Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-23, 09:41   Link #21
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Hasn't there been a thread about the definition of anime already? Um... I hope I can find it. Nope can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
I had a question that is probably not related to what most people might define as "anime", which brought up in my mind: what exactly does fit the definition of anime? Could it be broadly defined as anything animated? Or only anything animated that is produced in Japan? Inspector Gadget was made in Japan on contract to an American production company (Kia Asamiya's first job in anime was as an in-betweener on Inspector Gadget) - does that make Inspector Gadget an anime? Or is it anything produced in the Japanese language? Or how about anything animated that is produced in asia - should we count out manwha and other stuff produced in Korea? Or is it limited to animation? AnimeSuki carries torrents for Densha Otoko, which isn't even animated.

What's your answer?
In the general sense, yes, animation is anything animated. Anime is a word derived from Animation which was borrowed from the US to Japan and anime was created (the word). AnimeSuki isn't all about anime, by the way.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 10:12   Link #22
ibreatheanime

In japanese anime is anything animated, so they would referr to american cartoons as anime... however in other parts of the world, anime is used to referr to japanese animation, or animation in the same (or similar)style.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:13   Link #23
arcadeplayer987

Take a look here to see what anime meen:http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 08:21   Link #24
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

it used to be 2d cel animation, with more adult themes.
Now that cel animaton is pretty much dead (something I'm not pleased about), 'm forced to leave it as animation with adult themes.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 15:04   Link #25
Icehawk

I personally define it primarily as animation who's production and creator is of Japanese in origin. For something like say Robotech: Shadow Chronicles that has visually anime artwork but whose production was not originated from Japan, I dont consider it "true" anime, just an "anime style" feature.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 17:04   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I guess I generally consider "anime" as animated programs from Japanese production houses that are primarily distributed to Japanese audiences. The growth of productions targeted at both Japanese and non-Japanese audiences (like Blood+ or, perhaps, Black Lagoon) may blur this boundary over time, but I think it's fair to say even shows like these are produced "primarily" for the Japanese audience.

Programming by Korean houses working for Japanese producers making shows targeted at Japanese audiences would be classified here as "anime." If those same houses work on a show for Turner aimed at American audiences, I wouldn't call those shows "anime."

Your mileage may vary.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 06:24   Link #27
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Like what has been said before anime is a generic term for animation. So when certain otaku fanatics get all huffy puffy when I call Avatar anime I remind them of this to piss them off even more and assert my dominance. Just keeping it real.

Yet I still in my vernacular seperate anime as being something distinctly Japanese, while I call American animation 'cartoons'. Deep down I know the truth though.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 19:23   Link #28
Nergol

Let me put it this way:

If a friend invited you over to "watch some anime", and when you got there they played some episodes of Paw Paw Bears, would you feel like you hadn' ended up watching what you expected?

If your grandma asked you what you wanted for your birthday and you said "Some anime DVDs", would you be disappointed if she gave you the complete box set of Yogi Bear?
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 01:50   Link #29
Diedrupo

Any cartoon that is produced by Japan is my definition. So japanese cartoons that used korean or american animation studios fall into this.

That doesn't mean there aren't any anime imitations (such as the scene in Kill Bill vol 1). Though there really isn't a term for these yet.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 10:38   Link #30
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
What defines "anime"

Ah the age-old question. Before I begin, allow me to say to the mods that, if a topic like this exists go ahead and delete it (knowing full well you'd do it without my permission ) I just like to give the heads-up that I am unsure if I am just taking up valuable memory (or however it works).

This is a question that has never been far from my mind, what is considered anime? Of course this question is rhetorical, anime is defined as a slang term for Japanese animation, but what is considered Japanese animation?

Most people of the otaku generation would not consider shows like Teen Titans, Avatar, or that GOD awful Totally Spies, anime. The more respectful anime-watchers would say they are influenced by anime, and the least respectful...well I'm sure you know what they call it. But why are they not considered anime? Because they are created by non-Japanese artists or becaus they are not made in Japan? I am not saying they are anime, although there was a time I was interested in TT because of it's anime-ish qualities I never really considered it an "anime". Nor am i saying they are poor shows, they definently have their own fanbase (Avatar is doing really well).

So that's my question. What defines anime and manga for you, the readers/watchers? Is it the animation? The creators? The country of origin? Or a combination of these three plus more?

I won't get into detail WHY I decided to ask this question, but instead will pose to you another question to respond to your curiosity. What if, a pure-Caucasian American (I say pure in the fact that I reflect sunlight I'm so white) learned Japanese, travled to Japan, befriended (hire) an illustrator, and created his own manga that turned out to be picked up by a manga/manga magazine? Would you read it even if an American name was printed as it's creator? I ask this because as an elitist of manga/anime, I usually don't pick up manga (or Amerimanga, however you wish to view it) because of the foreign names on the binder. Granted, a lot of the drawings are not to my preference (I mean really, it's so obvious they try too hard to make it like every other manga) but even so.

I don't want to give you my whole life story. I realize the complications involved in publishing a manga, much less for me to learn Japanese and become a citizen, but first and foremost, and one final question to satisfy my ego...

Would you consider a graphic novel written (but not drawn) in Japan by an American-born writer a manga? And would you read it?

(Okay two questions. No flames please, but don't be afraid to ask any questions)
Meiaminkbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 13:15   Link #31
arcadeplayer987

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 13:48   Link #32
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Mmm, I'm well aware of the wiki entry on anime, but I am asking the community itself. I realize answers will vary but I'd like to know how the audience sees it.

EDIT: Before anyone begins giving me definitions and cultural background, yes, I am WELL AWARE that anime on the whole is animation and by that standard all cartoons are considered anime. HOWEVER, we all differentiate what the more subtle meanings of the word means and thus is why I pose to everyone the questions in my last post.

I don't want someone to quote Webster, I'm a well educated man and I know full well what it means, but that is not what I'm asking. If you are to respond to my question of "what is anime to you" with "anime is japanese for animation" you are therefore proving to me that you consider all cartoons as anime even though you know that that is not the question I asked you. I would appreciate it if people did not take the smart-aleck route to answer a philisophical question like this, as it interests me greatly for many reasons why one would think such.

Last edited by Meiaminkbell; 2007-06-26 at 14:02.
Old 2007-06-26, 15:05   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um..... sounds a bit like you already have your answer in mind and you've eliminated most of the possible answers.

If you check the remainder of this thread, pretty much every possible answer (including the "idiot" answers) has been provided.... was this a thread merge?
Old 2007-06-26, 15:49   Link #34
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Heh...yeah it was *nervous laugh*

I mean, I have read the entire thread and I'm willing to accept that people take anime and japanese animation as a whole, but I am more interested in the philosophical aspects of the question. If someone can really tell me they do not differentiate between american cartoons and japanese cartoons that's fine, but I am not looking for a definition of "anime" I am asking what does "anime" or more specifically, "japanese animation" mean to you.

This is mostly an ego-related question, as my first post in the thread implies for the reasons also mentioned therein. I just wish to know what the viewers of anime think of japanese animation, and what they consider "anime"? Like does it have to come from Japan to be considered anime even if it's created by a foreign writer? Or is there more to it than that?
Old 2007-06-26, 16:10   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I *tend* to define anime as any animated work that originates out of the asian portion of the Pacific Rim area (simply because it is the japanese word for animation) and exhibits value systems that originate from those areas.

Since japanese, korean, and Chinese studios are often the grunts for American-produced cartoons (like Animaniacs or Batman), just the source isn't enough. And with the free intermix of ideas and styles, its gotten even tougher to draw the lines.

Something like Gurren-Lagann could be tagged a cartoon OR an anime since it exhibits 'universal traits' and is sci-fi .... but the social mores (-- nudity --) leave it in the anime camp. American value-centered cartoons still operate under some pretty absurd guidelines since they must "think of the children" (so violence is okay but not sex). Whereas Asian societies construct animated works that are designed for adults as well as children.

On the other hand, Kamichu! is so japanese-valued that no one could mistake it for anything else (and it doesn't even have violence or sex as such).

Okay... enough rumination --- at the moment, I'd say the value systems and cultural motifs dictate how I class an animated work ("anime" or "cartoon") rather than any artistic style.
Old 2007-06-26, 16:18   Link #36
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Thank you Vexx, that is exactly what I wanted to see. We all differentiate between japanese animation and american animation in some form or another, I am just curious to see how the general populace differntiates between the two.

And for that matter, where people's preferences lay.