AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-09, 04:53   Link #1
yurai

Serious anime

Can anyone suggest any anime with a heavy plot, no comedy, no romance to interrupt the plot.
Basically a-la Samurai Deeper kyo, but doesn't have to be from past or involve fighting or anything...and nothing too horror. Thx, and if possible anime that is in here or that i can find on the net fansubbed
Old 2003-11-09, 05:03   Link #2
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurai
Can anyone suggest any anime with a heavy plot, no comedy, no romance to interrupt the plot.
Basically a-la Samurai Deeper kyo, but doesn't have to be from past or involve fighting or anything...and nothing too horror. Thx, and if possible anime that is in here or that i can find on the net fansubbed
What about Hikaru No Go? It contains only a little portion of comedy. And the most of the plot is about playing Go seriously...
Old 2003-11-09, 12:44   Link #3
NenMaster

junni kokki, last exile
Old 2003-11-09, 13:33   Link #4
7thMethuselah

Quote:
It's time you tried Serial Experiments Lain, there is no comedy romance or anything in it, just a plot that keep you occupied for days after watching the series, it's licensed though.
Old 2003-11-09, 14:54   Link #5
lordwu

Juuni Kokuki probably fits the best. I would suggest Crest of the stars/Banner of the Stars. It does have romance in it but the plot is quite serious and engaging.
Old 2003-11-09, 16:10   Link #6
Animaniac
On leave?

Evangelion.

Just don't watch it during the academic year... -_-;
Old 2003-11-09, 17:22   Link #7
Subaru-kun
Neurotic archetype

Send a message via AIM to Subaru-kun
Well, I personally would like to recommend Shingetsutan Tsukihime. After reading a brief description of it on CDJapan, I was almost instantly fascinated with the plot's concept, and the character designs as well as the the animation looked superb. After little thought, I went and downloaded the Prologue. After it had finished playing, I was everything but disappointed; the animation was far above anything I ever could have expected, the music was brilliantly orchestrated, the plot was emotional and suspenseful, and the overall atmosphere of it gave it the feel that just makes you think "masterpiece." I immediately knew that this anime was a must for my collection, and as time passed, I downloaded each and every version that was released, just so as to find the one that contained the best quality. Currently, the series is on Episode 5 out of 12, and IMHO, it has just gotten better and better. I look forward to every Saturday, specifically because in my Time Zone, that is the day of the week in which the next episode is commonly released. In my opinion, it ranks up there with such well-known and well respected series such as RahXephon, Rurouni Kenshin, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, and X. And while on the subject of other series, for those of you who would like a comparison, the show is a bit like a combination of Tenchi Muyo and Hellsing, with its own special touch.

Anyways, I would like to explain more about the plot, and the series's history, however, I've become exaggeratedly long-winded enough as it is, so I'll spare you the details for now. But again, to any of you who have not already, I suggest you download the series ASAP; the direction is great, and judging from its current pace, the series will only continue to get better.

Last edited by Subaru-kun; 2003-11-20 at 03:14.
Old 2003-11-10, 00:47   Link #8
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Some of them has a bit of romance, but they are definitely not romance anime.

Series:
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell - Standalone Complex
Juuni Kokuki
Legend of Condor Hero
Narutaru
Neon Genesis Evangelion
RahXephon
Saikano
Saint Seiya: The Hades Sanctuary Chapter
Scrapped Princess (has a fair bit of comedy in it)
Serial Experiments Lain
Wolf's Rain

OVA/movie:
AA! Megami Sama: The Movie
Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Ghost in the Shell
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence
Rurouni Kenshin - Seisouhen

Also from new season:
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Peace Maker Kurogane
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
TEXHNOLYZE

On the opposite extreme, I'd suggest Sexy Commando as having one of the most "un-heavy" plot.
Old 2003-11-10, 21:10   Link #9
Ebb101
Inactive Member

Spiral

it's got some comical references, but theyre very minor.
Old 2003-11-11, 09:32   Link #10
Sukato
Kendo Fanatic

Quote:
whew, thats a good way to narrow down anime, as most anime will have elements of comedy or romance, or be too 'light' for a plot.

I'll reemphasize Serial Experiments Lain, definately one to watch and make you think. Also the newer series that Subaru-kun mentions, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, is one to watch as well, but it has a chance of having romance in it.

Akira is definately a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
Some of them has a bit of romance, but they are definitely not romance anime.
Most of Sepiraph's list is pretty good, however as for Kima Ga Nozomu Eien..I would consider that as strictly serious of a romance as you can get, so I would stay away from that one if you dont want romance.

Also if you want more of a "a-la Samurai Deeper kyo" feel I would recommend Berserk, possibly Vampire Hunter D, the Kenshin/Samurai X OVAs (which Sepiraph also mentions), and X/1999. Peace Maker Kurogane might fit the descriptor that you want but it may end up being much too light if it continues as it is now (and it drives me crazy that the main character still hasn't killed anything yet..we dont need another post-war Kenshin argh!)
Old 2003-11-11, 18:43   Link #11
Lain

Serial Experiments: Lain

Akira

Ghost in the Shell

Neon Genesis Evangelion

In that order of superiority.
Old 2007-10-12, 15:43   Link #12
Mattavious

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurai View Post

I am not a fan of the goofy anime series where the characters make weird faces and have giant sweat drops on their forehead or streams of water shooting out of their eyes when they are crying. I think I know exactly where you are coming from and what you may be looking for.

1. Gungrave: It is the reason I actually got into anime. This is nothing but an awesome movie idea put to anime.

2. Monster: It takes it a while to get into the plot but when it does, you won't be able to sleep until you see the conclusion.

3. Hellsing. Great vampire anime series with a good story line.

4. Samurai Champloo: It's not totally serious but it is better than most.

5. Samurai 7: Based off of The seven Samurai but set in an alternate futuristic reality. Pretty cool.
Old 2007-10-12, 20:42   Link #13
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Mine:

Wolf's Rain - my favorite
Ghost in the Shell - you can get get the first movie, SAC, and/or Innocence.
Legend of Condor Hero
Texhnolyze
Gunslinger Girl - I think
Gungrave
Monster
Haibane Renmei - I think
Akira
Old 2007-10-12, 20:53   Link #14
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Serious with no romance? That's kinda tough, but Haibane Renmei is a very good one that fits.
Old 2007-10-12, 21:15   Link #15
Joojoobees

Haibane-Renmei FTW!
Old 2007-10-13, 07:39   Link #16
LittleBuddy
Young Member

- Trinity Blood (Vampires, a little, little part of comedy, almsot never and licenced... It is science-fiction)
- Witch Hunter Robin (Witch huning, very good but it's licensed... It happens in our time)
- Claymore (Demon hunters(Yoma precisely), really serious, really violent, really good and not licensed)
- Basilisk (Well it's really serious and really violent. It happens in the past. Licensed........ )

Sorry I don't know much unlicensed animes...
Old 2007-10-13, 09:49   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you haven't seen Miyazaki's Mononoke Hime, I'd suggest that. There's a hint of romance, but it's not central to the story.

Among current shows, both Seirei no Moribito and Dennou Coil have strong, serious plots and no romance. There are times I laughed or smiled in both these shows, though, but usually only because of something a character said.
Old 2007-10-13, 10:13   Link #18
Gameboiye
Big Reader/Small Poster

Monster. Monster is a definite must. 70 or so episodes of pure story, character development, and it's very deep. One of the best animes ever made.
Old 2007-10-13, 11:57   Link #19
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

and Bartender! I can't pass up any opportunity for this one!

I take it back. This anime has no heavy plot. I should've read your post instead of just glancing at it. I still think you'll like it though.
Closed Thread