AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-21, 21:00   Link #1
THX

Manga Suggestions?

Could someone recommend me a few mangas? I would like to read something along the lines of Berserk and Claymore. Dark fantasy setting with a good story to back it up. Thanks!
Old 2007-06-21, 21:53   Link #2
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Hoshin Engi (is this the right title?) - fantasy story with a quite lot of bloodshed...
Vagabond - samurai story

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...

Last edited by Furuno; 2007-06-21 at 22:13. Reason: Addition
Old 2007-06-21, 22:11   Link #3
kayos
Banned

Blade of the Immortal, if you don't mind an immortal samurai protecting a girl who's seeking revenge against a clan of rebel samurai and every other badasses that appears along the way.
Old 2007-06-22, 21:25   Link #4
THX

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have others to suggest? As I've already read Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal, I liked both -though not to the same degree as berserk and claymore.
Old 2007-06-23, 00:32   Link #5
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Hoshin Engi (is this the right title?)
Full name being "Senkai-den Hōshin Engi", occasionally spelled as "Houshin". A.K.A. "Soul Hunter". And as the English title implies, yes, lot's of people die with full-scale wars being waged several times throughout the series. At 23 volumes, it's kinda long but not as overstretched as Naruto or Bleach.

Quoting Wikipedia:
Quote:
The manga was inspired by a series of novels by Tsutomu Ano, which were in turn based on the ancient Chinese novel Fengshen Yanyi. The story involves the legendary history of China, in particular the last members of the In (Yin Dynasty) and the plot to overthrow them.

Somewhat similar, Shin Angyo Onshi is based on Korean legends and perhaps some real historical events as well.
Quoting Anime News Network:
Quote:
After the disappearance of the kingdom of Jushin, the power-hungry governors bring terror to the defenseless villagers. Only one of the secret agents of that kingdom is left, the Angyo Onshi named Mun-Su. Together with his bodyguard Mon-Ryong, he travels the country to protect the oppressed and punish the tyrants. Much of the story mixes Korean legends and historical truths.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-06-23 at 09:32.
Old 2007-06-24, 02:32   Link #6
BlueJar
Piggy Out there?

...thinking...I really enjoyed Hellsing. It has a different take on Stroker's Dracula. It is both dark and has hints of romantic episodes. I enjoy the manga better than either of the anime adaptations. Hope it helps!
Old 2007-06-25, 00:25   Link #7
Z0MBR0
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

BLAME! its a good dark bizarre anime with a lot stuff blowing up and pretty weird sci fi characters
Eden Its an Endless World its so good...such a good story so far..it pretty much has everything violence, nudity, blood, guts, gun fights, the list goes on...i highly recommend this manga
Old 2007-06-25, 05:01   Link #8
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Strictly speaking, Blame!'s cyberpunk, not fantasy. But what the hell, you could give it a shot anyway. Good luck trying to figure out the story though, it requires more brain cells than most action titles since it's seinen, not shounen.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-06-25, 12:31   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I will recommend Samurai Deeper Kyo, just don't watch the anime, as it sucks, but the manga rocks
Old 2007-06-25, 17:03   Link #10
THX

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check them out.
Closed Thread