AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-28, 12:04   Link #1
KuroKanji

Need serious anime help.

Alright, so. After much browsing of the internet to see if someone had the same problem as me with this - I decided just to ask. I need a new anime to watch, pretty bad because I have some serious spare time.

I loved the punk, blood, gunslinger feel of Hellsing. I died over the comedy, action aspects of both Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. And I fell in love with how Katekyo Hitman Reborn brought you into knowing and loving the characters and seeing them develop. (Not to mention I've already watched Kenshin and Gungrave and loved them.)

So I guess I'm looking for either a serious action anime, with nice amounts of blood, a good story and potentially bits of comedy - or a comedy action that really brings you into the story and makes you fall in love with the characters. @.@ Any help is appreciated! ^^;
Old 2010-03-28, 12:14   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I feel like Soul Eater would be a good fit with your tastes. Retro-futuristic backgrounds, strong characters, some violence, some humor, even a little gunslinging.
Old 2010-03-28, 12:26   Link #3
KuroKanji

Sounds good, looked into a bit - seems pretty cool. Know anything else, potentially with the same amount of episodes or more? But...not too run on.
Old 2010-03-28, 14:58   Link #4
Haladflire65
*Artist

Hm, as a fellow Hellsing fan, I have to make some recommendations... They're not exact matches (most are missing the 'story' and 'loveable characters' aspects) but I enjoyed these series a lot, too:

- Darker than BLACK. A little weaker on the story side (it's pretty episodic until the last couple of epis) but there's action, blood, baddassery, and random comedic bits inbetween. It's assassins and superpowers and stuff. Really cool. I personally loved all the characters.
- Karas. Again, the story doesn't really make much sense but you have to see this for its fight sequences - the animation's stunningly done and there's a good amount of weird supernatural gore. It's an OVA, though, so only 6 episodes. It gives you very little time to bond with any of the characters, though, and it doesn't help that they don't get a lot of development.
- Baccano!. It has a little less action (but it still exists and it's not bad at all when it comes), and relies heavily on a very strong story, which is made up of meshed-together plots of a dozen different characters. Confusing at first but the result is impressive. It's heavy on the violence.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Okay, this is more just plain epic explosive action and characters you'll quickly grow attached to. There's no gore but some of the action sequences are a treat. The story's pretty decent, too, and it doesn't require too much brain (like Baccano!.)

You might like Trinity Blood, too. I've just started but there's blood, action and a story seems to exist, so you might as well give it a shot
Old 2010-03-28, 15:14   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Have you ever looked at Fullmetal Alchemist?

The Second Raid season of Full Metal Panic might also fit the bill, but you'd have to go through the more comedic first season first.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-03-28, 16:01   Link #6
KuroKanji

More good suggestions, cool. Yeah - I've seen Trinity Blood and think you'll like that and, as for FMA I've done my part watching that, really enjoyed it too, haha.
Old 2010-03-28, 16:04   Link #7
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

I'll have to second Fullmetal Alchemist but I suggest you watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is still airing and is going to finish the manga's plot. It's slated for 63 episodes and currently at 50. It contains plenty of gore, action and a fair amount of comedy. I'm sure you'll love the characters.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-28, 16:18   Link #8
KuroKanji

Oh! Another series I liked was "Jing King of Bandits" if that brings about any more suggestions. Was thinking about watching DNAngel maybe.
Old 2010-03-28, 16:32   Link #9
Niji

I suggest Death Note. Nice amount of dead bodies, development of like-able chars. And darn interesting story, with comedic moments. Not exactly what you asked for, but you might enjoy it indeed.

For action with alot of violence, and gore, check out Black Lagoon. Very likeable chars, good enough story.
Old 2010-03-28, 19:55   Link #10
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Samurai Champloo
Michiko to Hatchin
FLCL
Old 2010-03-28, 21:22   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I suppose you might try Neon Genesis Evangelion... If you can stand the rampant symbolism and mind screw.

Code Geass might also fit the bill.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-03-28, 22:03   Link #12
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
seconded....

Darker than Black
FMA
Samurai Champloo
Guren Lagann
Black Lagoon
Code Geass

though I don't know if these titles will fit what you're looking for but I definitely recommended them bec. of their good plot and storyline including the characters....

adding

Claymore - action, bloody? this is what you're looking for...

Read or Die - It's nice for an action anime I think...

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - better than KHR I think...

Ghost In the Shell - one of the best anime
Old 2010-03-28, 22:05   Link #13
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
pretty much everything i would reccomend has already been mentioned. all the recs you have so far you would enjoy.
Old 2010-03-29, 00:58   Link #14
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroKanji View Post
Oh! Another series I liked was "Jing King of Bandits" if that brings about any more suggestions. Was thinking about watching DNAngel maybe.
DNAngel is a nice romance story along with some action involved. I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for considering your initial request. But I enjoyed it so I would still recommend it.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-29, 01:05   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Since no one suggested it, I'll add D.Gray Man. Inconsistent but marvelous at its best.
Old 2010-03-29, 01:55   Link #16
Peterbigeyes

Ga-rei Zero FTW
Old 2010-03-29, 03:41   Link #17
bateszi

Send a message via MSN to bateszi
Wolf's Rain, Berserk and Monster are all shows I'd recommend to someone that enjoyed the likes of Bebop and Gungrave. These are restrained, compelling dramas where the characters (all adults) are forced to grow and change over time.

Also, Baccano! would be an awesome choice to follow-up from Hellsing; both are all-out crazy and violent with weird supernatural elements! Albeit Baccano! is slightly more rooted in reality.
Old 2010-03-31, 21:05   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I haven't seen all the shows you mention, but from the descriptions I think Black Lagoon is probably the recommendation that is closest to what you're looking for. Claymore is strong contender, but it's rather relentlessly serious. Baccano! takes some patience at the outset, but it pays off later on. Monster is perhaps my favorite show, but again it's heavily dramatic with little comedy along the way. All these shows have well-drawn characters that you can't help but admire.

I'll throw out four other suggestions that no one else has mentioned.

Noein has everything you asked for -- a serious and complex story, lovable characters, and remarkably animated action sequences. (It's the best $20 you can spend on an anime series and very under-appreciated.)

Next is Seirei no Moribito. Though it has a fantastical story with a fantastical conclusion, it's still one of the most human stories in anime. Again we have powerful, sympathetic characters and some spectacularly animated action sequences. The quality of the animation in Moribito sometimes rivals that of film.

Then there's Kure-nai. You'll sympathize immediately with the characters and simply enjoy this unusual mixture of slice-of-life, action, comedy, and drama. (In my personal pantheon it competes with Natsume Yuujinchou for "best show by Brains-Base" ahead of both Baccano! and Durarara!!.)

Finally, let me recommend Oh! Edo Rocket. Rocket doesn't have much in the way of action, but it mixes another group of lovable characters into a complex, often hilarious story about censorship and authoritarian rule.
Old 2010-04-04, 21:50   Link #19
Nina.Uhul
Hi >.<

get backers
Closed Thread