AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-31, 04:11   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

[Manga] Claymore Chapter 76 Discussion

Welcome to the monthly discussion thread for Claymore, Chapter 76.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • The Claymore manga is licensed by Viz so questions about scanlations or answers about scanlation are not allowed. Remember that AnimeSuki does not enable downloading of any licensed anime or manga.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.

I don't know when Chapter 77 will be released but we can assume it will be on the 4th February (there was some confusion that it may be delayed a month but that seems incorrect).

Last edited by xris; 2007-12-31 at 05:14. Reason: Updated release date for chapter 77
Old 2007-12-31, 04:22   Link #2
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Who expected that whole regeneration thing from Agatha huh? I figured she wouldn't die, but wow... Like a jack in the box. I can't really tell how damaged Miata is, but she didn't look to happy. Clarice got a good talking to by the humans though. I bet that made her feel really stupid . And hey, Galatea just likes the people of the town! Awesome!
Old 2007-12-31, 04:23   Link #3
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
march? owch thats a long way away....
I think it's good. After boring 76-th chapter one month won't be enough for me to start longing for next one. In tankōbon this chapter would look great but after month of waiting it didn't strike me as last one.
Anyway, Clarice is stupidier with every chapter. If she wanted only to kill Galatea she shouldn't have allowed Miata to do all the work. Instead Miata should have kept watching Galatea not allowing her to escape. But no, it's better to kill one another and let awakened #2 get what it wants.
Hopefully next chapter will start with an earthquake and work up to a climax.
Old 2007-12-31, 04:24   Link #4
evil_kenshin

lol why was i quoted in a different topic? anyway all good its fair enough
Old 2007-12-31, 05:04   Link #5
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Who expected that whole regeneration thing from Agatha huh?
*Raise hand*
An AB would not have an appendage that fragile and exposed if it wasn't able to regenerate or protect it. Plus she already allowed spears to pierce it without damage, so...
Nice style though, way more refined than anyone else, Prisc included.

Moving on... Clarice isn't stupid, she's just overly cautious, zealous and doesn't give a flying fuck about Rabona. She thinks even by allying with Galatea they stand little chance against Agatha, so it's better to ally with Agatha, kill Galatea then get the hell out of the city. Good tactics, since she gets rid of both a traitor and a city opposing the org without difficulty, and then could request Alicia support to get rid of the Agatha nuisance. I'll say it again, it's like a mafia operation: Rabona wasn't "insured" by the org, so bad things happen to it... too bad.

Of course Agatha is fucking it up by damaging Miata, and Clarice is probably not badass enough to understand and accept all the consequences of her actions and let humans get slaughtered under her eyes. That can only end with Miata either awakening, running away or turning on Agatha, as things stand, if noone else appears.

Anyway... I think someone else will come. Galatea said they had 50% chance of killing Agatha when both her and Miata were at full strength. Now that both of them have been damaged badly, their chances have shrunk accordingly. That's the theme of the chapter, fighting even without hope of victory. Without anyone coming to the rescue, barring some miracle, like Miata & Clarice turning on Agatha and Galatea sacrificing herself, they are toast, Galatea first, then Miata then the city. If noone else comes, Clarice better have a huge role later on because otherwise these chapters will never be relevant to the main story.
Old 2007-12-31, 05:05   Link #6
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

It will not NOT be released in March. Next chapter will be released in 2/4. It is just called 'March' issue..(so do other Japanese/Korean manga magazines that they usually call the issue as one month ahead.... so like August issue released in July, December issue in November.....)

So there is no delay.
Old 2007-12-31, 05:21   Link #7
Fate_Archer
I'm blind not dead

I'm puzzled to how Galatea couldn't detect Agatha hurting Miata. She only realized after Miata's attacks became slower and less powerfull.
Seems that Agatha is a lot stronger than what we previously thought.
And even though Miata knew it was Agatha who was harming her, she still continued to attack only Galatea. This stubborn, or rather illogical resolution reminds me when she chew the bitter supressant. She didn't need to, she could just have swallowed it, but forcefully, she chewed the supressant pill.
She doesn't care about what happens to her, as long as she is doing what her mother had asked her to do.

Well, story-wise nothing really important happened in this chapter aside from discovering Galatea's true reasons for protecting Rabona and emphasizing the determination of the brave soldiers from Rabona's city.
But I really enjoyed this chapter, seeing Galatea blind and every time more harmed, bravely fight even though her chances are close to zero for simple but very strong reasons, while a bit painful for my fanboy side, made me feel proud for having her as my favorite character.
The rainny scenario also gave a new atmosphere to this fight, the situation is becoming every time more tough and difficult.

Though it happens many times, the pace of Claymore chapters doesn't have to be so fast and straight, sometimes it may happen that a chapter will actually emphasize, support and continue the previous situation, some events aren't only key scenes of a perfect schedule of scenes that will guide to a greater story development.
And to complement, though a bit (totally) painful, next issue apparently will be released only in march.
So we'll have 1 month of delay, giving Yagi plenty time to make a very detailed and if needed, fast pacing chapter. Maybe, like 1st chapter, it will (hopefully) have about 50 or 60 pages.

And I'm really impressed with the Rabona's soldiers. Those guys, on their contexts, even knowing that they'll die if they continue to charge against Agatha, they still continue to do so.
Unlike most cowards around, and not having any other means to fight, they will continue to fight for their city's and their people's sake.

Glory to Galatea, Rabona and their soldiers!!!

Edit to wnmnkh's post:

Hmmm... damm.
Well, it seems that my wish of a 50-60 pages issue now was gone.
Old 2007-12-31, 06:22   Link #8
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

Eh. This issue could've been added to the previous one. Nothing major.

@Flar: I think Clarice isn't as smart as you described! she is working on instinct IMO. Killing a Claymore in theory is easier than killing an Awakened Being or she was simply overwhelmed by Agatha's size.

But now that Agatha told about her weak point, I see it possible that she might be threatened by Rabona's soliders since they were able to cut her head off. Alas, Galatea can't regenerate as fast as Deneve or she would recover fast. I am no longer sure if she would survive or not.

Miata's awakening seems very possible at this point which will probably allow the fab 7 to popup from no where to save the day but if that happens, I am sure it will be well justified. I have faith in Norihiro Yagi

Last edited by Anima; 2007-12-31 at 06:35.
Old 2007-12-31, 07:23   Link #9
killer3000ad

Spoiler:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2007-12-31 at 09:38.
Old 2007-12-31, 08:19   Link #10
Higasino Isley
Isley of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for clay76:
Old 2007-12-31, 08:22   Link #11
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higasino Isley View Post
Spoiler for clay76:
i wouldn't say thats fair enough, their trying to defend their city

when you have one awakened being, and 2 claymores only interesting in offing another claymore , but not defending the city (so effectively 3 vs 1 even though Agatha is harming Miata) its their only option

they are brave even though they have little hope of survival , well atleast Sid & Galk are not sure about the others
Old 2007-12-31, 08:29   Link #12
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
Moving on... Clarice isn't stupid, she's just overly cautious, zealous and doesn't give a flying fuck about Rabona. She thinks even by allying with Galatea they stand little chance against Agatha, so it's better to ally with Agatha, kill Galatea then get the hell out of the city. Good tactics, since she gets rid of both a traitor and a city opposing the org without difficulty, and then could request Alicia support to get rid of the Agatha nuisance. I'll say it again, it's like a mafia operation: Rabona wasn't "insured" by the org, so bad things happen to it... too bad.
To me it looks like she's stupid. Even though she sees that they don't stand a chance against Agatha, she lets Miata exhaust herself and waste energy on Galatea. Ok, let's assume she would succeed and kill Galatea, what chances would be that they could escape from Agatha when Miata would be extremely weakened ? If she only cared about accomplishing her goal then why not get into action and increase chances of killing Galatea. Having 3 opponents, even if one of them would be just a decoy wouldn't be that bad. So again, she's incapable of thinking by herself (read: she's stupid). I bet that the Org suggested to her that Galatea might be blind.
It's better to ally with Agatha ? Ally ? If she really thought like that I would lose all remaining respect I have for her. All she could do was to use Agatha to kill Galatea, instead Agatha used Miata and she did nothing to change this. Requesting Alicia ? Do You really think the org would waste #1 just because Clarice said so (especially when You've just written that they're like mafia) ? Also, until Alicia would know about it Agatha would be long gone.
Old 2007-12-31, 09:36   Link #13
BaalChaamon

Clarice is getting on my nerves and im starting to wish someone would just chop her head off...nevermind.

Seeing my poor Lady getting stabbed left right and centre hurts my fanboy-heart greatly but her noble actions in the face of death and marginally slim chances of success really shine through in this chapter. Her character development has taken her to new heights, outlining the strong altruistic streak in her which makes an imminent death less (?) likely if such a rule applies to the Claymore-universe.

This chapter is simply used as a staging platform for a greater turn of events in the following one.The moral highgrounds of both Galatea and the city guards are explored and presented as a contrast to the Org. business approach, represented by the zealously naive and indoctrinated Clarice who should, ideally, be affected by this this display of courage and altruism and spark a change of heart in the latter. I believe that Miata's injuries act as visible, physical manifestations of the failed approach of the Org./Clarice and simply speed up the momentum created by Galatea and the guards by directly affecting Clarice on a very personal level.
Old 2007-12-31, 09:56   Link #14
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

We can't expect all Claymores to show forms of courage the way Teresa and Galatea do. These two are made special by what they do and how they respond to dire circumstances. I think Clarice is doing that which is very human, showing concern for self-preservation. It's Maita who continues to be frustrating by being showing little more personality than a dog. I'm glad she's taking a beating, but it doesn't bode well for Galatea.

Galatea on the other hand shows herself to be a remarkable character. Her reasons were nothing profound, but she had resolutely decided in protecting Rabona before she even lived there. It's that resolution that brought her to the city. Cool stuff. I do agree that it's inconsistent that Galatea would be surprised that Agatha has been hurting Maita. She should be able to sense this. I bet you Teresa would have known, because her sensing is still better.

BTW, I really liked how Galatea used the QuickSword and DrillSword on Maita. It's too bad she couldn't see that attack coming from Agatha which pierced her.
Old 2007-12-31, 10:06   Link #15
BaalChaamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
We can't expect all Claymores to show forms of courage the way Teresa and Galatea do. These two are made special by what they do and how they respond to dire circumstances. I think Clarice is doing that which is very human, showing concern for self-preservation. It's Maita who continues to be frustrating by being showing little more personality than a dog. I'm glad she's taking a beating, but it doesn't bode well for Galatea.

Galatea on the other hand shows herself to be a remarkable character. Her reasons were nothing profound, but she had resolutely decided in protecting Rabona before she even lived there. It's that resolution that brought her to the city. Cool stuff. I do agree that it's inconsistent that Galatea would be surprised that Agatha has been hurting Maita. She should be able to sense this. I bet you Teresa would have known, because her sensing is still better.

BTW, I really liked how Galatea used the QuickSword and DrillSword on Maita. It's too bad she couldn't see that attack coming from Agatha which pierced her.
Some inconsistencies in the canon I guess. It would have taken the 'shock' momemtum out of the whole chapter and destroyed the build up if Galatea had revealed where Agatha's tentacle really had been working at the whole time
Old 2007-12-31, 10:11   Link #16
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

Send a message via MSN to Siegzon Caritas
I'm astounded, but I geuss I shouldn't be. Clarrisse is described as inexperienced, naive and stupid. Here's my adjective: EVIL Clarrisse is a villain most foul! Blood red Agatha wasn't just ripping humans apart in this chapter; she's been doing it in the last chapter, too., literally bathing in their blood. They are dying right now, right before her eyes.

And even though she's weak her reaction time is still faster, much faster than humans and she just let it go on and on and on while rationalizing for herself. Hitler rationalized for himself.

But I geuss we give Clarrise a pass because she's Kawaiii and insecure. BTW, Clarrise's not stupid. She's quite manipulative, knew quite well how to play the role of mother.

@Flar Mafia isn't quite right; mafia analogy falls down because Blood red agatha is doing more random and massive slaughter than the mob or even gangs do. This is more akin to Idi Amin with Clarrise and the org being enablers, Clarrise even more so.
@Gooral Yeah you're spot on with your tactical analysis. Clarrise is not nearly as clever as she thinks. And to my point being stupid is certainly no impediment to being a low down dirty rat.

Clarisse not evil? Hmmm,..
1. She's witnessing one of the most monstrous crimes against humanity in progress. People being ripped apart by a possible abyssal with perhaps no end in sight.
2. She has (had?) the means to attempt to stop it with a reasonable chance of success.
3. She put her own desires first, knowing full well there was no one, NO ONE else who had a chance of stopping the slaughter.
4. It takes no outstanding courage on Clariise's part. She didn't have to get involved personally, only to point Miata at Agatha. No, she made a cold calculation, no heroism was needed for her to do the right thing.

The author is brilliant, he did not put Clarrise in a crucial role to witness a crucial event and gave her the levers consciously to change that event for no purpose This is an incredibly powerful moral statement being made here given the history iof humanity in general. All backdropped by the holy sacrifice of these noble totally rocking Rabona soldiers! And the totally so completely loving sacrifice of awesome Galatea! The author even gives Miata these shining examples but she refuses to see their heroism, still seeing the reality as tactics on a board and not real people.

But hey, she's kawaii and has big eyes, let's give her a pass. Thought experiment: Don't replace any of the dialogue or actions in chapter 75 and 76 but replace Clariise's picture with Rubel. Clar is Rubel in drag.

The Nurenberg defense is no defense! They hanged those people for standing by and watching the Holocaust.

I hope Yuma shows up and Yumapunches the *&%% out of her!!!!!

What was the damage Agatha inflicted? Were those holes in Miata?
Galatea must see no hope, is there a chance she feels someone coming?
Is it possible Agatha is an abyssal? or just about Duph/Rigardo level? She sure has an abyssal feel about her.

Unbeleivably cool episode. Cannot wait to see what happens!

Last edited by Siegzon Caritas; 2007-12-31 at 10:36. Reason: bobbled Clarisse's and Miata''s names
Old 2007-12-31, 11:03   Link #17
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higasino Isley View Post
Spoiler for clay76:
Stupid!? When the soldier try to protect their home land from powerful enemy, they are stupid. Put your body to the similiar situation, you are a soldier with some grenades, an enemy tank is front of you and your family is behind you. What should you do, try to destroy that tank or throw everything, run for you own life and dont care how about your family?

The Rabona Soldiers have no choice when the claymores can't help them, they try their best to protect their city and families.
Old 2007-12-31, 11:06   Link #18
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

Quote:
Is it possible Agatha is an abyssal? or just about Duph/Rigardo level? She sure has an abyssal feel about her.
I really don't think she is abyssal. Not even near. Her head was cut off by normal human beings. Plus Galatea stated that with Miata's help, the chances of winning are 50/50 while in her encounter with Riful she knew she can't do anything about that fight even with Jean and Clare. Of course Miata qualifies for a higher rank and if you consider that Galatea's power increased in that long 7 years period it might make a difference but still I think she isn't abyssal.

And if we consider that all the abyssal ones are all former #1 claymores, it makes Agatha's chances of being abyssal yet slimmer. I think she is in league with Rigardo and Dauf.
Old 2007-12-31, 11:27   Link #19
BaalChaamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceSmasher View Post
I really don't think she is abyssal. Not even near. Her head was cut off by normal human beings. Plus Galatea stated that with Miata's help, the chances of winning are 50/50 while in her encounter with Riful she knew she can't do anything about that fight even with Jean and Clare. Of course Miata qualifies for a higher rank and if you consider that Galatea's power increased in that long 7 years period it might make a difference but still I think she isn't abyssal.

And if we consider that all the abyssal ones are all former #1 claymores, it makes Agatha's chances of being abyssal yet slimmer. I think she is in league with Rigardo and Dauf.
Out of all AB and AOs we have seen so far she wins the prize for most attractive monster...still very disturbing though
Old 2007-12-31, 12:04   Link #20
mosmos
Awakend Of Course

Please just kill miata...

Galatea is trying to protect the city . Leave her alone!

Aagatha.... Please just kill off Miata and Clarice...

Summoning the 7 princess.... We have an emergency here. ....
Closed Thread