Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-18, 09:39   Link #121
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Mijin Gakure... in FFXI? You mean the Ninja class's job ability with the 2 hour reuse timer? That's pretty much a kamikaze move. I suppose it can apply to what Kiba is doing, although his form in doing so seems more ritualistic like seppuku than kamikaze-ish. In any case he's simply trying to kill himself, that's all that really matters eh.

Last edited by That Other Ninja; 2004-02-18 at 18:09.
Old 2004-02-18, 09:51   Link #122
Anjin
stfu-no-jutsu

Send a message via AIM to Anjin
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja
Mijin Gakure... in FFXI? You mean the Ninja class's job ability with the 2 hour reuse timer? That's pretty much a kamikase move. I suppose it can apply to what Kiba is doing, although his form in doing so seems more ritualistic like seppuku than kamikaze-ish.
Yes, that is what im referring to. I don't think what Kiba is doing is anything CLOSE to Seppuku.. Which was done with a knife and a 'second' waiting to chop off your head... Seppuku itself was very ritualistic.. This is just more of a "oh well your gonna take over my body eh? Well what if I go Captin Ginyu on that ass?" type style if you ask me..

I think the people who are comparing this to Seppuku either don't know enough about it, or just want it to 'be related' because it sounds cool... Like I said, it's more of a 'kamakazi' move.. but that isn't the right name for it.. Maybe Hunter can shed some light if he reads this. Im sure he knows much more about Ancient Japanese Culture then I do.
Old 2004-02-18, 11:33   Link #123
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin
Yes, that is what im referring to. I don't think what Kiba is doing is anything CLOSE to Seppuku.. Which was done with a knife and a 'second' waiting to chop off your head... Seppuku itself was very ritualistic.. This is just more of a "oh well your gonna take over my body eh? Well what if I go Captin Ginyu on that ass?" type style if you ask me..

I think the people who are comparing this to Seppuku either don't know enough about it, or just want it to 'be related' because it sounds cool... Like I said, it's more of a 'kamakazi' move.. but that isn't the right name for it.. Maybe Hunter can shed some light if he reads this. Im sure he knows much more about Ancient Japanese Culture then I do.
... you dont have to have a second to commit sepuku...

IT is very sepuku-style (the artist is japanese. it isnt the french suicide style.) kiba is on his knees... he is cutting open his belly...

It essentially is sepuku... except without the traditional knives/clothes.

but if you are committing sepuku in the middle of nowhere, with no preperation, you dont have these things.
Old 2004-02-18, 11:40   Link #124
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Bah, technicaly you're completely right Anjin, it isn't a seppuku at all because the sepukku indicate the ritual suicide where the Harakiri was practised (harakiri can be literally translates by 'stomach cutting') even if in the battlefield, there weren't really any formal preparations for the seppuku.

edit : and in the other hand, to commit suicide in order to avoid being captured by the enemies on the battlefield was a seppuku, it's even the first form of seppuku existing, probably before the 11th century.

But like TheGreatYakoshi said
Quote:
Seppuku, Harikiri, or just a good ol' self-guttin', doesn't make a difference...just wanna know if it happens often.
So yeah, Kiba's act isn't a seppuku but it's not the point

Last edited by Hunter; 2004-02-18 at 11:56.
Old 2004-02-18, 11:54   Link #125
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Anways Naruto would own Kimimaro and he will make kimimaro use Seppuku muahhahahahhha
Old 2004-02-18, 11:54   Link #126
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
Anways Naruto would own Kimimaro and he will make kimimaro use Seppuku muahhahahahhha
watch for the 1000 years of pain that naruto will inflict on kimimaro *grin*
Old 2004-02-18, 11:57   Link #127
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
IT is very sepuku-style (the artist is japanese. it isnt the french suicide style.)

What?
There is/was a french suicide style?

edit : you know what, forget what I said, i think you used french as you could use any other country here
Old 2004-02-18, 11:59   Link #128
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter

What?
There is/was a french suicide style?
nope. I do however know the french military salute... put both hands above your head, one holding a white flag.
Old 2004-02-18, 12:12   Link #129
Merco
I like pie

Now, This is what I've heard from an asian civ professor so don't call bs on it or anything... But there was a point where he went over seppuku in detail...

Apparently while there is the belly slit and whatnot, what also happens is that after that occurs, the person commiting seppuku is supposed to angle his sword upwards and stab his heart from the center of the belly-slit. (through the diaphragm). The chinese had some insulting name for seppuku (I forgot what it was called though)

But then there's what you guys said before about how a person lived for a few hours after commiting seppuku, harakiri or whatever. This kind of conflicts with my professors description because obviously you die instantly after stabbing the heart.

(hope I wasn't too descriptive or anything)
Old 2004-02-18, 13:42   Link #130
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merco
Now, This is what I've heard from an asian civ professor so don't call bs on it or anything... But there was a point where he went over seppuku in detail...

Apparently while there is the belly slit and whatnot, what also happens is that after that occurs, the person commiting seppuku is supposed to angle his sword upwards and stab his heart from the center of the belly-slit. (through the diaphragm). The chinese had some insulting name for seppuku (I forgot what it was called though)

But then there's what you guys said before about how a person lived for a few hours after commiting seppuku, harakiri or whatever. This kind of conflicts with my professors description because obviously you die instantly after stabbing the heart.

(hope I wasn't too descriptive or anything)
... you can still fuck up and miss your heart.

nothing is stopping the guy from just not doing it all the way.
Old 2004-02-18, 14:07   Link #131
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Still Sepukku geez stop it. Lets talk about medieval years.Who ruled the world between the ages 1400-1700 ?? Lets dicuss that
Old 2004-02-18, 18:06   Link #132
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
Still Sepukku geez stop it. Lets talk about medieval years.Who ruled the world between the ages 1400-1700 ?? Lets dicuss that
For real... so he's trying to kill himself, 'nuff said. What difference does it make if it's 'seppuku' or 'mijin gakure'. People always trying to cover what goes on in their own minds n then dispute them as facts, like they know what's up n they're special for it. Big difference it makes, that's what's up. ;\
Old 2004-02-19, 17:05   Link #133
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
This chapter was so-so. I didn't like Sakon and Ukon's Curse Seal lv.2, it's lame.

Spoiler:
I aggree completetly.
Spoiler:

P.S. Lol, I was gone for 3 days and the forums get a new look, and it appears I will be moded for flaming people now. Damn you mods! Just kidding
Old 2004-02-19, 21:40   Link #134
kitiara
ur local fox demon

Send a message via AIM to kitiara
author should not have three fights at once.... 1) confusing. 2)annoying 3) never gets anything done.... gah... I wanna know what happens to pooor Shika-kun
Old 2004-02-19, 22:32   Link #135
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitiara
author should not have three fights at once.... 1) confusing. 2)annoying 3) never gets anything done.... gah... I wanna know what happens to pooor Shika-kun
Its called suspense, and its obviously working.
Old 2004-02-19, 22:59   Link #136
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyArea
Its called suspense, and its obviously working.
Exactly. Just cuz it's confusing n annoying to u Kitiara... heh.
Old 2004-02-20, 09:13   Link #137
TheGreatYakoshi
The Baka Mangaka Returns!

Hm, interesting new look the forum has now. I was wondering why it was down. Oh well, at least it didn't erase me this time.

Actually, I like the idea of three fights at once. It's the only way Kishimoto-sama could top the Oro-Sarutobi/Naruto-Gaara battles. Though it is slightly aggravating having to wait to see what Shikamaru is going to pull out of his ass to win this one...I hope he can do it without killing Tayuya though--no fair killing off female characters that actually have skills. (Shikamaru's fight is the only one I really care about anyway. )
Old 2004-02-20, 10:21   Link #138
realdeal
The Real Deal

Neji cannot die, hes gotta prove you can change your faith first.

Chouji and Kiba are minor characters, their worthy sacrifices to spice up the anime.

What I think would be cool is if Naruto looses his fight & sasuke somehow has a change of heart and sacrifices himself for Naruto..again and dies. I mean I dont see a future for Sasuke in konoha if any of the rescuers die, so might aswell die in a blaze of glory.

BTW seen all kenshin eps & Ova's but - "But you also run the risk of alienating readers, like when kaoru "died" in Rurouni Kenshin...tons of fans stopped reading the manga." Kaoru dies??
Old 2004-02-20, 10:25   Link #139
TheGreatYakoshi
The Baka Mangaka Returns!

Argh, someone already explained about Kaoru...
Old 2004-02-20, 10:59   Link #140
Anjin
stfu-no-jutsu

Send a message via AIM to Anjin
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal
Neji cannot die, hes gotta prove you can change your faith first.

Chouji and Kiba are minor characters, their worthy sacrifices to spice up the anime.

What I think would be cool is if Naruto looses his fight & sasuke somehow has a change of heart and sacrifices himself for Naruto..again and dies. I mean I dont see a future for Sasuke in konoha if any of the rescuers die, so might aswell die in a blaze of glory.

BTW seen all kenshin eps & Ova's but - "But you also run the risk of alienating readers, like when kaoru "died" in Rurouni Kenshin...tons of fans stopped reading the manga." Kaoru dies??
How can you possibly kill off Sasuke before he has a final confrontation with Itachi? Or with naruto? The entire series is built up around this.. Naruto and his struggle for Acceptance/Hokage, Sasuke all avenger style against Itachi, and the conflict between these two as they work to be the 'strongest.' There is no way Sasuke will die anytime soon in this Manga.

Kiba I can understand, Chouji I can understand.. Shika won't die either, they've built him up too much.. Although a fitting end would be him sacrificing himself to save the team.. Definitly not Sasuke, he doesn't care if they live or die at thsi point, as long as he gets stronger.

If you think about it, he's basically turning into Itachi.. All about the power, not about the family/friends.. Itachi killed off the entire clan.. we don't really know why, but it was probably because 'he could' or didn't want anyone else as powerful as him.. Sasuke is going downt hat same route it seems.
Closed Thread