AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-25, 18:57   Link #1
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Hairstyle question

Here's the thing, I'm planning to grow my hair out ala Keanu Reeves from Something's Gotta Give or Tom Cruise in MI2. Basically the medium length hair for guys. Just wanting to try something new you know.

So I was wondering, do I just let it grow out or do I need maintenance cuts or what, and how long does it usually take?

You guys mind giving some tips on this hairstyle? Preferably from fellow dudes with similar hair of course. I would really appreciate it
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 19:18   Link #2
Chibi Nasu
Katsu~n wa Hyoutei

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Nasu Send a message via MSN to Chibi Nasu Send a message via Yahoo to Chibi Nasu
I'm not a guy with a similar hair-cut, but I do know quite a bit about hair, so perhaps I can give you some pointers?

You'll want to keep your hair well-maintained. This length shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you'll want to get some trims to make sure it grows in the right shape and stays strong.

Invest in good hair products, like shampoo, conditioner (when your hair begins to get longer--you don't need it while your hair is still short, really), a light cream pomade, and perhaps a light, flexible styling gel.

I don't know the texture of your hair or anything, but you'll probably want to get a hairdryer and round brush when you start getting length to get it to fall correctly, and perhaps even a hair iron.

Hope that helps, at least a little.
Chibi Nasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 19:31   Link #3
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I tried growing my hair out once. Let's just say that my mom made me get a buzz cut afterwards.... hehehehehe
Old 2006-04-25, 20:08   Link #4
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Ver 2
So I was wondering, do I just let it grow out or do I need maintenance cuts or what, and how long does it usually take?
Some hair tips from around the web and from me:
Quote:
If you have short hair how long does it take for your hair to grow to your shoulders?

An average person's hair grows at about 1/2 inch to and 1 inch per month.

Trimming your hair does not make it grow faster, this is a myth.

It is healthy to get a trim, but the best way to let your hair grow it's best is eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and enough servings from each food group. Also, combing your hair before you sleep and letting it down helps a lot. To grow hair down to your shoulders from a short cut by your ears would take 3-5 months depending on your hair's growing rate and how you treat it.
Quote:
Hair Growing Tips

Hair Growing Tips

Some hair loss experts have discovered that people have excellent hair growing results by following the Zone Diet, which is low in fat. Many other hair care experts recommend the Zone Diet as very helpful for hair care concerns.

Here are some other hair growing tips:

1. Eliminate or cut back on smoking, caffeine and carbonated sodas which weaken the body and block maximum hair growing potential.
2. Eat a healthy diet. Avoid foods that are high in sugar or fat.
3. Treat your hair like a piece of fine old lace. Treat it carefully avoiding any unnecessary brushing, combing or handling.
4. Avoid use of hot water, hot blow dryers or other hair care tools that may stress the hair.

5. Have a weekly scalp massage to provide stimulation to the hair follicles.
6. Do a series of ongoing hot oil treatments to protect the hair's shaft.
7. Have regular trims to eliminate split ends and allow the hair to look and feel healthier.
8. Get plenty of rest and sleep to allow your body to grow hair.
You could probably pass on the "hot oil treatments".

I have a lot of hair and it grows extremely fast. From my experience, with regular cuts to trim split ends and what not, you're looking at about 4-7 months depending on your individual hair growth personality and age. Remember: hair is dead, so what you put in your body is going to have an effect on your ability to grow hair (sans your genetic lineage). Also keep in mind that chocolate does not cause acne.

Hope some of that helps. If you run a Google search you can find even more tips. Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 00:25   Link #5
real folk blues..

i'm gonna sound sooo metrosexual after this..
the first rule about hair is that, just because someone looks good in it, doesn't mean you will. when i get a haircut, i just tell my hairdresser to knock himself out with the style, as long as i look good in it. in the end, of course it's up to you
just make sure that the hairstyle you choose will compliment your features, it goes a looooong way when making an impression.
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 03:20   Link #6
Chichi

Surprisingly the members here have covered the necessities of what you need to do. I will enforce 1.0.7.'s reasonings behind a hairstyle that suits you. It's hard for me to make a determined choice without seeing how you look though.

I work as a stylist at a Toni & Guy salon, now admittedly most of our clients are Japanese (obviously), and so their hair type is extremely straight, but when I worked in London, and even here, I do encounter other types where the hair needs regular maintenance as hair tends to grow in all angles and lengths. I suggest visiting a regular salon every eight weeks or so to maintain it, but that's just me.

If you don't like entering salons, or choose not to, buy the required hair equipment and follow advice on the Internet to acquire the look you want. Thankfully it isn't too hard to grow your hair long usually. Good luck.
Chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 11:01   Link #7
Homeschooler_Jenni
Rar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.0.7.
i'm gonna sound sooo metrosexual after this..
the first rule about hair is that, just because someone looks good in it, doesn't mean you will. when i get a haircut, i just tell my hairdresser to knock himself out with the style, as long as i look good in it. in the end, of course it's up to you
just make sure that the hairstyle you choose will compliment your features, it goes a looooong way when making an impression.

Yeah, sometimes haircuts might look good on one person,but not so good on others ~.~ Hope it turns out ok for you. Good luck.
Homeschooler_Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 14:18   Link #8
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

There are usually "makeover" sites where you can upload a picture and "try on" hairstyles/color; I think clairol.com has one or somesuch.
That being said, bring a pic into your stylist and ask him/her if it'd look good. Have them cut on the longish side, as it's easier to trim it up than go "Oops, I don't like it that short".

I know one friend who had his waist-long hair lopped off a-la johnny depp and had highlights put in.
ASTOUNDING change, I mean he was cute before but the highlights looked really good.
For maintenance trims you may head over to Hair Cuttery or the barber shop. For the first time, the styling cut, I'd recommend the extra money to go to a salon, it'd probably be well worth it!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 14:31   Link #9
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

My hair is a bit longer than that. But it gets a bit messy if you don't give it some shape aka haircut.

After a haircut though it became more managable, and neater looking.
It's an easy haircut to maintain ... it'll look fine most of the time weather you've been sleeping or someone ruffled your hair. It goes back to what it was very easily.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 22:41   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Hair styles? What are those? I keep my hair regularly looking so I don't stand out. But my sister told me to dye my hair a differnt color for her birthday wish, so i decided to dye it some other color then my natural color.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:41   Link #11
Vaines
Imagination's fool

Send a message via MSN to Vaines
I have exactly the same hair as those two in your pictures

Hoiwever yes, you do need to go to the hairdresser once in a while, especially since sometimes hair grows not where you'd want it to, etc. I suggest you get friends with your hairdresser, bring a picture, show him, and he'll try to help you get that and then, afterwards keep it.
Vaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:53   Link #12
Tabris

Slightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi
I work as a stylist at a Toni & Guy salon, now admittedly most of our clients are Japanese (obviously), and so their hair type is extremely straight, but when I worked in London, and even here, I do encounter other types where the hair needs regular maintenance as hair tends to grow in all angles and lengths. I suggest visiting a regular salon every eight weeks or so to maintain it, but that's just me.
Mint, I get my hair cut at a Toni and Guy salon. Though I'm like Chinese with thick semi-curly matted hair. I love going to Toni and Guy, the staff there are nice, the cuts are great and at the risk of sounding like an ass, it's worth it for the eye candy

1.0.7. summed things up for me.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 12:30   Link #13
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
The salon I go to is the Salon Bella in Chesterfield, MO.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 15:01   Link #14
Amun-Ra
þąıń

Having no hair is a major turn oné. You guys should give it a go. *thumbs up
Amun-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 18:26   Link #15
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaines
I have exactly the same hair as those two in your pictures

Hoiwever yes, you do need to go to the hairdresser once in a while, especially since sometimes hair grows not where you'd want it to, etc. I suggest you get friends with your hairdresser, bring a picture, show him, and he'll try to help you get that and then, afterwards keep it.
KOO! So how long did it take you to grow it that long anyway?
Old 2006-05-02, 08:23   Link #16
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amun-Ra
Having no hair is a major turn oné. You guys should give it a go. *thumbs up
I'm sorry but I can't do that. No hair for me would kill me. I can't go all Vin Diseal and go bald.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 11:18   Link #17
Vaines
Imagination's fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Ver 2
KOO! So how long did it take you to grow it that long anyway?
Well my situation is this : I didn't go to the hairdresser but like once or twice in a year, mostly to get cuts where I didn't want the hair to come growing, and I had a picture to show the hairdresser, so he wouldn't mess up the "plan" It took about a year, year and a half.
Old 2006-05-02, 15:18   Link #18
Roughy
-?-

i used to go get my hair cut about twice a year, but i never liked the cut =/.

but quite frankly, back then i spent like 10min infront of the mirror every morning putting in gel, got pretty annoying, so now ive just grown it so most of it reaches down to my collar bones.

been planning to do something about it, but for now i just make sure to wash it often so it stays all fluffy xD
Roughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:24   Link #19
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaines
Well my situation is this : I didn't go to the hairdresser but like once or twice in a year, mostly to get cuts where I didn't want the hair to come growing, and I had a picture to show the hairdresser, so he wouldn't mess up the "plan" It took about a year, year and a half.
Jus out of curiosity, where do you usually cut (the sides, near the neck, etc etc)?
Old 2006-05-02, 17:28   Link #20
Vaines
Imagination's fool

Considering I thrust my hairdresser, and most of the time I go there with my glasses and take them off so I don't see what he's doing I'm not sure. But He cuts the hair in a way so it gets to go to flow in the way i want it to, and also in front of the ears, etc.