Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-26, 13:45   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 490 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-02-26, 14:03   Link #2
Fyria

Here is spoiler for 490, its not 100% confirmed but I say its 70% real.

Spoiler for Chapter 490 Spoiler:

Summary:

There won't be Impel Down arc next
Luffy refuses to go rescue Ace, yet.
Another awesome Marierois scene with Garp/Barthamelow Kuma/Sengoku
Strawhats reach Redline (?? I guess they would get to Mermen islande before)
Camie (Mermaid from Hazi cover story) appears.
Old 2008-02-26, 15:05   Link #3
james0246

I hope Camie is coming back . She is the ideal cute mermaid. I was always a little upset that Hachi didn't pursue her .

Lots of fun.
Old 2008-02-26, 15:17   Link #4
ellifeedn
Thinker

If Camie does return, then it proves that whoever is important in a mini-arc story will appear, and in some cases re-appear, in the main story. Does this mean we will see people like Wapol and Enel again?
Old 2008-02-26, 15:27   Link #5
Fyria

Enel is god of Moon and Wapol is President of toy manufactory empire and he is quite good hearted now. We won't probly see them in main story again.

Remember that spoiler may not be 100% correct, most of it has been confirmed but some parts can be hoax. I doubt that would reach Red Line that fast.
Old 2008-02-26, 15:31   Link #6
animernq

It's interesting how all the villians (except Don Krieg) aren't just forgotten but have their own story arc after they're defeated.
Old 2008-02-26, 15:43   Link #7
Crimson Reaper

I've only read about Camie on Wiki but she sounded interesting and hoped she would come back in the main story even as a brief appearance. Sounds like a hope fulfilled already!

As for Luffy not going after Ace (At least right now) I can't say I'm surprised. They most likely made an agreement years ago that when they became pirates that they would accept their fates. Or something like that.

Not sure about the Marine Meeting though, although more Garp is very welcomed and it makes sense that Marine HQ would be close to Enies Lobby. With Camie shouldn't we be heading to Mermaid Island next and not a pre-emptive strike from the Marines?
Old 2008-02-27, 00:26   Link #8
chitgoks

would be nice to have one last crew join them and that would be a merman or a mermaid.
Old 2008-02-27, 04:23   Link #9
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Reaper View Post
I've only read about Camie on Wiki but she sounded interesting and hoped she would come back in the main story even as a brief appearance. Sounds like a hope fulfilled already!

As for Luffy not going after Ace (At least right now) I can't say I'm surprised. They most likely made an agreement years ago that when they became pirates that they would accept their fates. Or something like that.

Not sure about the Marine Meeting though, although more Garp is very welcomed and it makes sense that Marine HQ would be close to Enies Lobby. With Camie shouldn't we be heading to Mermaid Island next and not a pre-emptive strike from the Marines?
Luffy doesn't even know what has actually happened to Ace. Luffy probably believes Ace'll take care of himself some how.

Some new pictures are up . Everything does seem real after all.
Old 2008-02-27, 11:56   Link #10
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

WHO IS Camie?

i can't remember hearing that name in the anime or the manga.

in the anime i have not seen the fillers. is she from there?
Old 2008-02-27, 12:04   Link #11
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
WHO IS Camie?

i can't remember hearing that name in the anime or the manga.

in the anime i have not seen the fillers. is she from there?
She's a mermaid from one of the cover page mini arcs; specifically hachi's...
Y'know at first i though it was strange that she be here in the grandline, but then i remeber that Hachi was "going home"... so even though he was arrested in East Blue, even if it was not mention, he may have very well found his way to the grandline, and that's where he met Camie and had the rest of his arc take place. it is rather interesting that Oda would bring up a character from the mini-arcs into the main story
Old 2008-02-27, 14:27   Link #12
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

thanks Slayerx. sory should have posted the question on Q&A. my intrest got the better of me....

i read the pages and it is weired that Oda would use her. it might be intriging to see what she does now and if she helps the strawhats or not?
Old 2008-02-27, 14:33   Link #13
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
thanks Slayerx. sory should have posted the question on Q&A. my intrest got the better of me....

i read the pages and it is weired that Oda would use her. it might be intriging to see what she does now and if she helps the strawhats or not?
Agree. While I definetly like seeing Camie in all her perfectly cute mermaidness glory, she could never be a crewmember or anything to that effect. So, I am expecting her to have minimal involvement in the story, only acting as a guide to Mermaid Island (where Troy Mclure was put to rest after his tragic death).
Old 2008-02-27, 19:38   Link #14
InitialD4

I love the spoilers... It seems like the mugiwara crew are heading pretty close to the marine headquarter. I was surprised to see Camie here... I totally forgot about that mini story with Hatchi. I wonder if she would join the crew?? Maybe not... If she does... what kind of power does she have?

But from what I remember, in the mini story I don't remember her fighting at all...
All she did was swim... served food... and look pretty... Maybe she can be the crew's diver...
Old 2008-02-27, 19:48   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD4 View Post
I love the spoilers... It seems like the mugiwara crew are heading pretty close to the marine headquarter. I was surprised to see Camie here... I totally forgot about that mini story with Hatchi. I wonder if she would join the crew?? Maybe not... If she does... what kind of power does she have?

But from what I remember, in the mini story I don't remember her fighting at all...
All she did was swim... served food... and look pretty... Maybe she can be the crew's diver...
The don't need a diver...they have a kick ass cool Shark Submarine...Ithink .
Old 2008-02-27, 21:12   Link #16
Monkey D. Luffy

I could see this coming, Luffy knows and recognizes that Ace is also a proud pirate a strong one at that. He probably knows or thinks that Ace will manage to survive or that his own crew will go an try to save him.
Old 2008-02-27, 23:04   Link #17
Yotaki

........Why is it that every time a new character is introduced, people have to start talking about him/her joining. And in this case, she hasn't even had a chance to speak yet.

Luffy see's a fish

I wonder if that fish is going to join the crew

Luffy see's a seagull

I wonder if that seagull is going to join the crew

Luffy see's a giant enemy crab

I wonder if that giant enemy crab is going to join the crew..........
Old 2008-02-27, 23:57   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaki View Post
........Why is it that every time a new character is introduced, people have to start talking about him/her joining. And in this case, she hasn't even had a chance to speak yet.
Well, a new character would not be introduced if they were not going to impact the workings of the Strawhat pirates somehow. Whether it is as a potential crewmember (ala Brooke) or simply an introductory character for a story arc (ala Conis/Aisa) or a guest (ala Vivi). That is how the character introductions have always worked.

You don't like Brooke, and that is perfectly understandable seeing all the strange enthusasim for this strange character. But let me ask you this: Did you like Robin when she first joined?

In many respects she joined much the same as Brooke did. No real back story, nothing really known about her powers (besides a basic name) and nothing really known about her skills or her dream(s). Really the only reason to like her would be the fact that she had a cool design, cool powers, or her laid back attitude, and none of those are particularly good reasons to like a character. I think we can both agree that she has blossomed beautifully as a character (poetic much? ), but that only occured over time and with patience.

It is entirely possible that Brooke will turn out the same way. Just have a little faith in Oda, he will guide you through these troubling times .
Old 2008-02-28, 00:52   Link #19
Slayerx

Well i think the spoilers have been confirmed

Camie!
She really is cute

And it seems that Luffy has brushed off the chance to go and find Ace while the rest of the crew was willing to go... however, one thing we must keep in mind is that while Luffy knows Ace is in danger, he doesn't know that he is Impel Down with no hope of escaping on his own... it could be possible that he thinks that Ace can get out any normal situation in a pinch, but doesn't know of the severity of Ace's predictament

or and we get to see a little discussion between Sengoku, Garp and Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD4 View Post
I wonder if she would join the crew?? Maybe not... If she does... what kind of power does she have?

She didn't fight... but what she did do, was get captured and was almost sold!... ya, camie ain't no fighter, not all... but ofcourse, Vivi and Nami weren't much of one's either when they showed up... and Ussop barely counted

regardless, i don't see her joing the crew... i see her playing a role much more like Conis
Frankly, i think the next crewmember would have to have legs; and Camie doesn't look old enough to do that yet... i imagine people will still predict her joining, much like how they predicted Paulie joining; not knowing that more interesting character was actually waiting to join ^^

Last edited by Slayerx; 2008-02-28 at 03:21.
Old 2008-02-28, 00:57   Link #20
SillyPirate

A mermaid... no purpose??!! But of course there is a good purpose. A mermaid would make a great addition to the 'crew'/sea tank; she would provide atmosphere, an emergency food source, and the bonus of being bottled eye candy for the chef. (probably wouldn want to let her out of the tank, she might get loose.)
Closed Thread