AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-08, 06:17   Link #1
jedinat

Good Manga

I'm looking for some good manga, preferably one that has some sort of romance in it, is completed, and has a good ending. I don't really like shounen... but if it's really good I guess I'll check it out.

Spoiler for Manga I've Read:

My favorite manga are probably Fruits Basket, Mars, Hana-Kimi, W-Juliet, Dear Mine, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou... lol, I guess I can't decide.

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-02-08 at 06:27.
Old 2006-02-08, 18:41   Link #2
Hiko Seijuro
Rurouni

Send a message via MSN to Hiko Seijuro
Add chrono crusade, i think it may be near conclusion...i think and hikaru no go (completed) it may not have romance but it kept me hooked.
Old 2006-02-08, 19:02   Link #3
jedinat

Thanks for your response. I actually saw the Chrno Crusade anime and 10 or so episodes of Hikaru. I didn't really like either of them. (especially Hikaru no Go, lame plot imo and it's way too melodramatic)
Old 2006-02-08, 20:50   Link #4
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Hmm Im not sure if you want completed licensed or completed in japan/scanlations of licensed/unlicensed manga so Ill just assume complete licensed. I would say alice 19th, ceres celestial legend, fushigi yuugi, marmalade boy, and princess ai. For ones that are almost completed with just one volume left are merupuri and othello. Kare Kano and Hot Gimmick are awesome manga as well and I know its not completed but there are already 18 volumes out for kare kano and 10 volumes for hot gimmick. Hope that helps
Old 2006-02-09, 00:15   Link #5
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartChick
Hmm Im not sure if you want completed licensed or completed in japan/scanlations of licensed/unlicensed manga so Ill just assume complete licensed. I would say alice 19th, ceres celestial legend, fushigi yuugi, marmalade boy, and princess ai. For ones that are almost completed with just one volume left are merupuri and othello. Kare Kano and Hot Gimmick are awesome manga as well and I know its not completed but there are already 18 volumes out for kare kano and 10 volumes for hot gimmick. Hope that helps
Yay! Another reply!

I meant completed scanlations

I tried Alice 19th... I don't really like that mangaka's stuff. The characters don't act rationally and everything has this soap opera feel to it. (she also did Ceres and Fushigi, I believe) I guess I might give the at least Fushigi another try (I saw part of the anime).

I have read most of Merupuri, for some reason that's not on my list. I thought it was great until the retarded memory loss incident.

I've seen the Kare Kano anime twice (once recently). I'll probably read it when the anime fades more from memory. They're too similar.

Hot Gimmick... I tried reading it once. The characters just aren't very likeable. And it seemed like it was going to be smutty, so I stopped. I like the girls in my mangas to be innocent

More suggestions are welcome.
Old 2006-02-09, 00:29   Link #6
lemondude
"super lemon"

How about Berserk, prety dark sure you heard of it
school rumble, sure you seen the anime but the story cont..
happy lesson, very much like please teacher, anime is somewat better
Bleach one piece, these you sure have heard and one piece isn' bad or at all.
DNangel, like school rumble story cont...
Shaman king different story from the anime.
Slam dunk story cont....
Tenjou Tenje, cont. story also way darker and a lot of other stuff.
Heard Gantz is good and chobit is ok.

That's all I can think of.
Old 2006-02-09, 00:38   Link #7
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
How about Berserk, prety dark sure you heard of it
school rumble, sure you seen the anime but the story cont..
happy lesson, very much like please teacher, anime is somewat better
Bleach one piece, these you sure have heard and one piece isn' bad or at all.
DNangel, like school rumble story cont...
Shaman king different story from the anime.
Slam dunk story cont....
Tenjou Tenje, cont. story also way darker and a lot of other stuff.
Heard Gantz is good and chobit is ok.

That's all I can think of.
Thanks man.

Let me just reemphasize this:
Quote:
I don't really like shounen... but if it's really good I guess I'll check it out.
The end of the Berserk anime scared me mentally. Does the manga have any of that crap?
Old 2006-02-09, 00:42   Link #8
lemondude
"super lemon"

it does and then some. The end to the manga which is no where in site, might scar you for life like it will to me.
Old 2006-02-09, 10:49   Link #9
miaka

romance with good ending - i always stick with Arina Tanamura's works such as
Ion, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Spacestranger Kyoko, kamikaze ...etc.
Old 2006-02-09, 19:25   Link #10
lemondude
"super lemon"

yo does Flames of recca cont. the story or not??
Thanx
Old 2006-02-09, 19:38   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
yo does Flames of recca cont. the story or not??
Thanx
Are you asking if Recca is finished? It's 33 volumes long and all of them are scanlated, I believe. I sort of got a little burned out on it after 12 volumes (shounen always does that to me) I'll prolly finish the rest slowly, with lots of breaks for other manga in between.

~edit~
No idea... never saw the anime.
Old 2006-02-09, 19:40   Link #12
lemondude
"super lemon"

no, but I'm asking if the manga cont. the anime.

LOL should have been more clear.
Old 2006-02-09, 19:41   Link #13
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
romance with good ending - i always stick with Arina Tanamura's works such as
Ion, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Spacestranger Kyoko, kamikaze ...etc.
I loved the Sagashite anime... how similar is it to the anime? And how does the ending compare. If it's not just as 'happy' or more so I don't want to read it.

I'll check those others out, I haven't heard of them. I did watch the Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne anime, if that is was kamikaze refers to.
Old 2006-02-09, 22:24   Link #14
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
I loved the Sagashite anime... how similar is it to the anime? And how does the ending compare. If it's not just as 'happy' or more so I don't want to read it.

I'll check those others out, I haven't heard of them. I did watch the Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne anime, if that is was kamikaze refers to.
The Full Moon wo Sagashite manga is about.... a million times better than the anime. The manga does start out kind of sloppy, but the overall storyline is so much more dark and distrubing. I'd recommend it 100%. It's really so different from the anime they are two different stories. Almost nothing is the same, just the basic storyline. The ending is happy, so don't worry about that. The manga actually has a lot more romance (between Izumi/Meroko for example, my favorite couple). Other by Arina Tanemura - Shinshi Doumei Cross. It's her newest work. Only out as scanlations.

Other manga - things by Ai Yazawa. My favorite by her is Gokinjo Monogatari. It's old and not nearly as popular though. It's the prequel of sorts to Paradise Kiss. They are all romance. Gokinjo Monogatari is nearly done being scanlated and ends happily. Paradise Kiss is done (out by Tokyo Pop) and finished. If you liked Nana you should like all her other work.

Kare Kano - Read the manga after the....9th volume if you don't want to read a repeat of the anime. That's about where the play and the ending of the anime was There is so much more story (12 more volumes) to tell there so don't skip it.

Emma - Romance, though it's not done and no clue if the ending will be happy. The manga is amazing though.

Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden - Better than Fushigi Yuugi because there is no Miaka (!).

Kodocha and Hana yori dango are classics that should be read. Though I'm not a huge fan of Hana Yori Dango~

Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte (Please Save My Earth) - I'm not sure you'd call this happy, but I like it. ^_^

Samurai Baby - Cute manga. Nothing too serious. Romance.

Sometimes I just go to Shoujo Magic and search under romance and see what I can find. Their stuff is usually pretty decent to read (though smutty at times). For smutty and humor go for Yoshihara Yuki. For non-smutty I love Chie Shinohara among others.

I know most of what I suggested aren't finished, but they are still good to read.
Old 2006-02-09, 22:39   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha
The Full Moon wo Sagashite manga is about.... a million times better than the anime. The manga does start out kind of sloppy, but the overall storyline is so much more dark and distrubing. I'd recommend it 100%. It's really so different from the anime they are two different stories. Almost nothing is the same, just the basic storyline. The ending is happy, so don't worry about that. The manga actually has a lot more romance (between Izumi/Meroko for example, my favorite couple). Other by Arina Tanemura - Shinshi Doumei Cross. It's her newest work. Only out as scanlations.

Other manga - things by Ai Yazawa. My favorite by her is Gokinjo Monogatari. It's old and not nearly as popular though. It's the prequel of sorts to Paradise Kiss. They are all romance. Gokinjo Monogatari is nearly done being scanlated and ends happily. Paradise Kiss is done (out by Tokyo Pop) and finished. If you liked Nana you should like all her other work.

Kare Kano - Read the manga after the....9th volume if you don't want to read a repeat of the anime. That's about where the play and the ending of the anime was There is so much more story (12 more volumes) to tell there so don't skip it.

Emma - Romance, though it's not done and no clue if the ending will be happy. The manga is amazing though.

Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden - Better than Fushigi Yuugi because there is no Miaka (!).

Kodocha and Hana yori dango are classics that should be read. Though I'm not a huge fan of Hana Yori Dango~

Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte (Please Save My Earth) - I'm not sure you'd call this happy, but I like it. ^_^

Samurai Baby - Cute manga. Nothing too serious. Romance.

Sometimes I just go to Shoujo Magic and search under romance and see what I can find. Their stuff is usually pretty decent to read (though smutty at times). For smutty and humor go for Yoshihara Yuki. For non-smutty I love Chie Shinohara among others.

I know most of what I suggested aren't finished, but they are still good to read.

Awesome post!! Thanks alot, I'm giving you a reputation point!

Spoiler for Question about Hana Yori Dango:

Spoiler for about Shinshi Doumei Cross...:

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-02-10 at 03:07.
Old 2006-02-09, 23:48   Link #16
lavielove

I'm not a manga fan. But I'm starting to think that I should read manga after reading some chapters of "Say Hello to Blackjack".

Can anyone recommend me some good manga too ?
[sorry jedinat<< I just don't want to create another topic that's why I posted in here]
Old 2006-02-10, 00:23   Link #17
lemondude
"super lemon"

hint: look above your post.
Old 2006-02-10, 06:39   Link #18
miaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat

Yes it is the same with the anime version of kamikaze kaitou Jeanne. Again, the manga is different with the anime. It has more story and the ending also is totally different with the anime version, but don't worry its a fairy tale ending.

with regard FMwS, i agree with Teletha. The manga version has a deeper story than the anime. For example
Spoiler:
Closed Thread