View Single Post
Old 2005-12-29, 05:45   Link #15
ShuiMei

Bleach? Lacking in creativity? Not at all. I think Kubo's done an absolutely amazing job with the series all the while having the series follow the basic codes and conventions of shounen series. Regardless of the fact that there are some really typical elements in the series, Kubo manages to keep his readers on their toes, surprising them with plot twists and other developments. Just when you think you know where he's going he throws something out there and it just makes your brain hurt :P

In regards to Naruto vs. Bleach, I'd take Bleach, I like watching both but Naruto doesn't captivate me the same way Bleach does, you know where Kishimoto's going with his story and while Kubo has planned everything in Bleach ahead of time, or so he says, there's always something that throws you off- like in the current manga arc in Bleach, I don't know where it's all really going but I think it's absolutely gripping and I want to find out. I don't get that same sense of urgency when I read Naruto.

I also think Kubo knows how to develop his characters much better than Kishimoto, despite having an ungodly amount of characters. Even when he just introduces a character you have a good idea of what kind of person that character is, when it comes to Kishimoto there's still characters that he introduced from the start that we still don't really know anything about :/ In the Narutoworld it seems like basically everyone is either a hard-worker or a genius, if you're not one of those things you're not really going to get too much development as a character or you're not really that important :/