's neck in episode 31.
Old 2004-11-07, 21:45   Link #18
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they edited the scene with Cagalli putting a gun to Athrun's neck in episode 31.
Maybe it'll be turned into a Mallet Ala One Piece
Old 2004-11-07, 22:22   Link #19
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Quote:
Well, on the part of Lacus' voice actor (forgot her name at the moment), I gotta say she has great range. YTV will probably show the 2nd and 3rd openings in there entirety once they come along, unless they have a problem with showing Flay's naked shoulders in the 2nd one. Since the 4th one shows Flay's breasts, I doubt that they'll show it. As for CN's SEED, Tohru's decapitation will be edited, as will the exploding people shown in the end of operation Spit Break. I wouldn't be surprised if they edited the scene with Cagalli putting a gun to Athrun's neck in episode 31.
I thought the fourth one just used the Murrue sillhouette? Never noticed Flay. I think they might play the fourth one. When YTV first started showing SEED, I don't think they actually planned to play it with a 14+. By the time they get that far into the series, they might have a better feel for those standards and realize that it won't be a big deal, especially considering that the sequence in question goes by a lot faster in that particular intro.

Of course, we'll just have to see if they air the second and third openings first. If we make a big deal about it, they probably will. I think they're really desperate to please us.
Old 2004-11-07, 22:34   Link #20
F!reStr!fe
Unlimited Blade Works...

Send a message via AIM to F!reStr!fe
This may be

but Pepperridge intresting thing in ure sig lol..... Ive been to canada and seen some animes on lol

My Current Animes: Welcome to the NHK, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Coyote Ragtime Show, Bokura Ga Ita, .hack//roots
F!reStr!fe is offline   Reply With Quote