AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-12-27, 15:36   Link #1
solomon

News

Hey all, just wondering how when why and what you watch/read/do for news.

Dependent on how I feel and the time, I can be a bit of a news junkie. I use all media but use the internet versions of established media outlets like the BBC, Washington Post, The Times, etc.

Favs are BBC, NPR, CBC and Al Jazeera
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 15:53   Link #2
Defron
Soy Bean

mostly read online news articles; BBC and CNN mostly. I never read the newspaper, and only occasionally do I watch news on TV.

My biggest news source is actually another forum I frequent.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 17:55   Link #3
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

I live in AUS so i generally either read the herald sun or i watch 7 national news, when i want international news*much more interesting* i watch sbs
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 18:18   Link #4
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

well generally my dad hogs the TV in the living room where we have our desktop and he watches CNN and BBC news alot of the time so I tend to watch at same time while waiting for stuff to dl

I also grab a free night issue of the daily record whenever I can, mostly for the sudoku puzzles and sports, but I'll also read other stuff too if I feel like it. well actually I don't tend to pay attention to much newspaper stuff as most of it is a load of rubbish but always makes for a nice little read on the train. But really only reason I ever garb a newspaper is for the sudoku puzzles

I use BBC sports regularly
Old 2007-12-27, 20:12   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Online: reuters/AP/BBC/several japanese&chinese feeds
Broadcast: PBS Nightly News, the various documentary journals (Now, Frontline, etc)
Paper: rarely anymore --- they're either owned by vast corporate interests or Rupert Murdoch.. or both.

Local news is completely worthless since its been mega-corped, national news will not cover issues that affect their corporate masters, they soundbite the politics.
Neither local nor national have any serious investigative journalism anymore.
Old 2007-12-27, 21:35   Link #6
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
The Michael Savage Show. \m/

Besides that, usually FOX/CNN and online sources which work much better in my case since I don't have a TV in the vicinity of my Computer, making broadcast news impossible from being watched.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 21:35   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I go for Reuters, BBC, and Al Jazeera International. Most American channels are worthless for anything worldly.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 00:11   Link #8
solomon

hmmm, savage? well to each his own but i hate talk radio on either side of the fence.

I head the Special Broadcasting Service is pretty boss, in America most news is very corporate, but I still think the Washington Post is a good paper. The Christian Science Monitor is great too. I like to look at the major corporate news orgs just for comparison against NPR/PBS. The Big 3 and CNN are ok, as for Fox News, I wont touch upon the fabled media bias debacle, It's just too tabloidy and commercial a network for me, but such is a Murdoch Venture.

By the way Sakura, what think you of the ABC?

Last edited by solomon; 2007-12-28 at 00:31.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 00:54   Link #9
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
I'm fairly a fan of Talk Radio because I believe a lot of those hosts are saying what the majority of people want to say, but don't quite have a voice that can reach to millions of people. I can't stand too much of it, though, otherwise I'll either start thinking about joining the military or giving society the middle finger.

As for Fox, to each their own. But then we start going into the realm of political and cultural preferences and that's not really a discussion I'd like to bring into an Anime discussion board. For example, if I wanna go from CNN to FOX, ( 42 to 44 in my area ), I don't use the "channel up" function in my remote, because then I'd have to watch MSNBC for a couple of miliseconds. ( To those who will neg-rep me for saying this, this is just a joke. )

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 03:17   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... all 3 pretty much suck when it comes to real analysis or investigative work (CNN, FOX, MSNBC) and all three are owned by individuals or conglomerates with agendas tailored for a small select power interest. So I'd suggest some diversity in information sources if nothing else
Old 2007-12-28, 03:45   Link #11
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I connect to the neural interface and browse the virtuanets whilst eating my favorite Flavofibs.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 04:31   Link #12
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Only news I actually read daily are ones that involve anime, etc.

I practically never watch/read the news. Though occasionally, something interesting will pop up, and I'll read those. Usually on yahoo.com's front page news...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote