Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-12, 11:56   Link #1
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
"Unique" Anime

im looking for something that is "different" its hard to explain, but i was looking for something that had an odd character, or something that made it significantly different... For example elfin lied had the whole vectors thing, chobits had persecoms, hand maid may had cyberdolls, rozen maiden had the doll things going... i assume you guys get the point.

So if anyone knows anything could you let me know?
Old 2006-07-12, 13:22   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku DASH!
Brigadoon
Mamotte Shugogetten (the girls are supernatural entities rather than robots but it's the same principal, and is a comedy)
Yumeria

They're about the only ones that spring to mind.
Old 2006-07-12, 14:18   Link #3
jedinat

Midori no Hibi - the main girl is on the main guy's hand...
Aishiteruze Baby - one of the main characters is a 5 year old...
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu - Guu has people living inside her...
Angelic Layer - the whole angelic layer thing...
Ranma 1/2 - Ranma is a girl or a boy depending on how fast water molecules vibrate...

Your request kinda sorta applies to nearly every anime in existence so I just threw some out there.
Old 2006-07-12, 16:37   Link #4
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

I'm not really sure what you mean by "unique", but from what I gather, you're looking for anime with non-human main characters in an earthly setting? If that's the case, try Kurau: The Phantom Memory. It has abit of a serious theme, but it's loaded with good action. It's made by studio Bones, if that means anything to you. The main character is an alien energy lifeform that was brought to earth by scientists looking to find a new form of energy. This lifeform unwillingly takesover the body of Kurau, a daughter of one of the scientists. She seeks to find her alien "pair" while doing all she can to help the new world around her with her special abilities, and to find a way to return her earthly body to it's rightful owner.

Edit: Oh yeah, you'll want to check out Wolf's Rain, too. The main characters are (you guessed it!) wolves, that have the ability to take human form. This anime also happens to be made by Bones (my favorite studio). You really can't go wrong with them.
Old 2006-07-12, 17:15   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If you are looking for unique shows then here are a few for you:

You should try xxxHolic. It is a truly off-beat wonderful show in which we encouter a strange event every episode. (Sort of like Kino no Tabi or Mushishi.) Each episode is unique and strange, full of its own unique logic. On that note you should also try Mushishi and Kino no Tabi. These are all unique gems with their own unique way of looking at the world.

In Peach Girl the uniqueness is provided by Sae, a bad girl whose scheming will twist your head around. Then, just when you think you know what to expect of her, she'll spin you again. It is the tale of two girls and the loves they find -- or don't find.

Then there is Seraphim Call which was released in a two disk set by Media Blasters for a bargain price. It is a truly unique series. On the surface it seems like same-old-same-old. 11 girls... 1 wish at Acropolis Tower... 12 episodes... You'd figure that it was just another moe or bishoujo title. Seraphim Call is the farthest thing from ordinary.

What makes Seraphim Call special, is that each episode is a unique example of storytelling. One episode is told entirely from the point of view of a stuffed toy. Another is the search to discover the truth behind a mystery, except that mystery is more desirable than truth. Yet another is one girl discovering what it is to be another. These episodes crossed realities, imagination, time and space. All without leaving their own world. This show had two basic types of episodes: Weirdness and Total Mindf*ck, with a few episodes falling somewhere into the middle. I give this a very high recommendation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-07-12, 18:54   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I didn't suggest Angelic Layer since I didn't think it really fit the OP's description, however I will second the suggestion anyway because it's a beatiful series

Also going to second Seraphim Call, 'twas a good little series.
Old 2006-07-12, 19:09   Link #7
Blaine

I suggest Yakitate Japan because it has comedy, odd characters and anime about bread is quite different, i enoyed the series a lot.
Old 2006-07-12, 20:49   Link #8
Akeval

i loved angelic layer, saw a few a while back, need to finish that one.

Anyway thanks for all the help, keep it coming
Old 2006-07-13, 01:21   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Have you ever heard of an unidentifiable being whose origin, purpose and existance is fiercely debated by beings across parallel universes?

Or have you heard of 'Integrated Data Sentient Entities'?

A girl whose age is an absolute secret?

A superhuman boy who has no powers?

And importantly a male lead who we would never know his real name, his purpose of existance and why is he the male lead.

Watch Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu/ Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-07-13, 04:32   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ C.A.
It doesn't get more unique then that...
I second Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
P.S. If you don't understand Ep1... jump to Ep2...
*tries to remmember what episode was Ep1*
Old 2006-07-13, 12:21   Link #11
Akeval

ill get to downloading it now

i just finished download possibly the weirdest looking thing, one of the characters is on the guys hand...i still dont understand, but its awesome
Old 2006-07-14, 08:42   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Ah. Midori no Hibi. Honey and Clover has its watercolor-style of animation; it's also the only josei anime I know.
Old 2006-08-09, 13:28   Link #13
lalala

midori no hibi i read the manga instead of watching it but i liked it alot
i also recommend it
Old 2006-08-09, 22:46   Link #14
CrYsYs
殺害

As people have said...I'd go with Aishiteru ze Baby and Peach Girl.

My suggestion though would be WELCOME TO THE NHK!

LOLOL great story about a guy who's been living in his apartment room for over 3 years and hasn't had much contact with other people since the dropped out of college. One day though, a random girl knocks on his door and offers him help out of this no-life kind of life.
Old 2006-08-10, 00:21   Link #15
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu and Mushishi with Mushishi being the bigger odd-ball. Mushishi is kind of hard to explain so I'd suggest that you download the first 3-5 episodes to see if you'll enjoy it. As for SuzuHaru...There's already enough people pimping out that show
Old 2006-08-11, 02:27   Link #16
Akeval

Whew my hard drive is taking a beating, but im keeping up with the suggestions , already seen alot.

Also i was wondering if anyone could point out some that had a comedy factor going? i've watched alot of these serious type animes, and the up-tight attitude is enough to make me go crazy...
Old 2006-08-11, 06:34   Link #17
vin.dictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeval
Whew my hard drive is taking a beating, but im keeping up with the suggestions , already seen alot.

Also i was wondering if anyone could point out some that had a comedy factor going? i've watched alot of these serious type animes, and the up-tight attitude is enough to make me go crazy...
I would second "Welcome to the NHK"... if you don't mind reading the manga.

The manga is very balanced between comedy and the seriousness of the issue. The beauty of NHK's dark tone was that it was either:

1. So absurd that it was funny but made you still think that while it was funny, it's one of those things that could honestly be really scary in real life.
2. So contrasting that when it switched from comedy to drama it really made you take notice. I was most surely freaked when I got to "that" part of the manga.
3. Three items needed to make a list.

The anime focuses more on the issue rather than the comedy factor.
Old 2006-08-11, 16:11   Link #18
skurai

omg no one mentioned rorouni kenshin also known as samurai x
Old 2006-08-11, 19:56   Link #19
Akeval

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurai
omg no one mentioned rorouni kenshin also known as samurai x
I've seen those, as most people have wasnt too big on kenshin, but samuri x was damned good.

And as for welcome to the NHK im going to grab that one asap
Old 2006-08-11, 21:59   Link #20
Sevaasu
My World, My Rules

well Beck could be unique cus its one of the only anime/manga out there i know that focuses a lot on rock.
Closed Thread