AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-06-10, 20:24   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Why is Ambition evil in anime?

I have a question about how in shonen, the heroes have something or someone to protect and succeeds against the bad guy who is either doing it for simple ambition. following the 'wrong 'ideal that usually entails world domination and even that he as no friedns. I don't whjether it has any basis in Japanese culture in general but usually in shonen that if the hero wants to be stronger, he has to have something to protect but does it have to do with Japan solely or is it a truth in television. Hollywood seems to teach that Ambition is Evil especially in Japan where you have concepts like Nakama and various social customs that seem to gear towards collectivism (forgive if it is inaccurate), why is ambition frowned upon where in a tale of fighting for one's family or friends?
Old 2009-06-11, 04:32   Link #2
npcomplete

So I'm gonna disagree a little bit. I don't think it's portrayed as "evil" per se. I see ambition purely for self gratification portrayed as.. well, selfish.

It might be stronger in Japan, but it's definitely not a uniquely Japanese philosophy. I think there's already a nice balance already portrayed in anime between self interest and self sacrifice. Usually ambition of the self-interest kind is actually portrayed positively when its effects are limited to ones self, such as encouraging a character to become stronger, more self-sufficient, or more individualistic. But when its scope is large, that's where its mostly shown to have negative effects, sometimes explicitly, and sometimes in the form of unintended consequences where the protagonist might find out the hard way.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 04:53   Link #3
othera

I've wondered this to, If you've seen the movie swordfish, The "bad" guy basically wants to rob the banks to buy nukes, Kill major terrorists, Save world. Robs, Then uses it to murder... But saves lives.

I can't think of any anime examples but
If you do a bad thing(rob, murder) and it has a good outcome(save hundreds+ lives) are you a bad person? I honestly don't know, Personally I have always thought that well, 1 life equals 1 life. Sacrificing 1 life to save 2 people means you have saved a person, You would have to be good if you saved someone right? :/

If you were given the choice to cure the entire world of cancer, But you would first have to murder 10 people, Would you take it? As great as that deal sounds, Most people say no. I'd take the deal even if it meant later being put on death sentence myself(11 lives to save millions is a bargain if you ask me)

With lesser things, I'd agree with npcomplete, Usually it's just selfish.
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 14:51   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
I've wondered this to, If you've seen the movie swordfish, The "bad" guy basically wants to rob the banks to buy nukes, Kill major terrorists, Save world. Robs, Then uses it to murder... But saves lives.

I can't think of any anime examples but
If you do a bad thing(rob, murder) and it has a good outcome(save hundreds+ lives) are you a bad person? I honestly don't know, Personally I have always thought that well, 1 life equals 1 life. Sacrificing 1 life to save 2 people means you have saved a person, You would have to be good if you saved someone right? :/

If you were given the choice to cure the entire world of cancer, But you would first have to murder 10 people, Would you take it? As great as that deal sounds, Most people say no. I'd take the deal even if it meant later being put on death sentence myself(11 lives to save millions is a bargain if you ask me)

With lesser things, I'd agree with npcomplete, Usually it's just selfish.
You can always have someone sacrifice your life without your consent to save 2. Or does the will to decide for yourself and value your own life as well as everyone else's automatically makes you the bad guy for not wanted to be sacrificed just because someone else decided that for you?

On topic, the best you can see in anime is the best you can see in movies. The cliche of a tormented villain, who became a villain because X. Most of the time they know exactly what they're doing. These villains usually only seek to explain their pattern of thought, not edify themselves. Of course, not having an example ready isn't nice. All villains that come to mind had selfish reasons to do whatever, but maybe that's just me and the anime I watched recently. But it's not a Japan thing only.
Old 2009-06-11, 15:08   Link #5
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I have a question about how in shonen, the heroes have something or someone to protect and succeeds against the bad guy who is either doing it for simple ambition. following the 'wrong 'ideal that usually entails world domination and even that he as no friedns. I don't whjether it has any basis in Japanese culture in general but usually in shonen that if the hero wants to be stronger, he has to have something to protect but does it have to do with Japan solely or is it a truth in television. Hollywood seems to teach that Ambition is Evil especially in Japan where you have concepts like Nakama and various social customs that seem to gear towards collectivism (forgive if it is inaccurate), why is ambition frowned upon where in a tale of fighting for one's family or friends?
I wouldn't blanket all shounen anime as being like that. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is basically the exact opposite of this and is very much a shounen show. It breaks down like this:
Spoiler for Basic plot spoilers for TTGL:
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 16:00   Link #6
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Usually ambition of the self-interest kind is actually portrayed positively when its effects are limited to ones self, such as encouraging a character to become stronger, more self-sufficient, or more individualistic. But when its scope is large, that's where its mostly shown to have negative effects, sometimes explicitly, and sometimes in the form of unintended consequences where the protagonist might find out the hard way.
This. The pure-bred shounen series One Piece even presents ambition as a power (覇気) that is possessed only by well-grounded individuals who are aware of their self and their place in the universe.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 18:06   Link #7
othera

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
You can always have someone sacrifice your life without your consent to save 2. Or does the will to decide for yourself and value your own life as well as everyone else's automatically makes you the bad guy for not wanted to be sacrificed just because someone else decided that for you?
Well I wasn't thinking, I used the word murder, And murdering yourself is well, Suicide.

But yes that would work : d
Old 2009-06-11, 18:12   Link #8
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
Well I wasn't thinking, I used the word murder, And murdering yourself is well, Suicide.

But yes that would work : d
O_o Not sure I understood the answer... So, if you were one of those 10 people needed to be killed for millions to be saved, and they just killed you without asking, it'd be ok?
Old 2009-06-11, 19:51   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Simple because those with ambitions are usually the ones who instigates wars and most people including myself hates war. I know.. To people who live and grew up in other nations may most likely see this perspective of mine as foolish but I do not care.

There are nations who teaches their people to instigate war and make them ambitious but I won't comment on that as it is irrelevant to this issue itself.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 07:30   Link #10
othera

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
O_o Not sure I understood the answer... So, if you were one of those 10 people needed to be killed for millions to be saved, and they just killed you without asking, it'd be ok?

Yeah, I've always been the 1 to think that I would without a second thought risk my life, If it was to save something more important.
As long as it doesn't seem like a stupid decision, And is atleast almost guaranteed to work, Of course I'd try to come up with a way that wouldn't involve me dying.
Old 2009-06-15, 10:15   Link #11
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And who guarantees it will work? Is the person pulling the trigger/injecting the poison/tying the knot/whatever, truly infallible? If not, then this whole notion is pointless, I think.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 10:19   Link #12
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And who guarantees it will work? Is the person pulling the trigger/injecting the poison/tying the knot/whatever, truly infallible? If not, then this whole notion is pointless, I think.
Not to mention that willing to sacrifice yourself is vastly different than willing to sacrifice other people.
Old 2009-06-15, 10:37   Link #13
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

There's that, as well.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 16:49   Link #14
Diazt3r

usually ambition is portrayed as what initially is well intended becomes a selfish act, leads to corruption, then tragedy or redemption of the hero
Diazt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 17:49   Link #15
animeboy12

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 20:08   Link #16
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post
I never really liked that quote. I mean, most walk down that cause of ill intentions Although it does apply to the self-righteous that go too far I suppose.
Old 2009-06-16, 04:17   Link #17
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazt3r View Post
usually ambition is portrayed as what initially is well intended becomes a selfish act, leads to corruption, then tragedy or redemption of the hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post

My reach is global
My tower secure
My cause is noble
My power is pure
Old 2009-06-16, 17:05   Link #18
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I've never seen ambition portrayed as evil or bad in any manga/anime. Many protagonists even of shounen anime have high ambitions like Naruto. He wants to be the leader of his village and to stamp out war, not exactly a small ambition.

What I see being portrayed as evil is a lust for or corruption by power. That or the ambition that the villain had was for evil to begin with.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 17:42   Link #19
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Its not usually so much as ambition that they are demonizing, but more greed or recklessness. However i also think this is part of the grand change over to bring all bad guys into the grey. The movie industry saw people reacted well to the anti-hero, or the grey villian.They decided to cash in on this and cut out the bad guy and give them all some sort of saving reasoning that makes their original intentions not so evil.

The best example i can remember is Doc Ock in Spiderman 2. In the comic books he pretty much went crazy and is pretty much just evil. In the movie, its all the arms fault.

Ironically some of the most liked villains are now the pure psychopaths/just plain evil. the Green Goblin, Venom, Joker.

Well, that my two cents.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 22:26   Link #20
npcomplete

Yeah I think that's the inevitable evolution of entertainment since life itself is not black and white. Everyone has a little devil on one shoulder and a little a angel on the other. This is one of the aspects I enjoy in anime.